Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2018 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 21

Old 06-18-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2018 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 21

Okay, there might be some trades and movement this week so I thought it was time to start an NBA Draft thread with the draft just three days away.

How to watch the 2018 NBA Draft
When: Thursday, June 21 at 7 p.m. ET
Where: Barclays Center -- Brooklyn, N.Y.
TV: ESPN
Live stream: WatchESPN.com or WatchESPN app

First Round
1. Phoenix
2. Sacramento
3. Atlanta
4. Memphis
5. Dallas
6. Orlando
7. Chicago
8. Cleveland (from Brooklyn via Boston)
9. New York
10. Philadelphia (from Los Angeles Lakers via Phoenix)
11.Charlotte
12. LA Clippers (from Detroit)
13. LA Clippers
14. Denver
15. Washington
16. Phoenix (from Miami)
17. Milwaukee
18. San Antonio
19. Atlanta (from Minnesota)
20. Minnesota (from Oklahoma City via Utah)
21. Utah
22. Chicago (from New Orleans)
23. Indiana
24. Portland
25. Los Angeles Lakers (from Cleveland)
26. Philadelphia
27. Boston
28. Golden State
29. Brooklyn (from Toronto)
30. Atlanta (from Houston via LA Clippers)

Second Round

31. Phoenix
32. Memphis
33. Dallas
34. Atlanta
35. Orlando
36. New York (from Chicago via Oklahoma City)
37. Sacramento
38. Philadelphia (from Brooklyn)
39. Philadelphia (from New York)
40. Brooklyn (from Los Angeles Lakers via Toronto and Orlando)
41. Orlando (from Charlotte via Phoenix and Memphis)
42. Detroit
43. Denver (from LA Clippers via New York and Philadelphia)
44. Washington
45. Brooklyn (from Milwaukee)
46. Houston (from Miami via Memphis)
47. Los Angeles Lakers (from Denver via Chicago and Utah)
48. Minnesota
49. San Antonio
50. Indiana
51. New Orleans
52. Utah
53. Oklahoma City
54. Dallas (from Portland via Denver)
55. Charlotte (from Cleveland via Brooklyn and Philadelphia)
56. Philadelphia
57. Oklahoma City (from Boston)
58. Denver (from Golden State)
59. Phoenix (from Toronto)
60. Philadelphia (from Houston)

Old 06-18-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread - Thursday, June 21

Please no one Draft LiAngelo Ball thatís all I ask.
Old 06-18-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about creating the draft thread this weekend then saw that Decker does it every year and decided to wait.
Old 06-18-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I thought about creating the draft thread this weekend then saw that Decker does it every year and decided to wait.
Happy to oblige! You do more than your share with the weekly MLB thread, complete with Poll.

I thought about a Poll for this thread "Who Will the Phoenix Suns Take With the #1 Overall Pick?" with only one option : Deandre Ayton. Then I decided against it. I suppose I could have had a poll for #2. Oh well...
Old 06-18-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm looking forward to the draft, hoping there's a lot of activity trade wise!
Old 06-18-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Happy to oblige! You do more than your share with the weekly MLB thread, complete with Poll.

I thought about a Poll for this thread "Who Will the Phoenix Suns Take With the #1 Overall Pick?" with only one option : Deandre Ayton. Then I decided against it. I suppose I could have had a poll for #2. Oh well...

I was thinking about a poll for #2 but your #1 would've been hilarious.
Old 06-19-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No idea who Kings will take for #2. The talk is all over the place with the local papers. Seemed like Donic was a lock at first, then lots of JJJ but now there is a big push for Porter. Its riskier but with a higher ceiling. Also, Divac (the GM) had the same back surgery when he was a rookie so maybe he'll not be as worried about it.
I would go and watch the lottery at the arena but i have a softball game at the same time.
Old 06-19-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
No idea who Kings will take for #2. The talk is all over the place with the local papers. Seemed like Donic was a lock at first, then lots of JJJ but now there is a big push for Porter. Its riskier but with a higher ceiling. Also, Divac (the GM) had the same back surgery when he was a rookie so maybe he'll not be as worried about it.
I would go and watch the lottery at the arena but i have a softball game at the same time.
Didn't they just take Fox last year? Can Doncic and Fox play together? They do love taking centers, though.

They traded their 2019 pick, unprotected (of course), so I'm not sure they can risk Porter being out, but hey, it's the Kings. The good thing is they're high enough that they (probably) can't really screw this up.
Old 06-19-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Porter is a real wild card, and seems to be climbing the charts.

I remember when he signed with the Washington Huskies (they hired his dad, the family moved out and the brothers dominated in HS) and was projected to be the #1 pick after a one-and-done. Of course then Washington fired Lorenzo Romar even though he had a huge draft class coming in, and as predicted the Porters withdrew their commitments and followed their dad to Mizzou, where he was hired as an assistant coach. And then Porter got hurt and missed nearly all the year anyway. And now I hear the younger brother, Jontay, has also declared for the draft. He's younger but reclassified to the same class as his brother.

An interesting story for sure.
Old 06-19-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Porter is a real wild card, and seems to be climbing the charts.

I remember when he signed with the Washington Huskies (they hired his dad, the family moved out and the brothers dominated in HS) and was projected to be the #1 pick after a one-and-done. Of course then Washington fired Lorenzo Romar even though he had a huge draft class coming in, and as predicted the Porters withdrew their commitments and followed their dad to Mizzou, where he was hired as an assistant coach. And then Porter got hurt and missed nearly all the year anyway. And now I hear the younger brother, Jontay, has also declared for the draft. He's younger but reclassified to the same class as his brother.

An interesting story for sure.
On the other hand, Embiid's example probably helps him, as does the 76ers motto of "never play a rookie if they're even halfway injured so you can get a better draft pick." I can't see him going past Cleveland if Lebron leaves, since they kind of need to tank to keep their pick next year plus they need a home run, but we'll see.

The top 8-10 picks are pretty tantalizing, though of course we'll need a few years to really see how deep this draft really was. Like Trae Young, for instance: leading college in points and assists as a freshman is impressive and unprecedented, but scouts are still iffy on what translates.
Old 06-19-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Odds of Chimezie Metu from USC being a first round pick? I saw him play a lot working his games and he’s very raw, but has tremendous potential. He even has an outiside jumper.

I saw that he worked out for the Lakers, but they don’t really need a tweener big man. They already have Thomas Bryant and Ingram as of right now.
Old 06-19-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, I think the Kings will regret it if they don't take Doncic at 2. He's close to a can't miss guy, and being a Euro, he'll probably have less issue with being in low-profile Sac Town than some of the high-profile college players might.

If they really don't want him, they should trade down a bit.
Old 06-19-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Didn't they just take Fox last year? Can Doncic and Fox play together? They do love taking centers, though.

They traded their 2019 pick, unprotected (of course), so I'm not sure they can risk Porter being out, but hey, it's the Kings. The good thing is they're high enough that they (probably) can't really screw this up.
thats one of the issues with Donic is the overlap with him and Fox and Bojan.
Old 06-19-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Man, I think the Kings will regret it if they don't take Doncic at 2. He's close to a can't miss guy, and being a Euro, he'll probably have less issue with being in low-profile Sac Town than some of the high-profile college players might.

If they really don't want him, they should trade down a bit.
As a fan of the team that holds the Kings 2019 pick (#1 protected), I hope they don't take Doncic. He seems the most ready to help a team win, and I want them to lose.
Old 06-19-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
thats one of the issues with Donic is the overlap with him and Fox and Bojan.
How many people said a few years back that the Warriors had too much overlap with Steph & Klay? That worked out okay I think.
Old 06-19-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
As a fan of the team that holds the Kings 2019 pick (#1 protected), I hope they don't take Doncic. He seems the most ready to help a team win, and I want them to lose.
I feel like the dude is going to get torched on defense. I know you can find clips of him defending players in Euroleague, but Kuzma already called that out. I don't think a single player will necessarily solve that for them, but I can't really see him making that much of a difference in terms of wins and losses. I mean standings-wise they were fourth worse in the Western conference and I can't imagine the Grizzlies are really that bad once healthy.

Both Klay and Curry have incredible range, and Curry can focus on playmaking and Klay on defense. These are arguably the two best shooters in the league. Was that really a concern? I'm pretty sure Curry was always a PG and Klay a SG.

I remember Fox's weakness coming out was his jump shot, has that improved? Can either of these guys (Doncic or Fox) play shooting guard? I think you want the ball in Doncic's hands, so it's more if Fox can slide over, I think.
Old 06-19-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The smart move is in the lottery you always pick the best available player and work out fit later. The teams that just try to pick what they think they need in the lottery end up missing on great players.
Old 06-19-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
The smart move is in the lottery you always pick the best available player and work out fit later. The teams that just try to pick what they think they need in the lottery end up missing on great players.
Yup. Exhibit A :

Old 06-19-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Ayton signed a Suns jersey at some event. Seems like a guy who knows where he is going....
Old 06-20-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ks-3rd-overall

Hawks strongly interested in Luka Doncic with 3rd overall pick, sources say
Adrian Wojnarowski
ESPN

Slovenian teen star Luka Doncic has elevated to the forefront of the Atlanta Hawks' internal discussions on the third overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft, league sources told ESPN.

Doncic's elevation within the Hawks organization reflects a leaguewide belief that Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley III could go 1-2 to Phoenix and Sacramento, respectively, to open the draft, league sources said.

If the Kings pass on Bagley, that would clearly complicate the Hawks' ultimate choice with the third pick.

Doncic started to separate himself in organizational discussions around the choice, an examination that has included a tremendous intrigue with Jaren Jackson Jr., league sources said.

Atlanta remains a target of multiple teams trying to move up in the draft, including Dallas, which also has been focused on selecting Doncic, league sources said.

Rival teams say that Atlanta general manager Travis Schlenk has been willing to engage in talks about dropping out of the third spot and moving down to draft later in the first round, league executives said.
The Hawks have three picks in the first round -- Nos. 3, 19 and 30. The 19th and 30th picks have been included in discussions to move up and select another player in the draft lottery, league sources said.
Old 06-20-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Newsflash: team with 3rd pick is strongly interested in guy who should go #1 or #2.
Old 06-20-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was more interested in the comment that many people think Bagley is going #2.
Old 06-20-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If the Kings really don't want Doncic, they should work a trade with Dallas. Don't know what they could get in return but a lot of the guys they're eyeing are still going to be there at 5 and I bet the Mavs would pay nicely to secure Doncic.
Old 06-21-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was looking through some draft player stats and they showed Lonnie Walker expected to be picked around 10. He's a point guard and he averaged 11 points and 1 assist a game last year. Not sure how those stats get you picked so high in the draft.
Old 06-21-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I was looking through some draft player stats and they showed Lonnie Walker expected to be picked around 10. He's a point guard and he averaged 11 points and 1 assist a game last year. Not sure how those stats get you picked so high in the draft.
I think he projects as a shooting guard, has lots of athleticism, decent mechanics on his 3pt shot and a body that should allow him to play good d. Plus, of course, "potential." But I think the 10 pick is more because of position on a 76ers team that is pretty much set everywhere else, at least in terms of starters; if he drops past that I think most mocks have him dropping at least five or six picks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.