Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the NBA Championship in 2019?
Golden State Warriors
52.17%
Boston Celtics
17.39%
Houston Rockets
8.70%
Philadelphia Sixers
0%
Toronto Raptors
4.35%
Los Angeles Lakers
8.70%
Oklahoma City Thunder
0%
Utah Jazz
0%
Milwaukee Bucks
4.35%
San Antonio Spurs
0%
New Orleans Pelicans
0%
Other
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 03-08-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Maybe Laker fans here can start cheering for the Clippers. - I mean just for this season.
Never, ever, ever, ever. Not ever if they were playing the Celtics. NEVER!
Old 03-08-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Laker fans here can start cheering for the Clippers. - I mean just for this season.
For any Southern Californian's here, we all know that the Lakers and Dodgers are two of the most historic franchises in all of sports. How does a person who grows up in that area end up choosing the Clippers or Angels over those teams? Is someone who just enjoys being different? Is there a certain part of Southern Cal that those teams draw too? I know if I grew up in LA, I would gravitate to the Dodgers and Lakers just because of their history. It's a bit different in NY (I went to school with many kids from NY/North Jersey) and you either rooted for the Jets/Mets or the Giants/Yankees as most of them fell along those lines, and some burroughs of NY sort of went for those specific teams.

Last edited by mcnabb; 03-08-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe fujishig is just one of those guys who has to be different or never liked seeing the constant dominance the Lakers had in the 80's and early 2000's.

I mean I guess Kenny Norman, Charles Smith, Gary Grant, Benoit Benjamin, Stanley Roberts and Reggie Williams meant more to him than Magic, Worthy, Kareem and company?

The Clippers have always been the running joke of So. Cal. and just don't have the illustrious history in the league like the Lakers. And before Balmer took over their owner was a joke and later turned out to be a scumbag racist. While the Lakers had Dr. Jerry Buss, one of the most respected owners and businessmen in the NBA.

or maybe Fujishig is a long-time fan going back to the Buffalo Braves era and has stuck with them through thick and thin through San Diego and now LA.
Old 03-09-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Brandon Ingram is out for the season with Deep Vein Thrombosis in his arm. For those with no clue what that is...it's a potentially deadly blood clot. BI's going to have to be on blood thinners for 1 year or maybe longer.
Old 03-09-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh shit. Wonder if he will even be able to keep playing . Being on blood thinners is dangerous if you play contact sports
​​​​
Old 03-09-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not worried about the Lakers or what happens next. BI's health and well being is the most important thing right now. Let's hope he can beat this and lead a healthy, productive life.
Old 03-09-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DVT is what killed Jerome Kersey a few years ago. He unknowingly had a blood clot in his calf after knee surgery and the clot traveled to his lung causing a pulmonary embolism that killed him.

I was diagnosed with DVT 2 years ago in my leg. I'm going on 1 1/2 years on blood thinners.
Old 03-09-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sucks about BI. Meanwhile the LLLLLakers lose again.
Old 03-10-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
For any Southern Californian's here, we all know that the Lakers and Dodgers are two of the most historic franchises in all of sports. How does a person who grows up in that area end up choosing the Clippers or Angels over those teams? Is someone who just enjoys being different? Is there a certain part of Southern Cal that those teams draw too?
C) They like to root for underdogs. You're a Philly man - you should already know about the Rocky Balboa storyline.
Old 03-10-19, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Never, ever, ever, ever. Not ever if they were playing the Celtics. NEVER!
is it because of the CP3 vetoed blocked trade that you guys have not quite recovered from?
Old 03-10-19, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

is it because of the CP3 vetoed blocked trade that you guys have not quite recovered from?
Not even. The Clippers entire branding is as the Anti-Lakers. They will always be the second class team in LA and they have a chip on their shoulder and embrace the distinction. It's like Mets fans -- they're a devoted lot but they want nothing to do with their more iconic city mate.
Now when they were totally hapless, until they get Blake Griffin, I could hope that some good things would happen for them just out of pity. But now that they have some success, we hate them and they hate us right back. All is good with the world that way.
Old 03-10-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
DVT is what killed Jerome Kersey a few years ago. He unknowingly had a blood clot in his calf after knee surgery and the clot traveled to his lung causing a pulmonary embolism that killed him.

I was diagnosed with DVT 2 years ago in my leg. I'm going on 1 1/2 years on blood thinners.
Isn't this also what forced Bosh to retire?

As for the Clips:
I'm not quite old enough to go back to the Buffalo Braves era. Like most LA residents, I'm a transplant, and when I moved here the Clippers games were not only much cheaper, they were much closer to get to (in the run down Sports Arena). I came from a place with no home team, so I decided to start fresh. Of course, their best (only) player was Loy Vaught at the time, so I was both a Clippers/Lakers fan (the Lakers being in that Magic-retiring, Van Exel/Eddie Jones/Elden Campbell/Divac mode of being ok but in between their dominating fazes). Like Decker said, at the time there was no conflict... both weren't going anywhere, and by the time the Lakers got going with Shaq and Kobe, the Clips were still so hapless that they weren't a threat and you could safely be fans of both teams.

I got older, still couldn't reasonably afford Lakers tickets, and the Clips became decent with Andre Miller, Odom, Maggette, Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson, and Brand. I think around 2004 they actually had a better record than the then-in-a-brief-decline Lakers. That was the only way the wife and I could get into Staples Center and she had no affiliation beyond being a Jordan fan back in the day, so we became Clippers fans. And we watched in horror as Shaun Livingston had a devastating injury, Darius Miles regressed, and Brand ditched the team just as Baron Davis signed, assuming he'd be a Clipper. Then Blake gets drafted, predictably gets injured for an entire year, comes back and wins the dunk contest with Davis lobbing it to him from a Kia, and then Davis gets traded like the next day for Mo Williams... oh and they gave away what would become the number one overall pick in basically a salary dump.

But I do think that what Decker says is both true and untrue. The CP3 trade changed a lot... it's not just jealousy/anger over the way that the league vetoed the trade to the Lakers, but really that was what turned the Clippers into a true contender when the Lakers were reeling. Blake and Deandre were a start but they were going to be stuck in no man's land if CP3 didn't come. That was the key. And despite years and years of Clippers regular season dominance (then utter defeat in the playoffs) with two of the most high profile players on the planet while the Lakers were earning number 2 picks, the Clips still lost the ratings war. Heck, they traded away their best player for picks and still are a better team than the Lakers but nobody cares. But that's ok. I was deeply saddened when they cast off the one star who actually wanted to be there, but I see that they're thinking long term. I dunno, I'm used to it, somehow I'm a Bengals fan too and I was basically willing to just spend the next few seasons enjoying the NBA as a whole. Of course, if they can actually pry a huge free agent signing with one of their two max spaces...
Old 03-10-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the horror stories, fuji. Had to google that draft pick. Clips traded Baron Davis and an unprotected #1 that capitalized on a 2.8% chance to be first overall, and became Kyrie Irving.

Jerome Kersey
Old 03-10-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What a petty, salty bitch James Dolan is. I hope he gets fined for this bullshit and the league forces him to give the fan free tickets to Knicks games

Old 03-10-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
For any Southern Californian's here, we all know that the Lakers and Dodgers are two of the most historic franchises in all of sports. How does a person who grows up in that area end up choosing the Clippers or Angels over those teams? Is someone who just enjoys being different? Is there a certain part of Southern Cal that those teams draw too? I know if I grew up in LA, I would gravitate to the Dodgers and Lakers just because of their history. It's a bit different in NY (I went to school with many kids from NY/North Jersey) and you either rooted for the Jets/Mets or the Giants/Yankees as most of them fell along those lines, and some burroughs of NY sort of went for those specific teams.
I grew up in OC so I followed the Angels. I like the Dodgers, too. I donít wish for them to fail. The Lakers were because OC didnít have a basketball team. The Kings were around before the Ducks. The 49ers I follow because my brother got me into them in the late 80ís.
Old 03-10-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dolan is a whiny putz. I can see that if there were any divine intervention that God might not want him to be able to revel in a potential championship. However, that can't really be the case. You only have to look as far as the person running our country to see that shysters oftentimes get their way.
Old 03-11-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Andre Ingram getting called up to the big leagues with the Lakers again.

Remember he had a brief cup of tea last season, was later released, then re-signed with the South Bay Lakers again.
Old 03-11-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How can you tell when your team is tanking?

Moe Wagner starts and gets 22 points (6 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block).

How can you tell when you're desperate in fantasy?

You think long and hard about picking Moe Wagner up for the fantasy playoffs.
Old 03-12-19, 09:21 AM

I though Rusell Westbrook was just being a dick last night when he threatened a fan in Utah but it seems there's more to the story

Old 03-12-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what to think of the whole thing, I'll wait to hear more. I will say that the reporting was terrible, the headlines I have seen are "Westbrook threaten's fan, fan's wife" or shit like that. Seriously? He threatened two people, and one of them is "fan" and the other is "fan's wife"? Not two fans? Not couple? Nope, fan and fan's wife. Good thing the reporter knew the wife actually hates basketball.

I also hate the bullshit I am seeing that somehow it's ok to get into it with a guy, but not a woman. Either what Westbrook said is ok, or what the two fans said is ok, or it isn't. The gender stuff is bullshit.
Old 03-12-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I though Rusell Westbrook was just being a dick last night when he threatened a fan in Utah but it seems there's more to the story

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/statu...352862720?s=20
The fan has been permanently banned from the arena. And Jazz players came to Westbrook's defense.
Old 03-12-19, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
The fan has been permanently banned from the arena. And Jazz players came to Westbrook's defense.
Just saw that. I'm glad the Jazz took action and banned the fan. There's no place for that shit.
Old 03-12-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dolan saying he was "ambushed" and has banned the fan from MSG because he got his feelings hurt. How about being aware that people might do shit like that and either ignore them or not be a straight up prick to them. You have the money but they buy the tickets which puts more money in your pocket. Let them say whatever they want as long as it doesn't lead to mayhem and violence. The problem lies in the fact that 99% of the people in the arena think the same thing that this guy said and Dolan knows it.

The guy wouldn't have made much money from allegedly selling the tape to TMZ if Dolan just sauntered on into the back without saying a word.
Old 03-12-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-12-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yay Lakers win against the shitty Bulls.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.