Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2018 NHL Off-Season Thread

Old 04-09-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2018 NHL Off-Season Thread

Well, the past two years, I've started this thread with news about the Vegas Golden Knights, but this year, amazingly I can't.

Let's put any non-Playoff news here moving forward.
Old 04-09-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2018 NHL Off-Season Thread

Alain Vigneault was fired by the Rangers after their last game.

Patrick Sharp officially retired today.
Old 04-09-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Islanders look to be sticking with Garth Snow and Doug Weight. I gave ownership a break last year because the strong run at the end of the season gave weight (no pun intended) that the problems with the team stemmed from Jack Capuano.

Then this season happened.

New ownership, just like the old ownership, does not seem to give a flying fuck about putting a worthwhile team on the ice.

Good luck, wherever you go, John Tavares. You deserve better.
Old 04-09-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post

Good luck, wherever you go, John Tavares. You deserve better.
All season I'd been reading that the young core and new arena made it likely that he would stay. Are you hearing differently now?
Old 04-09-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-09-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
All season I'd been reading that the young core and new arena made it likely that he would stay. Are you hearing differently now?
No, nothing specific and JT has continued to say all the "right" things.

I do believe the stadium deal and emergence of guys like Barzal help. But the team was utterly disappointing this year and if you're a star player you want to see changes. And change starts at the top and that's not happening. So why stick around?
Old 04-13-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ken Hitchcock retired from coaching today.
Old 04-13-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the NHL interested in putting a second team in Toronto?

Anything new with Houston?

I could see a second team in Toronto if they decide to give Houston an expansion team.

Since Las Vegas was successful,I wouldn't think the NHL wouldn't say no to further expansion.
Old 04-13-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Is the NHL interested in putting a second team in Toronto?

Anything new with Houston?

I could see a second team in Toronto if they decide to give Houston an expansion team.

Since Las Vegas was successful,I wouldn't think the NHL wouldn't say no to further expansion.
They will be expanding to 32 teams -- into the renovated Key Arena in Seattle. The ticket drive was a resounding success.

Current thinking is that the Carolina Hurricaines are likely to relocate either to Houston or to Quebec. There's also a chance that the Coyotes relocate.
Old 04-22-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am posting this article here because even though it's about the Golden Knights, it's mostly about how other NHL teams' front offices screwed up in allowing it to happen.

The grim truth on the supposedly ‘rigged’ expansion draft
Old 04-29-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sabres win the Dahlin sweepstakes!

And Carolina went from 11th all the way to 2nd. That's crazy.
Old 05-24-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharks sign Evander Kane for 7 @ $7 million AAV. That's a little higher than I would have liked and it probably puts them out of the running for Tavares.
Old 05-24-18, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Sharks sign Evander Kane for 7 @ $7 million AAV. That's a little higher than I would have liked and it probably puts them out of the running for Tavares.
This one actually surprised me. I knew it was rumoured a couple of days ago, but I still had a feeling that Kane would hold out for something ridiculous like $8.5+ per year (and as preposterous as that sounds, I'm pretty sure there would've been a couple desperate teams that would've made that type of offer)...I figure he signed this cause he loves being in California...And in all honesty, despite his previous character issues (i.e. arrests, fights with teammates), I feel like he's matured a bit and I think this is a good deal for the Sharks...Best of luck to him...Now just hoping that they manage to sign Thornton to a cheaper one-year deal than what he made last year...

Now the main thing to look forward to is to wait and see where Tavares signs...I still feel like he's going to ultimately stick with the Islanders...Especially because of the success he had this year with his line mates...If they improve their defence and sign a decent goalie, they should make the playoffs next year...
Old 06-05-18, 02:47 PM

So Doug Weight and Garth Snow have been relieved by Lou...Looks like Lou's son is going to be groomed to be the next GM of the Islanders...A little surprised that he let Weight go (even though he's still supposed to have some sort of a supporting role), because I thought, based on a lot of reports, that Tavares really got along with him...It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Tavares sweepstakes...I still assume he'll resign with the Islanders but it's going to cost them...I predict a contract somewhere around 8-years for $88 million, with a cap hit around $11 mil per year...I don't think he'll take anything less based on their arena situation and the fact that they have a lot of cap space...The only other team I can see sweeping in and making a crazy deal would be the Sharks...But that might involve them not signing Thornton, or else signing him to a minimum one-year deal for $2.5-4 million for one year...
Old 06-05-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Well this offseason started with a lot of gloom for Islander fans but Lou has brought the light. Getting rid of Garth has been a long time coming. I'll give Garth credit where it's due -- he's been able to acquire lots of assets over the years and he's always been good for a yearly fleecing of the Oilers -- but he never knew when to cash in his chips and go for it.

That's never been a problem for Lou.

I liked Doug Weight and wished that he worked out but it simply didn't and that's ok. It makes sense for Lou to bring in his own guy anyway.

As for Tavares, reports are that Lou has been in constant contact with JT's team. I think Garth had to go anyway but I think Lou holds onto Weight if he thought it would jeopardize his chances in signing Tavares. I'm not saying this means JT will necessarily stay but I don't think it has a negative impact.
Old 06-12-18, 10:17 PM

Well, seeing as the news has broke about the issues between Karlsson and Hoffman's wives, there's no way I see Hoffman remaining in Ottawa. And if they are unable to trade him, I think Karlsson demands a trade. Really tragic story all around...I wonder how toxic Hoffman might be because of it, and how it's going to affect his trade value...
Old 06-18-18, 01:26 AM

I think the Habs are going to regret trading Galchenyuk for Domi, straight up. While I actually think Domi has more upside, I just can't believe that Bergevin didn't manage to at least get a second-rounder as well...Domi wasn't utilized properly on the Coyotes and should prosper, but the way the Canadiens are run you never really know...I can see Domi posting around 60 points over the course of the next couple of years, which should be good for a contract in the $4 million range, for about 3-4 years...
Old 06-18-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Barry Trotz has resigned as Head Coack of the Capitals a week after leading them to the Stanley Cup.

Dafuq?
Old 06-18-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Barry Trotz has resigned as Head Coack of the Capitals a week after leading them to the Stanley Cup.

Dafuq?
Vermeil'd!
Old 06-18-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dafuq?
Apparently it was money related.

Though the odd thing is that his contract was expiring anyway -- it's weird that he'd choose to resign two weeks early.
Old 06-18-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Apparently it was money related.

Though the odd thing is that his contract was expiring anyway -- it's weird that he'd choose to resign two weeks early.
I thought it had to do with a performance clause kicking in for a two year extension, but at only a modest pay increase. But, yeah, looks like he simply wants more money.
Old 06-18-18, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Islanders still have a coaching vacancy and the biggest potential Free Agent on the market. They have to be ecstatic how things have played out.
Old 06-19-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hoffman ended up getting traded twice today, first to the Sharks, then to the Panthers. Sharks free up space by trading away Boedker and get a couple extra picks in the deal.

Maybe they're still in the running for Tavares after all.
Old 06-19-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Hoffman ended up getting traded twice today, first to the Sharks, then to the Panthers. Sharks free up space by trading away Boedker and get a couple extra picks in the deal.

Maybe they're still in the running for Tavares after all.
Analysis of the trade, from The Atheletic. (You will like it)

The​ Trade(s)

1.​ The Senators send​ forward​ Mike Hoffman,​ defenseman​ Cody​ Donaghey and a 2020 fifth-round​ pick)​ to​ the​ San​​ Jose Sharks in return for forward Mikkel Boedker, defenseman Julius Bergman and a 2020 sixth-round pick.

2. The Sharks send Hoffman and a 2018 seventh-round pick to the Florida Panthers for a 2019 second-round pick, 2018 fourth-round pick (formerly Vegas’ pick) and 2018 fifth-round pick.

Spoiler:
San Jose Sharks: A-plus

This was an inspired series of moves for Sharks GM Doug Wilson. He took advantage of a team that appeared unwilling to deal within the division, or at least asking a premium of those teams, and struck a deal for a player he knew had higher value.

Wilson, without a lot of fanfare, tends to use every avenue available to improve the Sharks, from offer sheets to creative trades like this one. We can’t ignore that signing Boedker was a sizable free agent miss for Wilson in 2016, but the fact that he was able to get out of it during a time in which he’s expecting to be aggressive in free agency negates that miss. Too often, managers compound problems after a sunk cost and Wilson cut bait at the right time here on Boedker. The Sharks were already a front-runner in the John Tavares sweepstakes if he doesn’t sign with the Islanders, and this gives Wilson even more flexibility on that front. According to CapFriendly, the Sharks are sitting at a cap hit of $63.5 million, with new deals needed for Joe Thornton, Tomas Hertl and Chris Tierney. That’s more than enough to make significant additions this off-season with the cap expected to come in around $80 million.

This trade also softens the loss of the first-round pick in the Evander Kane trade from the 2019 draft. San Jose now has two-second rounders in 2019 to either use as ammunition around the trade deadline or to try and get back into the first round next year.

The Sharks lose defenseman Julius Bergman in this exchange but that’s pretty minimal. When asked to assess his NHL projection, one Western Conference NHL scout put it this way: “Bergman at least has a chance (at the NHL). We have him as a ‘might-play’ defenseman.”

The Athletic’s prospect analyst Corey Pronman was in the same neighborhood, projecting him as a third-pair or seventh defensemen at the NHL level: “Bergman’s a fine depth guy. Has some offense to him, moves puck fine, decent defensively.”

Florida Panthers: B

If we’re evaluating this strictly in terms of assets given up to acquire an NHL talent, this is a strong trade for GM Dale Tallon and the Panthers.

Hoffman fills a real need on a team that should push for a playoff spot this year. In a league where it’s tough to score, he’s a legitimate 30-goal candidate. He had more points than higher-profile wingers like Kane, James van Riemsdyk and Jeff Skinner, and put up 22 goals despite shooting just 8.6 percent.

As a player, there’s a lot to like.

“He’ll bring what he brought to any lineup — that’s goal-scoring and his shot,” said the NHL scout. “He has a wonderful shot and a knack for scoring goals. That’s what he does better than lots of people.”

The Panthers had a power play that finished in the bottom third of the league last year, converting at a rate of just 18.9 percent. Hoffman and his one-timer provide an immediate boost there, something Tallon noted on his conference call following the trade.

“Our power play will be better,” Tallon said. “Great shot and speed. … It’s hard to find guys who can score goals in this game.”

Chances are, the Panthers weren’t getting a 60-point guy with the draft picks they sent to the Sharks. Hoffman is also signed at a pretty reasonable $5.2 million per season through 2019-20, a deal Tallon wasn’t going to find in unrestricted free agency

Those are the positives.

The reason Hoffman was so readily available? His off-ice issues and accusations that his fiancee, Monika Caryk, long harassed Erik Karlsson and his wife, Melinda, prompting the latter to file for an order of protection against Caryk. Among the more horrific examples cited in the reports that surfaced was that Caryk allegedly posted abusive comments online following the Karlssons’ announcement that their son, Axel, was stillborn. Hoffman denied the accusations.

There will certainly be less attention on the issue in South Florida, but the Panthers are acquiring a player whose reputation as a teammate is less than sterling.

Historically, Tallon has been a general manager who has valued how personalities will fit into a dressing room. He said he did his homework before acquiring Hoffman.

“We discussed it with a lot of different people. We feel that’s in the past,” Tallon said. “We’re confident he’ll be embraced by our team and wives and girlfriends.”

Ottawa Senators: F

The initial trade to the Sharks was bad enough but at least understandable. You could argue that the Senators want to keep Karlsson and were sending a message by dealing away Hoffman at the best available price. What followed wasn’t a good look for the Senators.

According to Tallon, he spoke with the Senators last week about a Hoffman trade but the price was too high. There wasn’t a fit since the Senators wanted players and not picks, which is puzzling in its own right.

According to an NHL source, the crux of the problem was trading in division and that the Senators were instructed not to make a deal within the division. That’s a bad policy anyways and that Hoffman ended up in Florida makes it even worse. This is a classic mismanagement of an asset, even one as devalued as Hoffman.

The expectation is that Bergman’s best-case scenario is as a bottom pair defenseman, so the only way to redemption is through Boedker. He’s coming off a 15-goal season and put up 37 points. He’s got some speed and skill but tends to be an underachiever.

“I’m not a big Boedker fan,” said an NHL scout. “He had a little bit of a decent spell this year, which is worse for Ottawa because I don’t expect him to see that decent spell again. He’s got all sorts of ability, but he’s a frustrating player for me. He won’t engage in the physical side of anything. Skill and skating, he’s quite gifted. Defensively, he’s not so gifted. He’s not so interested there.”

One source suggested, as is often the case with Ottawa, the primary motivation here might have been money and not off-ice issues. Boedker has a cap hit of $4 million but an actual salary of $3 million annually the next two years. If you’re a financially strapped team trying to get to the salary cap floor, that’s the best way to get there — with cap hits higher than actual salary. On the flip side, Hoffman’s actual annual salary ($5.65 million) is higher than his cap hit.

“From everything I’ve heard over the last two years, everything is about money in Ottawa,” said the source. “If they can save a dollar, they will save a dollar.”
Old 06-21-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
I thought it had to do with a performance clause kicking in for a two year extension, but at only a modest pay increase. But, yeah, looks like he simply wants more money.
That is correct and I made my post before I read about that part. Now it makes sense why he chose to resign right before his contract was due for an automatic extension.

The Islanders still have a coaching vacancy and the biggest potential Free Agent on the market. They have to be ecstatic how things have played out.
I can tell you that their fans are ecstatic. After a ridiculously tone-deaf statement from ownership at the beginning of the off season, things have turned up aces ever since.

There's still skepticism, as it goes with being a fan of this team, but after the draft the Islanders could have a new goalie or top pair defenseman (via draft day trade, they have the assets), they could have Tavares locked up for the rest of his career and they could have a Stanley Cup winning coach. Not at all what I thought would happen just 2 months ago.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.