DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-09-18, 10:08 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why no new pro baseball,basketball,hockey or soccer Leagues?

As far as baseball is concerned only one league since 1914-15 (Federal League) attempted to compete against MLB.

Back in 1960 there was a proposed Continental League(never got off the ground) but MLB starting hearing footsteps and fast tracked 4 expansion teams.

As many problems that face MLB today(slow paced games,too many non-competitive teams,etc), I would figure that at least someone would start a baseball league that was a step below MLB and a step above MILB.

Interest in pro basketball seems at an all-time high and there are plenty of major cities with no team:
Baltimore
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Montreal
Kansas City
Anaheim
Cincinnati
Tampa
Nashville
Columbus.OH
Buffalo
San Diego
San Jose
Austin,TX
Seattle
San Francisco(at least until the Warriors move)

Same goes for hockey:
Quebec City
Seattle
San Diego
Sacramento
Portland
Salt Lake City
Milwaukee
Houston
San Antonio
Baltimore
Oakland/San Francisco
Orlando

As far as soccer is concerned there is the USL (which see's a yearly expansion) but still is considered minor league. The NASL went belly up when it couldn't be promoted to Division 2. Stll plenty of cities without a team and many are on a rumored MLS expansion list.

In every case it comes down too money but look at all the sports channels that have very little as far as live watchable programming . Then sports would fill the bill but someone has too come forward too start up Leagues(for the most part fail).
Old 08-09-18, 10:23 AM   #2
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Why no new pro baseball,basketball,hockey or soccer Leagues?

As far as basketball goes, in addition to Big 3, there was also The Basketball Tournament recently as well.

But as with other attempts at professional sports leagues, with the NFL/NBA/MLB being the cream of the crop, it's less interesting watching people who can't make it and have lesser talent play.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-09-18, 10:28 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

XFL is apparently coming back, so there's that.
Old 08-09-18, 10:35 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
XFL is apparently coming back, so there's that.
I don't know about the XFL. There doesn't seem much as far as announcing teams,etc so I wouldn't hold my breath on that league.

However, Alliance of American Football has been signing players and has 8 teams and each team as a head coach.
Old 08-09-18, 10:37 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
As far as basketball goes, in addition to Big 3, there was also The Basketball Tournament recently as well.

But as with other attempts at professional sports leagues, with the NFL/NBA/MLB being the cream of the crop, it's less interesting watching people who can't make it and have lesser talent play.
Yeah but look at college sports.

Most of the athletes never make it the pros and there is a lot of interest and tv ratings are through the roof.
Old 08-09-18, 10:39 AM   #6
DVD Talk Godfather

You mean this basketball league doesn't count?

https://jbaleague.com/

Old 08-09-18, 11:59 AM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Yeah but look at college sports.

Most of the athletes never make it the pros and there is a lot of interest and tv ratings are through the roof.
College has the benefit of built in fan attachment from a large rotating pool of students, alumni, and family as well as small towns that rely heavily on those schools.

I think it would be significantly harder for an attempt at a new league to grow a fanbase, especially in sports where people probably have an existing attachment to another team already.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-09-18, 03:31 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

I think a pro football league focused only on the South and Texas could have worked 20 years ago. There was an opportunity back then before the NFL's Southern expansion teams had built up fanbases. I think interest in pro football is waning across the country, so the chance a rival league could form is remote unless you wanted to throw billions at the problem.

MLB is definitely expanding in the next 5 years. Manfred has been beating that drum hard to the media. I would prefer only two expansion teams, but I keep hearing MLB wants as many as 34 teams.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-09-18, 03:41 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

The idea of additional pro leagues lacks both supply and demand.

The current leagues take up at least 6 months each and they've managed to take up even more time with the way they've glorified drafts and free agency. There's no time for real competition.

There's only room for niche off-shoots like Arena Football and Big 3 basketball - but of course the talent pool isn't big enough to get top level talent into those leagues.
Old 08-11-18, 10:59 PM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Baseball and Hockey are very parioachal/niche sports,if a 2nd baseball league was ever going to happen it would have had to happen 30-40 years ago when baseball was more popular and their will still new markets to open. And basketball is very star driven,outside of The Knicks,Lakers,76ers or Celtic's no team's fan are rabid enough to support the team when they are garbage,so I am really not sure how you could get people in non NBA market's to care about a subpar product when mid and small nba market fanbases stop paying attention when their team is bad and or lack all star level talent.