Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 08-14-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

I like Jimmy but always felt he was a bit overhyped and he might be a little injury prone. I was not unhappy when the Pats traded him away and was shocked he got the contract he did. I am rooting for him due to his Patriots connection but I have never seen him as a potential elite QB. I hope to be proven wrong.
Old 08-14-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
ha

How does Papa call Niner TDs?

Obviously when he was with the Raiders in honor of Bill King he would say-TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS !!!! It was embarrassing whenever a Raider TD was called back because of penalty(which happened often) or if the replay had shown there was no TD.
I have not heard it yet but maybe it will be something different or less gimmicky
Old 08-14-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I like Jimmy but always felt he was a bit overhyped and he might be a little injury prone. I was not unhappy when the Pats traded him away and was shocked he got the contract he did. I am rooting for him due to his Patriots connection but I have never seen him as a potential elite QB. I hope to be proven wrong.
I don't think Bosa was practicing against him. He did help the Niner win a bunch of games in Dec 2017 they had no business winning or maybe the competition checked out.

He will play in the Broncos game next Mon night.
Old 08-14-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Wentz is the ONLY person that makes Dak making 30+m a year seem reasonable. Every other QB around that salary has at least 1 ring.
Prescott is not worth that much especially if he does not have Ezekiel to help him.

Wentz was having a MVP season in 2017 before he got hurt and he is ten times better than Dak.

Prescott should get more than or equal to Carr but not more than Matt Ryan and Big Ben 2 QBs who are better than him.
Old 08-14-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boomer Esiason is leaving Inside the NFL on Showtime

I hope Ray Lewis or Ed Reed don't replace him since they suck.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/08/wf...-his-jobs.html
Old 08-15-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Prescott is not worth that much especially if he does not have Ezekiel to help him.

Wentz was having a MVP season in 2017 before he got hurt and he is ten times better than Dak.
Well... no. Happy reading!

Dak Prescott deserves a Carson Wentz-type deal (or more)

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cow...e-deal-or-more

Why Dak Prescott will (and should) get paid more than Carson Wentz

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...4130z8m8mcrgyr

Dak vs. Carson: The case for Prescott making more than Wentz's $32 million per year

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/...4-f81f0e7ac949

Old 08-15-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Ray Lewis or Ed Reed don't replace him since they suck.
I've already given up on the show after decades of watching primarily due to the ever increasing use of those two guys. I have zero interest in listening to them so as the show kept increasing their presence I found I was reduced to watching maybe 10 minutes of the entire show so why bother at all and I haven't been back since.
Old 08-16-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should bring back Collinsworth

The Raiders looked like a machine tonight.

If Glennon did not miss that easy throw to Waller in the end zone it would have been 24-0 in the first quarter.

Then again it was the preseason and AZ might be one of the worst teams in the NFL.
Old 08-16-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You already know not to put too much stock into preseason scores.

I had the game on in the background, and one thing that was mentioned by the color commentator is that in pre-season, teams won't even make adjustments. I.E., the Raiders were blitzing and getting to Murray, but the Cards won't even change up, like bringing in an extra back to pick up the blitz. No one wants to show anything during pre-season.
Old 08-16-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Don't tell that to the 16-time World Preseason Champion Minnesota Vikings.
Old 08-16-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

They should bring back Collinsworth

The Raiders looked like a machine tonight.

If Glennon did not miss that easy throw to Waller in the end zone it would have been 24-0 in the first quarter.

Then again it was the preseason and AZ might be one of the worst teams in the NFL.
It is preseason.
Old 08-17-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh Gordon reinstated.
Old 08-17-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait for somebody in fantasy to have precum when they see Josh Gordon is available and he has not done anything spectacular since 2013.

He had that one good game against the Colts on TNF in 2018.
Old 08-18-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/18/cedri...orcycle-crash/

Former Bears and Bengals RB Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle accident last night
Old 08-18-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't wait for somebody in fantasy to have precum when they see Josh Gordon is available and he has not done anything spectacular since 2013.

He had that one good game against the Colts on TNF in 2018.
Eh he is worth a late round flyer based on talent, but anyone who takes him in mid rounds gets what they get.
Old 08-18-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking about Prescott demanding 40 million a year makes me Wentz a little bit. The guy is not that good of a QB. I still shake my head that Carr got 25 per.
Old 08-18-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is Mahomes going to get next year? $45M per?
Old 08-18-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dak never "demanded" 40 mil, that's just someone tweeting nonsense. Plus, does the QB market really need to be explained again? It's based on supply and demand specifically lack of the former. So yeah, you're going to overpay.
Old 08-18-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Dak never "demanded" 40 mil, that's just someone tweeting nonsense. Plus, does the QB market really need to be explained again? It's based on supply and demand specifically lack of the former. So yeah, you're going to overpay.
I don't think anyone here has to sell you on them paying him 40 million a year. Something tells me that you would chip in a few bucks to make it happen. Now, the supply and demand of the QB market still doesn't mean that you pay that much for someone that has yet to push your franchise anywhere close to a title. That's why I think Carr is still a huge overpay.
Old 08-18-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Out of fun, I looked at the list. Highest paid currently is Russell Wilson at $35M/yr, Big Ben is #2 at $34. Aaron Rodgers is third at $33.5M Tom Brady is sitting at 13th at $23M/yr.
It wasn't that long ago that Andrew Luck was #1, now he's #11 at $24.5M. The market is moving up fast.

I'd say $30M for Dak sounds really high but is probably fair given the market. More than that is kinda insane.
I'd guess Mahomes moves to the top of this list next year. Maybe $37.5M/yr?
Old 08-19-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad to see the Raiders have had enough of Brown's nonsense. He's disrupted the entire training camp. I agree with Mayock, he needs to be either all in or all out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ab-all-all-out
Old 08-19-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I don't think anyone here has to sell you on them paying him 40 million a year. Something tells me that you would chip in a few bucks to make it happen. Now, the supply and demand of the QB market still doesn't mean that you pay that much for someone that has yet to push your franchise anywhere close to a title. That's why I think Carr is still a huge overpay.
You'd be wrong since I already said that 30M was too much. But, again, that's what the market is. Carr is overpaid, Wentz is overpaid, and Dak will be overpaid. That's what the supply and demand at QB does. There aren't even enough average QB's for all 32 teams.

And see above, regardless of how you might feel about Dak, it's not that hard to make a strong case that he's worth at least as much as Wentz.
Old 08-19-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'm not trying to hear that. See you at the Super Bowl, Paff!

But really - what are your thoughts so far this training camp/preseason? Darnold has certainly looked the part of a real NFL QB. When you consider the last 4 games last season and this pre-season, we have a reason to be excited. Alas, it's the Jets and the sneaking feeling that it'll all get fucked up will always weigh on me.

It'll take me a while to be totally sold on Gase but I wasn't against the move when it happened and while we've only seen some plain vanilla stuff so far, you can tell that he knows what he's doing on offense unlike Todd Bowles. They seem to be doing a lot of good things on offense so far with mostly backups on the O-Line and no LeVeon Bell. There's talent on this offense, we'll see if Gase brings it out of them.

Defense I'm worried about. I think Gregg Williams will be able to get pressure on the QB despite us not having any great edge rushers. That's what he does. I just hope that he can do it consistently enough to hide the deficiencies in the secondary.

At the end of the day the Jets are young and have little depth, especially on defense but I think they'll show a big improvement this year. I'm not expecting a whole lot but I do think they'll be playing meaningful games in December, which would be nice after years of being done before Thanksgiving.
Old 08-19-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Josh Gordon reinstated.
Over or Under he gets past Week 8?
Old 08-19-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Over or Under he gets past Week 8?
Iíll take the under.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.