Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Old 02-08-19, 05:22 PM
  #351  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,775
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

They changed the name of the disabled list so as to not offend disabled people.
Deadman31 is online now  
Old 02-08-19, 05:36 PM
  #352  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 7,985
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
They changed the name of the disabled list so as to not offend disabled people.
But what about people who are injured?
BearFan is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 06:28 PM
  #353  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,775
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Don’t worry they’re time is coming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...disabled-list/
Deadman31 is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 06:52 PM
  #354  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,115
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Prime Example: Baltimore Orioles

They finished in last place and I don't think they have added one free agent.
They're standing behind the whole "rebuilding" phase excuse. Not sure why that precludes them from signing someone of consequence, though.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:30 PM
  #355  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,183
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

https://deadline.com/2019/02/sinclai...rk-1202556210/

Cubs starting a new sports network in 2020. They will be leaving NBC Sports Chicago, WGN and WLS.
DJariya is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:34 PM
  #356  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,240
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://deadline.com/2019/02/sinclai...rk-1202556210/

Cubs starting a new sports network in 2020. They will be leaving NBC Sports Chicago, WGN and WLS.
I'm not from Chicago but WGN has been part of our cable Superstation package for as long as I remember along with TBS and the Boston one (I can't remember which one WKB... something) here in Canada. I have always associated Cubs games with this station especially their afternoon ones.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 03:18 PM
  #357  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://deadline.com/2019/02/sinclai...rk-1202556210/

Cubs starting a new sports network in 2020. They will be leaving NBC Sports Chicago, WGN and WLS.
Will it be as successful as the Dodgers channel(that no one seems to get in the LA area)?
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 03:22 PM
  #358  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
They're standing behind the whole "rebuilding" phase excuse. Not sure why that precludes them from signing someone of consequence, though.
How does the Baltimore media handle the Orioles off-season when they don't do God-Damn shit to improve the team?

I wish Felger and Mazz(Boston Sports Hub) would work on Baltimore sports radio because today they are complaining to the High Heaven's about the World Champ Boston Red Sox(shaky bullpen). Imagine the stuff they could complain about a team that refuses to get better players and is known for dumpster diving.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 06:09 PM
  #359  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,115
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
How does the Baltimore media handle the Orioles off-season when they don't do God-Damn shit to improve the team?

I wish Felger and Mazz(Boston Sports Hub) would work on Baltimore sports radio because today they are complaining to the High Heaven's about the World Champ Boston Red Sox(shaky bullpen). Imagine the stuff they could complain about a team that refuses to get better players and is known for dumpster diving.
Frankly, when it comes to the Orioles, the Baltimore media is a bigger joke than Chris Davis' 2018 season. Really the only person who seems to challenge them from time to time is Jim Palmer. All of the others, from the sports writers to the broadcasters, walk on egg shells or sugar coat everything. And don't get me started on the piece of shit known as MASN.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 06:18 PM
  #360  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,391
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I couldn't care less about the O's signing free agents this year. Not like they'll make any meaningful difference. I want to see who's playing for the O's in September and if any of the guys they got in trades last summer show promise. That's all what 2019 is about for them. They are at least 3 seasons away from doing anything meaningful. The Baltimore media knows this.

But in the big picture, MLB is going to have a really bad look if they go cheap as a whole and don't reduce ticket prices, which I know they won't. They are already extracting enormous sums for their RSN deals (passed on to all cable subscribers, whether baseball fans or not) and those are locked in. Their revenue increases are far outpacing salary increases over the last 15 years. I really will want to see their player salary costs as a percentage of revenue for 2019 and compare it to 2, 5, 10 years ago. I know fans usually take the owners side when it comes to labor relations, but if they start cutting costs when it comes to talent, fans are going to wonder....why aren't you cutting the costs for the fan if you're paying the players less?

And I already think MLB is in for a rude awakening in about 5-10 years when far less people are subscribing to cable, as they'll be in a far weaker position to extract big dollar RSN contracts. The RSNs are the life blood of MLB.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-13-19 at 06:33 PM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:24 PM
  #361  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Yeah Orioles are charging MLB ticket prices for Double A baseball.

From what I have heard the only thing management cares about is ticket sales for later season games that way they know that the money is already in the bank and their ship has sailed and they can field just about anykind of sub-par team.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:25 PM
  #362  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Frankly, when it comes to the Orioles, the Baltimore media is a bigger joke than Chris Davis' 2018 season. Really the only person who seems to challenge them from time to time is Jim Palmer. All of the others, from the sports writers to the broadcasters, walk on egg shells or sugar coat everything. And don't get me started on the piece of shit known as MASN.
From what I can remember MASN refused to have call-in show's for the Orioles because they wouldn't be able to dodge the tough questions.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:38 PM
  #363  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,155
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Just for fun, I wanted to show you guys that the Las Vegas AAA team has rebranded with their new stadium and As affiliation. No longer the 51s, they are now the Aviators Here is their... interesting new logo


Decker is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 12:31 AM
  #364  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I hope Las Vegas (PCL) improve their home game telecasts on MILBTV.

The one camera angle for the entire game is very bush league.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 12:41 AM
  #365  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,155
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I hope Las Vegas (PCL) improve their home game telecasts on MILBTV.

The one camera angle for the entire game is very bush league.
As I said they are opening a brand new stadium in Summerlin right next to the Golden Knights training facility. I'm sure the camera angles will be better now. That old ballpark was such a dump.
Decker is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 02:00 AM
  #366  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,674
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I couldn't care less about the O's signing free agents this year. Not like they'll make any meaningful difference. I want to see who's playing for the O's in September and if any of the guys they got in trades last summer show promise. That's all what 2019 is about for them. They are at least 3 seasons away from doing anything meaningful. The Baltimore media knows this.

But in the big picture, MLB is going to have a really bad look if they go cheap as a whole and don't reduce ticket prices, which I know they won't. They are already extracting enormous sums for their RSN deals (passed on to all cable subscribers, whether baseball fans or not) and those are locked in. Their revenue increases are far outpacing salary increases over the last 15 years. I really will want to see their player salary costs as a percentage of revenue for 2019 and compare it to 2, 5, 10 years ago. I know fans usually take the owners side when it comes to labor relations, but if they start cutting costs when it comes to talent, fans are going to wonder....why aren't you cutting the costs for the fan if you're paying the players less?

And I already think MLB is in for a rude awakening in about 5-10 years when far less people are subscribing to cable, as they'll be in a far weaker position to extract big dollar RSN contracts. The RSNs are the life blood of MLB.
That's correct about RSNs being critical to MLB's finances, which is why MLB right now is trying very hard to buy all the Fox RSNs from Disney's divesture. MLB would end up controlling about half of their league's RSNs if they win.

PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 08:00 AM
  #367  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,080
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

The Brewers' Wisconsin-resident presale (for home games w/ the Cubs) begins at 9am Central.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/tickets/...nsin-residents
B.A. is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 11:59 AM
  #368  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I heard talk of the Tigers/Red Wings starting their own channel which would leave the Pistons probably with the local Fox RSN but don't know if it could survive with just one major sports pro team.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 11:59 AM
  #369  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,202
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Indians used Trevor Bauer's social media to try to get lower arbitration salary: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/2869671002/
Deftones is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 12:21 PM
  #370  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 6,689
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Just for fun, I wanted to show you guys that the Las Vegas AAA team has rebranded with their new stadium and As affiliation. No longer the 51s, they are now the Aviators Here is their... interesting new logo
I liked the "Area 51s" much better.

We had the A's AAA team here in Sacto for years (the Rivercats). They almost always made the playoffs and often won. A few years ago they kicked out the A's and brought in the Giant's AAA team because the Giants had just won the world series and were more popular. Problem is, the Giants AAA team sucked. They lost constantly and now ticket prices are way up and attendance is way down (since people get tired of going and seeing the home town team lose over and over).
DaveNinja is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 01:00 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I wish the PCL and IL would have an interlocking schedule(at least a few games vs each other) because watching Charlotte vs Norfolk 30 times a year(or whatever they play each other) is starting to get old.

That was a problem in the AHL and the league started scheduling less interdivisional games.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 01:02 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,129
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
The Brewers' Wisconsin-resident presale (for home games w/ the Cubs) begins at 9am Central.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/tickets/...nsin-residents
So some enterprising Wisconsin residents have an opportunity to make some extra cash reselling tickets.

WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 01:02 PM
  #373  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,057
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I heard talk of the Tigers/Red Wings starting their own channel which would leave the Pistons probably with the local Fox RSN but don't know if it could survive with just one major sports pro team.
Remember PASS back in the day? I think that ran $20/month about 25 years ago... no way I'd pay that now.
Rob V is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 01:59 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I remember Larry Ostermann(who next to Paul Carey is one of the worst play-by play men ever).

PASS didn't last for long once FoxSports Detroit came on the scene.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-18-19, 04:30 PM
  #375  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,415
Re: MLB 2018 - 2019 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I would love to see a list of players the Orioles have acquired in the off-season over the last 50 years and compare it to the fucking lack of any player movement by the Orioles for this season.
dvd-4-life is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.