Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 08-31-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Decker is a Colts fan.

What’s your take on Clowney as a player, Osiris? I know he was the first overall pick but haven’t followed him much since.
Elite run defender, above average pass rusher. Doesn't finish alot (ie sacks), but always in the backfield causing havoc, hence the high number of pressures and tackles for loss. Huge loss for the Texans.
Old 08-31-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Elite run defender, above average pass rusher. Doesn't finish alot (ie sacks), but always in the backfield causing havoc, hence the high number of pressures and tackles for loss. Huge loss for the Texans.
So even if he doesn’t rack up numbers for the Seahawks, he should be a big boost for the defense as a whole. I look forward to watching him play.
Old 08-31-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck Bill O'Brien
Old 08-31-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Fuck Bill O'Brien
Care to elaborate ?
Old 08-31-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Tunsil and Stills to Texans, for a 1st rounder and other players.
Old 08-31-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the Texans still get their OT, just for different assets.
Old 08-31-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Now sounds like 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder, possibly more.

Dolphins tanking for Tua, apparently.
Old 08-31-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Texans also trading for Carlos Hyde. It’s like they just realized they didn’t get the pieces they wanted for Clowney and now have to make some other deals.
Old 08-31-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to be sick to my stomach. Not only is the present looking grim, we just traded away the future. TWO 1st rounders AND a 2nd rounder for Tunsil? Are you fucking kidding me? I don't care about Stills or the 4th rounder the Texans got as well, that doesn't make the trade any less lopsided in Miami's favor.
Old 08-31-19, 05:25 PM

Buffalo is going to shock the NFL world and at least make the AFC Championship!
I know that I will get tons of backlash but just remember this come the end of January.
Old 08-31-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to be sick to my stomach. Not only is the present looking grim, we just traded away the future. TWO 1st rounders AND a 2nd rounder for Tunsil? Are you fucking kidding me? I don't care about Stills or the 4th rounder the Texans got as well, that doesn't make the trade any less lopsided in Miami's favor.
As a fan of an opposing division rival this makes me laugh, this could have all been avoided if they had just given up a few extra mid round picks to secure Andre Dillard. Now they have to pay Tunsil a big contract as well. The Clowney trade was horrible too. Pass rushers are very valuable commodites (next to franchise QB's to me) and they only get a 3rd??? I'm not sure how they managed to screw that one up.
Old 08-31-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hard to not like that deal for Seattle. Mingo’s long been rumored to be cut for cap space, and Martin’s a backup who was a sixth-round pick last year.

Anyway, shit deal for Houston. I don't think I can truly be a fan until Bill O'Brien is fired. He's the biggest problem with this team.
The Athletic gave trade grades : A for Seattle ​​​​​, F​​​​​​ for Houston

Don't think I have ever seen that grade disparity in a Trade Grades article before.

Spoiler:

Trade grade (Seahawks): A

Is it possible that Clowney doesn’t work out or that he has injury issues or that he leaves Seattle after the season? Sure. And because of the timing of the trade, the Seahawks are not allowed to sign him to an extension right now. So there’s a scenario where Clowney is a one-year rental who signs a long-term deal elsewhere in the offseason. But the reality is even if that happens, this is 100 percent a risk worth taking. The Seahawks have a quarterback in his prime in Russell Wilson and potentially their best offensive line in years. They are in win-now mode, and Clowney gives them a better chance to make a run in 2019. If he leaves after the season, all they gave up was a third-round pick and a pair of linebackers. Plus, the Seahawks would be well-positioned to get a third-round compensatory pick back in this “worst-case” scenario.

There are also huge potential long-term benefits here. The Seahawks were one of the teams that Clowney wanted to join, so it’s fair to assume he has at least some interest in eventually signing long term after the season. Carroll is a master at getting the most out of immensely talented players whose work ethic or skill set is questioned elsewhere. There is a very realistic scenario where Carroll unleashes Clowney, he produces his best season as a pro, and he’s eager to sign a long-term deal in Seattle after the season. General manager John Schneider deserves a lot of credit for acquiring a player with huge upside and giving up so little in return.

Trade grade (Texans): F

With most trades, you can at least see the perspective from both sides. But this seems like an example of a terrible process by a franchise that’s operating without a general manager and looks completely lost.

Let’s look at the big picture. The Texans have one of the most valuable assets in football: a stud quarterback in Deshaun Watson who is on a rookie deal. Yet they have done a horrendous job of maximizing their chances at a Super Bowl run while he’s still relatively inexpensive. Last year, the Texans gave up a hit or a sack on 30.35 percent of their pass plays. That was the second-worst percentage in the NFL. Rather than aggressively move to improve their offensive line, they sat back and let the Eagles jump them to draft pro-ready left tackle Andre Dillard in the first round of the draft. The Texans inexplicably have held on to $35.8 million in cap space, the third most in the NFL. They have shown no urgency in quickly building around Watson. That has to be especially frustrating for Texans fans, given Andrew Luck’s retirement and the state of the AFC South, which is wide open for the taking.

There’s definitely a case to be made that the Texans have better information (specifically medical) than other teams, and so if they were uncomfortable signing Clowney to a big extension, perhaps they had valid reasons. But if that were the case, then they should have aggressively moved to trade him in the spring like the Chiefs did with Dee Ford and the Seahawks did with Clark. Once it got late in the summer, Houston’s options became limited. At that point, they should have made it clear to Clowney that they weren’t going to trade him unless they got valuable compensation. He would have eventually had to play on the franchise tag, which wouldn’t have been a complete disaster. At least the Texans could have tried to make a deep playoff run with Clowney in 2019. They then could have revisited their options with him after the season and at the very least could have eventually gotten the compensatory pick.

The Texans fired Brian Gaine in June and haven’t replaced him. They decided late that they were moving on from Clowney, discovered that he had influence over where he landed, settled for a weak compensation package and looked very much like a franchise that is operating without a GM.

Old 08-31-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Ironically, I have 2 future tickets -- Houston to win the AFC and Seattle to win it all. I guess this helps me.
Old 08-31-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I really wish the Skins are doing what the Fins are doing. Have Trent Williams who is disgruntled. They have no hope....just totally suck and "earn" a high draft pick. Perpetual 6-8 wins each season gets you nothing.
Old 08-31-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Athletic gave trade grades : A for Seattle ​​​​​, F​​​​​​ for Houston

Don't think I have ever seen that grade disparity in a Trade Grades article before.

Spoiler:

Trade grade (Seahawks): A

Is it possible that Clowney doesn’t work out or that he has injury issues or that he leaves Seattle after the season? Sure. And because of the timing of the trade, the Seahawks are not allowed to sign him to an extension right now. So there’s a scenario where Clowney is a one-year rental who signs a long-term deal elsewhere in the offseason. But the reality is even if that happens, this is 100 percent a risk worth taking. The Seahawks have a quarterback in his prime in Russell Wilson and potentially their best offensive line in years. They are in win-now mode, and Clowney gives them a better chance to make a run in 2019. If he leaves after the season, all they gave up was a third-round pick and a pair of linebackers. Plus, the Seahawks would be well-positioned to get a third-round compensatory pick back in this “worst-case” scenario.

There are also huge potential long-term benefits here. The Seahawks were one of the teams that Clowney wanted to join, so it’s fair to assume he has at least some interest in eventually signing long term after the season. Carroll is a master at getting the most out of immensely talented players whose work ethic or skill set is questioned elsewhere. There is a very realistic scenario where Carroll unleashes Clowney, he produces his best season as a pro, and he’s eager to sign a long-term deal in Seattle after the season. General manager John Schneider deserves a lot of credit for acquiring a player with huge upside and giving up so little in return.

Trade grade (Texans): F

With most trades, you can at least see the perspective from both sides. But this seems like an example of a terrible process by a franchise that’s operating without a general manager and looks completely lost.

Let’s look at the big picture. The Texans have one of the most valuable assets in football: a stud quarterback in Deshaun Watson who is on a rookie deal. Yet they have done a horrendous job of maximizing their chances at a Super Bowl run while he’s still relatively inexpensive. Last year, the Texans gave up a hit or a sack on 30.35 percent of their pass plays. That was the second-worst percentage in the NFL. Rather than aggressively move to improve their offensive line, they sat back and let the Eagles jump them to draft pro-ready left tackle Andre Dillard in the first round of the draft. The Texans inexplicably have held on to $35.8 million in cap space, the third most in the NFL. They have shown no urgency in quickly building around Watson. That has to be especially frustrating for Texans fans, given Andrew Luck’s retirement and the state of the AFC South, which is wide open for the taking.

There’s definitely a case to be made that the Texans have better information (specifically medical) than other teams, and so if they were uncomfortable signing Clowney to a big extension, perhaps they had valid reasons. But if that were the case, then they should have aggressively moved to trade him in the spring like the Chiefs did with Dee Ford and the Seahawks did with Clark. Once it got late in the summer, Houston’s options became limited. At that point, they should have made it clear to Clowney that they weren’t going to trade him unless they got valuable compensation. He would have eventually had to play on the franchise tag, which wouldn’t have been a complete disaster. At least the Texans could have tried to make a deep playoff run with Clowney in 2019. They then could have revisited their options with him after the season and at the very least could have eventually gotten the compensatory pick.

The Texans fired Brian Gaine in June and haven’t replaced him. They decided late that they were moving on from Clowney, discovered that he had influence over where he landed, settled for a weak compensation package and looked very much like a franchise that is operating without a GM.

The headline of that article: “Grading the Trade: Seahawks Fleece Texans in Jadaveon Clowney Deal”
Old 08-31-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dam it I don't want the Seahawks to have their own Bosa type player
Old 08-31-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Tunstil the new Orlando Pace or Ogden?

Don't know what the hell the Texans were thinking and this might be the first time in this century the Dolphins made a good deal.
Old 08-31-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, what's your problem with the Texans? They aren't a dirty team or have any individually polarizing players, nor do they have any real rivalries with any opposing teams, outside maybe the former Houston team, the Titans.

Anyway, shit deal for Houston. I don't think I can truly be a fan until Bill O'Brien is fired. He's the biggest problem with this team.
Dallas is the team to hate in Texas.

Old 09-01-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Care to elaborate ?
I'll take this one. On the surface it might look like O'Brien is doing a good job. 3 division titles in 5 years, with an 11-5 record last year. But if you look beyond that, you see that all that "success" is fool's gold. Since O'Brien took over in 2014, the Texans have never had an offense ranked better than 20th, even though he is supposedly an offensive guru. He is as much responsible for the QB carousel before Watson got here as the front office was. Vouching for and believing he could turn guys like Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler, Ryan Mallet, Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick into competent QBs that could run his offense. His offense is dull and predictable, and only Watson's improvisational skills when plays break down have made the offense not a complete shitshow.
He is horrible at game management. Doesn't call timeouts when he should, and does when he shouldn't. Punts when he should go for it, doesn't punt when he should. Texans fans joke about his offense calling it the "all field goal offense" due to O'Brien's conservative playcalling. Not an exaggeration either, pretty sure Fairbairn led the league in made and attempted field goals.
His team comes out unprepared all the time. No ability to make in game or half time adjustments. If the pregame plan isn't working, we're fucked. He has a bad record against non AFC South opponents, and a horrible one against teams over .500. Feels like anytime we play a playoff caliber team we get curbstomped. And finally, 1-3 in the playoffs, with the 3 losses being embarrassing blowouts and the 1 win against a Raiders team that started their backup QB. It's now fairly obvious that O'Brien took advantage of a very weak AFC South but has not had an actually good team since he's been here.

And now that he's the defacto GM, he's proven to be even worse at that job than he is as a coach. Our defense, while never elite in O'Brien's tenure (it's always been a bend but don't break kind of defense) just got significantly worse with the trade of Clowney. Clowney and Watt were the only efficient pass rushers on the defensive line. Now that Clowney is gone, defenses can focus on stopping JJ and they'll have the time needed to throw on our garbage secondary (the 2nd weakest unit on the team, behind the infamously bad OL).

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-01-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-01-19, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vikings only going with 2 QBs.

Head Coach Mike Zimmer ripped last year's third string QB Kyle Sloter before releasing him.

Funny he had the pass team passing rating in pre season.

He has never thrown a pass in an NFL game.

Why doesn't Zimmer rip Kirk Cousins(never won a playoff game) or back up Sean Mannion(has thrown 53 passes in regular season with -0- TDs,yes let me repeat that -0- TD passes)?

Talk about horrible QBs ,Zimmer should talk about Sean Mannion,
Old 09-01-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shady to KC. I assume Damien Williams is still the starter, but his fantasy owners are sweating.

Jets cut their third-round pick.

Seahawks keep Geno Smith and drop Paxton Lynch. Good thing Russell Wilson never misses games!
Seahawks cut Geno. They now only have one QB on the roster so they’ll probably try to bring him back when the two-for-one Clowney trade is finalized.
Old 09-01-19, 10:52 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe Seahawks pick up Brian Hoyer. He's a very good backup QB.
Old 09-01-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
maybe Seahawks pick up Brian Hoyer. He's a very good backup QB.
I’d be fine with that. It might come down to who’s a better fit for their system, though, rather than who’s a better player.
Old 09-01-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jets cut their third-round pick.
And your team signed him to their practice squad. I'll bet you a dollar (I make bets that the loser can actually pay off, not "Bet you a million dollars that...") he never plays a regular season down for the Seahawks.
Old 09-01-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Raiders claim DeShone Kaizer off waivers and now have four QBs on their roster to go along with Carr, Glennon and Gruden-favorite Peterman.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.