Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 02-06-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
I'm not spoilering that HOF induction since it's only a rumor so if you don't want it "spoiled" stop reading.

Yeah they definitely deserve to be in and I'm assuming that his being done for Natalya but it would be nice for the other members to be included too. Pillman, Owen and Davey should be able to go in on there own merits as well but there are a couple things stopping that:

-Pillman: Brian Pillman Jr wrestles for MLW right now so WWE probably would not want him receiving Pillman's induction. Plus there was controversy with Melanie Pillman and Pillmans daughter about how his kids never got any of Pillman's money since Melanie spent it all on drugs, and Melanie says that WWE never gave her as much as she should have gotten.

-Davey Boy: WWE probably doesn't want Harry on stage, and Diana Hart is always kind of a maybe in terms of how she will act.

Owen: Nuff said. Martha would bash WWE endlessly, and his kids want nothing to do with the company either.

Old 02-07-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
I'm not spoilering that HOF induction since it's only a rumor so if you don't want it "spoiled" stop reading.

Yeah they definitely deserve to be in and I'm assuming that his being done for Natalya but it would be nice for the other members to be included too. Pillman, Owen and Davey should be able to go in on there own merits as well but there are a couple things stopping that:

-Pillman: Brian Pillman Jr wrestles for MLW right now so WWE probably would not want him receiving Pillman's induction. Plus there was controversy with Melanie Pillman and Pillmans daughter about how his kids never got any of Pillman's money since Melanie spent it all on drugs, and Melanie says that WWE never gave her as much as she should have gotten.

-Davey Boy: WWE probably doesn't want Harry on stage, and Diana Hart is always kind of a maybe in terms of how she will act.

Owen: Nuff said. Martha would bash WWE endlessly, and his kids want nothing to do with the company either.

Hart Foundation was one of my favorite teams as a kid but I still don't think putting Neidhart in as a solo act would ever be justified.95% of his known national work was as a member of his team with Bret.Putting him in solo would be like putting in Hawk,Animal,Ax or Smash,Ricky Morton as indiv entrants.
Old 02-07-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone watch NXT last night? I think I have a new favorite wrestler.
Old 02-08-19, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Hart Foundation was one of my favorite teams as a kid but I still don't think putting Neidhart in as a solo act would ever be justified.95% of his known national work was as a member of his team with Bret.Putting him in solo would be like putting in Hawk,Animal,Ax or Smash,Ricky Morton as indiv entrants.
Hawk, Animal and Ricky Morton. Agree 100%. But Bill Eadie and Barry Darsow had long careers. Demolition was only a team for 5 years. It was obviously the most success either had, but both of them had other successful runs and gimmicks throughout the years in other territories and promotions. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think both guys could go in independently of each other based on their own merits. Like if one of them made up with Vince and the other didn't. Obviously going in as Demolition would make the most sense, but I think either could go in solo.. The question I have though, is if they do ever go in, does Crush go in with them? Or could we see something like the Horsemen where they bypassed Ole and put in Windham. Would they ever put in just Smash and Crush?

Also, speaking of teams going in, The Midnight Express, I'd assume Bobby, Dennis, Stan and Cornette would be the only inductees. Norvell Austin I'd say for sure would be a no. But Randy Rose would be a wildcard because of his second stint with Dennis Condrey in the Midnight Express vs Midnight Express feud.
Old 02-08-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, Rose was never a part of the "Cornette Express". Those are the only 4 that go in when they eventually get in.
Old 02-08-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To nobody’s surprise, Kenny Omega signed with AEW.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/aew-d...live-coverage/
Old 02-10-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the KayFabe Memories Forum -former WWF jobber Salvatore Bellomo has passed away from cancer at the age of 67.
Old 02-12-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what the hell is the deal with Becky getting suspended. If this turns out to be a triple threat, FUCK VINCE!!!!! He just ruined WM
Old 02-12-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At this point I've even stopped watching the YouTube clips of the show's because they are so bad.

They spent five years shoving Roman Reigns down peoples throats despite the audience utter disdain for him. It's not shocking that they'd mess up the most anticipated WM main event in nearly a decade. Yikes. Just yikes.
Old 02-12-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pedro Morales passed away.
Old 02-12-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pedro Morales -RIP.

He reminds me of how good the booking was in pro wrestling back in the 1970s.

Bruno lost to Ivan Koloff and then Morales beat Koloff to become World Champ.

Basically that's what they did when they switched from Backlund to Hogan with the Iron Sheik being the middle man.
Old 02-12-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was booking really better than (I realize you said it was good and didn't compare the two, so I'm asking)?

Not that I want to go back to squash matches, but I think the product would be a lot fresher if they didn't have to fill so much tv time between PPV payoffs and give away matches over and over and over again. Plus obviously the regional competition and wrestlers going back and forth brought some freshness to the roster as well.
Old 02-12-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Was booking really better than (I realize you said it was good and didn't compare the two, so I'm asking)?

Not that I want to go back to squash matches, but I think the product would be a lot fresher if they didn't have to fill so much tv time between PPV payoffs and give away matches over and over and over again. Plus obviously the regional competition and wrestlers going back and forth brought some freshness to the roster as well.
I've been watching pro wrestling since 1970 and today's booking is like watching a rerun of the Andy Griffith Show for the 50th time. They have just run out of ideas. No thanks to 3 hours of RAW and 2 hours of Smackdown and who knows about the PPVs(since I stopped watching them 2 years ago).

Back in the hey day of pro wrestling everything was fresh and exciting and today's booking is dull and boring (tv ratings speak that).

Just watch the WWE Vault. I am currently watching Mid-Atlantic. Some amazing talent. The forerunner for Championship Wrestling(TBS).

Wrestling needs to re-invent itself.

I think having live shows is overrated and maybe go back to tape the shows(or most of the segments) but since the internet prevents anything surprising from happening then there should be behnd the scenes work arounds where the public won't be able to figure out just what happened(or something).

You could still televise house shows (with less hype and more unpredictability).
Old 02-12-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
So what the hell is the deal with Becky getting suspended. If this turns out to be a triple threat, FUCK VINCE!!!!! He just ruined WM
It's not that hard to understand. They are trying to do two things: protect Ronda since she will get booed out of the building and it's hard to say how she will handle it(see that awful promo she did) so putting Charlotte in there takes away some of the heat. And the second is there doing the old McMahon's going to screw you and put obstacles in your way to get the title routine we've seen for the last 20 years. Hell at this point they might as well just start calling her "Stone Cold" Becky Lynch.
Old 02-12-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This match was ALWAYS supposed to be Charlotte vs Ronda. Becky just upset the apple cart by getting more over than they could have ever possibly imagined. Then she spoiled the burn off Becky vs Ronda match by getting injured before Survivor Series in the coolest way possible. The only way Becky gets in is if it is a triple threat. I resigned myself to that as the best case scenario months ago.

What I didn't like is if they were just going to "suspend" her why have her grovel to HHH and Steph. Just seemed stupid.
Old 02-13-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AEW's Double or Nothing show sold out today in 4 minutes. Wish I had tried to get tickets because the card looks good so far.

Old 02-13-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're committed to it - there are tickets on Stubhub.

https://www.stubhub.com/all-elite-wr...sort=price+asc

Expensive - but might be worth it for some.
Old 02-13-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how big of a venue they could have sold out. 30 thousand? Maybe more?
Old 02-14-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping AEW will bring new life to a dead product. I think they could have sold 30,000 to 40,000 tickets if they had the venue.
Old 02-14-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope so too although I suspect it'll be a little campy for me.
Old 02-14-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The question isn't the size of the arena they can fill out. It's if they can keep people coming back frequently whenever their distribution model is unveiled. I have no doubt they can sell out mid size arenas in major markets 2 or 3 times a year. But if you think 10K+ people will show up every week in a random city for another wrestling based product then you are likely wrong. I'd imagine it would be smart for them to have a home base around the size of 800 - 900 seats ala PWG, TNA circa 2005, etc.
Old 02-14-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jimmy Uso was arrested at some point this week. Apparently Naomi got stopped by the cops while driving the wrong direction and the TMZ report says that the car reeked of booze.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/12...ested.html?p=1
Old 02-14-19, 04:04 PM

Undertaker will appear at Starcast, which would be his first non-WWE wrestling appearance in like forever
Old 02-14-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Jimmy Uso was arrested at some point this week. Apparently Naomi got stopped by the cops while driving the wrong direction and the TMZ report says that the car reeked of booze.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/12...ested.html?p=1
That's weird that it doesn't mention Naomi getting arrested on DUI, unless she wasn't drinking and is just a terrible driver or something.
Old 02-14-19, 06:48 PM

This is one of the funniest accounts to follow on Twitter right now

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.