Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 03-05-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I don't get the fascination about Murray. He's 5-10. Okay maybe Russell Wilson is also 5-10. But he was taken in the 3rd round and had to prove himself. If you trade up to get a guy at 1 or 3 or 5, he's your starter next season and while thinking on short QBs might have changed a bit, the fact remains, you're still facing 6-6 defensive linemen who are charging at you, blocking your view and throwing their hands up 8 feel in the air to knock down your passes. If nothing else, it's a HUGE disadvantage that you just don't know how a QB is going to respond to. And let's be honest, if there was any conference in the Power 5 that won't give you an indication indication how a QB will respond to elite defenders on the next level, it's the Big XII.
QBs are meant to throw thru zones, into windows, to a spot... most of the time. If they're trying to throw over a 6'5" dude with his arms up, nobody but Manute Bol can play the position. I remember a scout saying that if Wilson was 6'0" he would have been the first pick in the draft... Monday morning QB talk? Maybe... but in this NFL, probably true. If the Cards pass on Murray (and I think they will) it could be a franchise-altering decision. He seems to have every single intangible that a QB needs-- except he's short.
Old 03-05-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
QBs are meant to throw thru zones, into windows, to a spot... most of the time. If they're trying to throw over a 6'5" dude with his arms up, nobody but Manute Bol can play the position. I remember a scout saying that if Wilson was 6'0" he would have been the first pick in the draft... Monday morning QB talk? Maybe... but in this NFL, probably true. If the Cards pass on Murray (and I think they will) it could be a franchise-altering decision. He seems to have every single intangible that a QB needs-- except he's short.
I don't think it's throwing over the huge linemen, it's being able to see the field when you're shorter that's a problem. Even Wilson suffers from that and the scrambling is what saves him.
Old 03-05-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Flutie wasn't too shabby.

When they chose Johnson over Flutie, I actually cheered against the Bills the next season and cheered for San Diego. Flutie, John Butler, Marcellus Wiley... Were there any other former Bills on the Chargers? I honestly don't remember, at this point.

*Edit* Just found the list. The Chargers also picked up Sam Rogers, John Holecek and (local boy!) kicker Steve Christie.

But, how sweet it was to watch Flutie score the winning TD when the Bills met the Chargers.

Looks like Johnson is still bitter after all these years, despite being the one the Bills kept. Still classless, too, as can be seen in the article:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...ug_flutie.html
Old 03-05-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Flutie wasn't too shabby.
He sure was in the NFL.
Old 03-05-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Wilson was in the same draft class as RGIII and Andrew Luck, who had the highest draft rating in history. No way a 6 foot tall Russell Wilson gets picked over either one (but probably would have been picked ahead of Ryan Tannehill and could have gone #1 to the Chiefs the next year had he come out a year later).
Old 03-05-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd take Wilson over Luck in a revisionist draft. Luck hasn't really done much, actually.
Old 03-05-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd take Wilson over Luck in a revisionist draft. Luck hasn't really done much, actually.
Wuuuuut
Old 03-05-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

When they chose Johnson over Flutie, I actually cheered against the Bills the next season and cheered for San Diego. Flutie, John Butler, Marcellus Wiley... Were there any other former Bills on the Chargers? I honestly don't remember, at this point.

*Edit* Just found the list. The Chargers also picked up Sam Rogers, John Holecek and (local boy!) kicker Steve Christie.

But, how sweet it was to watch Flutie score the winning TD when the Bills met the Chargers.

Looks like Johnson is still bitter after all these years, despite being the one the Bills kept. Still classless, too, as can be seen in the article:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...ug_flutie.html
Maybe if they started Flutie against the Titans there would be no Music City Miracle?

Old 03-05-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You must work for the Jets or the Browns.
Old 03-05-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
The Raiders are staying in Oakland through next season and possibly the 2020 season if their new stadium isn't finished on time. That was just reported on the Sunday Night Football's facebook page.

That is some bullshit ... Robert Kraft visits one person being prostituted against her will ... the Raiders continue to hold and screw entire city against their will ...
Old 03-05-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe if they started Flutie against the Titans there would be no Music City Miracle?
That has always been my view. Or at least if they still lost, it wouldn't have been as hard to take.
Old 03-05-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
You must work for the Jets or the Browns.
Well I'm talking about actual accomplishments and not freaky athletic abilities.
Old 03-05-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of Luck's playoff loses ended with blowouts of a minimum of 15 points or more.
Old 03-06-19, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
That has always been my view. Or at least if they still lost, it wouldn't have been as hard to take.
I rooted for them in all of their Super Bowls and nothing beats a snowy cold weather game in Buffalo
Old 03-06-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk God

All of Luck's playoff loses ended with blowouts of a minimum of 15 points or more.
I didn't realize Luck also played all 11 positions on defense in addition to QB.
Old 03-06-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In 2017 he didn't even play. Apples to apples, Wilson has bee the more accomplished QB so far. Perhaps Luck's "intangibles" are better on paper but Wilson is a great QB, a leader and has won a Super Bowl (and not the Flacco kind either). Luck has had a great season so far.
Old 03-06-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

e
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I didn't realize Luck also played all 11 positions on defense in addition to QB.

I've watched Mathew Stafford since day one in the NFL and according to the Detroit media he has yet too lose a game.
Old 03-06-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There might not be any NFC and NFC designations for FOX and CBS on Sunday afternoons anymore

The next round of NFL rights negotiations could include a major change to the Sunday afternoon packages.Variety reported Tuesday that the NFL and its television partners have discussed eliminating the conference affiliation for the league’s Sunday afternoon packages. Instead of CBS holding rights to the AFC and FOX the NFC, rightsholders would be able to air games from either conference.

The idea is just one possibility that has been broached during “extremely preliminary” talks between the league and its partners.The NFL’s current television deals with FOX and CBS allow for ‘cross-flexing,’ in which the networks are allowed to occasionally air games from the conference they do not have rights to.

Last season, for example, CBS aired a Dallas-Washington game for the first time since it last held NFC rights in the early 1990s.

The NFL’s deals with FOX, CBS and NBC expire after the 2022 season, and its deal with ESPN expires after 2021. With the next negotiations imminent, there have been early whispers about what the next deals could look like. Multiple reports have indicated that ESPN will include ABC in some capacity.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ox-cbs-sunday/
Old 03-06-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its seem like more and more in recent years there has been AFC games on Fox and NFC games on CBS. That change wouldn't make a difference to me. Also I have followed the news that the Chiefs have an interest in Giants safety Landon Collins and negotiations have started for Tyreek Hill to get a new contract.
Old 03-06-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Then I guess Russell Wilson does. You'd think Luck can at least will his team within a touchdown in one of those losses for being all-world QB..nope.
Old 03-06-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then I guess Russell Wilson does. You'd think Luck can at least will his team within a touchdown in one of those losses for being all-world QB..nope.
Plus Luck plays in probably the second easiest division in the NFL next to the AFC East.

Sure Houston may have finished first a few times but have been dud's in the playoffs.

Anyone know what Luck's W-L record vs teams with winning records all-time?
Old 03-06-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think your crazy if you choose Wilson over Luck in a redraft. I mean if you want to take Super Bowls into account, there's a Super Bowl MVP quarterback further down as well. But the only thing I know for sure is that the Browns would still take Trent Richardson.
Old 03-06-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say they're both pretty even in terms of NFL talent and not taking SB wins into account. Wilson can defintely play and is not some system QB either.
Old 03-06-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I rooted for them in all of their Super Bowls and nothing beats a snowy cold weather game in Buffalo
The regular season and the playoff games were such a joy to watch, in those years. Too bad the final outcome was always so painful.
Old 03-06-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They kicked the Raiders asses in the 1990 AFC Championship game

They are the team that should be #1 when it comes to teams that deserve a championship.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.