Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC moving to ESPN in 2019

Old 05-23-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

UFC moving to ESPN in 2019

Expanded Package Builds Upon Agreement Announced Earlier this Month

Includes 30 Fully Exclusive UFC Fight Nights and 42 Nights of Live Event Coverage per Year

UFC(R), the world's premier mixed martial arts organization, and The Walt Disney Company's new Direct-To-Consumer and International segment along with ESPN, today announced the full scope of the historic multi-year agreement that makes ESPN-branded media platforms the exclusive digital and television home of the UFC in the United States, further expanding streaming rights to UFC on ESPN+ and building upon the agreement revealed earlier this month.

Starting in January 2019, ESPN+ and ESPN become the exclusive digital and linear distributors in the United States for UFC, showcasing 42 live events, 30 of which will feature a full card of 12 UFC bouts. ESPN linear networks will broadcast 10 exclusive events as well as all UFC pay-per-view preliminary fights, while ESPN+, the recently-launched multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service, will offer 20 exclusive events and all preliminary fights for "UFC on ESPN Fight Night" programs. Events broadcast on ESPN will be branded "UFC on ESPN Fight Night," while events streamed live on ESPN+ will carry the "UFC on ESPN+ Fight Night" moniker. With this agreement, the only destination where fans can watch all UFC programming is the ESPN app, and in the future, the full breadth of content will be available on ESPN+.

Jimmy Pitaro, ESPN President and Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks said, "ESPN's unparalleled multimedia platform is the perfect home for the UFC and will deliver tremendous value to both parties. UFC fans are passionate and loyal and we plan to bring the full power of ESPN's live coverage, powerful storytelling and unmatched distribution to serve them in an unprecedented fashion. We can't wait to get started."

Added Kevin Mayer, Chairman, Direct-To-Consumer and International, The Walt Disney Company, "The expansion of our relationship with UFC is an exciting development for fight fans. Delivering 20 exclusive UFC fight nights per year and a host of original content to UFC's young, passionate and tech-savvy fan base, makes ESPN+ the clear new digital home for UFC and further establishes our new service as the leading platform for direct-to-consumer sports streaming."

Dana White, President, UFC said, "Every year for the last 18 years, we have taken this sport and brand to another level. We find innovative ways to promote our athletes and build stars. Today is another monumental day for UFC, our athletes, and our fans. We are now part of the ESPN family, recognized around the world as the pinnacle in sports broadcasting. I am very excited for this next chapter for UFC." With more than 280 million fans around the world, UFC boasts the youngest fan base among major professional sports organizations in the US with a median age of 40 and an audience comprising 40% millennials.

UFC on ESPN

Fight Nights Platform # of Events

UFC on ESPN+ Fight Night ESPN+ 20

UFC on ESPN Fight Night * ESPN networks 10

UFC PPV Preliminary Fights ESPN networks 12

* Prelims for UFC on ESPN Fight Night will be streamed live on ESPN+

Fans can subscribe to ESPN+ for just $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year). To subscribe, fans simply download or open the ESPN App (or visit ESPNPlus.com). In addition to live, exclusive events, the lineup of UFC content available to ESPN+ subscribers will include:

· Exclusive, all new-seasons of "Dana White's Contender Series" beginning in June 2019

· A new original, all-access series produced by IMG Original Content

· Exclusive pre- and post-event shows for all 30 "UFC on ESPN Fight Night" programs on ESPN and ESPN+

· Non-exclusive access to UFC's full archive of programming, including historic events, classic bouts, and original programming

· Additional UFC-branded content, including "UFC Countdown" shows, press conferences, weigh-ins, and pre-and post-shows

In addition to the live events and content included in the ESPN+ subscription, fight fans will be able to purchase and watch UFC FIGHT PASS(R) (UFC's DTC streaming offering) and UFC PPV events via ESPN+ and within the ESPN app, for a separate cost.

ESPN will also bring fans a variety of UFC content across ESPN's widely consumed linear and digital platforms, including an exclusive, 30-minute special on ESPN's linear networks previewing upcoming bouts and breaking down match ups leading up to each UFC PPV; hundreds of hours of UFC library programming on linear networks; and re-airs of current UFC PPV events.

The ESPN App and ESPN+ are available on mobile and TV-connected devices and on ESPN.com. The new ESPN App with ESPN+ are available on devices and platforms including Amazon (Fire TV, Fire Stick, Fire Smart TVs, Fire tablets), Android (Android phones, Android TV), Apple (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and supported in the Apple TV App), Chromecast and Roku.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...sBDpVduOLGX.99
Old 05-23-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: UFC moving to ESPN in 2019

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...523-story.html

$1.5B, 5-year TV deal according to the LA Times.

Big loss for FOX Sports. UFC was one of their higher rated events, especially on FS1.

Here's their statement:

“FOX Sports has enjoyed an amazing partnership with the UFC over the last seven years,” the statement read. “As FOX Sports was planning the launch of FS1, Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta were the first partners to believe in the idea and vision of the new network. We look forward to finishing out 2018 with more exciting live events and wish the UFC continued success in the years to come.”
Old 05-23-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad...I was enjoying never watching anything on ESPN for lo these many years (save for NCAA football, because - I mean c'mon, I'm not insane). Now I've got to find it on my dial during February - August. Then again, if the fight cards continue their downward trend in quality maybe that won't be necessary.
Old 05-23-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I appreciate this. Will make it easier to find and watch fights as a casual fan. I never saw any promoting for the free fight nights on FS1, so I rarely watched them. I am sure ESPN will promote the fuck out of this.
Old 05-24-18, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the first piece of good news the UFC has had in awhile.

I live in Canada so it won't really effect how I watch.

Hopefully their first ESPN Main Event will be the caliber of their first FOX ME.
Old 05-24-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if you don't subscribe to ESPN+ (or Fight Pass, in other words) it's 10 fight nights and 12 prelims. Meh.

I'll go along to Buffalo Wild Wings if there's a big pay-per-view on. Otherwise I'm done spending extra cash on the UFC.
Old 05-24-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And all the good fights will be on pay per view.
Old 05-25-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$1.5 billion sounds like ESPN overpaid.
Old 05-25-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
And all the good fights will be on pay per view.
That just isn't the case. PPV cards are usually better, but they have always put good fights on the tv cards.
Old 05-25-18, 03:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I appreciate this. Will make it easier to find and watch fights as a casual fan. I never saw any promoting for the free fight nights on FS1, so I rarely watched them. I am sure ESPN will promote the fuck out of this.
I'm not a very crazy fan , But it was enough to irritate me
Old 05-25-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Me: " Oh cool free UFC event coming on this evening. Turns to FS1: nope not on there. Maybe FS2, nada. Ok its gotta be on Fox. Nope not on Fox either. I know, its on FX , shit. Where the hell is it?! Ahh there it is on FXX.
Old 05-25-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Me: " Oh cool free UFC event coming on this evening. Turns to FS1: nope not on there. Maybe FS2, nada. Ok its gotta be on Fox. Nope not on Fox either. I know, its on FX , shit. Where the hell is it?! Ahh there it is on FXX.
You next year: " Oh cool free UFC event coming on this evening. Turns to ESPN2: nope not on there. Maybe ESPN3, nada. Ok its gotta be on ESPN. Nope not on ESPN either. I know, its on ESPN+ , shit. Where the hell is it?! Ahh there it is on Fight Pass."
Old 05-26-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
$1.5 billion sounds like ESPN overpaid.
Agree, when was the last time they had a quality fight?
Old 06-11-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't we already have a thread for this?

Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?
Old 03-19-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-for-u-s-fans/

ESPN+ to become the exclusive PPV home for UFC.

Deal runs through 2025. Meaning you need to purchase say UFC XXX through the app.
Old 03-19-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-for-u-s-fans/

ESPN+ to become the exclusive PPV home for UFC.

Deal runs through 2025. Meaning you need to purchase say UFC XXX through the app.
Risky move here by UFC. So now, besides having to pay for the PPV, people will also have to pay an ESPN+ sub to access that PPV. Let's see how this goes, but I don't see how many more people are going to go through these lengths to get the UFC PPV. This cuts Dish, Direct TV and Cable. I see people accessing these events through other illegal means.
Old 03-20-19, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cost of the PPV has been reduced by the cost of the ESPN+ subscription, so it's not costing anyone any more money to order a PPV, it's just a case of whether they want to go through the trouble of signing up for ANOTHER service with a monthly fee.
Old 03-20-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
The cost of the PPV has been reduced by the cost of the ESPN+ subscription, so it's not costing anyone any more money to order a PPV, it's just a case of whether they want to go through the trouble of signing up for ANOTHER service with a monthly fee.
There are other couple of issues they aren't concerning themselves about, like what about bars and restaurants that show these PPV. They used to have to pay thousands of dollars to show the PPV. Will they only have to pay the ESPN + fee plus the PPV $60 fee and that's it? These places don't have to go through their cable or satellite provider now to order this. Also, what about the people in the middle of nowhere with shitty internet service? There are thousands of people in farm areas who order PPV through satellite feeds and now they won't be able to.
Old 03-22-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
There are other couple of issues they aren't concerning themselves about, like what about bars and restaurants that show these PPV. They used to have to pay thousands of dollars to show the PPV. Will they only have to pay the ESPN + fee plus the PPV $60 fee and that's it? These places don't have to go through their cable or satellite provider now to order this. Also, what about the people in the middle of nowhere with shitty internet service? There are thousands of people in farm areas who order PPV through satellite feeds and now they won't be able to.
What about watching at sports bars or restaurants?

That, too, will stay the same. The UFC has retained the rights to sell its PPV cards commercially, so fans can still go to Buffalo Wild Wings or the local sports bar to watch the fights. This could be very important for people who don’t have good internet connection in their area and are unable to stream ESPN+.

“As a part of this deal, we wanted to make sure that was still available to our fans,” Epstein said. “None of that should change.”