Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for to be inducted into the HOF in 2019?
Lance Berkman
2.50%
Barry Bonds
65.00%
Roger Clemens
60.00%
Roy Halladay
52.50%
Todd Helton
7.50%
Andruw Jones
10.00%
Jeff Kent
15.00%
Edgar Martinez
60.00%
Fred McGriff
30.00%
Mike Mussina
42.50%
Roy Oswalt
0%
Andy Pettitte
7.50%
Juan Pierre
2.50%
Manny Ramirez
25.00%
Mariano Rivera
87.50%
Scott Rolen
5.00%
Curt Schilling
35.00%
Gary Sheffield
5.00%
Sammy Sosa
20.00%
Miguel Tejada
2.50%
Omar Vizquel
10.00%
Billy Wagner
10.00%
Larry Walker
15.00%
Michael Young
0%
Other (Include in your post)
2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

The 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Old 12-27-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Took a look at the tracker today with a little over 1/4 of the vote in and Martinez has now picked up 10 votes and only need twenty more last year so he should be a lock. Mussina is looking better as well picking up 11 votes thus far but he need 49 more last year so it will be close with him. So at the very least Rivera, Halladay and Martinez get elected this year with Mussina having a decent shot. Schilling/Bonds/Clemens are looking okay but they always have the largest pre-result to actual drop off. Walker picking up steam as well for a year 10 election next year.
Old 12-27-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Net gained/lost votes through 113 ballots (~27.4% of the vote):

Walker +20
McGriff +18
Mussina +11
Vizquel +11
Edgar +10
Rolen +8
Schilling +7
Wagner +6
Kent +3
Sheffield +3
Andruw +1
BB/RC +1
-----
Manny -1
Sosa -1
Old 12-28-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About 30% of the ballot revealed so far. Edgar has 11 of the 20 votes he needed to pick up to get in, so things are looking good for him. Mariano still unanimous. Halladay looks like a lock as well.

Mussina looks to be right on the edge, last year the publicly revealed vote was 6.5% better for him than the actual, and he is at 82.1%. If that same gap is true this year, he'll be right around 75%.

Bonds and Clemens look like they're doing better in this voting, both sitting at around 74%, but they've each only gained 1 vote from last year's voters. I suspect the "early reporters" swing their direction, and as more votes come in their totals will drop to the 55-60% where they were last year.

Larry Walker has picked up 23 votes so far, more than anyone, and looks like he will land somewhere in 60s. He might be next year's Edgar in his final year.
Old 12-29-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mariano is going to only miss being unanimous by one or two votes, if that. The one voter that had sent in a blank ballot the past decade did not send a vote in this year. I suspect he didn't want to be known as the guy that blocked Mariano's chance at history.
Old 12-31-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens

Can anyone give me a reasonable argument why these guys should not have the EXACT same vote totals? Each year they've been close, but not exactly the same, and I can't understand what principled argument there is to vote for one and not the other.
Old 01-16-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

182 ballots reported (44%), and very little has changed. Mo still unanimous (we all know that it will be a private ballot that screws him). Edgar and Doc still looking good, Moose on the bubble, Walker setting up for a year 10 charge.
Old 01-16-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
182 ballots reported (44%), and very little has changed. Mo still unanimous (we all know that it will be a private ballot that screws him).
The weird thing is : I bet secretly some of the voters don't want Mo to be the first unanimous inductee. He certainly deserves to be in first ballot and anyone who doesn't vote for him is an idiot. That said, if Ruth and Mantle and Ted Williams and Hank Aaron and Mays and Kofax and Cal Ripkin and Greg Maddox weren't unanimous inductees (all beyond comprehension, IMO), Mo would be a weird place to start (and would indicate more about public humiliation of HoF voters in the Twitter era than Mo's undisputed greatness or his place in the pantheon of all-time greats).
Old 01-16-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The weird thing is : I bet secretly some of the voters don't want Mo to be the first unanimous inductee. He certainly deserves to be in first ballot and anyone who doesn't vote for him is an idiot. That said, if Ruth and Mantle and Ted Williams and Hank Aaron and Mays and Kofax and Cal Ripkin and Greg Maddox weren't unanimous inductees (all beyond comprehension, IMO), Mo would be a weird place to start (and would indicate more about public humiliation of HoF voters in the Twitter era than Mo's undisputed greatness or his place in the pantheon of all-time greats).
I hear that, he certainly shouldn't be the first unanimous choice. But I for one am blown away by his undisputed greatness. There is nobody even remotely close to him at his position (assuming we treat relief pitcher as a position). And his post season record -- which is 141 innings or 2/3 of a full season for a starter -- is outrageous. He deserves to be unanimous. And I hope he is. But others should have been before him.
Old 01-16-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted Maddox to be first. How could anyone not think that he was a first-ballot Hall of Fame pitcher? He did absolutely everything you could ever ask of a starting pitcher (okay no No-Hitter, but still that's just bad luck as great as he was). Plus I met him a couple of times in his late playing days- He's tiny - no way he was using steroids for an advantage.

I'd be okay with Jeter as the first unanimous choice as well. Not close to the greatest shortstop ever, but he's up there and it's hard to think of a better leader in any team sport.
Old 01-17-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be really happy as a Blue Jays fan if Halladay is elected to the Hall.
Old 01-17-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus I met him a couple of times in his late playing days- He's tiny - no way he was using steroids for an advantage.
Not that I suspect him of steroid use, but his size has nothing to do with it. Guys don't automatically bulk up from use, it depends on how you use it. A marathoner could be taking steroids to help with recovery on long training runs, it wouldn't make them bulk up.
Old 01-17-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's hard to think of a better leader in any team sport.
The same Derek Jeter who made sure he was hitting 3rd in the order his farewell season despite the fact by then he was a below average player by then?
The same Derek Jeter who forced A-Rod to 3rd base when the Yankees signed him, despite A-Rod at his peak being an inarguably better Defensive Shortstop
Old 01-17-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The same Derek Jeter who made sure he was hitting 3rd in the order his farewell season despite the fact by then he was a below average player by then?
That was not great, agreed. Kinda felt like Kobe at the end. Hard to know when it's time for a Superstar to go quietly into that goodnight.
The same Derek Jeter who forced A-Rod to 3rd base when the Yankees signed him, despite A-Rod at his peak being an inarguably better Defensive Shortstop
Who said Jeter forced A-Rod to 3rd? It was Jeter's team, the Yanks brought A-Rod aboard and there was never a question that A-Rod was moving to 3rd. Don't know if that was A-Rod's offer (which was always the official story) or at the Yankee's request, but to blame that on Jeter being a poor teammate is absurd.
Old 01-17-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want him being the first unanimous inductee. As much as I respect his career and accomplishments, all relievers are nothing more than failed starters. Should the greatest pinch-hitter of all time become a first-ballot Hall of Famer?

I can't comprehend Ripken missing out being unanimous. I don't remember that vote but if any player deserved being unanimous, it was his right.
Old 01-18-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are still plenty of anonymous voters so don't worry there will be voters that refuse to vote for him.
Old 01-18-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I don't want him being the first unanimous inductee. As much as I respect his career and accomplishments, all relievers are nothing more than failed starters. Should the greatest pinch-hitter of all time become a first-ballot Hall of Famer?

I can't comprehend Ripken missing out being unanimous. I don't remember that vote but if any player deserved being unanimous, it was his right.
I don't want Mo to be the first to be unanimous, but that's because many before should have been unanimous too. He absolutely deserves it. If you think he just represents a "failed starter" you haven't paid attention to his career or his stats. He pitched over 1200 innings, that's 6 full seasons for a top starter. He pitched 141 innings in the postseason, that's the equivalent of 2/3 of a season for a top starter. Read that again: as a postseason closer, he pitched the equivalent of 2/3 of a season for a top starter. And his dominance over those 1200 innings, and especially over those 141 innings, is just silly.

His stats are sufficient that were they the stats of an actual starter, even representing just 6 full seasons, that starter would get elected to the HoF. He deserves to be unanimous. The fact that he doesn't deserve to be the FIRST, simply because others should have done it before, is the wrong way to look at it IMO.

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
There are still plenty of anonymous voters so don't worry there will be voters that refuse to vote for him.
Sadly, this is true. Until voting isn't anonymous, this will always be the case. Because a few people will say "he shouldn't be unanimous because XYZ wasn't unanimous", and we'll never get past this stupid barrier.
Old 01-19-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens

Can anyone give me a reasonable argument why these guys should not have the EXACT same vote totals? Each year they've been close, but not exactly the same, and I can't understand what principled argument there is to vote for one and not the other.
They should be the same.

I can see the argument that Bonds was the greatest player of all time and Clemens wasnít, but both are so obviously above the HOF threshold that that shouldnít matter. I guess itís possible someone might think oneís denials are more believable than the otherís.
Old 01-21-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not saying it is a good argument but Roger Clemens was acquitted that he lied to Congress so maybe a reason to vote Clemens over Bonds.
Old 01-22-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're over the 50% mark, Mo still unanimous. Edgar has picked up the votes missing from his last election (he was 20 short and has picked up 25), and seems to have cemented his lock status. Doc is also a lock. Clemens and Bonds are under 75% now. Mussina still too close to call, my gut says he falls a few votes short but I hope not.

If Mussina does fall short, we'd have him, Schilling, and Walker as the guys knocking on the door for next year.
Old 01-22-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I swear I never thought of Musina as a Hall of Fame pitcher. Long career but never one of the very best in the game.

Someone please explain to me why he should get in over Schilling.
Old 01-22-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I swear I never thought of Musina as a Hall of Fame pitcher. Long career but never one of the very best in the game.

Mussina: 8 top 6 CYA finishes
Schilling: 4 top 6 CYA finishes

Slightly higher WAR. 300 more IP. 54 more wins. 7 gold gloves. 11 seasons of top 10 ERA (compared to 9). Pitched his entire career in the AL East.

Disagree that he was never one of the very best. I think he was one of the best for a very long time, but he was never THE best.

They are very close, and I think Mussina getting in will help Schilling get in.
Old 01-22-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cynical question: Would Halladay be getting in, and in reality, sailing in, if he was still alive today?
Old 01-22-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In regards to why people would vote Bonds and not Clemens:

I think it boils down to people trying to pinpoint exactly when Bonds started juicing. Many believe that he started after the 1998 Home Run Record chase and those people believe that Bonds was already on a hall of fame track before that. You can't really say the same with Clemens since there was no definitive "start date" to his PED use. I don't agree with this logic but I have heard it used before.

There is no baseball reason. Mussina had the longevity and Schilling had a few top tier seasons along with a stellar postseason record. Schilling would have gotten already if he wasn't widely considered to be a contentious dipshit.

Also, I agree with LD, Mussina was definitely one of the best in the game for a very long time.
Old 01-22-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Cynical question: Would Halladay be getting in, and in reality, sailing in, if he was still alive today?
no, he wouldn't.

ETA: wouldn't get in 1st ballot, I do believe he would have made it eventually.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 01-22-19 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
No. Halladay was eventually going to get in before the tragic accident happened but his career totals are suspect for a Hall of Famer. He retired fairly young due to injury. His early death will net him a first-ballot induction.

Mussina would have been a first-ballot choice if he had simply hung around two more years and gotten 300 victories. Schilling would have been elected years ago if he wasn't an outspoken, unapologetic Republican which had floated the idea of running for office. Most BBWAA members are liberals that worked for local newspapers. The flimsy excuse he threatened journalists over Twitter is a dishonest cover for holding Curt's politics over his candidacy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.