Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 01-11-19, 08:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Chuck Pagano replaces Fangio as Bears DC.
Old 01-12-19, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Pfewww, looks like Kris Richard is staying in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1083844001780940802

Thank goodness. I was really worried about that. Cowboys will probably promote him to "Assistant Head Coach" or something like that. Marinelli has already stated he doesn't care about titles, so it won't bother him if Richard is technically above him now, assuming he doesn't retire after this season.
Old 01-12-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by collven View Post
Thank goodness. I was really worried about that. Cowboys will probably promote him to "Assistant Head Coach" or something like that. Marinelli has already stated he doesn't care about titles, so it won't bother him if Richard is technically above him now, assuming he doesn't retire after this season.
Yup, Marinelli doesn't care about titles. But I think he'll retire (he wanted to retire last year), and Richard will become DC.
Old 01-14-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, Marinelli doesn't care about titles. But I think he'll retire (he wanted to retire last year), and Richard will become DC.
He certainly didn't when he went 0-16 as our head coach.
Old 01-14-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Greg Roman is the Ravens new O coordinator and he can replicate the magic he had with Kaep with Lamar Jackson
Old 01-14-19, 10:57 PM
Banned

Bears are saying they may pursue Kareem Hunt. Isnít this ray rice all over? He wonít be playing next year will he?
Old 01-15-19, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would look really bad for NFL if Kareem Hunt plays next year, so my guess is that he will be on the commissioner's list or something like that.
Old 01-15-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN is reporting that based on the language of the contract for the new coaches that got recently got hired, that the owners are preparing themselves for some kind of work stoppage in 2021.

Based on my research, the last regular season stoppage was the 1987 strike which shortened the season to 15 games. There was a lockout in 2011 but only preseason games were lost and the regular season was not affected.

ESPN article

I'm thinking that this time, there will be some regular season games that will be lost as the Players Union are not really happy with the TNF games plus Goodel's power as the Commissioner.

NFL players’ union leader says 2021 labor war ‘is almost a virtual certainty’

By Matt Bonesteel
August 18, 2017
Four years of labor discussions. Great. (Bill Feig/AP)The NFL collective bargaining agreement runs through 2021, meaning we are guaranteed four more years of labor peace. That doesn’t mean the two sides aren’t already preparing for war.

Speaking this week to MMQB’s Albert Breer, NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith said everyone — team owners, players, fans — should expect the league to grind to a halt when the CBA expires.

“I think that the likelihood of either a strike or a lockout in 2021 is almost a virtual certainty,” he said, before running through the NFL’s recent labor history.

“I don’t know now, but let’s look at our history,” Smith said. “The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn’t want to give the owners a chance to opt out and take back the gains that we currently have … So we have a new deal where if it doesn’t get fixed you head into a certain small-A armageddon.”

Smith has rattled his saber before. In January, after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the team owners expressed an interest in extending the current deal, Smith said that wasn’t going to happen without significant changes to the CBA.

“There’s not gonna be an extension of the CBA,” Smith told The Post’s Mark Maske. “I don’t know what he’s thinking when he says extension. But there’s not gonna be an extension of the CBA. If the owners are interested in talking about issues that are currently covered by the CBA or issues that aren’t currently covered by the CBA and they want to have a renegotiation on some of those issues, we’ll have a renegotiation of those issues. But there’s not going to be a 2025 [or] 2027 addendum to the CBA that says, ‘We’re good with this.’

“I don’t think that’s what he meant when he said extension. But I don’t spend a whole heck of a lot of time trying to unpack what other people are thinking when they say stuff.”

A big sticking point will be the powers given to Goodell as commissioner. After the Deflategate brouhaha and the current war of words over Ezekiel Elliott, the union would prefer that an independent arbitrator decide player-conduct matters instead of Goodell, who has nearly unchecked authority to punish players as he sees fit. The two sides nearly agreed to amend the CBA to strip Goodell of those powers, but it all fell apart.

“The CBA evolves all the time,” Smith told Maske. “The best example is drug policy. So, I think it was a year and a half, two years ago the players thought — we thought — that we had an agreement, a stand-alone agreement on commissioner discipline that included neutral arbitration by a mutually selected group of judges. And at the last minute, they made the decision that they didn’t want to do a stand-alone agreement, that they wanted to do it as a part of something else, no. So if they want to talk about a renegotiation of important issues — and obviously commissioner discipline will come up — either it will get done or it won’t.”

As PFT’s Mike Florio points out, the NFL’s owners are seemingly happy with the status quo and could be willing to lock out the players or let them strike, with the assumption that few of them truly want to actually start missing game checks. That could change if the NFLPA girds them for labor war by warning those players who still plan to be playing in 2021 to start saving their money. In any case, what’s shaping up to be a protracted, messy battle is only beginning.
Washington Post article

Last edited by LorenzoL; 01-15-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Adam Gase and his crazy eyes.
Old 01-15-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Adam clearly does not know what he got himself into. He was probably surprised to find out that the Jets actually play games in New Jersey!
Old 01-15-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker View Post
Bears are saying they may pursue Kareem Hunt. Isnít this ray rice all over? He wonít be playing next year will he?
The difference is Hunt can still play and is not washed up

The players should have never let Demaurice Smith represent them and he will be responsible if their is a work stoppage
Old 01-17-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vikings hire Gary Kubiak as Assistant Head Coach and his son Klint Kubiak as QB Coach.

Gary Kubiak joining Vikings as assistant head coach, offensive advisor - StarTribune.com
Old 01-17-19, 12:37 PM

I like the Jets' hire of Gregg Williams, maybe moreso than their head coach decision. Actually, definitely moreso.

Looking down the road, we now have someone who can step in should Gase be fired mid-season (as a Jets' fan, you become accustomed to thinking this way). It's now been made clear that the decision was made on Todd Bowles after the embarrassing loss to Buffalo in week 10, and I have to believe the only reason he was allowed to ride out the season was that there wasn't anyone on staff who could step up and be interim HC. Having an obvious lame duck as head coach is detrimental to a team's and players' development.
Old 01-17-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I like the Jets' hire of Gregg Williams, maybe moreso than their head coach decision. Actually, definitely moreso.

Looking down the road, we now have someone who can step in should Gase be fired mid-season (as a Jets' fan, you become accustomed to thinking this way). It's now been made clear that the decision was made on Todd Bowles after the embarrassing loss to Buffalo in week 10, and I have to believe the only reason he was allowed to ride out the season was that there wasn't anyone on staff who could step up and be interim HC. Having an obvious lame duck as head coach is detrimental to a team's and players' development.
I like the hiring of Gregg Williams as well - gives the Jets defense the attitude they've been sorely lacking in recent years. Williams will swiftly kick everyones ass for a blown assignment or 4th quarter defensive meltdown - things that became all too regular during Bowles era.

As far as Gase goes -- trust me, I get the negativity -- but I say give him a chance. Lots of guys fail at their first HC job before going somewhere else and succeeding. Hoping for the best with Gase.
Old 01-17-19, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
As far as Gase goes -- trust me, I get the negativity -- but I say give him a chance. Lots of guys fail at their first HC job before going somewhere else and succeeding. Hoping for the best with Gase.
We don't have a choice, do we?

A lot of idiot fans are giving the "that's it, I'm done with this team", but while I don't think Gase was the best option, it's what we're stuck with so let's hope it works out. I'm not jumping ship. If the Jets ever win another Super Bowl (stop laughing. Seriously), I'll be able to say I was there through the good and bad, and was never a fair weather fan or bandwagoner.
Old 01-18-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Scott Linehan fired by the Cowboys
Old 01-18-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Scott Linehan fired by the Cowboys
That'll fix the problem!

Old 01-18-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what I said when someone asked me about Garrett:

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I'm fine with JG, it's Linehan that needs to go. The Cowboys were 3-5 and ended up 10-6 with a very young team. They lost to a better team in the Rams. But even I can predict the playcalling...
And most Cowboys fans feel the same way. Plus, we are well aware of Dak's issues and want to know if a different OC can not only help him but also design an offense around his strengths. And we want to know this BEFORE paying Dak a bazillion dollars.
Old 01-18-19, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That'll fix the problem!
I think it will certainly help.
Old 01-18-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rumor has it that Nussmeir might be the guy. He was the TE coach this year. I know he was with Saban at Alabama but that's about it since I don't follow college ball.
Old 01-19-19, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also hearing the Cowboys might be looking at James Coley, asst. coach from Georgia. He worked with Garrett at the Miami Dolphins under Saban.

They seem intent on keeping Kellan Moore as the QB coach, which I don't understand. As someone who couldn't even beat out Dak, not sure what he can teach him about the position.
Old 01-20-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by collven View Post
They seem intent on keeping Kellan Moore as the QB coach, which I don't understand. As someone who couldn't even beat out Dak, not sure what he can teach him about the position.
Good news! Kitna might become the QB coach.

But, brace yourself...

If that happens, many heads are going to explode.

Edited: Kitna is officially the new QB coach. It’s also been reported that Garrett will call the plays for the Cowboys in 2019.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-20-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Itís also been reported that Garrett will call the plays for the Cowboys in 2019.