Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bob Costas to part ways with NBC

Old 08-28-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bob Costas to part ways with NBC

https://nypost.com/2018/08/28/bob-co...om-each-other/

In the history of sportscasting, no broadcaster has probably been more associated with one network than Bob Costas and NBC.

Now, after nearly four decades in which Costas has been the lead announcer on Olympics, World Series, Super Bowls and late-night talk shows, Costas and NBC are in discussions to end the relationship, sources have told The Post.

If a deal can be struck, it would mean finishing Costas’ current multi-million contract three years early as it is goes through 2021, according to a source. The contract calls for exclusivity for NBC, besides the work Costas does for MLB Network.

When contacted, Costas initially declined comment on the talks, saying he couldn’t confirm or deny the discussions. He then relented and went on to say that there were no hard feelings on either side, but with his decision to stop doing the Olympics and with his antipathy toward football, it may be time for a change.

Costas wants to pursue a journalism show that would feature interviews, commentaries and a critical look at the world of sports and perhaps other topics. NBC rarely utilizes Costas on-air after he stepped away from his last major roles on the Olympics and the NFL.

“Sometimes you get to a point where it is not a fit anymore,” Costas said. “It doesn’t mean that anyone is angry or upset.”

NBC declined comment.

Both sides are willing to talk about the terms that could lead to a buyout.

As it stands now, NBC is paying Costas seven figures per year in a “Tom Brokaw-like” emeritus role to pitch in when needed. In the last couple of years, he has only been on the air sparingly for perspectives on news events like the deaths of Muhammad Ali and colleague Dick Enberg, as well as a few minutes during the Triple Crown races.

While Costas does not have a prominent on-air role with the network, he is still associated closely with NBC because of their longtime history and his legendary status.

Costas has always stood out among sports network anchors for his willingness to speak strongly on the issues, even on the events NBC is covering. Costas ended up not hosting last February’s Super Bowl after saying football “destroys people’s brains.”

With NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” contract running through the 2022 season, Costas’ commentaries — even off NBC’s air — could be more of a liability than an asset in retaining its NFL package. The two sides could agree to allow Costas to do other projects, while remaining a part of NBC, but that does not seem to make sense for either.

Costas’ agent, Sandy Montag, and NBC executives already have exchanged ideas and have meetings planned in the near future for what could lead to a potential buyout. Either way, Costas will continue his work with MLB Network.

Both sides have some leverage in the negotiations. Costas, 66, is owed a good deal of money and could simply collect checks, if he so pleased, while NBC could prevent Costas from finishing off his career in the fashion he prefers.

Costas declined to say where a possible new show could be housed. Platforms like HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon and others are often in play for the type of program Costas is trying to create.

“It is gratifying that there are a number of places that are anxious to do the sort of thing that I was seldom able to do over the last several years at NBC,” Costas said.

Costas added he would like to do “thoughtful discussions, reasonable commentaries and essays.” These have all been hallmarks of his time with NBC and HBO when he was the preeminent sportscaster of his prime.

There was a time when Costas thought he may be a one-broadcast-network guy, but that seldom, if ever, happens now in any entertainment or news genre. Still, Costas is probably more closely associated with NBC than Howard Cosell, Jim McKay and Keith Jackson were with ABC or Chris Berman with ESPN or Joe Buck is with Fox.

But as accomplished as all of these sportscasters were — or are, in the case of Buck — none have had the range of Costas, hosting the Olympics and the Super Bowl, calling the play-by-play of the World Series and having a late-night talk show.

Since 1979, Costas did it all at NBC. Soon, that relationship will likely end.

I haven't seen him on the air since he quit doing Sunday Night Football.

He's 66 now. I don't blame him for wanting to move on. Everyone comes to a point in their life professionally where they want/feel the need to do something else. Sounds like he wants to do something similar to Bryant Gumbel.
Old 08-28-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Bob Costas to part ways with NBC

I'm just really surprised they aren't using him at all despite paying him all that money. I guess he can decline what he wants, but I would love to see him doing an NBA game again.
Old 08-28-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

With NBC not doing much of anything sports related lately, would love to see Costas elsewhere.
Old 08-28-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I crazy, or didn't he have a Sports talk/interview style show several years back on HBO?
Old 08-28-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have always liked Costas cause he was always real passionate towards the sports he covered (especially baseball). I know he can get dramatic sometimes with his baseball stories, but he was always a good host. I still enjoy him calling games on MLB Network with Jim Kaat as it's a real old school telecast for purists like me.

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Am I crazy, or didn't he have a Sports talk/interview style show several years back on HBO?
His HBO show in the early 00's was the infamous interview with Vince McMahon when Vince almost lost it on him (or he was just acting like he does in Wresting?)

Old 08-28-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

He basically wasn't doing anything for NBC anyhow.

I never really cared for him on anything outside of baseball.
Old 08-28-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved those bits he did during SNF. But sadly for Bob, unless he was to go back to being a part of pre/post game shows, or be part of live broadcasts, I'm not sure there is anything really worth doing anymore.

My favorite part of his career was he was covering the NBA. Would love to see him join the ABC or TNT NBA broadcasts, but it doesn't seem like he wants to do that kind of thing anymore.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-28-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He still appears on MLB Network with some regularity. Baseball is his first love and Costas was just inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

This might actually get us Costas calling the World Series again.
Old 08-28-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They need to start up a new basketball league and bring back the Spirits of St. Louis and let Costas do the play by play.
Old 08-28-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Unfortunately, FoxSports just signed Joe Buck to an extension so we're stuck with that pompous ass on the World Series, Every National NFC game, and even the US Open now. I would love to see Costas, Al Michaels or Vin Scully call one more World Series game, but it won't happen as long as FoxSports has the MLB rights.
Old 08-28-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Netflix just cancelled like 3 talk shows in the last year. I don't think they're the right fit for Costas doing some kind of sports essay/discussion show if that's what he wants to do.

And not sure he fits with HBO since they already have Bryant Gumbel doing his show once per month.

Maybe Showtime would be a fit for him? Showtime sports isn't really known for anything outside of Inside the NFL and boxing.
Old 08-28-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about the new football league(s)?

I doubt the XFL gets off the ground(because the lack any news concerning the league).
Old 08-28-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
What about the new football league(s)?

I doubt the XFL gets off the ground(because the lack any news concerning the league).
Outside of baseball, he doesn't want to do live sports anymore from the sounds of things.

He quit doing NFL pre and post game shows, why the hell would he want to work on league with 2nd-3rd tier no-name players that could go bankrupt in a year?
Old 08-28-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
He still appears on MLB Network with some regularity. Baseball is his first love and Costas was just inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Boggles the mind that he won the Frick award, he simply isn't that great of a baseball announcer and he doesn't have the body of work to justify it.
Old 08-29-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Boggles the mind that he won the Frick award, he simply isn't that great of a baseball announcer and he doesn't have the body of work to justify it.
He's just a beloved national broadcaster, though I agree he's done less actual game calling than virtually all the broadcasters in the Hall. In a fair world he would have been calling playoff baseball games the past couple of decades, but Fox's iron grip on the World Series has beget us Joe Buck's reign of terror.

Check out Costas' eulogy for Mickey Mantle, it's amazing.
Old 08-29-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ABC needs to grap Costas ASAP for their NBA coverage, which currently sucks. Beadle/Rose/Billups are horrible.
Old 08-29-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get the hate for Costas after reading all the yahoo comments though most of them are probably from convervatives who don't like his political views.

Sucks since I grew up with him. Back in the early 90's he was doing everything and NBC had the NFL, NBA, Olympics, and the MLB Playoffs.

His intros or montages before big events will be missed.

I wish he would do his weekly radio show that would air on weekends. I want to hear him argue with Russell Simmons again lol.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 08-29-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt he would do anything football related since he is disillusioned with the sport and the handling of the CTE issue.

He quit football after 1992 because he was not comfortable with the violence and Jim Lampley and Greg Gumbel took over but came back when NBC got the SNF package.

I hope Al Michaels stays unless NBC puts Tirico in his seat and or have a Conan/Leno situation with the SNF booth where they force or push Michaels out too early.
Old 08-29-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I like Costas on the MLB Network games. Reminds me of the old time broadcasters. I'm sure it's probably not a bad thing for him. All that travel/work you have to put in for those events have to be tough. Probably wants to sit back, enjoy his life and call some occasional baseball games.
Old 08-30-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
ABC needs to grap Costas ASAP for their NBA coverage, which currently sucks. Beadle/Rose/Billups are horrible.
Yes, yes, yes. Costas would be a massive improvement for the NBA.
Old 08-30-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Again I think it sounds like he's over doing live sports on a regular basis. He's going to do his sports discussion show whenever he gets it and maybe call 1-2 baseball games a month. The guy is 66 now and has worked in the business for 40 plus years, he's entitled to take it easy at this stage of his life.
Old 08-30-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True but older guys like Musberger, Dick Stockton, and Al Michaels are still doing it and Costas had smaller workloads compared to those guys.
Old 01-17-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is now offical now

The end of an era

He will be missed. If he does get a talk show again I will watch it

Bob Costas’ legendary career at NBC is now officially over.

“It’s all settled quietly and happily for all concerned,” Costas told The Post.Costas, 66, will continue on the MLB Network, where he is set to be a big part of the Baseball Hall of Fame inductee announcement in the next week. He also will call about 20 games on play-by-play for MLBN. Plus, he is exploring doing a sports/news interview-style show. “If I do anything else, it will be a hybrid of my HBO show and ‘Later,’” Costas said.

The Post reported in late August that NBC and Costas were discussing how to settle the final three years on his multimillion-dollar contract. Costas had triggered a so-called “Brokaw clause” in 2012, which made him the emeritus of NBC Sports

In recent years, the two sides struggled to find roles that Costas felt passionate about and that fit into NBC’s current properties. Baseball has always been Costas’ No. 1 sport, while his feelings for the NFL have waned.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/bob-co...lly-broken-up/
Old 01-17-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rumors indicate he may have a weekly talk show over on MLB Network.
Old 01-17-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would suck if he only gets baseball people on that show

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.