Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the NBA Championship in 2019?
Golden State Warriors
52.17%
Boston Celtics
17.39%
Houston Rockets
8.70%
Philadelphia Sixers
0%
Toronto Raptors
4.35%
Los Angeles Lakers
8.70%
Oklahoma City Thunder
0%
Utah Jazz
0%
Milwaukee Bucks
4.35%
San Antonio Spurs
0%
New Orleans Pelicans
0%
Other
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 03-05-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What does the current play of the Lakers mean for the AD trade? Is the value of all the players they offered up dropping? Or would NOLA give some credit to the fact that their motivation has had an effect on their output these last couple of months?
Hard to say BI had played a lot better lately and that has probably increased his trade value. Lonzo hasn't played at all which may be an indication that his play is useful in helping the team win, but may also indicate that he is very injury prone.
Old 03-05-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lonzo is hurt; Ingram has actually played really well but is hurt. Hart has had a lingering injury, Kuzma is now undergoing an MRI but has also been playing at a decent clip besides his defense being atrocious. I don't think they've hurt their trade value, at least not any more than the Boston assets have lost their trade value.

Two things are going to be key: If the Knicks get the number 1 pick. If Boston can convince Kyrie to stay, then they can trade Tatum and bet on AD, but if not I'm not sure how they can even try to convince AD to stay with them.

One other thing of note I noticed while looking at the standings: the Pelicans are only 30-36 and yet have almost a point differential up on their opponents (they average 116 and their opponents average 115). They are the only team with a losing record to boast that. I don't know what that means, but I thought it was interesting.

Also, the Bucks, who are at the top of the league, are scoring more than 9 points over their opponent.
Old 03-05-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even if they made the postseason, which is unlikely, they are so injury plagued that they would probably only win 1 game at best in a 1st round series. No chance with this roster to win a 1st round series.
Old 03-05-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I new about Ball but I didn't know the others had injuries as well. I don't keep up with them too much.

I'm still very sour on the idea of including Tatum in a deal for AD. I see no chance that Kyrie re-signs after all the garbage he's been talking lately. Dude wants to be a team leader but refuses to act like a team leader or take any responsibility.
Old 03-05-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kyrie and KD in NY is a Knicks fan's wet dream, but would be such a volatile mix that I'm almost rooting for it to happen.

KD was screaming about the media coverage in OKC, can you imagine how he would respond to negative coverage in New York?
Old 03-05-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Pelinka/Magic haven't really built a roster to win, and those one year signings are still head scratchers, but they did successfully bring Lebron in and went all out to try to get Davis, plus they freed up money next year so I don't see how you can replace them. In hindsight, not going all in to get Paul George, especially the way he's playing right now, seems like a huge mistake, but everyone and their mother assumed he'd come here anyway (I don't really believe the Spurs would have traded Kawhi to the Lakers for any package).
Given Lebron's Mogul ambitions it's more then likely he was taking his talents to LA no matter who the GM was
Old 03-05-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For all the crap the Lakers have endured this season, at least they're not the Knicks. Probably one of the most irrelevant big market franchises right now. 12 losing seasons in the last 15 years and 8 different coaches. Plus they have a horrible owner who doesn't give a crap about his team. Really they thought David Fizdale was the answer?

They're so bad that even one of the greatest coaches in NBA history couldn't fix them and was eventually fired.

Even though Jeanie Buss may not know everything about the game, she's trusted one of the greatest players in franchise history to turn things around. She and Magic both care deeply about this team and I have faith that things will turn around eventually. Of course they're going to experience some bumpy roads. The injuries being one of the things that have completely derailed this season and the lack of depth.
Old 03-05-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
For all the crap the Lakers have endured this season, at least they're not the Knicks. Probably one of the most irrelevant big market franchises right now. 12 losing seasons in the last 15 years and 8 different coaches. Plus they have a horrible owner who doesn't give a crap about his team. Really they thought David Fizdale was the answer?

They're so bad that even one of the greatest coaches in NBA history couldn't fix them and was eventually fired.

Even though Jeanie Buss may not know everything about the game, she's trusted one of the greatest players in franchise history to turn things around. She and Magic both care deeply about this team and I have faith that things will turn around eventually. Of course they're going to experience some bumpy roads. The injuries being one of the things that have completely derailed this season and the lack of depth.
It's kind of unfair to insinuate that it was the Knicks ownership's fault that Phil Jackson crashed and burned. Phil was an incredible coach, but he didn't want to coach anymore, and he was a terrible GM.

Dolan is a terrible owner, though even despite that the Knicks net worth is still on top. But he's the main reason why I don't buy anyone wanting to come play there.

Old 03-05-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Given Lebron's Mogul ambitions it's more then likely he was taking his talents to LA no matter who the GM was
I know everyone forgets this, but there's another team in LA...
Old 03-05-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's kind of unfair to insinuate that it was the Knicks ownership's fault that Phil Jackson crashed and burned. Phil was an incredible coach, but he didn't want to coach anymore, and he was a terrible GM.

Dolan is a terrible owner, though even despite that the Knicks net worth is still on top. But he's the main reason why I don't buy anyone wanting to come play there.
Agree. Dolan IS a terrible owner. But Phil's failures are entirely his own. He wanted the big money in New York, but he didn't want to work, he didn't want to adapt to a changing NBA, and he made some terrible decisions.
Old 03-06-19, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
As much as I like Walton, he's gone after the season is over. The good thing for him is he won't be out of a job for long. It just makes you wonder if the front office already has someone in mind? Is it just me or does LeBron seemed bored or not as Sharpe as he usually is this season? Being in the Finals for eight straight years has to have taken a toll on his body. Hopefully, he will take advantage of the long offseason he's going to have and get some rest and come back strong and refreshed for the 2019-20 season.
This reminds me of how Bill Simmons used to say Kobe was wearing down after all the mileage. And that was only seven trips to the Finals and not consecutively like LeBron.
Old 03-06-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Impressive wins by both the Celtics and Rockets last night.
Old 03-06-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Impressive wins by both the Celtics and Rockets last night.
About time. The Celtics ARE capable of games like this if they just stop the chemistry issues that hurt the team recently.
Old 03-06-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
This reminds me of how Bill Simmons used to say Kobe was wearing down after all the mileage. And that was only seven trips to the Finals and not consecutively like LeBron.
As a Sixers fan, this was the one thing that worried me about the team pursuing Lebron last summer. I got alot of crap from friends and I still would have been juiced if Lebron choose the Sixers over the Lakers. But the guy is 33-34 years old, and he has logged ALOT of miles (I believe this was his first major injury), so he can't play at this level forever. Although I did hear a pundit on NBA Network last year (I can't remember who said it) that Lebron should have moved to the PF position as those are the guys who still play at a high level in their late 30's. Guys like Karl Malone and Tim Duncan were still great because you don't take the pounding those guards/forwards running around, playing defense, etc. Lebron could be that post up Power Forward (and still take the ball outside the paint), compared to being a Point Forward as that puts the most miles on his body.
Old 03-06-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
As a Sixers fan, this was the one thing that worried me about the team pursuing Lebron last summer. I got alot of crap from friends and I still would have been juiced if Lebron choose the Sixers over the Lakers. But the guy is 33-34 years old, and he has logged ALOT of miles (I believe this was his first major injury), so he can't play at this level forever. Although I did hear a pundit on NBA Network last year (I can't remember who said it) that Lebron should have moved to the PF position as those are the guys who still play at a high level in their late 30's. Guys like Karl Malone and Tim Duncan were still great because you don't take the pounding those guards/forwards running around, playing defense, etc. Lebron could be that post up Power Forward (and still take the ball outside the paint), compared to being a Point Forward as that puts the most miles on his body.
If you take him away from being a point forward, you take away a large part of what makes him great. Besides that, there's not a ton of use for a post up four these days, if anything he'd see the most use out of being a small ball 5 but that would also wear him down.

Lebron would have been money on the Sixers, though, since they're one of the few teams with a true versatile center. The main problem was the overlap between him and Simmons and Ben's lack of shooting.
Old 03-06-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lebron would have been money on the Sixers, though, since they're one of the few teams with a true versatile center. The main problem was the overlap between him and Simmons and Ben's lack of shooting.
My one worry about Lebron coming to the Sixers was exactly what you said about he and Simmons. Brett Brown adjusted midway through the season and now has Jimmy Butler (which would have been Lebron) take over the PG position in crunch time and Ben Simmons becomes more of a roving power forward compared to the Point Guard for the first 3 quarters. Ben Simmons still can't shoot but he is matchup nightmare for any small guard inside the post (when he has an open lane that is when he really excels), so that is how he can still dominate being one dimensional. Tobias Harris has actually fit perfectly in the offense as I could see the Sixers re-signing him and letting Jimmy Butler go, as he is a stretch four but still shoots 40% at the 3 point arc.

Old 03-06-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
My one worry about Lebron coming to the Sixers was exactly what you said about he and Simmons. Brett Brown adjusted midway through the season and now has Jimmy Butler (which would have been Lebron) take over the PG position in crunch time and Ben Simmons becomes more of a roving power forward compared to the Point Guard for the first 3 quarters. Ben Simmons still can't shoot but he is matchup nightmare for any small guard inside the post (when he has an open lane that is when he really excels), so that is how he can still dominate being one dimensional. Tobias Harris has actually fit perfectly in the offense as I could see the Sixers re-signing him and letting Jimmy Butler go, as he is a stretch four but still shoots 40% at the 3 point arc.
I haven't watched any Sixers games since my Clips traded Harris to them, but I'm glad he's doing well. It'll be interesting to see what the team looks like once Embiid finally comes back. Simmons won't really convince me until the playoffs, when he plays against a coach like Stevens who will expose his weaknesses for a 7 game series. Although that's more of a Brett Brown thing.
Old 03-06-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems the Celtics always give the Warriors problems and maybe Golden State should be happy they never faced them in the NBA Finals.
Old 03-07-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Guess what? Another L.

It was basically LeBron and a G League team tonight.

Not having Kuz, BI and of course Lonzo sucked. The injuries have really killed this season along with the shitty chemistry.
Old 03-07-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m not even mad about the losses now. It’s funny how every game changes to a must win though. “Oh the Lakers dropped a pivotal game against the Pelicans. They dropped a crucial game against the Suns. They dropped a huge needed game against the Clippers. They missed a big opportunity against the Nuggets.” I’m just waiting for someone to say “Well, they lost. Not much changed.”

Maybe next year. But as a Laker fan, saying that is getting old. But I mean they went what seven years between titles (02-09) before so maybe this time it’ll be ten. Which is what next year? Lol. A fan can dream.
Old 03-07-19, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know you cannot believe the talking heads on ESPN, but in their little roundtable discussion the other day, they were saying they don't see any of the superstars who are up for free agency this summer signing with the Lakers. It would have been interesting to see how this team had done this season if injuries hadn't started to pile up and take key members of the team out for long periods of time.
Old 03-07-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I’m not even mad about the losses now. It’s funny how every game changes to a must win though. “Oh the Lakers dropped a pivotal game against the Pelicans. They dropped a crucial game against the Suns. They dropped a huge needed game against the Clippers. They missed a big opportunity against the Nuggets.” I’m just waiting for someone to say “Well, they lost. Not much changed.”

Maybe next year. But as a Laker fan, saying that is getting old. But I mean they went what seven years between titles (02-09) before so maybe this time it’ll be ten. Which is what next year? Lol. A fan can dream.
I'm telling you, at this point every game is a must lose. They are only 2.5 games out of that magic 7th-to-the-bottom spot, mainly because the Wizards went on a 2 game winning streak, and 4.5 games from the 6th-to-the-bottom. They are 6.5 games back from the Clips for the 8th spot in the West AND they don't have the tiebreaker (for either the Clips or the Spurs) so they're really 7 games back.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I know you cannot believe the talking heads on ESPN, but in their little roundtable discussion the other day, they were saying they don't see any of the superstars who are up for free agency this summer signing with the Lakers. It would have been interesting to see how this team had done this season if injuries hadn't started to pile up and take key members of the team out for long periods of time.
If nobody comes to the Lakers, you'll get your chance to see them next year...

Last edited by fujishig; 03-08-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Lakers are cutting back LeBron's minutes per game. It looks like they have officially thrown in the towel for this season. Rumors are that Luke Walton will be the new head coach at UCLA next season.

Lakers say they'll scale back on LeBron's minutes
Old 03-08-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That sounds like a good decision all around at this point.
Old 03-08-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe Laker fans here can start cheering for the Clippers. - I mean just for this season.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.