Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Old 11-26-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
I just realized Iíve been a bit remiss in my posting this season since Iím a Knights season ticket holder.

The back to back shutouts by Fleury over the weekend put us in 3rd place behind the two teams we just dominated. The Knights are back!

We have a promotion here that gives fans a free dozen of Krispy Kreme donuts after every shutout. If everyone redeemed their tickets, they were on the hook for over 400,000 donuts last weekend! I still had half of Fridayís batch left when I went back Sunday morning for another dozen. Does Krispy Kreme run this promotion in other NHL cities?
This was like the fifth shutout I've been to but the first time I actually went and picked up the donuts afterwards (at my son's insistence). Line out the door and nobody paying a cent. How can Krispy Kreme stay in business with that promo?
Old 11-27-18, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
This was like the fifth shutout I've been to but the first time I actually went and picked up the donuts afterwards (at my son's insistence). Line out the door and nobody paying a cent. How can Krispy Kreme stay in business with that promo?
Weíve speculated on this too, but Krispy Kreme could have ended the promotion after last season and they didnít. So far this season theyíve paid off 5 times which is ahead of last seasonís pace. I suspect they may have underestimated Marc-Andre Fleury who leads the league in shutouts. My best guess is that their marketing department is paying for it out of their advertising budget.
Old 12-01-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yay, the Blues finally won an OT game.
Old 12-01-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Yay, the Blues finally won an OT game.
I can't even get excited about it. They've dug themselves such an absurd hole.
Old 12-01-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharks are way too talented to be playing this poorly. I don't know whether it'll help but I think the coaching staff needs to go.
Old 12-01-18, 08:37 PM

William Nylander finally re-signed with the Leafs (6x$6.9 million). With the Leafs doing as good as they are, was kind of hoping they'd refuse his demands and he'd have to sit out the season, as clearly his father was the one pushing for an unrealistic $8.5 million/year deal (obviously Nylander was the one who finally caved, but I still think the Leafs ended up over-paying a bit (I would've preferred him coming in at around $6.25 million/year, as they obviously are still going to need to extend Marner and Matthews come season's end). I just think the kid inherited the "selfish gene" from his greedy father (still won't forgive him for reneging on his deal with the Oilers when his wife decided that she just didn't want to live in Edmonton; God forbid you have to live in Edmonton! Your husband would've only been making $4-5 million a season! What a horrible position to be in). Anyway, glad the saga is over. But based on some of the statements made by his teammates, I'm not certain he'll be welcomed back with open arms...Today his teammates were saying all the right things to the cameras, but I feel there's a bit of resentment there...We'll see if he manages to not get traded next summer...
Old 12-02-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
William Nylander finally re-signed with the Leafs (6x$6.9 million). With the Leafs doing as good as they are, was kind of hoping they'd refuse his demands and he'd have to sit out the season, as clearly his father was the one pushing for an unrealistic $8.5 million/year deal (obviously Nylander was the one who finally caved, but I still think the Leafs ended up over-paying a bit (I would've preferred him coming in at around $6.25 million/year, as they obviously are still going to need to extend Marner and Matthews come season's end). I just think the kid inherited the "selfish gene" from his greedy father (still won't forgive him for reneging on his deal with the Oilers when his wife decided that she just didn't want to live in Edmonton; God forbid you have to live in Edmonton! Your husband would've only been making $4-5 million a season! What a horrible position to be in). Anyway, glad the saga is over. But based on some of the statements made by his teammates, I'm not certain he'll be welcomed back with open arms...Today his teammates were saying all the right things to the cameras, but I feel there's a bit of resentment there...We'll see if he manages to not get traded next summer...
I'm finally glad that the Nylander contract stalemate is finally over. Personally, I'll be surprised if he stays with the Leafs for the course of the contract as one good thing about his holdout was that they are players that can replace him. This upcoming offseason will be very important for the Leafs and determine whether they can navigate this salary cap challenge coming up.
Old 12-04-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Expansion to Seattle is official. Will start play in the 2021-22 season. Arizona will move from the Pacific to the Central division.
Old 12-04-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Expansion to Seattle is official. Will start play in the 2021-22 season. Arizona will move from the Pacific to the Central division.
Welcome, NHL! I hope it turns out to be a good match.
Old 12-04-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am hoping they call them the Seattle Totems(Western Hockey League name).
Old 12-04-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Knew it was coming, but cool to see it's official. Got a close friend in Seattle who is coming down to see the Knights play the Bruins. In a couple of years I will have to head up there to see the Knights take on the Sasquatch ().
Old 12-04-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW : They pushed back the first season a year due to concerns about rushing the Key Arena renovation.

The Golden Knights are exempt from the Expansion Draft.
Old 12-04-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bet the Vancouver Canucks are happy that they finally will have another team nearby.

I would think Portland(OR) would be Seattle's AHL team.
Old 12-04-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Somehow, the Seattle team is already 3 points ahead of my team (the Devils) with a game in hand.
Old 12-04-18, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I am hoping they call them the Seattle Totems(Western Hockey League name).
I don't mind that name. I'd be fine if they called them one of the following three:

The Seattle Totems
The Seattle Kraken
The Seattle Sasquatch

Those would all be fine, in my mind...
Old 12-04-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seattle Sockeyes is my favorite.
Old 12-04-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the NBA own the Supersonic's name?
Old 12-04-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Same here. Sadly one of the names getting tossed around and gaining tracton, is Seals. Don't like that one at all.

The Sonics name was set aside for when the NBA finally returns to Seattle. Which will likley happen is less than a decade ofter the new arena has opened. Could happen very quickly if an existing team looks to move.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-05-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Somehow, the Seattle team is already 3 points ahead of my team (the Devils) with a game in hand.
They will definitely win the Cup before the Blues.
Old 12-05-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Earlier in the year, counsel at the Oak View Group (which is interlinked with the Seattle ownership group and is overseeing the KeyArena renovations) applied for 38 domains representing 13 potential team names:

Seattle Cougars
Seattle Eagles
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Firebirds
Seattle Kraken
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Renegades
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Seals
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Totems
Seattle Whales
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...e-new-nhl-team
Old 12-05-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Old 12-05-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cougars, Emeralds and Evergreens are TERRIBLE names. And how could you even consider Whales when a whale is the mascot of your geographically closest rival? (though I suppose you could argue, as I did, that a Knight works in service of a King)
Of those names, I like Sockeyes and Kraken. But I like Sasquach better.
Should probably have the double-S alliteration, right?
Old 12-05-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As seen in the post by B.A., Sasquatch is not being seriously considered. Possibly because so many people in the media would butcher the name. And locally, probably because people old enough to remember would connect the name to the Sonics.

Old 12-05-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always enjoy the Uni Watch contests at ESPN.com. Some contestants came up with cool logos for Kraken and for Steelheads (which would work just as well for Sockeyes). Like them both :

Old 12-05-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any Minnesota Wild fans here? The Flyers just hired your former GM, Chuck Fletcher (the son of Cliff Fletcher who built the 1989 Calgary Stanley Cup team). From what I have read about him, the Wild made the playoffs most of the years during his tenure but they couldn't get past the 2nd round. He sounds like one of those GM who build a winner but can't get you to that next level? That is exactly what we are NOT looking! But I'm always willing to give any new hire a shot and see what he does.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.