Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 09-04-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Sources tell me that the Zeke deal is roughly 6 years 90 mil, and will get done today.
Told ya. But I was waiting for the most important part, 50 mil guaranteed. That's what matters, the rest is funny money.
And as usual, I expect this contract to be heavily front loaded. So they can probably get out of it after 4 years with
acceptable/minimal dead cap hit.
Old 09-04-19, 06:04 PM

Unbelievable that a guy can sit out with 2 years on his original rookie contract and then get $90 million. Jerry should have let him sit until his beard turned gray. The future of the NFL looks bleak if this is the new norm.
Old 09-04-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 3nthebag View Post
Unbelievable that a guy can sit out with 2 years on his original rookie contract and then get $90 million. Jerry should have let him sit until his beard turned gray. The future of the NFL looks bleak if this is the new norm.
I brought up this point in the offseason thread and basically everyone says the the current CBA is bad. That's why no one wants to honor their rookie deal with 1-2 years left as long as they have the stats that warrant a raise. All these rookies according to most are supposedly being cheated out of money.
Old 09-04-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Exactly. Because all the owners honor THEIR end of the contracts they give out to players, even those who have bad seasons.
Old 09-04-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can understand it especially for Running Backs. They can basically use you up before your rookie deal is through and then you don't get a payday. And it's not like you can take a shorter deal and bet on yourself or anything.
Old 09-05-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Exactly. Because all the owners honor THEIR end of the contracts they give out to players, even those who have bad seasons.
Yeah. I hardly see why this means "the future of the NFL looks bleak." And why care really as a fan? They get paid what the market will bear. The money either ends up in their pocket or the owner's pocket. Far better the player's IMO.
Old 09-05-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Listening to the NFL Network on Sirius, the "bet" is that when the new TV contracts are negotiated (I think in 2 years), the expectation is that the NFL will get as much as 50% more revenue than their current deal. These players are probably being advised to sit out as they know the rookie contracts are as good as obsolete and even signing for absurd money now will be a pittance in 3-4 years (as is usually the case). That is how Jerry is going to sign all these players to really nice contracts... he's betting on himself to get a great TV contract done; and I'm sure he will.
Old 09-05-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

50% is a lot. Not sure about that, but it will be a significant bump, with legalized betting spreading being a huge reason for it. People who have a bet on a game are far more likely to stay tuned to a game longer. Then there is in-game wagering.
Old 09-05-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. I’m glad more of the great unwashed can donate more money to institutionalized gambling and billionaire owners. (I’m OK with millionaire players getting more because they’re the ones doing the work and destroying their bodies and brains.)
Old 09-05-19, 04:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Antonio Brown has gone crayyyy.