Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-14-18, 08:31 AM   #26
DVD Talk God

Re: 2018 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
One team in our league started Dalton and Green--45 points for them in the first half.
Yeah - a guy in the league I commish - had them stacked (helps that it's a Superflex, so starting Dalton was pretty much a no-brainer).
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-14-18, 12:08 PM   #27
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
It would be better than your show. I know you are bitter since the Raiders have only one playoff appearance since 2002.
Nah, i'm not really that bitter about the Raiders ineptitude. But you guys have the oddest complaints about teams and schedules.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-14-18, 12:31 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah - a guy in the league I commish - had them stacked (helps that it's a Superflex, so starting Dalton was pretty much a no-brainer).
The good news for their opponents is that they scored only five in the second half. Still, 50 on Thursday is a nice start.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-14-18, 05:32 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Seahawks sign insider trader/LB Mychal Kendricks. Rookie Shaqem Griffin (the one-handed player) started week 1 but had some issues.

Also, Joe Mixon expected to miss two weeks with some knee particle. I have him in a league with Devonta Freeman.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-14-18, 09:22 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Green Bay Packer season ticket wait list update: Moved up about 300 spots this year. At this pace not sure if I will get them within my lifetime. It also means my kids --- who were all put on the list as newborns -- will probably not get to the top of the list until they also qualify for AARP. Not joking. My only hope is that by the time names ahead of me come up after what will be a 50+ year wait a lot of them will not...ahem...respond to the call for whatever non-morbid reason. Crazy to think the current list is about 5X longer than when I signed up. Good luck with that.
I know they've had a crazy good run with Favre to Rodgers, but I wonder if you'll move up more spots when Rodgers hangs it up.
Old 09-14-18, 09:57 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I know they've had a crazy good run with Favre to Rodgers, but I wonder if you'll move up more spots when Rodgers hangs it up.
It's possible, but Packer season tickets have been like printing money for so long (sold out since 1960) that I think it would still take a long while for the idea that the team is going to stink for the foreseeable future to sink in and have an effect. The only time I moved up significantly in the past quarter century was during two stadium expansions which added around 20,000 seats. But now capacity is already over 80,000 and I can't fathom where they could physically add more, so no more big jumps.

What's crazy is for example after 18 years my daughter is still somewhere around #37,000. Since only 20,000 people purchase all of the season tickets, that means for her to get tickets every current season ticket holder would have to drop their seats, then every season ticket holder that replaced them would also have to drop their seats, and then she would get tickets. For people getting on the list today that same process would have to happen five more times.
Old 09-14-18, 11:27 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

True Story : Tonight I was driving home behind a burgundy Jaguar which had the personalized license plate PATSJAG. My first thought was "I bet dvd-4-life would really hate that license plate".
Old 09-15-18, 02:46 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Otters, you may be able to answer something for me because I was at the Thursday game and not watching on TV.

The Ravens were down 11 late, they had the ball, there was about a minute left in the game, and they had no timeouts. They needed two scores to remain in the game, which also meant they needed to recover an onside kick between those scores. It's already a long-shot, but you've got Justin Tucker as your kicker, who had previously drilled a 55-yard FG.

One the Ravens were to the 35 yard line, everybody I was sitting with assumed they would stop the clock, run Tucker onto the field for a FG attempt, and would then get on with the onside kick while preserving as much time as possible for their offense. Instead, Harbaugh had Flacco keep trying to score the TD, which ended up running out the clock. I mean, I know Flacco is Elite and all those checkdowns will pad his Elite stats, but.... that was kinda dumb.

Was there ANY discussion on TV about getting the FG first? It seemed to make perfect sense to everyone I was sitting with, and we just shrugged our shoulders when it became obvious that the Ravens weren't doing what they had to do to NOT lose.

PS: Ickey was at the game tonight. I didn't get a photo with the live version so this will have to do...
Old 09-15-18, 06:31 PM   #34
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Browns are releasing Josh Gordon.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 09-15-18, 06:49 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
The Ravens were down 11 late, they had the ball, there was about a minute left in the game, and they had no timeouts. They needed two scores to remain in the game, which also meant they needed to recover an onside kick between those scores. It's already a long-shot, but you've got Justin Tucker as your kicker, who had previously drilled a 55-yard FG.

One the Ravens were to the 35 yard line, everybody I was sitting with assumed they would stop the clock, run Tucker onto the field for a FG attempt, and would then get on with the onside kick while preserving as much time as possible for their offense. Instead, Harbaugh had Flacco keep trying to score the TD, which ended up running out the clock. I mean, I know Flacco is Elite and all those checkdowns will pad his Elite stats, but.... that was kinda dumb.

Was there ANY discussion on TV about getting the FG first? It seemed to make perfect sense to everyone I was sitting with, and we just shrugged our shoulders when it became obvious that the Ravens weren't doing what they had to do to NOT lose.
I didn't watch the game but was listening to sports radio the following day. Local as well as national brought up how poorly they managed that clock. They were trashing Flacco who was supposed to be an elite for checking down and for Harbaugh for not just kicking the FG and then try the onside kick.

Here in upstate NY Bill's country we are already looking forward to the hope and optimism of 2019. Josh Allen gets his first NFL start this weekend and if he goes down we're left with Peterman. All the local scribes were in agreement at the time. They all felt McCarron was a dud and was trailing the other two throughout camp and pre-season. Peterman won the competition. Unfortunately his play doesn't translate to real games. Benched in Los Angeles last year. Knocked out of the snowball game w/Indy when he led with his head. And now crapped the bed against the Ravens.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 236 DVD's, 393 BR titles, Samsung K8500 UHD player, 40 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 25 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 09-15-18, 06:58 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Is it just me or did this come out of nowhere this time?

Oh apparently he showed up to the facility today late and "not himself." Uh oh.
Old 09-15-18, 07:00 PM   #37
Premium Member

Quote:
Is it just me or did this come out of nowhere this time?
I saw one report that said he showed up late to the facility today. Gotta wonder if there was another failed drug test or something.
Old 09-15-18, 07:38 PM   #38
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some people are saying he showed up to team facilities high. Schefter said he hurt his hamstring at a promotional shoot...

Old 09-15-18, 07:48 PM   #39
DVD Talk God

Supposedly there are teams that have interest in trading for Gordon, but if there is a failed test, I assume that isn't happening.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-15-18, 08:22 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Florio just reported that it's more due to the injury during the non team related promotional shoot being a last straw, but who knows?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...otional-shoot/
Old 09-15-18, 09:18 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

If they are taking calls for him, he couldn't have failed a drug test.
Old 09-15-18, 09:37 PM   #42
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It looks like the new GM decided to cut bait on him. How do you injure your hamstring during a promotional shoot? I guess they were filming him running? I wonder if he'll end up with the Patriots. I have him in my two highest entry fee fantasy leagues.
Old 09-15-18, 09:55 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

The Pats did just cut another receiver.
Old 09-15-18, 11:03 PM   #44
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The Pats did just cut another receiver.
They cut Bennie Fowler who they just signed, because Marcus Cannon is questionable for tomorrow so they brought up an OL from PS.
Old 09-16-18, 07:05 AM   #45
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
What a waste of talent.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 09-16-18, 12:17 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't bother picking up Desean Jackson because of the concussion, and now he picks right up from last week.
Old 09-16-18, 12:22 PM   #47
DVD Talk God

Mahomes making it look easy.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 09-16-18, 12:22 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Mahomes threw a laser beam there. I think Kelce caught it in self-defense.
Old 09-16-18, 12:25 PM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It’s already 14-0 Chiefs, the stadium is pretty quiet.
Old 09-16-18, 12:36 PM   #50
DVD Talk God

HOU D can blow me. Down 0-14 to Blaine fucking Gabbart.
- Josh Hinkle