DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2018 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 1

Week 1 Broadcast map:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=1
Old 09-03-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you ready for some NFL football?

I'm still not very optimistic about the Bears season but the addition of Mack brings some star power back to the organization.
Old 09-03-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm excited for sure. It'll be a toss up for the AFC West between the Chiefs and Chargers.
Old 09-03-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL is always better than no NFL.
Old 09-03-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Start the damn games already!

Seahawks are going to be tough to watch this year, but that's the cycle of the NFL.
Old 09-03-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NFC East is always tough and I have no idea how this Cowboys offense will perform with all these new parts and injury concerns on the OL. Every team will stack the box to stop "we'll pound you with Zeke" so it will be up to Dak and a bunch of average WR's to prove they can throw it. The defense however, I expect to be excellent. Very good front 7 and two good corners. Safety and slot corner is an issue (Earl, come on down!) but the pass rush should make up for that. One of the youngest team in the league will experience growing pains so I see a record between 8-8 and 10-6.
Old 09-04-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is Bears @ Packers the SNF game?

A classic rivalry where Rodgers kicks their asses every year and win by 30 points.

Texans @ Patriots would have been a better choice.
Old 09-04-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm ready for an Eagles repeat! Or a Superbowl hangover season?
Old 09-04-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Why is Bears @ Packers the SNF game?

A classic rivalry where Rodgers kicks their asses every year and win by 30 points.

Texans @ Patriots would have been a better choice.
Between the two, i'd rather watch Bears and Packers
Old 09-04-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully Rivers does better against the Chiefs than he did last year.
Old 09-04-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope he doesn't since he is on my shitlist for stinking it up at Arrowhead last year and costing me a win in fantasy.

Chargers have not beaten the Chiefs since 2013 and I don't think they will win on Sunday.

Jaguars @ Giants could be a sneaky good game.
Old 09-05-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...k-from-dallas/

Holdout free safety Earl Thomas will report to Seahawks’ practice today, he indicated on an Instagram post Wednesday morning that followed a report from ESPN’s Josina Anderson that he would show up.

Thomas wrote on Instagram, accompanied by a picture of himself in the Seahawks’ weight room, that: “I worked my whole life for this….. I’ve never let me teammates, city or fans down as long as I’ve lived and don’t plan on starting this weekend. With that being said, the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten. Father Time may have an undefeated record but best believe I plan on taking him into triple overtime when it comes to my career.”

That Thomas wrote that the “disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten” means Thomas obviously is reporting rather unhappily. But he is apparently reporting nonetheless, the latest step in a story that began last year when he began making rumblings of wanting a new contract, and a story that likely has many more chapters to come.

The news of Thomas’ plans to show up to the VMAC today comes on the heels of another report from Adam Schefter of ESPN that the Seahawks were offered a second-round pick by Dallas “within the past week” for Thomas but turned it down. A source confirmed to the Times the news of the second-round offer and Seattle’s refusal to accept it.

Spoiler:
Thomas has not participated in any activities with the Seahawks since the end of the 2017 season in an attempt to get an extension on a four-year, $40 million contract that runs out after the 2018 season.

He has racked up fines of more than $1.5 million in terms of missed practice days and bonuses the team could recoup. Those are all at team discretion, though, and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that the Seahawks “did agree to wipe away almost all of his fines.”

This week, Thomas would simply begin losing game checks were he not to show up — $500,000 for each game missed. He also would have to report by midseason to avoid his contract tolling, meaning if he did not play this season he would still be under contract to Seattle in 2019. Also, as a vested veteran, Thomas’ base salary of $8.5 million for this season becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster week one.

He has racked up fines of more than $1.5 million in terms of missed practice days and bonuses the team could recoup. Those are all at team discretion, though, and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that the Seahawks “did agree to wipe away almost all of his fines.”

This week, Thomas would simply begin losing game checks were he not to show up — $500,000 for each game missed. He also would have to report by midseason to avoid his contract tolling, meaning if he did not play this season he would still be under contract to Seattle in 2019. Also, as a vested veteran, Thomas’ base salary of $8.5 million for this season becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster week one.

Seattle had been thought wanting at least a second-round pick all along with it thought Dallas had not offered more than a third.

Schefter’s report is the first evidence of Seattle being offered at least a second-rounder for Thomas, who will turn 30 next May 7.

A second-round pick would replace the second-rounder Seattle doesn’t have in 2019 as part of the deal to acquire left tackle Duane Brown from Houston last October. Seattle has also been thought wanting to at least get more for Thomas than a third-rounder because the Seahawks could theoretically get a third-round pick in 2020 as compensation if Thomas were to sign elsewhere as a free agent (that wouldn’t be guaranteed but Seattle had been thought setting that as at least a bar).

Seattle will have to make a corresponding roster move to account for Thomas, though they could also initially put him on an exempt list.

Thomas will apparently avoid becoming the first Seahawk since Kam Chancellor in 2015 to miss games due to a holdout. Chancellor missed the first two games before reporting. Like Chancellor, Thomas is reporting without the team having done anything with his contract.

Thomas had been known back in Seattle, taking a picture with a worker at Sea-Tac airport on Monday, who posted it on Twitter. A later report stated Thomas was in town solely to accompany his daughter to her first day of school.

But Seahawks coach Pete Carroll foreshadowed that maybe something was going on when he was asked Monday if there had been any additional contact with Thomas and he paused and said there was “nothing to report.” That was different from the simple “no” Carroll had offered several other times in recent weeks when asked about any new contact with Thomas.

Thomas had been working out primarily in his native Texas, and specifically in Austin, where he attended the University of Texas.
Old 09-05-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disrespect? At this point, I'm hoping they don't re-sign him. Better to go forward with the guys that are willing to come in for camp and work it out through the normal process like KJ Wright.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-05-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It amuses me that NFL players holdout all the time and refuse to play under the contract terms they agreed to, yet the team's are the ones that are disrespectful.
Old 09-05-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A 2nd? Cowboys fans woudn't have been happy. Some even cringe at a 3rd. Get him next year without wasting draft capital.

Edited: I stand corrected.

35% Just a third-round pick (439 votes)

42% I’d go up to a second-round pick (523 votes)

15% A second-rounder and some sort of "change" (191 votes)

Overall, pretty much this:

"3rd rounder isn't the issue. Value and length of contract is. Getting him via trade gives Dallas no leverage in contract negotiations."

Last edited by eXcentris; 09-05-18 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't see why they didn't take the second. Maybe they think they can still afford him long-term.
Old 09-05-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, I don't see why they didn't take the second. Maybe they think they can still afford him long-term.
I hope they are not thinking that. They should have taken the 2nd.

He does actually deserve to get paid as one of the best safeties in the game if he's healthy. But the the Seahawks can't spare the cap room if they are going to keep enough other players to stay near the top of the league.
Old 09-05-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I hope they are not thinking that. They should have taken the 2nd.

He does actually deserve to get paid as one of the best safeties in the game if he's healthy. But the the Seahawks can't spare the cap room if they are going to keep enough other players to stay near the top of the league.
I'm not optimistic that they're going to be near the top of the league this year. I'd love to keep Earl around as a lifetime Seahawk, but I think it'd make more sense to rebuild with the second-round pick. Maybe they figure he can mentor the young people for a couple years then they'll be ready to contend again while Russell is still playing well. That might work if they've shed enough salary and aren't going to bring in high-priced veterans.
Old 09-05-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

This Le'Veon Bell stuff is getting personal. His team mates are just crushing him in the media.
Old 09-05-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm not optimistic that they're going to be near the top of the league this year.
Unless they are decimated with injuries again this season I guess I'm far more optimistic than you. Even more so if Earl can add something other than dividing the locker room and being a "pay me" distraction. Even after all the injuries they only missed the playoffs by one game and they improved themselves at more than one position.
Old 09-05-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling the Steelers might be one of the most disappointing teams this season.

The Jags exposed their defense and that might be a preview of the 2018 season.
Old 09-05-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Unless they are decimated with injuries again this season I guess I'm far more optimistic than you. Even more so if Earl can add something other than dividing the locker room and being a "pay me" distraction. Even after all the injuries they only missed the playoffs by one game and they improved themselves at more than one position.
I would love for you to be right. I just see a lot of youngsters or no-names in place of the guys who left, but I see your point in that a lot of them last year were hurt or just not that good. They look far behind the loaded Rams, but might still be ahead of the Niners depending on Garrapalo etc.
Old 09-05-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's time for the NFL too do some drastic realignment and eliminate the divisions and just play 2 conferences. A 16 game schedule would be easy too do . Each team plays each other once in their own conference and play's one game vs the other conference 1 vs 1; 2vs 2;etc.

Too make the schedule fair for everyone:Week 8 all AFC teams get a bye while Week 9 all the NFC teams likewise with a bye.

I think the divisional line-ups have become stale and maybe one reason why tv ratings are in the toilet.

I would think the NFL would take steps too improve tv ratings but like other sports they are slow too change but usually faster .
Old 09-05-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RE: Ratings

Saw an article today that mentioned that Fantasy Football participation peaked in 2015, and the ratings slide has followed. That's interesting. I'd kinda been BLAMING FF for the drop in ratings (why watch ONE game when you're only interested in who's scoring in ALL the games? Thus, NFL RedZone).

I don't think the NFL needs to screw around with divisions and conferences, in search of ratings, when league revenue is at an all time high. If the article I mentioned above is accurate, then it's possible that the league had unsustainable popularity a few years ago, and the current "low ratings" (prime time games are still the highest rated telecasts of the week) is just a correction.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.