Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Old 08-27-18, 01:20 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Yeah, I'm also not crazy about my receiving corps, which was my downfall in the playoffs last year. Not sure how I ended up with two Rams this time around.
I have been trying to target Marquise Goodwin this year as a sleeper WR, but he is apparently everyone's sleeper WR. He has been going 1-2 rounds earlier than I was expecting....
lwhy? is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 01:50 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,318
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
He has been going 1-2 rounds earlier than I was expecting....
On that note, it's very difficult to reconcile ADP with picking 12th (or 1st). I had to take a few guys earlier than I was comfortable with since I effectively had to wait an entire two rounds until the next picks, and had no way to react to a potential run on any given position.
printerati is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 04:46 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,511
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
On that note, it's very difficult to reconcile ADP with picking 12th (or 1st). I had to take a few guys earlier than I was comfortable with since I effectively had to wait an entire two rounds until the next picks, and had no way to react to a potential run on any given position.
Yup, same here, as the number one pick I had to basically look all the way down to my next pick to see what I was potentially going to miss out on, and you have to kind of say screw ADP at that point because you definitely aren't getting a lot of those players in between.

That said, I wish I waited on QB another round, but I couldn't risk it.
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 07:23 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,633
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

I've been taking Wentz in the seventh round of most of my mocks, but in this league he went earlier. I would've been OK with the guys around him like Stafford and Cousins, but by the time I got back around I had to go for Jimmy GQ. So in the free league, I decided to be more aggressive and took Wentz in the sixth. I don't even know why I started targeting Wentz in the mocks, but I guess I like the value coming off the injury, and I usually draft a decent backup anyway so I should be covered if he can't play week 1.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 07:36 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I've been taking Wentz in the seventh round of most of my mocks, but in this league he went earlier. I would've been OK with the guys around him like Stafford and Cousins, but by the time I got back around I had to go for Jimmy GQ. So in the free league, I decided to be more aggressive and took Wentz in the sixth. I don't even know why I started targeting Wentz in the mocks, but I guess I like the value coming off the injury, and I usually draft a decent backup anyway so I should be covered if he can't play week 1.
I have been taking him in the sixth round. If you hadn't drafted him in the free league, I would have taken him. I like to draft QBs that are ranked around 4-6 at the position. I just can't justify drafting a QB in the first three rounds. There are too many good WRs and RBs to draft. I tend to do the same strategy with TEs. I always target Delanie Walker.
lwhy? is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 09:10 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,576
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

I am so excited to finish last place in this league.
Quake1028 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 09:22 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,690
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I am so excited to finish last place in this league.
Not so fast my friend!
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 10:23 AM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,633
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I have been taking him in the sixth round. If you hadn't drafted him in the free league, I would have taken him. I like to draft QBs that are ranked around 4-6 at the position. I just can't justify drafting a QB in the first three rounds. There are too many good WRs and RBs to draft. I tend to do the same strategy with TEs. I always target Delanie Walker.
Glad to hear I wasn't reaching for Wentz at that spot!

Yeah, I go RB/WR heavy in the first few rounds so I never end up with Rodgers etc. Once I went for Gronk early, and he was pretty much the MVP for the first part of the season, then he went down and I was stuck. Injuries can happen to anyone, of course, but he's particularly risky. I do see the advantage of having an edge over everyone else at a particular position, which is how Jordan Reed was such a find a couple years ago, but he's even worse than Gronk.

I've had an interest in Trey Burton, but his price has gotten too high for my blood so I've been looking more in the Reed-Kittle-Doyle range, but I waited a little too long in this league and had to grab Kittle before I had no options left. Then in the free league, Burton dropped further than I expected, and there were no notable WR/RBs on the board so I just took him.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 12:11 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Glad to hear I wasn't reaching for Wentz at that spot!

Yeah, I go RB/WR heavy in the first few rounds so I never end up with Rodgers etc. Once I went for Gronk early, and he was pretty much the MVP for the first part of the season, then he went down and I was stuck. Injuries can happen to anyone, of course, but he's particularly risky. I do see the advantage of having an edge over everyone else at a particular position, which is how Jordan Reed was such a find a couple years ago, but he's even worse than Gronk.

I've had an interest in Trey Burton, but his price has gotten too high for my blood so I've been looking more in the Reed-Kittle-Doyle range, but I waited a little too long in this league and had to grab Kittle before I had no options left. Then in the free league, Burton dropped further than I expected, and there were no notable WR/RBs on the board so I just took him.
You and I seem to think alike. If I wasn't able to draft Walker, I almost always went for Doyle.
lwhy? is offline  
Old 09-04-18, 01:52 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,511
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Speaking of Yahoo draft grades, I basically did four drafts (the first one being this one) and my draft grade has been going lower and lower with each successive draft as I get more familiar with the players and reach a bit more for guys I like. I felt pretty good about my last draft and got the second lowest grade out of all teams, including a bunch of auto drafters.
fujishig is offline  
Old 09-04-18, 02:06 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,633
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
You and I seem to think alike. If I wasn't able to draft Walker, I almost always went for Doyle.
I hate it when I draft with people who are thinking like me.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 09-04-18, 02:07 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Speaking of Yahoo draft grades, I basically did four drafts (the first one being this one) and my draft grade has been going lower and lower with each successive draft as I get more familiar with the players and reach a bit more for guys I like. I felt pretty good about my last draft and got the second lowest grade out of all teams, including a bunch of auto drafters.
I think they need to rework their algorithm. It's obviously not working.
lwhy? is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 05:57 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,690
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Well, I thought I might get a win week one, then John's Team went off Thursday. Then Kamara went off and Rodgers left the Sunday Night game!!!!!

Then he came back to throw 3 td's but forgot about his TE
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 12:50 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,318
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
Then he came back to throw 3 td's but forgot about his TE
I should be able to hang on for a victory in the free league despite Graham's performance. Starting Jamaal Williams over James Conner is going to cost me in this one, though...much to lwhy?'s delight.
printerati is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 01:18 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I should be able to hang on for a victory in the free league despite Graham's performance. Starting Jamaal Williams over James Conner is going to cost me in this one, though...much to lwhy?'s delight.
Anything can happen. You might pull out the victory tonight. It's been a rough first week for me. I could go 0-6 in my six leagues....
lwhy? is offline  
Old 09-16-18, 04:53 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,690
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

I think I have the Bills of this league
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 09-16-18, 04:59 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,633
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

I dunno. Next week my starting backs will be Carlos Hyde and Sony Michel.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 09-16-18, 06:14 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
I think I have the Bills of this league
It's too early to say that. I started 1-5 in this league in 2015 and ended up winning the championship. I was 2-4 in another league last year and ended up winning it all. It's hard to figure out your team during the first 3-4 weeks.
lwhy? is offline  
Old 09-16-18, 06:16 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,511
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I dunno. Next week my starting backs will be Carlos Hyde and Sony Michel.
Never say never, Michel gets the Lions d next week.

Should've started Bortles over a gimped Rodgers, but no way I was going to do that unless Rodgers was completely out.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-16-18 at 06:31 PM.
fujishig is offline  
Old 10-02-18, 06:46 AM
  #120  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,690
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

4 weeks in. I've got the highest scoring team in the league!!!!!


and I'm 1-3
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 10-02-18, 08:17 AM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,511
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
4 weeks in. I've got the highest scoring team in the league!!!!!


and I'm 1-3
Brick by Brick, who's 4-0, has like the 9th most points in the league, behind two teams (including yours) who are 1-3. But only 2 teams are above .500 so it's not like the league is top heavy or anything...

WD Forte has both scored the least amount of points and, by far, has the most points scored against him (like by a whopping 60 points).

Barely eked it out, which I didn't expect going into MNF, which would have put me at 1-3 too with Goff and Kupp on the bench. Also lots of points scored this week compared to last week at least.
fujishig is offline  
Old 10-02-18, 09:24 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,616
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Brick by Brick, who's 4-0, has like the 9th most points in the league, behind two teams (including yours) who are 1-3. But only 2 teams are above .500 so it's not like the league is top heavy or anything...
I have no idea how I'm 4-0 and only averaging 95.725 points per game.... Sometimes it's better to be lucky in fantasy football than good at fantasy football....
lwhy? is offline  
Old 10-02-18, 11:47 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,511
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

There is no good, there is only luck.
fujishig is offline  
Old 10-02-18, 03:41 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,318
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
only 2 teams are above .500
printerati is offline  
Old 10-03-18, 09:35 AM
  #125  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,576
Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Brick by Brick, who's 4-0, has like the 9th most points in the league, behind two teams (including yours) who are 1-3. But only 2 teams are above .500 so it's not like the league is top heavy or anything...

WD Forte has both scored the least amount of points and, by far, has the most points scored against him (like by a whopping 60 points).

Barely eked it out, which I didn't expect going into MNF, which would have put me at 1-3 too with Goff and Kupp on the bench. Also lots of points scored this week compared to last week at least.
Four.

Yards.

Quake1028 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.