Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Old 08-24-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: DVDTalk All Star Fantasy Football League 2018

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
DVD Josh never renewed his team. I refunded his money today and deleted his team. I'm sending Quake1028 a PM. If he can pay the entry fee today, he will be taking DVD Josh's place. amplified is the in case of emergency replacement.
$ sent.
Old 08-24-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
$ sent.
Money received and league invitation sent. Please join as soon as possible so I can finalize the league and set the draft order. I'm just going to give you DVD Josh's third pick. I think that's the fairest thing to do and so we don't have to randomize the draft order again.
Old 08-24-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All done.
Old 08-24-18, 03:54 PM

All done.
Thank you! The league is now finally finalized and we are ready to draft on Sunday! Thanks again to new owners tommyp007, davidh777, and Quake1028 for joining and helping to fill out the league.
Old 08-24-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-26-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking forward to tonight's draft. Since I've only played in PPR leagues for years, I've been mocking to get some idea of a strategy. Therefore I expect to bring up the rear
Old 08-26-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ve been grabbing Marqise Lee in a lot of my mocks. That’s a winning strategy, right?
Old 08-26-18, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
Looking forward to tonight's draft. Since I've only played in PPR leagues for years, I've been mocking to get some idea of a strategy. Therefore I expect to bring up the rear
I have been debating trying to make this league a PPR league, but it's been hard to fill this league lately. I've been afraid to make any changes due to that.
Old 08-26-18, 11:08 AM

Draft Day is upon us. The draft room should open up around 6:30PM Eastern. The draft will start at 7PM Eastern.
Old 08-26-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Draft Day is upon us. The draft room should open up around 6:30PM Eastern. The draft will start at 7PM Eastern.
I'll be here with pencil, paper, beer and tacos.
Old 08-26-18, 06:47 PM

Last call for fantasty football. The draft starts in less than fifteen minutes.
Old 08-26-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still have no idea what happened to John's team, and how it ended up drafting like that. I mean there's not even enough there to field a team week 1, even moreso if Jeffery is out.
Old 08-26-18, 10:14 PM

Here are Yahoo's "grades" for our draft. Sorry Osiris3657, I don't know how they graded you lower than BearFan....

Ken Dorsey GOAT A-
Axeramm's A**kickers B
WD Forte B
Frontal LeBeautomy B
Fuji's B
UP Laters B-
Brick by Brick B-
Craptastics C+
The Usual Suspects C
Chaos is a Ladder C
John's Team C
Fat Cats C-
Old 08-27-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know I'll just sound bitter, but Yahoo's draft grades don't make sense to me. I feel like the more players you draft that have been big fantasy names in the past, the higher grade you get. Sleepers or Breakouts are not taken into account. I just looked at the A grade draft team and think my roster is just as good, if not better. I bet Brady (his QB) and Rivers (mine) finish close together in the QB rankings. My WR duo of Hopkins and Adams is probably the best in the league, McKinnon is in a Kyle Shanahan system, which always produces good offense. Henry is a 3 down back in a run first offense with a great line, Trey Burton is in a TE friendly offense, and Goodwin is Garapollo's favorite target in an offense that is going to see him throw a ton of yards.
Old 08-27-18, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I know I'll just sound bitter, but Yahoo's draft grades don't make sense to me. I feel like the more players you draft that have been big fantasy names in the past, the higher grade you get. Sleepers or Breakouts are not taken into account. I just looked at the A grade draft team and think my roster is just as good, if not better. I bet Brady (his QB) and Rivers (mine) finish close together in the QB rankings. My WR duo of Hopkins and Adams is probably the best in the league, McKinnon is in a Kyle Shanahan system, which always produces good offense. Henry is a 3 down back in a run first offense with a great line, Trey Burton is in a TE friendly offense, and Goodwin is Garapollo's favorite target in an offense that is going to see him throw a ton of yards.
Yahoo grading you lower than Bearfan shows that their algorithm is jacked up. They hated all my drafts last year and I made the playoffs in all three of my yahoo leagues and had a top three finish in all three (3rd place, 2nd place, and 1st place)...

I drafted RBs higher this year than I usually do. My WRs are weaker as a result (Cooper, Davis, Williams, Benjamin, Doctson, and Ridley) I hope I'll hit on a WR besides Cooper to be a solid WR 2.
Old 08-27-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Don't be a hater on my A- drafting skillz.

Old 08-27-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering even the preeminent fantasy experts don't win all their leagues, a ton of it is luck, whether it be hitting sleepers or avoiding injuries (David Johnson last year, sob).

I believe Yahoo uses a different service to do the grades than the one that calculates the predicted stats, which is why Axeramm won the most projected points title.

Now I have to look at Fat Cats to see how he had a worse draft than a team that drafted only one healthy/eligible RB (in a two RB league), two TEs and two defenses. Like a team is projected to have a hole in their lineup for the rest of the year but someone still gets a worse grade? Unless they didn't update their projections for the IR guys or something.

woah, John's team/BearsFan also has the hardest projected schedule according to their algorithm.

Edited to add:
This blurb is all you need to know about their analysis:

Despite openings on offense at QB and TE in the 5th round, Fuji's selected RB Lamar Miller with the 49th pick, filling the WR/RB/TE flex position at the expense of a position of higher need. They were the second squad to make their first flex pick.
Also they praised my drafting of Mack and that's like one of the iffiest picks I made (and I made a bunch of them)
Old 08-27-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BearsFan also has 2 kickers.

So,

3 IR/Retired players
2 Defenses
2 Kickers

OUCH .
Old 08-27-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel like a big part of Yahoo's algorithm is where you take players according to their rankings. So if you take every player at the exact spot where they have him slotted, you'd get an average grade. If you take players later than their rankings, your grade rises, and if you take guys before their rankings, you take a hit.

And I got the same complaint as Fuji about waiting on QB in both of my drafts.

•Even with unfilled positions at QB and TE in the 5th round, UP Laters drafted WR Chris Hogan at No. 53, filling the WR/RB/TE flex position rather than a higher leverage position.
Ultimately it's silly to worry about a draft grade, and where you finish is going to be greatly affected on your in-season moves.
Old 08-27-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After trying various mock strategies on whether to take Antonio Brown at #5 or go for an RB, I went conventional with Brown. I feel like I then reached on Devonta Freeman and Mixon with my next picks because I didn't want to go zero RB, but then late in the draft I realized I had gone zero WR so I had to grab a couple guys late just for depth.
Old 08-27-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BearsFan also has 2 kickers.

So,

3 IR/Retired players
2 Defenses
2 Kickers

OUCH .
Yeah ... ready to hit the waiver wire soon
Old 08-27-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I lose, it'll be at least partly because of this:

After picking up multiple Bears in the early rounds (Jordan Howard and Allen Robinson II),
I didn't even realize it at the time too. And I have a Jet. Darnold better be throwing some bombs.
Old 08-27-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Yeah ... ready to hit the waiver wire soon
Good idea... you never know when both of your kickers are going to get hurt. Might need a third.
Old 08-27-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had some exciting moments during the draft when my phone went down to 1%, but I managed to plug in just in time.
Old 08-27-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I drafted RBs higher this year than I usually do. My WRs are weaker as a result (Cooper, Davis, Williams, Benjamin, Doctson, and Ridley) I hope I'll hit on a WR besides Cooper to be a solid WR 2.
Yeah, I'm also not crazy about my receiving corps, which was my downfall in the playoffs last year. Not sure how I ended up with two Rams this time around.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.