Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Old 10-07-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
This Leafs/Hawks game is nuts
Hopefully they(The Leafs) can find a better back up goalie.

They let the wrong guy get away and he just got a win for Carolina.
Old 10-08-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Slow start for the Sharks this year. I haven't seen any of the games yet so I don't know how well Karlsson is fitting in but I'm guessing it's been a bit of a struggle so far.

Thornton has an infection in his repaired knee and is going to miss a some time.
Old 10-10-18, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Matt Murray is out with another concusion again received from taking a puck to the head in practice. Should make for an interesting October for the Pens.
Old 10-10-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Hopefully they(The Leafs) can find a better back up goalie.

They let the wrong guy get away and he just got a win for Carolina.
I don't blame them for going with Sparks as they had to give him a chance in the NHL after leading the Marlies to the Calder Cup last year. It's one game, let's wait until the end of the season to see whether they screwed up or not.

They need to do better defensively as a whole though. Getting outshot every single game so far which does not bodes well for Andersen.
Old 10-10-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cup Final rematch tonight in DC. Will be interesting to see if the Golden Knights shake off their early season cobwebs and play an aggressive competitive game for a change.
Old 10-11-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I don't blame them for going with Sparks as they had to give him a chance in the NHL after leading the Marlies to the Calder Cup last year. It's one game, let's wait until the end of the season to see whether they screwed up or not.

They need to do better defensively as a whole though. Getting outshot every single game so far which does not bodes well for Andersen.
I listened to a Sparks interview after the Chicago game and he sounded happy with his performance.

I would start him against Detroit and save Andersen for the Capitals.

The Leafs look good enough where they don't need to overwork their No. 1 goalie during the regular season and I would keep putting Sparks out there too see if he can hold up to NHL standards as a back-up.
Old 10-11-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Seattle is awarded an NHL expansion team(and I would guess Houston would get the next one) why not let them play in the AHL for a year or two and sign FA and not let them get such good players in the expansion draft?

I think back in the late 1960's the KC Royals got a head start on the other expansion teams(as far as the minor leagues are concerned) but they were only a little better than the others when they started for real in 1969.
Old 10-11-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If Seattle is awarded an NHL expansion team(and I would guess Houston would get the next one) why not let them play in the AHL for a year or two and sign FA and not let them get such good players in the expansion draft?
There won't be an expansion past 32. Much more likely is that the Coyotes will move from Arizona to Houston. In fact the thinking is that there will be a little realignment with the Seattle franchise in the Pacific and the Coyotes moving to the Central Division to balance things out and potentially to make the future relocation easier.
Old 10-11-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as new owners have the entry fee I don't see the NHL stopping with expansion while the NBA and NFL has no interest(surprised that the NHL beat the NBA to Seattle) and MLB has been talking expansion(but I would be more worried about caliber of play before going forward with expansion).
Old 10-11-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They expanded to even out the Eastern and Western Conferences. Once they hit 32, they will once again be even. There's no interest in expanding further, even though Quebec really wants a franchise back and has a stadium ready for the NHL. Looks like both they and the Houston market will have to get a relocation instead -- though I guess those two markets are potentially possible.

I found this article published in USA Today last year :

It's not hard to imagine a 34-team NHL after more league expansion

The NHL's commitment to considering Seattle as its 32nd team makes it tempting to wonder whether the NHL is en route to becoming a 34-team league.

But donít get carried away.

NHL owners havenít officially approved Seattle yet, though the city has been granted permission to submit the expansion application and launch a season-ticket drive. Itís the same process Las Vegas followed before becoming the Vegas Golden Knights.

This was a logical step for the NHL because there has long been a fascination with Seattleís potential. Plus, Seattle is a natural fit to join the Western Conference, thereby balancing the league again with 16 teams in each conference.

From there, itís not a significant leap to see the NHL embracing Houston as the 33rd team and then Quebec City becoming No. 34. Houston is the USAís fourth-largest city in terms of population. Adding Houston expands the NHLís television reach.

Quebec City, once the home of the Quebec Nordiques, wants back in the game after two decades away from the NHL. The Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche in 1995. Today, the city offers a new arena, a passionate fan base and a strong potential ownership group.

The fact that the Winnipeg Jets are thriving, owning the NHLís fifth-best record, shows smaller Canadian markets can find success. Like Quebec City, the Jets previously had an NHL franchise, watched it move to Arizona and then was welcomed back in the league by commissioner Gary Bettman in 2011.

If the NHL adds Seattle, then Houston could become the 17th team in the West and Quebec would be the 17th in the East. It works. Houston and Dallas could become rivals like Seattle and Vancouver will be rivals. The Battle of Quebec could reheat between Montreal and Quebec.

This all sounds like a logical progression, but the reality is far more complicated.

Start with the fact that the NHLís only commitment thus far is to look at Seattle. It has no expansion plan beyond that step.

Second, the NHL, at 31 teams, already has more teams than MLB (30) and the NBA (30). If Seattle joins, then the NHL would match the team count of the NFL.

The size of other leagues doesnít matter. The NHL geography is different because of the Canadian aspect of the sport. But the comparison to the other leagues serves as a reminder that a league needs to be careful about over-expansion.

Expansion means more teams splitting league revenues. The NHL is thriving economically, but it does have franchises with issues. The Arizona Coyotes need a new arena, and the Florida Panthers still havenít developed the fan base they need. The Carolina Hurricanesí fan support has declined, although there is evidence that fans will support the team if it is successful.

Itís clear the Hurricanes, with an agreement in place for new ownership, are not going anywhere. But work is ongoing in the other two cities, and thatís an argument against expanding beyond 32 teams. As dedicated as the NHL is to making it work in South Florida and Arizona, it makes sense to have soft landing locations available for relocations.

The other major issue for the potential Quebec franchise is the rising cost for expansion fees.

Quebec wasn't brought in with Vegas because the declining value of the Canadian dollar was undermining their bid. The fan support is a given in Quebec, but could the team generate enough revenue to financially justify spending that much on a team?

At that point, the price for an expansion franchise was $500 million. Just six years ago, the Jets reentered the NHL from Atlanta for $170 million, which included a $60 million relocation fee. Quebecís path to the NHL could be five times that amount.

Today, the NHL is asking for a $650 million expansion fee from the Seattle. Thatís $835 million Canadian.

The next time, if there is a next time, the NHL considers expansion, the price tag could be more than $1 billion Canadian. Unless the Canadian dollar rises in value, how does Quebec make that work financially?
Old 10-12-18, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Blues are on a winning streak!

Old 10-12-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maple Leaf radio announcers were mentioning that there were a lot of empty seats in Detroit last night.

They have a brand new arena and can't sell out against Toronto so maybe Detroit isn't HockeyTown anymore ,either that or all their fans are frontrunners and don't want too watch sub-par hockey.
Old 10-13-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight's Toronto vs Washington game will be on the NHL Network.

That's cool because my Wifi sucks Major Ass today and having streaming problems galore.That's what you get with Charter Spectrum.
Old 10-13-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Golden Knights finally win for the second time this season. Shut out the Fliers 1-0 in the final game of a brutal five game road trip. I was in full on panic mode already.
They are now already done for the season with Philly after losing to them on opening night.
Old 10-13-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted too watch that game(instead of college football) but the Wifi wasn't and still isn't working properly.
Old 10-14-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maple Leaf radio announcers were mentioning that there were a lot of empty seats in Detroit last night.

They have a brand new arena and can't sell out against Toronto so maybe Detroit isn't HockeyTown anymore ,either that or all their fans are frontrunners and don't want too watch sub-par hockey.
Attendance has been horrible since they opened the new arena - and probably a year or two at Joe Louis as well. You know it's bad when even with a large amount of Leaf fans follow the team there and the arena is still half empty.
Old 10-14-18, 09:58 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Blackhawks set a record last night, all 5 of their games so far have gone to OT.
Old 10-14-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally hate the Canucks (mainly ever since the Gillis era and all of the diving antics that were done by the Sedins and Burrows, etc.), but I gotta say that hit/bodyslam on Petterson was beyond ridiculous. The hit was fine, but by sticking his stick between Petterson's legs, Matheson was able to basically "can-opener" him and lift him in the air and then bodyslam him onto the ice. And Petterson was clearly disoriented as he struggled to get up and the ref had to help him.

Also, shame on the Canucks for not sending a message and challenging Matheson to a fight. Way to let every other team in the league know that they can freely run your best players whenever they want and not face consequences...That team remains an embarrassment...
Old 10-17-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least the Blues won the 58 minutes in the middle of the game!
Old 10-20-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Golden Knights finally back to .500! They look like they're beginning to put things together now.
Old 10-21-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just noticed that the Knights have signed 22 year old second-year forward Alex Tuch to a similar deal to the one they just signed 23 year old defenseman Shea Theodore to earlier this month : 7 years, a little under $5M AAR. Same idea - overpay a little now while you have the cap space and end up with a bargain contract once the player hits his prime. Tuch is a talented offensive player (he hasn't played yet this season due to injury but will be back soon). If they think Theodore and Tuch are the future of this club, then these deals are probably smart moves. Hope it pans out for them. I have to assume they will let William Karlsson walk after this season.
Interesting to note : Both Theodore and Tuch were players ineligible for the expansion draft (which was designed to protect a team's youngest prospects) but were traded by their respective teams to the Knights to avoid them taking other exposed players. A huge mistake unlikely to be repeated with the Seattle Expansion Draft.
Old 10-21-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am playing FHM5(licensed by the NHL) and I changed Vegas Golden Knights to Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Currently playing 2017-18 season.

Next season I am adding Chicago Wolves(AHL) and San Diego Gulls(AHL) to the NHL and I will allow them too keep ten current players.

Thinking of putting Golden Knights farm team in Reno for 2018-19 and put another team in Chicago.

Not sure of their ECHL affiliation?
Old 10-21-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AHL.TV is now available on Roku.
Old 10-22-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lightning had a record 33 shots on goal in the 2nd period last night against the Blackhawks.

Sharks have righted the ship a bit with two easy wins at home. Hopefully it'll continue on the road, but the first game is at Nashville so I'm not too optimistic.
Old 10-24-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Sharks have righted the ship a bit with two easy wins at home. Hopefully it'll continue on the road, but the first game is at Nashville so I'm not too optimistic.
Didn't look good through 2 periods, but the Sharks scored 3 unanswered in the 3rd to take the win

I generally don't put a lot of stock into +/-, but it is a little worrisome that Karlsson is last on the team.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.