Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 17

Old 12-31-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2018 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 17

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
So the Colts' playoffs started tonight. They will have to run this table to get to Atlanta:

at Tennessee (Won)
at Houston
at Kansas City
at New England (or Chargers/Ravens winner)

Winning 9 of 10 is impressive, but winning these next three? I have my doubts.
I can see then winning all of those games but they will lose in New England since they can never beat the Patriots.
Old 01-01-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two interesting factoids I read on FiveThirtyEight :
1) As a result of a fourth quarter injury in the Eagles game at Washington, Nick Foles had to leave early and ended up four snaps short of a $1M bonus he would have received for taking 33% of the Eagles offensive snaps. Ouch!

2) The Steelers were 6th in Yards per play and 6th in Yards Allowed per play and still missed the playoffs. That is nearly impossible to achieve.
Old 01-01-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Two interesting factoids I read on FiveThirtyEight :
1) As a result of a fourth quarter injury in the Eagles game at Washington, Nick Foles had to leave early and ended up four snaps short of a $1M bonus he would have received for taking 33% of the Eagles offensive snaps. Ouch!
I am wondering if the Eagles will do what the Yankees did for CC Sabathia. He had an IP incentive clause, but got ejected 2 IP short (IIRC). It was for $500k and they paid him anyway: https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/yank...ive/301948542/
Old 01-01-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
2) The Steelers were 6th in Yards per play and 6th in Yards Allowed per play and still missed the playoffs. That is nearly impossible to achieve.
Might have something to do with all the divisiveness in the locker room.

Linky: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lark/38827157/

Antonio Brown 'can't coexist' with the Steelers
ESPN, Published 11:11 a.m. ET Jan. 1, 2019

Antonio Brown missed Pittsburgh's must-win Week 17 game against the Bengals after the team reported that he had a knee issue earlier in the week, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published an explosive report on Monday that revealed the real reason Brown wasn't on the field.

According to several reports, Brown was involved in an altercation with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger during a morning walkthrough on Wednesday, and then skipped team practices and meetings leading up to the game.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Brown ignored messages from Steelers teammates, staffers, and even owner Art Rooney II after the incident, but showed up expecting to play on Sunday. Brown watched the first half in street clothes, and left the stadium at halftime.

Former Steelers safety Ryan Clark argued on SportsCenter that while Brown may be one of the best players in the NFL, the team cannot afford to keep Brown on the roster for team chemistry reasons.
According to Steelers Depot, Brown today has requested a trade.

This on the heels of the backfired LeVeon Bell holdout, and Roethlisberger calling out teammates in the media. Tomlin has been silent, which is not his nature - right or wrong, he typically gets in front of these things. As a Bengal fan I'm clearly biased here, but even acknowledging that it's hard to see all of this and not conclude that the Steeler locker room is in complete chaos right now.
Old 01-01-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is NFL.com's list of the top 10 games of 2018.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30...fs-litter-list

Four Chiefs games made the list. The Chiefs vs. Rams game is the obvious choice for number #1. The last game against the Chargers was a heartbreaking loss.
Old 01-02-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody think the Vikings were going to repeat 2017 with Case Keenum? He was a one-year wonder. Kirk, statistically, was very good... I get that he doesn't ever win the big game but the Vikings D was sub-par and they freaking changed coordinators with 4 weeks to go in the season. That's on the head coach.

Also, if you didn't know, I'm a pathetic Lions fan... if anybody can spot a stat-padding QB who can't win the big game, it's me... but I'd take Cousins or Stafford over Keenum ever day of the week (and John Elway is about to mortgage his team's future to take Haskins in the upcoming draft).
Old 01-02-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Does anybody think the Vikings were going to repeat 2017 with Case Keenum? He was a one-year wonder. Kirk, statistically, was very good... I get that he doesn't ever win the big game but the Vikings D was sub-par and they freaking changed coordinators with 4 weeks to go in the season. That's on the head coach.

Also, if you didn't know, I'm a pathetic Lions fan... if anybody can spot a stat-padding QB who can't win the big game, it's me... but I'd take Cousins or Stafford over Keenum ever day of the week (and John Elway is about to mortgage his team's future to take Haskins in the upcoming draft).
Stafford couldn't even stat-pad correctly this year...
Old 01-02-19, 09:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I don’t think Keenum is upper tier, but think his mobility made him the better choice for the Vikings given their line. Cousins will never be upper tier, no matter the talent around him.
Old 01-02-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Stafford couldn't even stat-pad correctly this year...
He came thru when we needed him least... a 31-0 pounding of the Packers to move us from 5th in the draft to 8th. That's how a leader does it!
Old 01-02-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I donít think Keenum is upper tier, but think his mobility made him the better choice for the Vikings given their line. Cousins will never be upper tier, no matter the talent around him.
So given Denver is probably going to cut him, do the Vikings make a bold move and resign him - hypothetically - to a very meager salary and start him over Kirk? Do you try to rectify your mistakes or do you cross your fingers and hope Kirk works out?
We both know they'll go with Kirk because of the contract but neither is getting you to the the Super Bowl with that defense.
Old 01-02-19, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
So given Denver is probably going to cut him, do the Vikings make a bold move and resign him - hypothetically - to a very meager salary and start him over Kirk? Do you try to rectify your mistakes or do you cross your fingers and hope Kirk works out?
We both know they'll go with Kirk because of the contract but neither is getting you to the the Super Bowl with that defense.
Once they signed Cousins, they committed to mediocrity for at least those three seasons. Keeping Keenum and spending that money on the OL would have given them another playoff run.
Old 01-02-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely believe the Vikings would have had a better season had they kept Keenum. Never underestimate team chemistry and familiarity.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-02-19 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how everyone is coming around to my thinking on how shitastic Cousins is.
Old 01-02-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the Broncos already thinking of bailing on Case Keenum?
Old 01-02-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that didn't take long... AB just signed with the Bengals

Linky: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals...ve-future-list
Spoiler:
Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 02:45 PM
Geoff Hobson - Bengals.com

Bengals Sign Andrew Brown To Reserve/Future List

The Bengals today signed DT Andrew Brown to a Reserve/Future contract.

Brown, a 2018 Bengals fifth-round draft pick, spent the team’s first 10 games on the Practice Squad before suffering a hand injury in practice and spending the final six games on the Practice Squad/Injured list. He will not count on the team’s active list until Feb. 4, the Monday after the Super Bowl.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-02-19 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I love how everyone is coming around to my thinking on how shitastic Cousins is.
Pretty sure thatís always been the majority opinion here, and in all circles outside casual fans.
Old 01-02-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Are the Broncos already thinking of bailing on Case Keenum?
Elway is always looking to move on quick from projects. He wanted to fire Joseph after the first year. Wouldn't surprise me if they did move on from Keenum.
Old 01-02-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Keenum actually has a 2-year deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-b...-keenum-10079/

They would take a huge cap hit for releasing him. He's scheduled to make $18M next season.
Old 01-02-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I definitely believe the Vikings would have had a better season has they kept Keenum. Never underestimate team chemistry and familiarity.
No he had one lucky season and he has sucked every other year
Old 01-03-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree. I don't think Keenum would have made any positive difference for the Vikes. Their OL was absolutely horrible this year.
Old 01-03-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The point included that the money spent on Cousins would have been invested in the OL.
Old 01-03-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The point included that the money spent on Cousins would have been invested in the OL.
They'd still have had to re-sign Keenum, though, so it's not like his entire contract would go to the O-line. But still, like 9 million bucks would bolster their spending from like 22nd to like 10th around the Falcons/Titans lines.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Things I didn't realize before I searched for this:

Keenum and Cousins are the same age.
0 of the top 10 salary cap spenders made the playoffs.
I don't know what the Jets are spending their money on. They seem to be spending the fifth most on their OL, which by many statistics is the worst in the league. Injuries?
Old 01-03-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though Cousins is taking most of the blame for the Vikings not making the playoffs it was the kicker who failed against GB in the OT game and if the Vikings had won that game they would be in the playoffs since they had the tiebreaker vs.the Eagles.
Old 01-03-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Even though Cousins is taking most of the blame for the Vikings not making the playoffs it was the kicker who failed against GB in the OT game and if the Vikings had won that game they would be in the playoffs since they had the tiebreaker vs.the Eagles.
Cousins was money in that game, just like he always is vs. lesser competition.

His record vs. good teams is abysmal.

But keep in mind MIN was down 20-7 in that game at one point.

Regardless, you can't point to a September loss as the reason why they didn't make the playoffs. What about the other 7 games they lost? They lost to JAX and BUF too. Why aren't those the games that kept them out of the playoffs?
Old 01-03-19, 12:57 PM

I definitely believe the Vikings would have had a better season had they kept Keenum. Never underestimate team chemistry and familiarity.
I was always on the fence with the decision to trade Keenum in favor of Cousins and was never fully comfortable with the move. Chemistry and familiarity can go a long way and shouldn't be underestimated. Keenum, Diggs and Theilen clearly had this last year. There were a number of times where Cousins and these two clearly mixed up on routes this year and the frustration showed.

I believe Keenum's mobility outside the pocket was also an asset that eroded with Cousins.

Lastly, IIRC, the Vikings would have saved 6-8M/yr by keeping Keenum. Could that have made a difference to bolster the OL.

Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure.

I don't see the Vikings ditching Cousins at this point.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.