Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-10-18, 06:12 AM   #726
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2018 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Sixers front office believes LeBron’s team “strongly considered “ going to Philly before signing with the Lakers almost immediately after free agency began. Congrats, I guess?
I don't believe that as I gave up hope once Magic said he would quit as GM if he didn't sign any big time free agents. He never would have said that if he wasn't 100% sure, the same way he said 2 years ago at the draft lottery he was 100% sure they would get a top 3 pick so it wouldn't go to the Sixers (I think the NBA has to tell him to stop making these tongue and cheek remarks because it confirms for many people about conspiracy theories to get certain teams good). These guys all talk and Lebron was probably committed to going to LA as far back as the trade deadline when Magic made those trades with Cleveland to free up cap space. I think Lebron loves the attention (like most great athletes) and his reps met with the Sixers to keep everyone in suspense.
Old 07-10-18, 07:39 AM   #727
DVD Talk Special Edition

LeBron's LA Mural Vandalized

Kind of funny and sad.One thing for sure he makes the NBA more interesting.

First his house gets vandalized and now this. They really don't like him in La.
Old 07-10-18, 08:25 AM   #728
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
First his house gets vandalized and now this. They really don't like him in La.
(1) There are millions of Angelinos.... it only takes one with can of spray paint to vandalize an outdoor wall painting.
(2) Of those millions of Angelinos, several thousand of them are undoubtedly Cleveland transplants.

There are LOTS of reasons to disparage those who choose to live in Los Angeles, but implying that EVERYBODY has the same opinion about a local sports hero because of the actions of a very few is doing them an injustice.
Old 07-10-18, 08:45 AM   #729
DVD Talk Legend

Losing both Ariza and mbah a moute is actually a pretty big blow to the Rockets. Mbah a moute was injured at the end of the season and didn't do much in the playoffs, but was still part of the short rotation Dantoni employed in the conference finals. I'm not sure Carmelo's offense offsets their defense even if they do get him.

I'm fairly sure you won't find many Lakers fans who still hate Lebron now. On a side note, I passed that paul George billboard the other day on the 710... man I know Imrani paid big bucks for those but take 'em down.
Old 07-10-18, 10:55 AM   #730
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Is the Rockets GM a Warriors fan
Old 07-10-18, 11:15 AM   #731
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
(1) There are millions of Angelinos.... it only takes one with can of spray paint to vandalize an outdoor wall painting.
(2) Of those millions of Angelinos, several thousand of them are undoubtedly Cleveland transplants.

There are LOTS of reasons to disparage those who choose to live in Los Angeles, but implying that EVERYBODY has the same opinion about a local sports hero because of the actions of a very few is doing them an injustice.
What does this have to do with what was actually posted?
Old 07-10-18, 12:03 PM   #732
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
What does this have to do with what was actually posted?
what was posted was "they really don't like him in LA". I thought Ken's post was a legit and direct response to that broad statement.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-10-18, 01:12 PM   #733
DVD Talk Godfather

Remember, if you're a So. Cal resident, free pizza at Blaze Pizza today from 2-5pm courtesy of LeBron.

LeBron is a minority owner and spokesman.

There's one near where I live, I'll take free food anytime.
Old 07-10-18, 01:26 PM   #734
DVD Talk Legend

Lines are always out the door at Blaze pizza when they do these free promos (at least in LA). I have one right down the street and I think they've done a free pizza promo like three times.
Old 07-10-18, 01:39 PM   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://twitter.com/BlazePizza/statu...12115468398593

Remember, if you're a So. Cal resident, free pizza at Blaze Pizza today from 2-5pm courtesy of LeBron.

LeBron is a minority owner and spokesman.

There's one near where I live, I'll take free food anytime.
Damn, I never heard of this. That's a brilliant marketing move for an up and coming franchise...Wish I lived in So. Cal...

In other news, I'm disappointed in the rumours that the Rockets are interested in Anthony. I think he'd experience the same issues that he experienced in OKC, despite him being tight with Paul. Between Paul and Harden (who, I'll give, turned out to play quite well together when Paul wasn't injured), I don't see Carmelo getting the number of touches he craves. Not sure why, but I still have a sneaking suspicion that Carmelo ends up in a Lakers uniform alongside Lebron...And they won't have to pay him much as he cleaned up when the Thunder bought him out...
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him." - James Ellroy
Old 07-10-18, 01:47 PM   #736
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm Melo, I'm either looking to win a championship or looking for an opportunity to rehabilitate my image and value in the league (which means, if not an outright starter at least an opportunity to put up a lot of empty stats). I'm not sure the Lakers can give him either one.
Old 07-10-18, 01:53 PM   #737
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I would love for Carmelo to come here, I think his best bet is to come off the bench for Houston.
Old 07-10-18, 02:02 PM   #738
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
As much as I would love for Carmelo to come here, I think his best bet is to come off the bench for Houston.
That's the thing, he has been pretty clear that he doesn't see himself as a bench player.

And him playing for D'Antoni again???

I get why Houston wants him, given his friendship with Paul, their loss of two wings, and their need to reload for another shot at the GSWs, but this looks like trouble.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-10-18, 02:28 PM   #739
DVD Talk Legend

The man who threw "the punch" gets sentenced to prison: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-charity-fraud

Old 07-10-18, 02:31 PM   #740
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
what was posted was "they really don't like him in LA". I thought Ken's post was a legit and direct response to that broad statement.
If you say so. I believe intent matters and I don't think anybody could honestly say Joey was intending to state that everybody in LA already loves Lebron. Especially since the area has two NBA teams.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for something good to happen when it comes to a team becoming somebody that would be projected to best GS. LA/Lebron was supposed to be our one hope. People keep bringing up the Rockets partial success, but for me it all falls into that category of never knowing what will happen when injuries start occurring. And now the Rockets have started getting worse, not better.
Old 07-10-18, 03:39 PM   #741
DVD Talk Special Edition

Melo could be abetter version of as a 6th man for Houston similiar to what Jamal Crawford was for LAC, but I think ego,pride and or delusion won't let that happen. Dude could be a 25 minute 15 ppg beasting on 2nd unit's
Old 07-10-18, 03:44 PM   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
That's the thing, he has been pretty clear that he doesn't see himself as a bench player.

And him playing for D'Antoni again???

I get why Houston wants him, given his friendship with Paul, their loss of two wings, and their need to reload for another shot at the GSWs, but this looks like trouble.
That's exactly my point. I can't see him coming off the bench, and the Lakers have enough young players that I can see them more or less being forced to come off the bench for at least a year (in lieu of Carmelo being granted a starting role)...I don't know who their starting line-up would be...Guessing? Lebron, Ball, Carmelo, Kuzma, and...Ingram? Is he still there?

On the other hand, Rondo (who I love) is a pro and shouldn't have a problem coming off the bench...I also can imagine a scenario where Lebron requests to play with Rondo more than he does with Ball...So I wouldn't be surprised if Ball and Rondo split their minutes quite a bit...
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him." - James Ellroy

Last edited by Goonies85; 07-10-18 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 07-10-18, 03:49 PM   #743
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest question is why does Lebron already have a mural in LA? What if he never wins one championship as a Laker?
Old 07-10-18, 03:50 PM   #744
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't even think about the D'Antoni thing, although apparently D'Antoni would be fine with it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...oining-rockets

That said, replacing two more athletic and defensive minded wings with Melo doesn't seem great, since offense isn't really a problem with Houston and Melo spotting up waiting for Paul/Harden to do their thing seems too much like what he was reduced to in OKC that he hated.

I don't know about the Lakers, they're looking at Ball/KCP/Ingram/Lebron/McGee??? but Melo would really cut in to time for Ingram and Kuzma.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-11-18, 02:56 AM   #745
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post

I was lazy..my bad. Most of my post was just copy and paste from NBA insidehoops forum post.
Seems Bron gets a lot of hate over their.

Just seems like his move to LAL is more about his after basketball career.
I did not know about Space Jam II until a few days ago.

Just want to watch some good finals and playoff series next year and beyond.
Old 07-11-18, 08:17 AM   #746
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The biggest question is why does Lebron already have a mural in LA? What if he never wins one championship as a Laker?
I mean, it's a mural someone drew on a wall. It's not a statue outside of Staples Center or anything.

As for the Warriors and other teams stepping up, they might as well repurpose this episode of Game of Zones (with some slight changes) next season:

However, Klay is up next year, Draymond is up the year after (along with Iggy and Livingston who they will be aging out), Durant is on one and ones and Steph, as much as he's worth it, will be making 40 million plus a year by that point. I realize the new stadium is going to increase revenue but the repeater tax is also going to kill them, so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it together and/or *shudder* reload with someone like AD.
Old 07-11-18, 08:55 AM   #747
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Melo could be abetter version of as a 6th man for Houston similiar to what Jamal Crawford was for LAC, but I think ego,pride and or delusion won't let that happen. Dude could be a 25 minute 15 ppg beasting on 2nd unit's
I agree as coming off the bench as a 6th man is not the same as certain reserves on the team. The pundits talk about it all of the time and it's not who starts the game, it's who is out there for the last 5-6 minutes that matters. Carmelo is a liability on Defense so he can't play 40 minute anymore. But he is the perfect guy to give you 20-25 minutes and some scoring punch in crunchtime. Iverson did the same shit at the end of his career as he couldn't swallow his pride as he could have stuck around 2-3 more years as a good reserve off the bench.
Old 07-11-18, 10:16 AM   #748
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I agree as coming off the bench as a 6th man is not the same as certain reserves on the team. The pundits talk about it all of the time and it's not who starts the game, it's who is out there for the last 5-6 minutes that matters. Carmelo is a liability on Defense so he can't play 40 minute anymore. But he is the perfect guy to give you 20-25 minutes and some scoring punch in crunchtime. Iverson did the same shit at the end of his career as he couldn't swallow his pride as he could have stuck around 2-3 more years as a good reserve off the bench.
Melo was right there watching Iverson decline as well.

I know Carmelo has always been more focused on offense, but is he really that bad on defense, or is it his effort/motivation? Iverson's problem is similar to IT where he just physically couldn't guard shooting guards and taller point guards... he could amass steals but unless he had an Eric Snow to switch with him on d, he was very limited. Carmelo should still have enough athleticism to be decent on defense.
Old 07-11-18, 10:36 AM   #749
DVD Talk Legend

I think with Melo it was always about effort. I remember watching him as a freshman at Syracuse, and he made some plays that showed tremendous basketball instinct, and he should have enough athleticism. But for far too long he's relied on his natural scoring ability, and not athleticism or effort.

Old 07-11-18, 04:59 PM   #750
DVD Talk Godfather

Josh Hart has been really lighting it up on the Summer league. He's like the 3rd leading summer league scorer.

I'm guessing this season he essentially takes over what Jordan Clarkson did in the rotation.

Pelinka had a press conference this morning, but nothing was really said that hasn't already been reported. One reporter asked if we will hear from LeBron and he said that's up to him and his management team.