Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Make your way-too-early AL playoff predictions (pick 5)
Red Sox (28-12)
81.82%
Yankees (28-12)
81.82%
Blue Jays (21-20)
0
0%
Rays (16-22)
0
0%
Indians (21-20)
63.64%
Twins (17-19)
18.18%
Tigers (17-22)
0
0%
Astros (26-16)
90.91%
Angels (24-16)
90.91%
Mariners (22-17)
18.18%
A's (19-21)
9.09%
Other
0
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Old 05-14-18, 10:16 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,675
2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Reserved
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-14-18, 11:18 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,917
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

I'm not breaking the mold with my picks for the poll.

Red Sox and Yankees both look great and will win the division and 1st WC.

Astros are defending champs and have had a great start to their season - I think they'll win the division.

I think you can slot in the Angels for the 2nd WC with competition from Toronto and Seattle. Ultimately, I don't think Toronto is good enough in a tough division and Seattle... well, they seem to always fall apart.

My upset is the Twins taking a hotly contested Central division over the Indians.
Goat3001 is offline  
Old 05-14-18, 02:41 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Someone has to win the AL Central. I think someone didn't pick a Central winner.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-14-18, 02:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,675
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Someone has to win the AL Central. I think someone didn't pick a Central winner.
Probably DaveNinja picking his beloved A's along with three other teams from the West.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-14-18, 03:03 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,675
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

I'm watching the game with the Braves at bat, and I hear the announcer say "Double play ball" just before my connection goes out. I restart MLB.tv only to find that the "double play ball" had sneaked through the infield for a hit then Jose Bautista hit a three-run homer. Quintana continues to be terrible.

I didn't even realize Bautista had been called up. I guess the third-base thing is going well enough.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-14-18, 05:18 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Clara, California
Posts: 10,202
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Looks like Bautista has played in 10 games so far. He's not hitting for average (just 5 hits in 29 at bats so far), but the last two have been homers. Hopefully this means he's starting to heat up, but I'm keeping my expectations in check.
shizawn is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 12:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,773
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Woah, Robinson Cano is a roider:

Gotta assume that means he is done this year. Since he's on DL, that won't count for suspension time.
Deftones is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 01:07 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,675
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Wow, that's big, sucky news. I guess the Mariners can still hang around the wildcard fringes, but their window for a championship is probably gone.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 01:22 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,773
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Interesting, I guess DL stints to count toward suspension time. I always thought it didn't. So he is only out 80 games starting today.
Deftones is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 01:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,190
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

So I guess you could say Cano caught a lucky break.

Sure didn't see that one coming. And he's usually listed when folks try to predict future Hall of Famers.
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 01:47 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,917
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Interesting, I guess DL stints to count toward suspension time. I always thought it didn't. So he is only out 80 games starting today.
I guess it makes sense to count DL time towards the suspension. If they didn't, teams would work around the suspension and not put a guy on the DL or not put him back on after the 15 days.

He tested positive for Furosemide... which is a drug I give my cat to treat his congestive heart failure.
Goat3001 is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 02:55 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Looks like Bautista has played in 10 games so far. He's not hitting for average (just 5 hits in 29 at bats so far), but the last two have been homers. Hopefully this means he's starting to heat up, but I'm keeping my expectations in check.
Bautista still has the bat speed but it looks like he has a much tougher time making contact these days. He's looked okay as a Brave, but he's a poor 3B defender. Now that the Braves are making a serious challenge this season, I'm not sure he'll be around for the season.

Honestly, I am not that surprised that Cano got popped for PEDs. If you ever got a good look at Cano, he's one of the most heavily muscled infielders in the league.

I'm not sure how this will affect his Hall chances. He was pretty much a lock to go in with a couple of more decent seasons before today. But I suspect voters will eventually let him in even with today's PED bust. Remember, David Ortiz is likely to get in and his PED taint appears to have been forgiven.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 02:59 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,387
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

I don't know what will happen to Cano since he has 5 more years on his contract plus another 5 year wait after that. I imagine some PED guys will be in by then but Cano will be a different case because there were actual PED rules in place by MLB when he was suspended. Some give Ortiz a pass because it was based on a test that would have never resulted in suspension since there wasn't rules in place.
BrewCrew is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 03:06 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,780
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Wow, that's big, sucky news. I guess the Mariners can still hang around the wildcard fringes, but their window for a championship is probably gone.
I think it was gone when.....wait, who left first, Griffy, A-Rod or Randy Johnson?
Decker is online now  
Old 05-15-18, 04:32 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,047
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
He tested positive for Furosemide... which is a drug I give my cat to treat his congestive heart failure.
Sure ... a likely story You just want to give your cat a performance edge!

At first it seemed odd that a drug used to lower blood pressure is banned. Reading up on it, it's not a PED. Furosemide is a diuretic (makes you urinate more, lowering body fluid levels and lowering blood pressure). But since it's good at "flushing" fluids from your body, people who take PEDs take Furosemide since it will lower detectable traces of the PEDs from their blood more quickly.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm not sure how this will affect his Hall chances. He was pretty much a lock to go in with a couple of more decent seasons before today. But I suspect voters will eventually let him in even with today's PED bust. Remember, David Ortiz is likely to get in and his PED taint appears to have been forgiven.
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I don't know what will happen to Cano since he has 5 more years on his contract plus another 5 year wait after that. I imagine some PED guys will be in by then but Cano will be a different case because there were actual PED rules in place by MLB when he was suspended. Some give Ortiz a pass because it was based on a test that would have never resulted in suspension since there wasn't rules in place.
Yeah, I think the fact that Cano is getting suspended kills his HoF chances (at least until there's signs of PED guys getting in).

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I think it was gone when.....wait, who left first, Griffy, A-Rod or Randy Johnson?
To be fair, they won 116 games in Ichiro's first season when all three of those guys were gone (though that was the last season they made the playoffs).
brainee is offline  
Old 05-15-18, 10:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Clara, California
Posts: 10,202
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

3 days in a row the Braves gave up runs in the 9th. It was bound to bite them in the ass.
shizawn is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 12:35 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,298
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
3 days in a row the Braves gave up runs in the 9th. It was bound to bite them in the ass.
Sounds like the Angels. Such shitty bullpen management by Scioscia.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 12:47 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,357
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
3 days in a row the Braves gave up runs in the 9th. It was bound to bite them in the ass.
They got robbed in today's game. The umpires made a bad call at the plate and it was upheld and then in the same inning there was another bad call at third but they couldn't review it since they were out of challenges.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 07:06 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,490
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Tigers are a game out of first in the Central... how bad is that division this year? I fully expect the Indians to start hitting and wipe everybody out by July 1.
I can't help but think how much Gardenhire could have helped the Tigers playoff runs the past 4 years when we suffered thru Ausmus.
Rob V is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 10:27 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,302
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

another reason to fire Mike Matheny:

he keeps giving Matt Carpenter at-bats towards the top of the order.

asshole has more strikeouts than total bases.
B.A. is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 11:15 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,675
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I think it was gone when.....wait, who left first, Griffy, A-Rod or Randy Johnson?
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
To be fair, they won 116 games in Ichiro's first season when all three of those guys were gone (though that was the last season they made the playoffs).
I find it hard to argue with Decker. Cano was signed to give legitimacy to the organization and to the front office at the time, then when Nelson Cruz turned out better than expected and Kyle Seager developed, and Felix was still Felix, they had some strong core pieces and tried to supplement those to make a run. But even then the Mariners weren't even the best team in their division (first the Rangers, then the Astros). Yes, there was that one year when they were a trendy pick to win it all, but we know how that worked out.

The good news is that the current team has some expiring parts, but they do feel younger than they've been in recent years.

The 2001 team was great and fun to watch, but they fell short. That was less of a disappointment than the fact that they fell off a cliff after that and never got back.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 01:09 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
They got robbed in today's game. The umpires made a bad call at the plate and it was upheld and then in the same inning there was another bad call at third but they couldn't review it since they were out of challenges.
That replay review call was criminal. MLB basically stole a run and two outs from the Braves in the game.

I'll remember this game when the Braves lose the division by one game.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-16-18, 11:08 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,302
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

it's been thirty years since The Jose Oquendo Game:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/5/...ny-could-learn
B.A. is offline  
Old 05-17-18, 07:53 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,387
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
another reason to fire Mike Matheny:

he keeps giving Matt Carpenter at-bats towards the top of the order.

asshole has more strikeouts than total bases.
Wow, didn't realize Carpenter was that bad. It seems that managers tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the veteran franchise players even if they don't deserve it. When Ryan Braun plays Counsell always puts him in the 3 hole no matter what.
BrewCrew is offline  
Old 05-17-18, 09:23 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,302
Re: 2018 MLB Week 7 May 14-20

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Wow, didn't realize Carpenter was that bad. It seems that managers tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the veteran franchise players even if they don't deserve it. When Ryan Braun plays Counsell always puts him in the 3 hole no matter what.
Something isn't right with his back going back to last season.

He doesn't foul off pitches like he used to, etc.
B.A. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.