Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2018

Old 09-06-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Stafford vs. NYJ or
Rivers vs. KC

I'm leaning Stafford, but I think it's basically a toss up.

Also in .5 PPR,
Duke Johnson vs. Pit or
Chirs Carson @Den
QB pun! I'd favor Stafford too, but Rivers seems fine.

Maybe Duke in PPR, even though Carson should get the bulk of the carries.
Old 09-06-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of .5 PPR, I will never be able to see a fractional PPR scoring system again and not think of this:

Old 09-06-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you all think Nelson Agholor (in a 12 team PPR league) and Adrian Peterson (12 team TD scoring league) are more flex worthy this week than Josh Gordon? I think they're huge volume plays since Gordon will be on a "pitch count" this week.

Last edited by lwhy?; 09-06-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Agholor is healthy I'd probably use him with Alshon out. But I'm a Chris Thompson owner (though I'm not starting him this week) so I'm a little biased.

I'm a Josh Gordon owner also and I'm sitting him this week.
Old 09-06-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Holy crap, I'd be fine with that in a 10 team league let alone a 14-teamer. Though I don't know how TD-only changes the rankings.

I do know that I'll never play a TD-only league. It drives me crazy enough to have one of guys come up just short of a TD only for my opponent to vulture it. But if I didn't get any points at all out of it ... I know I'd be breaking things for sure.
Lol, well, ours is a 12-teamer, so maybe we can split the difference.

This is our 30th year, we started in '89. Back then, the two primary scoring systems were "basic" (TDs only) and "distance" (TDs + bonuses for scoring from longer distance). Points for yardage, PPR, turnovers and all of those other categories came along later. For tradition sake, our home league just stuck with the "basic" scoring - we all play in other more modern leagues, but this is the league that we all really REALLY want to win, year-in and year-out.

Our scores typically run in the high 20s to mid 30s, and becuase it's based only on actual scoring plays, it "feels" more to me like real football than playing in FFLs that have style points. It's football, not figure skating.
Old 09-06-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Kenyan Drake is gonna be a break-out player this year. I'm sure most Fantasy drafts will have him available no earlier than the 3rd round - which makes him a bargain.

He reminds me a bit of younger Jamal Charles, in that he'll break out a 50 yard run almost every game.
Old 09-06-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I think Kenyan Drake is gonna be a break-out player this year. I'm sure most Fantasy drafts will have him available no earlier than the 3rd round - which makes him a bargain.

He reminds me a bit of younger Jamal Charles, in that he'll break out a 50 yard run almost every game.
I sure hope so. In my last draft, I took Antonio Brown sixth overall so had to get RB volume and took Devonta Freeman then Drake. My next RBs are Ingram and Rashaad Penny so I don't have a lot of wiggle room early in the season.
Old 09-06-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Agholor is healthy I'd probably use him with Alshon out. But I'm a Chris Thompson owner (though I'm not starting him this week) so I'm a little biased.

I'm a Josh Gordon owner also and I'm sitting him this week.
If you started Nelson I hope it was in a PPR league.
Old 09-06-18, 10:04 PM

If you started Nelson I hope it was in a PPR league.
It is a PPR league. I started him as my Flex.
Old 09-07-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only good thing about Leveon Bell possibly not playing was benching him for Jay Ajayi.

I thought I would regret starting him over Devonte Freeman.

I knew Matt Ryan would suck but I started him anyways since Wentz is not healthy.

I was hoping maybe he would shock everybody and have a good game.

I hope it is just one game and I don't regret having shares of Eagles players.
Old 09-07-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I took Devonta in two leagues despite my concerns about him, and he rewarded my lack of faith. But if he had converted a goal-line carry, he'd have 10 points and I'd be feeling OK (as long as he's not hurt). And of course I didn't handcuff Tevin Coleman because he was going too high, and that's a lot of resources to invest in two halves of a timeshare, kinda like if I'd drafted both Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis.
Old 09-07-18, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I took Devonta in two leagues despite my concerns about him, and he rewarded my lack of faith. But if he had converted a goal-line carry, he'd have 10 points and I'd be feeling OK (as long as he's not hurt). And of course I didn't handcuff Tevin Coleman because he was going too high, and that's a lot of resources to invest in two halves of a timeshare, kinda like if I'd drafted both Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis.
I drafted him in a 12 team PPR league and I'm nervous about him. I only got 8 points from him last night. I also had the Eagles kicker and Nelson Agoholor too. So three starters only netted me 25.5 points.... That's low for PPR....

Last edited by lwhy?; 09-07-18 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I drafted him in a 12 team PPR league and I'm nervous about him. I only got 8 points from him last night. I also had the Eagles kick and Nelson Agoholor too. So three starters only netted me 25.5 points.... That's low for PPR....
Yeah, I got four points from Freeman and four from Elliott. And of course the Eagles were driving for the winning FG then end up punching it in and going for two.

Glad I avoided Ajayi in my drafts because of the injury concerns.
Old 09-07-18, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I got four points from Freeman and four from Elliott. And of course the Eagles were driving for the winning FG then end up punching it in and going for two.

Ajayi does has a degenerative knee condition though. I hope Freeman runs better against Non-Eagles defensive lines. The Eagles line is legit. They have a lot of good players on it...
Old 09-07-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Ajayi does has a degenerative knee condition though. I hope Freeman runs better against Non-Eagles defensive lines. The Eagles line is legit. They have a lot of good players on it...
In a PPR league, I struggled with whether to start Ajayi (other RB options were pretty crappy/risky with Jamaal Williams, Barber, Mack, and a newly picked up James Conner). My gut told me to start Ajayi and for once my gut was right Also had Julio going, so nice to get 48+ points from 2 guys on a Thursday!

Ajayi still has his concerns. Because of the RBBC, his weekly floor is very low (even if he stays healthy). I love how the guy runs though ... always seems to go hard. He was by far the best looking part of the Eagles offense last night.
Old 09-07-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I think Kenyan Drake is gonna be a break-out player this year. I'm sure most Fantasy drafts will have him no earlier than the 3rd round - which makes him a bargain.

Not true. In every draft I participated in this year, and in every mock draft I saw posted online, Drake was available WELL earlier than the 3rd round. You could've had him in the 1st round if you wanted.
Old 09-07-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

With word of torrential downpour and high winds in Cleveland, is it wise to bench guys on either team? I have Landry slotted in a non-PPR league and Smith-Schuster in another (PPR). Considering changing them out (Smith-Schuster for Cooks) and either Burkhead or Robby Anderson in the non-PPR one. Not sure I am overthinking this.

Fortunately both are flex plays for me, so I have some flexibility.
Old 09-07-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Freeman is ok but I lost Keanu Neal in a IDP league

I hope Matt Ryan has better games than this and this was more a product of the stingy Eagles D.
Old 09-07-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
With word of torrential downpour and high winds in Cleveland, is it wise to bench guys on either team? I have Landry slotted in a non-PPR league and Smith-Schuster in another (PPR). Considering changing them out (Smith-Schuster for Cooks) and either Burkhead or Robby Anderson in the non-PPR one. Not sure I am overthinking this.

Fortunately both are flex plays for me, so I have some flexibility.
I'm having a hard enough time figuring things out with that game (like Big Ben or Mahomes, Hyde or Thompson, Conner or J. Williams), now I have to wonder about Landry (who was an auto-start). At least it's a 1p game and not in Pittsburgh (I'll never forget that one game they played there in the slop where the punt just stuck in the field on the landing...think it was 3-0).

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I hope Matt Ryan has better games than this and this was more a product of the stingy Eagles D.
I'm sure he will but I will always look at Ryan 2016 as the outlier. Particularly with Sark calling plays.
Old 09-07-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody that has a backup kicker on their roster should get their ass kicked.
Old 09-07-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Not true. In every draft I participated in this year, and in every mock draft I saw posted online, Drake was available WELL earlier than the 3rd round. You could've had him in the 1st round if you wanted.
Not sure if I explained it right, and I'm not sure of what you mean.

I meant Drake would be available in most drafts in the 3rd round or even later - making him a bargain. Of course since I haven't joined any fantasy pool, this is what I assumed based on how little talk there has been about Drake.
Old 09-09-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like the rain may not be as bad as expected in Cleveland. Might be okay to roll with some of the guys like Landry or Smith Schuster.
Old 09-09-18, 02:16 PM

I'm getting destroyed in most of my leagues today.... I drafted Wentz in a lot of leagues and have Jimmy G as my backup for Wentz. That strategy is not working for week 1....
Old 09-09-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Ben is messing my team up today.
Old 09-09-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

T Hill!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.