Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who Will Win the NBA Championship in 2019?
Golden State Warriors
52.17%
Boston Celtics
17.39%
Houston Rockets
8.70%
Philadelphia Sixers
0%
Toronto Raptors
4.35%
Los Angeles Lakers
8.70%
Oklahoma City Thunder
0%
Utah Jazz
0%
Milwaukee Bucks
4.35%
San Antonio Spurs
0%
New Orleans Pelicans
0%
Other
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 01-16-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Ugh, it would be so stupid to blame Luke when everyone knew that management put together a shaky roster this offseason to begin with. Is it really a wonder that they're losing games without Lebron because they can't shoot or defend? Not a fan of Shaw taking the reigns on this team after a rough go in Denver, or any "old" college coach like Calipari who didn't do well has last time in the NBA.

Of course, I think Lebron is the one that's influenced other coaches getting the boot so it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to pick someone new.
Old 01-16-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
He's taking heat for it since no one born before the 2000s believes he's the greatest player ever. LeBron seems obsessed by his GOAT status despite everyone calling him the best player on the planet for the last decade. Here's a clue for LeBron. You don't lose that many times in the Finals and get called the best ever.
Since they messed up the "unread" posts thing, this was my first unread post. Must have missed it. I was born in the 1960s, have been a huge NBA fan since right before Larry and Magic came to the league, and I think Lebron is the GOAT. Lebron has lost in the finals, sure, but he's been to many more than Jordan. And the teams he has taken to the Finals were worse than Jordan's. And he didn't take nearly as long to get a team to the Finals. But I also happen to think "how many finals did you win" or "how many finals did you lose" is a very poor way to determine the best ever.
Old 01-16-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they fire Luke, he won't be out of a job for very long.
Old 01-16-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James to miss at least next two games

Lebron out at least the next 2 games, which are tough ones against OKC and Houston.
Old 01-16-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That does seem like an odd metric, like making it to the Finals and losing is somehow worse than not making it to the Finals at all.
Old 01-16-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope the Lakers have more sense than to fire Walton. He's a good, young coach. It's not his fault he hasn't had much to work with in LA.
Old 01-16-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Since they messed up the "unread" posts thing, this was my first unread post. Must have missed it. I was born in the 1960s, have been a huge NBA fan since right before Larry and Magic came to the league, and I think Lebron is the GOAT. Lebron has lost in the finals, sure, but he's been to many more than Jordan. And the teams he has taken to the Finals were worse than Jordan's. And he didn't take nearly as long to get a team to the Finals. But I also happen to think "how many finals did you win" or "how many finals did you lose" is a very poor way to determine the best ever.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I hope the Lakers have more sense than to fire Walton. He's a good, young coach. It's not his fault he hasn't had much to work with in LA.
Old 01-17-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice win by the Celtics. Up and down, I hope they turn the corner.
Old 01-18-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Huge win by the Lakers tonight against OKC.

Zu and Kuzma had big games. This is definitely a big momentum booster, especially against a top West team.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-18-19 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and I think Lebron is the GOAT. Lebron has lost in the finals, sure, but he's been to many more than Jordan. And the teams he has taken to the Finals were worse than Jordan's. And he didn't take nearly as long to get a team to the Finals. But I also happen to think "how many finals did you win" or "how many finals did you lose" is a very poor way to determine the best ever.
It's so tough to compare era's because Jordan's first 7 years were ruled by the Celtics and Pistons (they were dominant teams in the Eastern Conference), so he was never going to sniff the Finals no matter how great he was until he got a supporting cast. But I give kudos to Lebron for literally carrying average teams to the finals when he was on the Cavs, but I also think the East has been weak the past 4 years. Let's just say Lebron was in the West the last 4 years, does he make 4 NBA Finals? Does he make the Finals in 2007? That's why I sort of stay away from the argument because there are so many variables and just look at the players and evaluate them in every aspect of their game, including playoffs. Luckily I saw them both play their whole career (unlike Wilt/Russell) I still think I would take Jordan over Lebron, but it's damn close.

Old 01-18-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Huge win by the Lakers tonight against OKC.

Zu and Kuzma at big games. This is definitely a big momentum booster, especially against a top West team.
Westbrook basically shot them out of the game. 7-30? I remember looking at his stats when I was looking at potential all stars and was surprised how much his scoring is down, but he's only taking one less shot per game and scoring almost four less points. Still has career high assists and steals and averaging a triple double, but his free throw shooting is an abysmal .645 (though he was money in tying the game with those three after the Lonzo foul), so not sure what's happening there.

But when you give up 26 and 12 to Zubac, you deserve to lose.
Old 01-18-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
It's so tough to compare era's because Jordan's first 7 years were ruled by the Celtics and Pistons (they were dominant teams in the Eastern Conference), so he was never going to sniff the Finals no matter how great he was until he got a supporting cast. But I give kudos to Lebron for literally carrying average teams to the finals when he was on the Cavs, but I also think the East has been weak the past 4 years. Let's just say Lebron was in the West the last 4 years, does he make 4 NBA Finals? Does he make the Finals in 2007? That's why I sort of stay away from the argument because there are so many variables and just look at the players and evaluate them in every aspect of their game, including playoffs. Luckily I saw them both play their whole career (unlike Wilt/Russell) I still think I would take Jordan over Lebron, but it's damn close.
I totally agree re your analysis, that is why I think using final's appearances or finals record or whatever is a dumb way to evaluate it. I too saw both of them their whole careers, and I think it's totally arguable (and of course something that will never be resolved). I also agree that it's damn close. Each had aspects of their game that bested the other.
Old 01-18-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great to see the Lakers beat OKC on the road It's funny that a bad loss means Luke is fired, a good win and everyone is quiet. Especially funny looking at the standings and the Lakers are only 2 games back from OKC for the 3rd seed, which isn't too shabby minus Lebron for 3 weeks.

Of course, they're also only 5 games from dropping to 14th. This West be crazy!

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Westbrook basically shot them out of the game. 7-30? I remember looking at his stats when I was looking at potential all stars and was surprised how much his scoring is down, but he's only taking one less shot per game and scoring almost four less points. Still has career high assists and steals and averaging a triple double, but his free throw shooting is an abysmal .645 (though he was money in tying the game with those three after the Lonzo foul), so not sure what's happening there.

But when you give up 26 and 12 to Zubac, you deserve to lose.
That's been pretty typical of Westbrook this year, it seems like every few games he has an absolutely miserable shooting game. 7/30 this last game, but the last few weeks also had games of 9/24, 9/23, 3/20, 4/22, 6/20, 3/17... on SiriusXM NBA Radio a week ago they were talking about whether Russell is finally slowing down at age 30 and he's hitting that wall athletically.
Old 01-18-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny thing is, he was 7-30 field. But 5-12 from downtown. Which means he was... 2-18 from inside the arc????
Old 01-18-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

That's been pretty typical of Westbrook this year, it seems like every few games he has an absolutely miserable shooting game. 7/30 this last game, but the last few weeks also had games of 9/24, 9/23, 3/20, 4/22, 6/20, 3/17... on SiriusXM NBA Radio a week ago they were talking about whether Russell is finally slowing down at age 30 and he's hitting that wall athletically.
I don't watch Thunder games all that often, but like I said he's averaging a career high in assists and steals and is close to a career high in rebounds. Considering how his free throw percentage has dropped off a cliff, I thought maybe an injury was hampering his shooting or something. Or maybe Deandre Jordan stole his FT shooting mojo.

I was listening to the radio afterwards and they were talking about how Russ was basically shell shocked, like he expected contact on every shot he put up.
Old 01-18-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I totally agree re your analysis, that is why I think using final's appearances or finals record or whatever is a dumb way to evaluate it. I too saw both of them their whole careers, and I think it's totally arguable (and of course something that will never be resolved). I also agree that it's damn close. Each had aspects of their game that bested the other.
I also think it's tough because they don't play the same position, so they do different things. I think it's easier to compare Jordan to Kobe, or Lebron to Bird, or Wilt to Russell, etc. I'm still suprised that Lebron is not up there on everyone's greatest top 5 players lists (I hear people call in Talk Radio and still won't concede how great he is), as it seems like some still hate him for The Decision? I would put my top 5 players at Wilt/C, Lebron SF, Jordan SG, Magic PG, and Power Forward is tough: Karl Malone or Duncan? But I still feel Duncan was a Center, but that's a whole other argument!
Old 01-18-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would also add that the narrative that Lebron dominating the East is nothing because of the weakness of the conference is a little flawed. Don't get me wrong, the East has been trash compared to the West, but that's mostly been depth; every year there have still been viable challengers in the East at the very top. Granted, Golden State's ascension ruined competitive balance in general, and sometimes the top two teams battled it out in the West, but it's not like Lebron had a cakewalk every year. And he and Kyrie basically beat the best team in the league and made them sign the second best player to get over the hump.

Also, while I think Jordan is better and I doubt anything but a 7 year straight championship run where a single player was clearly the top player could change my mind, he would have been massacred by the media if he played now, and that makes a huge difference in perception.

Time to repost my favorite Game of Zones, which really should have been updated last year
Old 01-19-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lakers have nearly blown all of a 20+ lead against the Rockets. And Lonzo rolled his ankle and was seen in a wheelchair. Not good.
Old 01-19-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure I agree with the foul on Harden. You know he was gonna take the three but the way the Lakers shoot free throws... they have to make both and then the Rockets will attempt another three anyway.
Old 01-19-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lol. Overtime. Lucky ass shot.
Old 01-19-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. From KCP’s terrible 30 foot three attempt to Kuz fumbling the inbounds pass out of bounds. This might be the most painful loss of the year.
Old 01-19-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, tough loss, especially after how they dominated for most of the game.

Losing Ball to the ankle injury didn't help and once again Harden had a monster game.
Old 01-20-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Harden is such a flopper. He’s got skills though. But he’s the new LBJ. Every play is a foul
Old 01-20-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ball is out 4-6 weeks with a grade 3 ankle sprain.

That sucks. Now they have no PG. I wonder who they start? Seemed like Stephenson was playing a lot of PG in the last game.
Old 01-21-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ESPN is reporting that Carmelo Anthony has been traded to the Bulls.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.