Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 03-25-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I think for the first time ever the womenís division is the most interesting part of WWE. Itís been getting there the past few years. I donít have interest in most of the rest of the card is the problem so I wonít be watching. Probably will just watch highlights after the show.
Old 03-25-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Again, if WWE had built Corbin better, they wouldn't have had this situation. But like I mentioned before, Angle is one of the best ever and he shouldn't be retiring in a match against a midcarder who hasn't gotten over. Put him with an A-list star
I don't really know what they could have done to build Corbin better. It's not like he didn't get a shot.

As for past wrestlers with failed potential, I was a WWF fan growing up (basically after I saw Wrestlemania 2 I was hooked). I would occasionally read the sheets but I never really watched WCW (which I think was on cable at the time, and I didn't have cable). Every time a major WCW star came over to WWF they were booked horribly, or at least to the point that I didn't really understand (as a kid) why these guys were so huge in other feds. Dusty Rhodes, Terry Taylor, Public Enemy, Kerry Von Erich, Barry Windham, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, Vader, even the Road Warriors. I understand why Vince did it, but it seemed so dumb to me that he basically purposefully sabotaged some if not all of these guys.
Old 03-25-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hart Foundation (Brett and Anvil) will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2019.
Old 03-25-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I don't really know what they could have done to build Corbin better. It's not like he didn't get a shot.

As for past wrestlers with failed potential, I was a WWF fan growing up (basically after I saw Wrestlemania 2 I was hooked). I would occasionally read the sheets but I never really watched WCW (which I think was on cable at the time, and I didn't have cable). Every time a major WCW star came over to WWF they were booked horribly, or at least to the point that I didn't really understand (as a kid) why these guys were so huge in other feds. Dusty Rhodes, Terry Taylor, Public Enemy, Kerry Von Erich, Barry Windham, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, Vader, even the Road Warriors. I understand why Vince did it, but it seemed so dumb to me that he basically purposefully sabotaged some if not all of these guys.
That to me is probably the thing about Vince I canít stand the most. The fact that if a wrestler isnít his creation in many cases theyíre viewed as lesser talents despite being huge names elsewhere. Especially after WWF/E bought out WCW and ECW and so many guys with potential were just wasted or brought in for the sole purpose of being buried, because basically Vince needed his ego stroked and to really hammer it home that he won. I mean the guy is so petty that he had to do it again even fairly recently when he brought in Sting.
Old 03-25-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
The Hart Foundation (Brett and Anvil) will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2019.
Well deserved and long overdue. In terms of the wrestlers just being the two of them and not the stable is the right call, but I am surprised that Jimmy Hart isn't going in with them though.
Old 03-25-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised you guys are not partying that Nikki Bella retired.
Old 03-25-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Didn't she "retire" after the engagement angle at WM? Or whatever PPV that was.
Old 03-25-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Fritz Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich, David Von Erich, Mike Von Erich, Chris Von Erich, Ross Von Erich, Marshall Von Erich, Lacey Von Erich.

I didn't count Waldo Von Erich and Lance Von Erich as they were just gimmick Von Erich's.
The last name is a gimmick and Waldo has as much claim to it as Fritz does, Waldo just didn't spawn a family of wrestlers that continued to use it.
Old 03-25-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Fritz Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich, David Von Erich, Mike Von Erich, Chris Von Erich, Ross Von Erich, Marshall Von Erich, Lacey Von Erich.

I didn't count Waldo Von Erich and Lance Von Erich as they were just gimmick Von Erich's.
Ok thatís exactly the 9 I was thinking you meant. 👍

Do Kevinís sons still wrestle?

wasnt Lance actually from South Africa or something?
Old 03-25-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, its a damn shame they didn't go in while Anvil was alive. I'm genuinely bummed out by this.
Old 03-25-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The last name is a gimmick and Waldo has as much claim to it as Fritz does, Waldo just didn't spawn a family of wrestlers that continued to use it.

Fair enough. David was the best of all the Adkisson's.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Ok thatís exactly the 9 I was thinking you meant. 👍

Do Kevinís sons still wrestle?

wasnt Lance actually from South Africa or something?
I'm not sure if they do. I just remember seeing them on tna a couple times and some indy matches. They were pretty good. I always thought it would be cool if Kevin, his sons and Lacey went on to achieve something in wrestling so they could resurrect the Von Erich name and not have tragedy and sadness be the last thing people remember about them.

As for Lance, wikipedia says hes American, but I don't know much about him.
Old 03-25-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Didn't she "retire" after the engagement angle at WM? Or whatever PPV that was.
Yeah, her wrestling has been so infrequent that it seemed like she already retired. Besides, Nikki ended up being decent in the ring. Brie was the one who was cringingly bad. And regardless of what you think of her wrestling skills, having a 10+ year career in the WWE is awfully impressive (especially for a woman).
Old 03-26-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not when you look at Alicia Fox's career... *sigh*
Old 03-26-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Vince really fucked Asuka tonight by taking the title away from her, unless Asuka is added to the title match main event, which I doubt. They really fucked her out of Wrestlemania.
Old 03-26-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And to me, the reason there's a women's main event this year at WM is because of the amazing match Asuka and Charlotte had last year at WM. That was the match of the night and no one would have complained if it was the last match of the evening.
Old 03-26-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is the main event match even going to work now due to what happened on Smackdown? Trying not to spoil it in case there's folks that don't know.
Old 03-26-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can’t believe how terrible the WWE has become. They promised change this year but really? This is it? They have pretty much ruined all these guys for the sake of putting Kofi Kingston in a title match? He should NEVER be a world champion. He should have gotten his title match at Fastlane, lost and that should have been it.
Old 03-26-19, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Vince really fucked Asuka tonight by taking the title away from her, unless Asuka is added to the title match main event, which I doubt. They really fucked her out of Wrestlemania.
This match was very deflating, and you knew the outcome as soon as it was announced.
Old 03-27-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay I turned it on and saw the start of the match and figured there was no way Charlotte was going to win the title from Asuka (who is beautiful btw and I'm not really into Asian woman but damn) So is the point to merge the titles since the women jump back and forth between the shows?
Old 03-27-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere (if you can believe the rumors) that they were going to have a title unification match at WrestleMania. It makes you wonder if WWE is going to do away with the roster split due to Smackdown moving to Fox in the fall.
Old 03-27-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere (if you can believe the rumors) that they were going to have a title unification match at WrestleMania. It makes you wonder if WWE is going to do away with the roster split due to Smackdown moving to Fox in the fall.
They're doing some really fly by the seat of their pants shit if that's true.
Old 03-27-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the titles need a refresh. Except for the new women's tag titles, they all look dated and cheap. After WM they should completely work stories to destroy the old ones and bring out something new.

Also keep in mind what is brewing long term. The 4 horse women vs. 4 MMA Women.
Old 03-27-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I can’t believe how terrible the WWE has become. They promised change this year but really? This is it? They have pretty much ruined all these guys for the sake of putting Kofi Kingston in a title match? He should NEVER be a world champion. He should have gotten his title match at Fastlane, lost and that should have been it.
Nah, they have done a great job with the Kofi stuff, it has generated interest and nobody has been buried. A loss doesn't mean the person is buried, just not true. Also, looking like this is setting up a heel turn for Big E and/or Xavier down the road taking responsibility for Kofi getting his shot at the title/winning the title.
Old 03-27-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean just for the women's title or the men's title as well?

I don't see how that Charlotte/Asuka thing adds any heat to the match that wasn't already there.
Old 03-27-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You mean just for the women's title or the men's title as well?

I don't see how that Charlotte/Asuka thing adds any heat to the match that wasn't already there.
The Women's title. I wish I could find the article I was reading last night about it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.