Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Old 08-01-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Mario Giunta

@MarioGiunta

⚽️�� Done Deal: Gonzalo Higuain and Mattia Caldara to AC Milan, Leonardo Bonucci to Juventus! ��⚫️⚪️ #transfers

10:09 AM - Aug 1, 2018
Old 08-06-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

From Thursday, August 9 to Sunday, August 12, the entire NBC Sports crew will be together on-location in England. The coverage will move across three days from four different grounds throughout Britain, featuring on-site studios for pre-match, halftime and post-game shows as well as pitch-side locations just a few feet from the playing field.

Coverage begins on Thursday, August 9, with a special three-hour Premier League Live: Transfer Deadline Day show live from Old Trafford at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN. The program will surround the end of the summer transfer window, which closes at Noon ET that Thursday, as the team analyzes all 20 clubs transfer activity. In addition, the program will preview the 2018-19 season with the entire team, as Rebecca Lowe hosts the program, joined by Arlo White, Lee Dixon, Robbie Earle, Graeme Le Saux, Kyle Martino and Robbie Mustoe.

Arlo White will call the matches, and make pre-match and post-match appearances from NBCs pitch-side locations. Earle, Martino and Mustoe will each call a match with White. They will join NBCs UK-based team of Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux for 21 hours of live on-site Premier League coverage across four days.
http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/07/3...live-location/
Old 08-07-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-07-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bill hofheimer @bhofheimer_espn -
ESPN & ESPN+ have a new multi-year U.S. rights agreement for Italian Football.
More than 340 @SerieA_TIM matches will air on ESPN+, incl Ronaldo's debut w/ @juventusfc on Aug 18.

Starting this month, ESPN+ will carry an average of nine matches LIVE each week from August through May, while ESPN networks will televise a Serie A TIM Match of the Week - close to 40 matches per season. Most telecasts will air on ESPN and ESPN2, and the Match of the Week will also be available in Spanish on ESPN Deportes.

Coverage of Serie A TIM will also feature year-round news and highlights content across ESPN platforms. Additionally, ESPN+ will exclusively feature one-hour season preview and review programs, a weekly preview and highlight shows and a Serie A TIM goals of the week program.

Coverage of the 2018-2019 Serie A TIM season will begin Saturday, August 18, with the league’s opening match, ChievoVerona vs. Juventus, airing on ESPN+ (12:00 pm ET). Five-time Ballon d’Or Award winner Cristiano Ronaldo, will make his league debut for Juventus, winners of seven straight Serie A TIM titles. Before joining the club in July, Ronaldo scored a record 450 goals in 438 games in nine seasons with Spain’s Real Madrid, leading the club to four UEFA Champions League titles. His move to Juventus is considered one of the most impactful transfers in international soccer.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...lian-football/

Last edited by LaxBandit; 08-07-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 08:03 PM

More absolutely terrible news.
Old 08-07-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
More absolutely terrible news.
you're not ready for more Gab Marcotti?
Old 08-08-18, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
you're not ready for more Gab Marcotti?
It really is everything. One of the big things for me is on demand replays. It is fine not having them if they would air all the main matches, allowing me to record and watch at my leisure, but since they are going to essentially air one match a week, (I am sure either a Juve or Milan match), I won't have that option. Now, if they have on-demand replays available, I am okay. Other than having to subscribe to yet another streaming service. If this is the setup, we will never get a chance to see a side like Sarri's Empoli. Hell, maybe not even Sarri's Napoli. That is a travesty.

Secondly, their announcers generally blow. Setting aside the expected England/Premier league bias that dominates football in our media, their on-air talent simply don't know the continental game well enough. Say what you will about the Bein guys, (yes, we are talking about you Ray), but at least you know they regularly watch the leagues and matches they cover, and have for years. Not true with the ESPN guys. Funny, the one exception probably is Marcotti.

The other thing that both Fox and BEIN would regularly do is use the league's own English announcers. The BuLi English speaking crew might be the best in the world. I also really like a couple of the La Liga guys. The Serie A TIM aren't as good, but still miles ahead of the ESPN and Fox announcers. In another rambling side note, I used to really enjoy the SKY BuLi teams, both English and German speaking.

Fox really was the gold standard, between the Fox Soccer Match Pass app and the FoxSoccer channel. I fear those days are gone forever though. Perhaps the Premeira Liga will go down in price, as it was ridiculously high last season.

Final note: I realise and accept that the above is whining, and the amount available to watch in the US was unthinkable just five or so years ago, and that more is legally available here than anywhere else. I was spoiled and I am entitled dammit.
Old 08-09-18, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
The other thing that both Fox and BEIN would regularly do is use the league's own English announcers. The BuLi English speaking crew might be the best in the world. I also really like a couple of the La Liga guys. The Serie A TIM aren't as good, but still miles ahead of the ESPN and Fox announcers. In another rambling side note, I used to really enjoy the SKY BuLi teams, both English and German speaking.
The Bundesliga crew is my favorite, too.
Old 08-09-18, 06:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

GETIN !! FOOTBALLS BACK!

Let's go Reds
Old 08-10-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously - Tottenham didn't sign anyone?!?

Has that ever happened before during the silly season?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/team/tran...tenham-hotspur
Old 08-10-18, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Seriously - Tottenham didn't sign anyone?!?

Has that ever happened before during the silly season?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/team/tran...tenham-hotspur

No, at least not in the history of the Premier League.
Old 08-12-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What the heck was Klopp second goal celebration?
Old 08-12-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Ha.

Fun game to watch. Glad the season is finally underway.

Nice touch by Keita on his hockey assist for the first goal.
Old 08-12-18, 12:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Hell yeah
Old 08-12-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
That was odd, even for Klopp

Great game to get us off and running!
Old 08-19-18, 12:04 PM

José Mourinho looks pissed.
Old 08-19-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pbrstreetgang View Post
José Mourinho looks pissed.
In short, Manchester United--unless they really turn it around in a month or so--are DONE.
Old 08-20-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was not an easy victory.
Old 08-20-18, 09:30 PM

Some random rambling thoughts that nobody likely cares about now that we are a week or two into the new season.

I still have a couple of matches to watch, including Inter's loss, but I just finished the best of the early bunch in Valencia-Atletico. Skill on display all over the pitch, and both sides decided to play, toe to toe, the entire time. Both team firmly entrenched in any top ten "power ranking" lists, with Atletico occupying my number 2 spot. Match ended 1-1, which was the just result. Not sure Valencia has the depth to compete on all fronts, especially as they wait for Guedes, but there starters are all very good. Atleti on the other hand have the depth, quality, and coaching to compete everywhere. Consider them the most serious challenger to Barca, in La Liga and the CL, ahead of madrid. Lemar is very good, and the steal of the window, perhaps literally, is Gelson Martins. (The whole Sporting issue).

Speaking of other clubs in the top ten, or on the border, that have been impressive is Chelsea, unfortunately. It really isn't that surprising, given Sarri's track record, but maybe a little surprising how quickly the side has adopted. City is still the prohibitive favourite, but I think Chelsea is going to strongly battle Liverpool for the second spot. Kante's more attacking role will suit him, and the side, very well. It is still Chelsea, but they will at least be viewable, if not fun, to watch this season. With the top three all but already done and dusted, who gets 4th?

At the other end of the spectrum, Juventus greatly underwhelmed. I think we could be seeing before our eyes the decline of the vaunted defense. Bonucci looks like he is one step from losing it, to me. Still in the top ten, but perhaps at the edge. Napoli, Inter, and Roma all a step behind still. Milan still a cluster.

Obviously the BuLi hasn't kicked off yet, but I can't see anyone else besides Bayern doing anything. Overall, a bad transfer season for the league. Even Bayern has more questions than usual. The battle for the CL spots though should be compelling.

Oh, and Messi is still Messi.
Old 08-21-18, 10:24 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well screw BEIN sports, Comcast, and Verizon. May you all rot in TV hell.

Just found out about their BS arguments and that means no La Liga or Serie A matches for me. You guys all suck.
Old 08-21-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ten "power ranking" lists, with Atletico occupying my number 2 spot
I must know your Top 10.
Old 08-21-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

La Liga games in the U.S.?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-p...marketing-deal
Old 08-22-18, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I must know your Top 10.
I lost the post I had typed, so a shorter top ten. In tiers way too early. As always, simply my biased opinion.

1. Barca

2. Atletico
3. City

4. madrid

5. PSG
6. Juventus
7. Liverpool
8. Bayern

9. Valencia
10. Chelsea
Old 08-23-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-25-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Harsh red card via VAR for Schalke. Defender got the ball first!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.