Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2018

Old 12-27-18, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Cousins was my QB1 but I just couldn't rely on him down the stretch. Luckily I had Goff, who had some off days but otherwise was pretty solid and will probably go a lot higher next year.
I hope Matt Ryan does not go high since he was a bargain in 2018 and if he has a healthy O line and another year of seasoning for Ridley the Falcons offense could be better in 2019.
Old 12-27-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cousins was my QB1 but I just couldn't rely on him down the stretch. Luckily I had Goff, who had some off days but otherwise was pretty solid and will probably go a lot higher next year.
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I hope Matt Ryan does not go high since he was a bargain in 2018 and if he has a healthy O line and another year of seasoning for Ridley the Falcons offense could be better in 2019.
I drafted Big Ben and picked up Trubisky on waivers as my backup and they led me to the Finals. I just donít see drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds as essential. I think Luck lasted until Round 10 of 14.
Old 12-27-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

I haven't exactly done the research but I'm fairly sure you could have had a terrible team that just barely made the playoffs, and just with a roster of guys available on the waiver wire the past few weeks, dominated the playoffs. That's how many scrubs got opportunities in the fantasy playoffs.

Like if you were in a league where waiver priority was set by record, you'd have been screwed.
Exactly why FAAB is a must.
Old 12-27-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Fortunately, no major scoring changes this week. The league I commish - the championship was decided by .5 pt. I saw that last week was a mess in some leagues with the official scoring changes.
Old 12-28-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I drafted Big Ben and picked up Trubisky on waivers as my backup and they led me to the Finals. I just donít see drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds as essential. I think Luck lasted until Round 10 of 14.
There is always a sucker who takes Aaron Rodgers early and he ends up putting mediocre numbers or gets hurt.
Old 12-28-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy who I beat in the title game wants to quit the league after losing the title games in back to back years.

It took me 9 years to win that league and I did not quit.

Maybe if he was not a Broncos homer and started Henry over Lindsay he would have won.
Old 12-29-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The_Cube View Post
Yea, that Gurley situation was almost worst case scenario for fantasy football. Everyone made it sound like he was going to play, and then all of a sudden everything changed after it was too late to make any decent subs. I appreciate guys like JuJu Smith-Shuster who are open about their health before a game.
You get NO SYMPATHY from folks who drafted Bell first ...
Old 12-29-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gurley in weeks 15/16 of 2016: 123 total yards, one TD
Gurley in weeks 15/16 of 2017: 456 total yards, six TDs
Gurley in weeks 15/16 of 2018: 124 total yards, two TDs

You just never know in fantasy football.
Old 12-29-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gurley and Brees ... in one league, led me to an undefeated regular season. And I'm pulling a 2007 Patriots and blowing it in the playoffs

The only league I care about still has a chance in our 2-week championship final. I have a 5 point lead after week 1 (despite being 30 point favorites ). Since the Chiefs have motivation to win, my key trio of Mahomes/Hill/Kelce should still be good to go. Which RBs to play is the biggest thing I'm hung up on (non-PPR league). Nick Chubb seems a lock despite a tough matchup @ Ravens (10 points seems to be his floor). My other choices are:

Zeke Elliott @ Giants. Normally Zeke's a "set-and-forget" lineup guy, but the fact that the Cowboys have nothing to gain from this game scares the hell out of me.

James Conner vs Bengals. Even if he's active (and he seems to be trending that way), another scary situation. If the Steelers get the game under control, I can see them taking it easy with Conner's workload.

CJ Anderson vs Niners. Feels like a guy I should be starting, given weak opponent and safer playing-time role.

David Johnson @ Seahawks. TDs salvaged the last 2 weeks (and his previous 3 games weren't great). But he still gets the touches, and despite it feeling like an absolute disaster season he's RB10 for the season.

Damien Williams vs Raiders. Is he a must-start if Ware is out again? Dare I go with 4 Chiefs in that situation? It sounds like Ware is going to play though (despite still having a Q designation).

Royce Freeman vs Chargers. Not giving him much consideration despite Lindsay being out. On my team because I can't help hoarding RBs (and I figure better on my bench than possibly hurting me in my opponent's lineup).

Right now I have Chubb, CJA, and Conner in my lineup. But not sure about Conner.
Old 12-30-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Rivers @ DEN or Ryan @ TB? Obviously Ryan is a far better matchup, but they have nothing to play for. Worried if the game gets out of hand, they yank Ryan, whereas Rivers and Chargers do have something to play for, so he is likely in for the whole game.
Old 12-30-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
You get NO SYMPATHY from folks who drafted Bell first ...
Eh. I drafted David Johnson first last year. The good thing about something like that happening is you can move on quickly (in Bell's case, you had to still roster him but you didn't use him).

I kinda think drafting someone like Fournette was worse too.
Old 12-30-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

I drafted Bell 2nd. Had I drafted Elliot/DJ or anyone of the higher projected backs, I probably would have made it into my championship game. Oh well, I didn't handcuff him with Conner, so it was my fault for not doing that.
Old 12-30-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Eh. I drafted David Johnson first last year. The good thing about something like that happening is you can move on quickly (in Bell's case, you had to still roster him but you didn't use him).

I kinda think drafting someone like Fournette was worse too.
I drafted Bell 3rd in one league - won it. Helped that used a ton of FAAB the first week to get Conner.

My other league, auction/dynasty - Bell was $50 of my $200. Did not get Conner. Went 21-5 in the regular season and dominated. Finished 3rd there since my lineup fizzled in the semis Week 15. I still have Bell and can hold him if I wish. Probably won't but if he ends up on a team like the Colts, some value there.
Old 12-30-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After being favored by 40 points, I lost the championship by less than 0.1
Old 12-30-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Ben put up mediocre numbers against a terrible Bengals D
Old 12-30-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rivers @ DEN or Ryan @ TB? Obviously Ryan is a far better matchup, but they have nothing to play for. Worried if the game gets out of hand, they yank Ryan, whereas Rivers and Chargers do have something to play for, so he is likely in for the whole game.
Ryan

I think Rivers is overrated and better in real football than fantasy. When was his last 300 yard game?
Old 12-30-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Ryan

I think Rivers is overrated and better in real football than fantasy. When was his last 300 yard game?
Good call 6 hours too late
Old 12-31-18, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL Hope he started Ryan
Old 01-01-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think James Conner will be a bust if he goes high. The Steelers were 31st in rushing.

If Antonio Brown is gone the Steelers offense could be out of wack if that game against Cincy is what they will become.