Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 03-15-19, 07:04 PM
  #576  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,889
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Tannehill lifetime is 42-46 with ----zero---- playoff wins.
That's actually a pretty good record considering the Fins dysfunctional organization. Can't blame it all on one guy here.
davidlynchfan is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 07:17 PM
  #577  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 10,214
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
He's no Jay Fielder.
They were a playoff team when he was the QB

Jay Fiedler on taking over family business: It was a decicion out of love - NFL Videos
JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 11:22 PM
  #578  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,756
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
He won a playoff game as QB in Miami, hence Ryan Tannehill is no Jay Fiedler.
Decker is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 04:52 AM
  #579  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,556
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
That's actually a pretty good record considering the Fins dysfunctional organization. Can't blame it all on one guy here.
I mentioned before that according to the Detroit sports media that it's never been Mathew Stats-ford 's fault that the Detroit Lions have lost a game(never mind the fact the Lions have won exactly one playoff game in 60 years).

There are QB's in the Pro Football HoF whose lifetime W-L record isn't much better than Tannehill (Joe Namath comes too mind).

The NFL is so obsessed with stats but QBs lifetime W-L record's are never mentioned(possibly because half of them lose every week which is a very negative stat).
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 12:47 PM
  #580  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 19,787
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I think Tate signing is more about him not caring about winning. Sure, get paid but the Giants??
Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
He's already got a ring and this might be his last contract, so I don't blame him. I doubt there were any other offers near that size.
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post

I agree... but what a shit way to go out.
He did spend a good chunk of his career in Detroit ... maybe it isnít that bad.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 01:49 PM
  #581  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,866
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Fitzmagic is the new Dolphins starting QB

DJariya is online now  
Old 03-17-19, 04:00 PM
  #582  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,384
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Dolphins
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:06 PM
  #583  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,756
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

He will be the first QB to throw passes for 8 different NFL teams. A doubious record kind of like hitting the most Home Runs in the Minors.
Decker is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:12 PM
  #584  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,556
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Where does Fitzpatrick rank among worst NFL QB W-L records ever(100 or more decisions)? I can only think of Archie Manning who may have been worse but I think we had this discussion years ago and I can't remember it.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:47 PM
  #585  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,756
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

His career record is 50-75-1. I'm sure there are plenty with worse winning percentages. Being 25 games under 500 is kinda hard to pull off though.
Archie Manning was 35-101-3 though
Decker is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:01 PM
  #586  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,866
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

I know Ryan Tannehill was a disappointment. But are they really better with Fitzmagic? He had only 1 good year, got paid and then the wheels fell off. He had a few good games when Jameis was suspended, but fell off again.
DJariya is online now  
Old 03-17-19, 05:21 PM
  #587  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,604
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Here's the >50 games list from a few years ago:

35-93-6 (27.86%) Archie Manning 1971-84 (Saints)
23-56-0 (29.11%) David Carr 2002-07 (Texans)
16-35-1 (31.73%) Bobby Douglass 1969-1977 (Bears)
17-36-1 (32.41%) Mike Pagel 1982-90 (Colts)
26-52-3 (33.95%) Eddie LeBaron 1952-63 (Redskins)
26-50-0 (34.21%) Joey Harrington 2002-07 (Lions)
23-43-1 (35.07%) Ryan Fitzpatrick 2005-Present (Bills)
24-44-0 (35.29%) Rick Mirer 1993-03 (Seahawks)
51-95-7 (35.62%) Norm Snead 1961-76 (Eagles)
22-40-2 (35.94%) Lamar McHan 1954-63 (Cardinals)
34-58-0 (36.96%) Chris Miller 1987-99 (Falcons)
46-78-0 (37.10%) Jeff George 1990-01 (Colts)
22-37-0 (37.29%) Tim Couch 1999-03 (Browns)
51-83-1 (38.15%) Steve Deberg 1978-98 (Chiefs)
39-61-0 (39.00%) Jeff Blake 1994-03 (Bengals)
50-74-0 (40.32%) Jon Kitna 1997-11 (Bengals)
41-59-0 (41.00%) Daunte Culpepper 1999-09 (Vikings)
21-30-0 (41.18%) Matt Stafford 2009-Present (Lions)
20-29-3 (41.35%) Bob Berry 1966-74 (Falcons)
44-62-0 (41.51%) Jim Zorn 1976-87 (Seahawks)
64-89-0 (41.83%) Jim Everett 1986-97 (Rams)
45-63-3 (41.89%) Lynn Dickey 1971-85 (Packers)
31-43-1 (42.00%) Mike Livingston 1968-79 (Chiefs)
38-52-0 (42.22%) Aaron Brooks 2000-06 (Saints)
90-123-1 (42.29%) Vinny Testaverde 1987-07 (Buccaneers)
24-32-0 (42.86%) Josh Freeman 2009-Present (Buccaneers)
41-54-0 (43.16%) Marc Bulger 2002-09 (Rams)
26-34-0 (43.33%) Dave M. Brown 1994-00 (Giants)
23-30-0 (43.40%) Mark Malone 1980-89 (Steelers)
48-63-4 (43.48%) Tobin Rote 1950-66 (Packers)
31-40-0 (43.66%) Jason Campbell 2006-12 (Redskins)
The Cow is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:21 PM
  #588  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,666
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
His career record is 50-75-1. I'm sure there are plenty with worse winning percentages. Being 25 games under 500 is kinda hard to pull off though.
Archie Manning was 35-101-3 though
Itís kinda like the old adage that you have to be a good pitcher to lose 20 games or they wouldnít keep putting you out there.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 03-17-19, 05:26 PM
  #589  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,408
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I know Ryan Tannehill was a disappointment. But are they really better with Fitzmagic? He had only 1 good year, got paid and then the wheels fell off. He had a few good games when Jameis was suspended, but fell off again.
I don't think the plan is to get better. They just have to have SOMEBODY behind center. They are the worst team in a division with the Patriots. My Patriots have 2-3 more good years in them. If I was the shittiest team in a division with the Pats, I'd be making moves for when Brady retires, not for today.
TGM is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 11:33 AM
  #590  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,164
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post






He did spend a good chunk of his career in Detroit ... maybe it isnít that bad.
Low blow... but I agree. That said, Detroit is head & shoulders better than the G-men right now.
Rob V is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 01:46 PM
  #591  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,330
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Fitzmagic is the new Dolphins starting QB

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...50512574386176
Ugh...another year that it sucks to be a Dolphins fan.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 01:55 PM
  #592  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,088
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I don't think the plan is to get better. They just have to have SOMEBODY behind center. They are the worst team in a division with the Patriots. My Patriots have 2-3 more good years in them. If I was the shittiest team in a division with the Pats, I'd be making moves for when Brady retires, not for today.
I mean if you want to tank, do it right. Sanchize wasn't available?
fujishig is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 02:44 PM
  #593  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,774
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

The Stripes finally cut ties with Vontaze Burfict today. Burfict was entering the final year of his deal so the Bengals take on $1.8M in dead money but save $5.5M on this year's cap.

Not really surprising... with a new coacing regieme under Zac Brown openly stating that they will focus on culture and character, Brown could not have kept Burfict and remained on-point. Injuries, suspensions (ten games in all) and concussions (seven!) ultimately led to his downfall - he hadn't played a full 16-game season since 2013. This past season, the distractions, absences, and frequent lack of focus caused him to be a liability on defense more often than not. Speculation is that he may be done - if not for his hot-headedness then for his durability and the huge number of concussions he's endured. I don't doubt that he will try to get on somewhere, and a team may give him a shot because he -does- have some pretty wicked LB skills. He'd be a huge project, as he's practically uncoachable.... or perhaps that was more Marvin's fault and Burfict might actually thrive in a stricter environment. Don't really know, guess we'll find out shortly.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 02:53 PM
  #594  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Ugh...another year that it sucks to be a Dolphins fan.
That depends on whether or not you are a big Tua T. fan. Because they are obviously tanking for him.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 06:41 AM
  #595  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,164
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
The Stripes finally cut ties with Vontaze Burfict today. Burfict was entering the final year of his deal so the Bengals take on $1.8M in dead money but save $5.5M on this year's cap.

Not really surprising... with a new coacing regieme under Zac Brown openly stating that they will focus on culture and character, Brown could not have kept Burfict and remained on-point. Injuries, suspensions (ten games in all) and concussions (seven!) ultimately led to his downfall - he hadn't played a full 16-game season since 2013. This past season, the distractions, absences, and frequent lack of focus caused him to be a liability on defense more often than not. Speculation is that he may be done - if not for his hot-headedness then for his durability and the huge number of concussions he's endured. I don't doubt that he will try to get on somewhere, and a team may give him a shot because he -does- have some pretty wicked LB skills. He'd be a huge project, as he's practically uncoachable.... or perhaps that was more Marvin's fault and Burfict might actually thrive in a stricter environment. Don't really know, guess we'll find out shortly.
I suspect, like Richie Incognito, this won't be the last time we've heard of this guy. I don't believe he's been in trouble outside of football but with the concussions and patterns of behavior, I have a bad feeling about him. Or, maybe the Pats will sign him and he'll win a Super Bowl.
Rob V is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 10:02 AM
  #596  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,249
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Vontaze Burfict is scheduled to meet with the Raiders.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...id=mailsignout
Bluelitespecial is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 10:10 AM
  #597  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,945
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

The Dolphins will be playing the Eagles this year.

If Fitzpatrick gets to start that game, it'll be the 7th time he's started against the Eagles - all for different teams.
Coral is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 11:10 AM
  #598  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,088
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Bortles is going to sign with the Rams.
fujishig is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 03:35 PM
  #599  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,774
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Vontaze Burfict is scheduled to meet with the Raiders.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...id=mailsignout
Not surprising, I figured the leading candidates would be:
  • Oakland (aka "Island of Misfit Toys")
  • Minnesota (Burfict came in under Zimmer - if there's one HC in the league Burfict might respect enough to toe the line for, it's probably Zim)
  • Pittsburgh (His style is their style. They hated him because he played their type of ball against them.)
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 04:01 PM
  #600  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread


15 years in the NFL for a still mostly unknown French Canadian. Not bad Louis-Philippe, not bad.
eXcentris is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.