Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Sport you're a fan of, but you don't care for the Pro or collegiate counterpart

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-21-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I l know I a few here have talked about this in the past.

What's a sport that you like and are a fan of, but you don't care for or follow either the professional or collegiate counterpart.

and why?

Like basketball. I know some here love NCAA hoops, but hate the NBA. I know some love the NBA, but don't care for NCAA hoops.

Like for me, I follow the NFL, but I'm not into NCAA Football. Too many teams and players. And too many fucking bowl games.

I like the NBA and moderately pay attention to NCAA hoops for my job. But, I can't say I'm into it.
Old 07-21-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Sport you're a fan of, but you don't care for the Pro or collegiate counterpart

Football - both. Though I'm not a fan of the college semis starting on a work night. I love college football regular season. The NFL keeps their playoff games at sane hours.

Basketball - college. Duh, The best of all for me all around.

NBA - sure I'll watch the inevitable Final. Don't see how people get wrapped up in it from Nov-Apr. So overexposed. But that's ESPN and TBS-Barkley who basically knows nothing about basketball from what I can tell re: his March commentary.

MLB - don't care once the O's are done, which was April. Yanks/Sox yawn.

NHL - love the playoffs. Don't watch the regular season but watch most of the playoffs (at least the Eastern side) Zero interest in regular season.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-21-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 03:05 PM

Re: Sport you're a fan of, but you don't care for the Pro or collegiate counterpart

American Football: College only. I can watch NFL, and do occasionally, but not engaging to me.

Basketball:. NBA. I cannot watch NCAA basketball.

Futbol: can't watch MLS.
Old 07-21-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Football, both college and pro pretty much even. Factoring in Bowl games, maybe a slight edge to college.

Basketball, really neither at this point. I will watch the Tourney, so college I guess.

Hockey, mostly NHL, I watch some college, but not much

Baseball, mostly MLB, will watch some college, but not much
Old 07-21-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a diehard Pro Sports fan (MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL), but don't watch any of their College Sports anymore.

NCAA Basketball: Used to love College Basketball as a kid in the 80's/90's, but once players started coming out after one year (or going straight to the NBA) is when I stopped watching. It seems that College Basketball is all about March Madness upsets now then the quality of the game (because you never get 4 year elite players anymore), and that just doesn't interest me.

NCAA Football: I also used to watch College Football every Saturday, but I feel it started to change when teams like Penn State and Miami gave up their independence and joined a Confererence (I'm from the Northeast so I wasn't attached to a conference as I loved that Penn State would have Miami and Notre Dame on their schedule every year back in the 80's). I also didn't like when certain elite teams started to avoid other elite teams from other conferences (because it would hurt their rankings), so the first few weeks are just bad matchups of creampuffs.
Old 07-21-18, 04:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

The only sport where there is a growing disparity for me is basketball. Love the game, played in high school, and used to love college and pro. But the whole super team thing had killed the pro game for me. I’ll watch my favorite teams a few times a year, maybe go to one game every couple years, and watch the playoffs as background noise, but I’m probably abandoning even that level of interest now.
Old 07-21-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pay attention to the NFL, only vaguely pay attention to college.

Huge NBA fan, only pay attention to March Madness.
Old 07-21-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I am a diehard Pro Sports fan (MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL), but don't watch any of their College Sports anymore.

NCAA Basketball: Used to love College Basketball as a kid in the 80's/90's, but once players started coming out after one year (or going straight to the NBA) is when I stopped watching. It seems that College Basketball is all about March Madness upsets now then the quality of the game (because you never get 4 year elite players anymore), and that just doesn't interest me.
That is also how I feel about college basketball. Once the top players wouldn't stay past their sophomore years, the sport became unwatchable to me. I barely even watch the NCAA tourney these days.
Old 07-21-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Baseball - love love love the MLB, but don't care for college baseball (for example, the College World Series)

Football - moderate NFL fan (I don't get crazy on Sundays, but I'll watch my team - 49ers). Don't watch college football at all.
Old 07-21-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love NCAA football, don't really care about the NFL. The Lions being absolutely pathetic for most of my life probably has a lot to do with that. I pretty much gave up on the Lions at the same time that Barry Sanders did.

The only time I watch any basketball is during the NCAA tournament.

Will follow MLB when the Tigers are good, but don't watch any baseball otherwise.

Don't care about Hockey or Soccer.
Old 07-21-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

College basketball has its fun moments that I enjoy watching, but I don't care for the NBA at all. Also I don't really care so much for college football anymore compared to the NFL.
Old 07-21-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Huge professional basketball fan (NBA & WNBA) but find college basketball unwatchable and pretty much a different sport. March Madness included.
Old 07-21-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't watch any regular season college sports.
Just never got into it or knew the players. And don't have a favorite team to root for.
I'll occasionally watch the college football & basketball finals. Hockey if I see it's on. The NCAA basketball final four/championship is some of my favorite looking HD though.

I watch professional, NFL, MLB, NHL a lot, but not all the time. Mostly NFL every week, Eagles and national games. I usually only watch NBA if the Sixers are in the playoffs.
Old 07-21-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Huge professional basketball fan (NBA & WNBA) but find college basketball unwatchable and pretty much a different sport. March Madness included.
Wow, that blows my mind. If nothing else, I'd imagine an NBA fan would like to watch come Tourney time to see who will be the next big stars out of college. I don't see how any NBA fan wouldn't enjoy watching, for example, the 2015 Kentucky Wildcats as they won 38 in a row with Devin Booker, Willie Cauley-Stein, Tyler Ulis and KAT destroying everybody. You can see the future of the game right there.

On the other hand, I'm becoming disenchanted with College Football. There is so much less QB skill than there used to be. There are still the Andrew Lucks, RG3s, Marcus Mariotas, Cam Newtons and Jameis Winstons every few years to get some interest in the game, but as often as not they're eventually beaten by some inelegant and boring Alabama team that dominates the lines by recruiting all the biggest guys. It's a system that works, but it doesn't lend itself to great TV. Plus (and I suppose this is probably true for College Basketball as well) the same teams keep recruiting the best players so there's little turnover at the top and teams that are bad rarely become good. There's no lottery to even things out and if you root for a bad team (or several bad teams like Kansas, Hawaii and UNLV for example ), you're stuck year after year watching bad teams with no realistic hope for turn-around besides a lucky magical season out of nowhere -- after which your coach is likely to leave for a bigger school instead of building your program.
Old 07-21-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love baseball as a sport, but I HATE MLB.

I like the NBA, but love College Basketball.

I like the NFL, but love College Football.
Old 07-21-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I love baseball as a sport, but I HATE MLB.
Wow. So what do you watch? College? Minor League? Little league?
Old 07-21-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

College Football all the way for me, bar none. College basketball is my least favorite (but i still like it) and the NBA and NFL sandwiched between those two.
Old 07-21-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(major US sports leagues)

I enjoy NCAA basketball but have zero interest whatsoever in the NBA. I was given Timberwolves season tickets a couple years ago and wasn't remotely tempted to go to a single game. I haven't watched even a second's worth of the NBA in maybe three decades unless by accident.

Football is far and away my favorite sport, and I enjoy NCAA football and the NFL pretty evenly. But if I could only pick one I'd go NFL.

Baseball is unwatchable. Oddly enough it is the sport I was personally best at, and coming out of high school I could have gone into the minors but instead I elected to go to college and walk on in football. Even as a participant I would find myself searching for ways to kill the boredom, and that was nothing compared to watching MLB. The last time I intentionally watched an inning of MLB was some time before the 1994 strike, and probably the 1980s.

I will watch NCAA hockey now and then. I have no interest in following the NHL and therefore no rooting interest in any teams or players. But I have been to a couple NHL games with friends and hockey is interesting in person even if you don't care who is playing.
Old 07-21-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pro only
Old 07-22-18, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow. So what do you watch? College? Minor League? Little league?
Not much at all, unfortunately. College baseball isn't very exciting, so I've never gotten into that. I do catch the occasional game for the Lake Elsinore Storm, but that's about it anymore.

I used to watch a lot of MLB from the late 70's through the early 2000's, but not much over the last 10-12 years.
Old 07-22-18, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Professional Wrestling. NXT, ROH NJPW. Don't follow amateur wrestling. Not enough run ins or heel turns.

Although I will say I enjoy watching highlights of Alexander Karelin as he is without question the greatest and most dominant athlete who ever lived.
Old 07-22-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the NBA but only watch NCAA Basketball during March Madness.
Old 07-22-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Although I will say I enjoy watching highlights of Alexander Karelin as he is without question the greatest and most dominant athlete who ever lived.
Wrong, Secretariat smokes Karelin.
Old 07-22-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Wrong, Secretariat smokes Karelin.
Definitely used fewer PEDs.
Old 07-22-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL but don't care about college football.

I simply can't cheer college kids.
I also don't trust the legitimacy of the games. Huge money generated from gambling + players who have no shot at the pros = increased odds of paying those players to take dives.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.