Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the NBA Championship in 2019?
Golden State Warriors
52.17%
Boston Celtics
17.39%
Houston Rockets
8.70%
Philadelphia Sixers
0%
Toronto Raptors
4.35%
Los Angeles Lakers
8.70%
Oklahoma City Thunder
0%
Utah Jazz
0%
Milwaukee Bucks
4.35%
San Antonio Spurs
0%
New Orleans Pelicans
0%
Other
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

James Harden is 7 for his last 44 from 3. Woof.
Old 02-28-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no way they'd let the Lakers win the (fixed) lottery, too many eyes. It's ok to low key push AD to New Orleans to reward a new owner, but there would be too much of an uproar. They can, however, get the second pick. Like three years in a row, so they don't lose their pick. And nobody bats an eye.
Old 02-28-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There is no way they'd let the Lakers win the (fixed) lottery, too many eyes. It's ok to low key push AD to New Orleans to reward a new owner, but there would be too much of an uproar. They can, however, get the second pick. Like three years in a row, so they don't lose their pick. And nobody bats an eye.
I honestly don't think it would affect the NBA one bit in terms of ratings if the Lakers won the lottery, despite the cries and screams of from the conspiracy theorists (Lebron in the finals is good for the NBA). The NBA is the only sport to get away with 'super' teams or colluding behind the scenes, or whatever you want to call it, as they always do better in the ratings. You think back to the those 2000's Spurs teams and they were ratings poison for the NBA (The 2003 NBA finals is still one of the lowest rated finals ever). The league really became revitalized since 'The Decision' as Superteams never affected the ratings. People love when the Lakers, Celtics, and guys like Lebron, Durant, Jordan and Kobe are in the finals. Durant went to the Warriors joining an already superteam, and the ratings never suffered. Do you think the NBA wants Toronto or Milwaukee in the Finals? Ray Allen is still convinced the refs fixed Game 7 of the 2001 Eastern Finals cause the NBA wanted Iverson vs Kobe/Shaq. I read an article (I wish I could find it), but they talk about how the NBA secretly loves all of the colluding and they will call out Magic in public and fine him, but they love that he is talking about AD or wanting to work out Ben Simmons.
Old 02-28-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I honestly don't think it would affect the NBA one bit in terms of ratings if the Lakers won the lottery, despite the cries and screams of from the conspiracy theorists (Lebron in the finals is good for the NBA). The NBA is the only sport to get away with 'super' teams or colluding behind the scenes, or whatever you want to call it, as they always do better in the ratings. You think back to the those 2000's Spurs teams and they were ratings poison for the NBA (The 2003 NBA finals is still one of the lowest rated finals ever). The league really became revitalized since 'The Decision' as Superteams never affected the ratings. People love when the Lakers, Celtics, and guys like Lebron, Durant, Jordan and Kobe are in the finals. Durant went to the Warriors joining an already superteam, and the ratings never suffered. Do you think the NBA wants Toronto or Milwaukee in the Finals? Ray Allen is still convinced the refs fixed Game 7 of the 2001 Eastern Finals cause the NBA wanted Iverson vs Kobe/Shaq. I read an article (I wish I could find it), but they talk about how the NBA secretly loves all of the colluding and they will call out Magic in public and fine him, but they love that he is talking about AD or wanting to work out Ben Simmons.
I don't get what you're saying. It seems like you're saying that the Lakers getting Zion would help the league greatly, so in effect the Lakers getting that pick would absolutely affect the league in terms of ratings.

The league needs to keep at least the pretense of parity so that the fans of the other teams don't check out, but as you say it's always been about a few elite teams. In fact, if you don't win more than one championship, you're usually considered a fluke, that's how many dynasties the NBA has had.

btw, I don't really believe it's absolutely fixed or anything, it's just interesting to me. Even if you look at Lebron's recent choices: he basically made his way back to Cleveland because they were gifted multiple number 1s (that they did very little with, but still) and this time he went to a team that had multiple number 2s. Like what are the odds that Cleveland got all those number 1 picks or the Lakers would get number 2 three years in a row?

People complain about Lebron forming super teams, but the Lakers somehow added two number one overall picks to Kareem in the Showtime years, and almost instantly added Kobe to Shaq. The Celtics run of luck wouldn't have ended had Len Bias not overdosed and then Reggie Lewis not tragically passed. The narrative in the NBA is better than anything the WWE has come up with in years.
Old 02-28-19, 09:28 AM

I don't get what you're saying. It seems like you're saying that the Lakers getting Zion would help the league greatly, so in effect the Lakers getting that pick would absolutely affect the league in terms of ratings.
I'm just saying that the Lakers are probably going to still get AD, so that #1 pick would help nicely along with anyone else Lebron recruits over the summer. This Lakers team will be vastly different next year.

People complain about Lebron forming super teams, but the Lakers somehow added two number one overall picks to Kareem in the Showtime years, and almost instantly added Kobe to Shaq. The Celtics run of luck wouldn't have ended had Len Bias not overdosed and then Reggie Lewis not tragically passed. The narrative in the NBA is better than anything the WWE has come up with in years.
That's kind of my point that the league has always been top heavy and the super teams have added superstars on top of that, and it's never suffered. People always talk about the glorious 80's but only 5 teams made the finals in that 10 years stretch out of 23 teams so there was no parity. The NBA lives and dies with its superstars and that is why they can get away with it. Lebron vs Hardin will attract viewers where a Charlotte vs Orlando won't. Compared that with the NFL where people will tune into a Miami vs Jets Thursday Night Game.
Old 02-28-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I'm just saying that the Lakers are probably going to still get AD, so that #1 pick would help nicely along with anyone else Lebron recruits over the summer. This Lakers team will be vastly different next year.

That's kind of my point that the league has always been top heavy and the super teams have added superstars on top of that, and it's never suffered. People always talk about the glorious 80's but only 5 teams made the finals in that 10 years stretch out of 23 teams so there was no parity. The NBA lives and dies with its superstars and that is why they can get away with it. Lebron vs Hardin will attract viewers where a Charlotte vs Orlando won't. Compared that with the NFL where people will tune into a Miami vs Jets Thursday Night Game.
In a non fixed league, there is the possibility that AD doesn't come to LA and Lebron is stuck. I don't envision that happening, but we'll see. Worst case scenario is the Knicks get Zion, trade him for AD, and add Durant/Kyrie while the Clips add Kawhi (well, that would be good for me), Klay stays because they freed up money. But that Knicks scenario seems far fetched even with ESPN pushing that narrative as long as Dolan is the owner.

Old 02-28-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-01-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lakers fall apart in the final two minutes. A two point lead becomes a nine point deficit. That was ugly.
Old 03-02-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fire Walton. Why delay the inevitable? I know a coaching change isn't really going to make a difference, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

How the fuck do you lose to the worst team in the NBA tonight? Just embarrassing.
Old 03-02-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The same way you lose to the other worst teams in the league (Cavs, Knicks, and Hawks). I saw the score and laughed. I wasn’t surprised at all.
Old 03-03-19, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the life of me, I can't figure this Laker team out. Forget the playoffs, just active "tank mode" and see if you can land a lottery pick.
Old 03-03-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are a definition of a definitive mercurial team.
Old 03-03-19, 12:03 PM

It's going to be weird to have an NBA playoffs without Lebron, as he has been in every final since 2011 and this year he may not even qualify.
Old 03-03-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah this team is weird and frustrating. Poorly built. I don't really blame the kids - Brandon Ingram had been playing very well - at least until last night. Don't get it. Need a new coach for sure, but more than that. My worst fears about signing LeBron have all been realized.
Old 03-03-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While NBA teams battle for playoff spots chances are the Lakers will still have their National games still televised while better match ups are on NBA League Pass.

As in the past,I can't recall the NBA making National TV schedule changes(unlike the other sports).
Old 03-03-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah this team is weird and frustrating. Poorly built. I don't really blame the kids - Brandon Ingram had been playing very well - at least until last night. Don't get it. Need a new coach for sure, but more than that. My worst fears about signing LeBron have all been realized.
Many of the local NBA beat writers have said that this team is far from being a competitive playoff team. They basically got LeBron and a mish-mash of 1-year deal role players. They are basically holding out for 1 more season until summer 2019 to add another top tier player.

On the other hand, they were actually playing decently in December and LeBron's injury along with injuries to the guards have really derailed the season.

Josh Hart had a great summer league and early on was a good contributor off the bench, but he's been shooting really poorly the last few months.

I like Luke. He seems like a good guy, but it's looking more like he's not the right guy to lead this team. He really got lucky being the Interim Warriors coach 4 years ago with that great start, which increased his stock. He already had championship level talent when he filled in for Kerr.
Old 03-03-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, t think Tyrron Lue, LeBron's recent coach at Cleveland, could be coming to the Lakers next season.
Old 03-03-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much heat as Luke and some of these young guys have to me it all falls back on Management. This is a hastily assembled roster that doesn't fit,they tried to walk the line btwn developing their lottery picks and win now with all these 1 year hired hands. Trying to work 2 very opposite agenda's has blown up in their face and they are failing at both.
Old 03-03-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
As much heat as Luke and some of these young guys have to me it all falls back on Management. This is a hastily assembled roster that doesn't fit,they tried to walk the line btwn developing their lottery picks and win now with all these 1 year hired hands. Trying to work 2 very opposite agenda's has blown up in their face and they are failing at both.
yep
Old 03-03-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-04-19, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
While NBA teams battle for playoff spots chances are the Lakers will still have their National games still televised while better match ups are on NBA League Pass.

As in the past,I can't recall the NBA making National TV schedule changes(unlike the other sports).
They have flexed games on ESPN later in the season, not sure about TNT and ABC games (simply because there are a limited amount of games those days). Lebron will still sell nationally (even if the Lakers are out of the playoffs), so I don't see them flexing out any of his games til the end of the year.
Old 03-04-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Melo won't be joining the Lakers. Have we seen the last of him in the NBA? Would be a very strange end to a hall of fame career.
Old 03-04-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Andrew Bogut will be joining the Warriors.

I thought that Gortat who was released by the Clippers was said too be looking to hook up with Golden State.

I wish he would go back to the Wizards because they have the second worse D in the League and I am guessing they give up more points in the paint than anyone in recent memory.

If they had played half way defense the Wizards would be a playoff team but they are getting close too tanking it for the rest of the season.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 03-04-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight in the battle for Staples.

The Clippers really need to miss the playoffs to keep their pick and they are now the 7th seed, five games up on the 10th place Lakers, who of course just lost to the 15th place Suns. It's actually kind of amazing how far back the Suns are... the 14th seed Grizzlies are 11.5 games ahead of them.

Clips should've trade Lou and Harrell because they didn't get the memo. Heck they trade for Shamet and the dude looks good.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-04-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight in the battle for Staples.

The Clippers really need to miss the playoffs to keep their pick and they are now the 7th seed
If they miss the playoffs and keep the pick, what happens next year? Is it unprotected then? Or is it like it was with the Lakers and Orlando where it then converts to a couple of second round picks instead?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.