Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 03-01-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

The Romo/Witten role reversal is interesting to me. On the field, Witten was the perfect one and Romo the flawed one. In the booth, it is/was the opposite. There's good stuff in here about Witten leaving the booth:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2...night-football
Old 03-01-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope not. Keep him on Sunday, please.
Old 03-01-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Witten get to keep the hair when he moved to the booth, or does he have to return it?
Old 03-01-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Romo should stay on CBS, he'll get to call better games that way.
Old 03-01-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I hope not. Keep him on Sunday, please.
Same here. Gets to call better games, more playoff games, and Super Bowls.
Old 03-04-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Words around is the Cards are considering trading Rosen and taking Murray as their number one selection.

Nick Bosa, welcome to the Niners.
Old 03-04-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That would be a huge mistake, IMO. I get that if you hire a new coach he should have some say on the personnel, but that is a HUGE opportunity cost loss for the Cards if they do it. And who's to say if Murray is even a better prospect than Rosen? It's not like you're looking at a can't miss Andrew Luck guy at the top of this draft board.
Old 03-04-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ That would be a huge mistake, IMO. I get that if you hire a new coach he should have some say on the personnel, but that is a HUGE opportunity cost loss for the Cards if they do it. And who's to say if Murray is even a better prospect than Rosen? It's not like you're looking at a can't miss Andrew Luck guy at the top of this draft board.
The guy is going to live or die with his QB, so if he feels Murray is a better fit, then (in the short term, which is all coaches really are these days) he should do it. Either way, if you make the wrong choice and whatever QB you pick doesn't pan out, you're on the street in a few years.
Old 03-04-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, If Murray becomes the next Russell Wilson and Rosen the next Brady Quinn then it would be a genius move.
Old 03-04-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Words around is the Cards are considering trading Rosen and taking Murray as their number one selection.

Nick Bosa, welcome to the Niners.
As someone who has access to someone who is getting information directly from the GM, the Cardinals do not want Murray. Now, that certainly could change over the course of the next 2 months, but from what I'm hearing is, the Cards are desperate to trade down with all the holes they have. If they have to stick at the #1 spot, they are taking Bosa.
Old 03-04-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
As someone who has access to someone who is getting information directly from the GM, the Cardinals do not want Murray. Now, that certainly could change over the course of the next 2 months, but from what I'm hearing is, the Cards are desperate to trade down with all the holes they have. If they have to stick at the #1 spot, they are taking Bosa.
I tend to agree. I think the Cards are trying to hype up the pick to get someone who falls in love with Kyler to move up for it. The Raiders would be ideal as they have multiple firsts in THIS draft. But anyone in the top 10 is probably fine with the Cards.

If they trade Rosen and take Murray, they will have fired a coach after a season, hired a losing coach in his place, and then traded up to take a guy at 10 they will trade for a 3/4. That's not how you run a franchise people.
Old 03-04-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I get what you are saying, however in my opinion Rosen's draft position should not enter into the equation. It's done and over with. To me the only question is, does Rosen fit what the current regime wants to do. If not (and Murray does), then I think they should make it happen. I'm a Packers fan though, so QB instability isn't something I have a lot of experience with...
Old 03-04-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rich Eisen ran the 40 in 6 seconds at the combine for his yearly Run Rich Run charity drive.
Old 03-04-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I tend to agree. I think the Cards are trying to hype up the pick to get someone who falls in love with Kyler to move up for it. The Raiders would be ideal as they have multiple firsts in THIS draft. But anyone in the top 10 is probably fine with the Cards.

If they trade Rosen and take Murray, they will have fired a coach after a season, hired a losing coach in his place, and then traded up to take a guy at 10 they will trade for a 3/4. That's not how you run a franchise people.
That... sounds like the Cards, though.

But yeah, if the Raiders are that desperate to replace Carr, fleece 'em.
Old 03-04-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
QBs' values get over-inflated the closer we get to April, hence teams trading up for Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Mitch Trubisky the last couple of years. The fact that they've all done extremely well only makes it more of an issue.

So my prediction is a team will trade into the top 5 (or maybe even a trade within the top 5), and at least one QB will be selected in the top 3.
This is what I said about it back on New Year's Eve. Looks like my prediction has a chance to be correct.
Old 03-04-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get the fascination about Murray. He's 5-10. Okay maybe Russell Wilson is also 5-10. But he was taken in the 3rd round and had to prove himself. If you trade up to get a guy at 1 or 3 or 5, he's your starter next season and while thinking on short QBs might have changed a bit, the fact remains, you're still facing 6-6 defensive linemen who are charging at you, blocking your view and throwing their hands up 8 feel in the air to knock down your passes. If nothing else, it's a HUGE disadvantage that you just don't know how a QB is going to respond to. And let's be honest, if there was any conference in the Power 5 that won't give you an indication indication how a QB will respond to elite defenders on the next level, it's the Big XII.
Old 03-04-19, 03:46 PM

Cards, please take Murray. We want Bosa!! Also, why do people like Josh Allen so much? I don't think he's that great.
Old 03-04-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Chiefs are releasing Justin Houston. He didn't want to restructure his contract so he could stay on a potential Super Bowl contending team next year.
Old 03-04-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bummer, I have loved Houston. He's getting old now, though.
Old 03-04-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And let's be honest, if there was any conference in the Power 5 that won't give you an indication indication how a QB will respond to elite defenders on the next level, it's the Big XII.
Mahomes and Mayfield are pretty hunky looking QBs at this point. I'd say it's the advance offense in the Big XII that makes the defense look bad.
Old 03-04-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 49ers better not trade down since that never works!

If they stay at the #2 spot they will get a blue chip player in the first round for the first time this century.
Old 03-04-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The 49ers better not trade down since that never works!

If they stay at the #2 spot they will get a blue chip player in the first round for the first time this century.
Moving back from #3 to #6 worked like a charm for the Colts last year. They got a first-team all-NFL player to anchor their O-line for the next decade at #6, and the Defensive Rookie of the Year in the second round - Plus the #34 pick this year.

If a QB goes at 1 they should stay there and grab Bosa. If he's not there, it might be worth moving back especially if someone (Raiders, Giants) is dying to move up to 2 to grab a QB.
Old 03-04-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Mahomes and Mayfield are pretty hunky looking QBs at this point. I'd say it's the advance offense in the Big XII that makes the defense look bad.
That's a really good point. Still both those guys are at least 6' tall. Once you drop under that, you're in a range where you can count the number of successful QBs on one hand -- maybe on one finger and name it Russell.
Old 03-04-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving back from #3 to #6 worked like a charm for the Colts last year. They got a first-team all-NFL player to anchor their O-line for the next decade at #6, and the Defensive Rookie of the Year in the second round - Plus the #34 pick this year.

If a QB goes at 1 they should stay there and grab Bosa. If he's not there, it might be worth moving back especially if someone (Raiders, Giants) is dying to move up to 2 to grab a QB.
Yes but that was the Colts who know what they are doing and have multiple playoff appearances and a Super Bowl this century.

I don't trust Lynch after he ruined the 2017 draft with Thomas and Foster and set back the franchise for another 10 years.
Old 03-05-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a really good point. Still both those guys are at least 6' tall. Once you drop under that, you're in a range where you can count the number of successful QBs on one hand -- maybe on one finger and name it Russell.
Flutie wasn't too shabby.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.