Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Baseball -- How many games do you watch of your favorite team?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: How many games do you watch of your favorite team (on TV and at the ballpark)?
All 162
3.57%
100-161
35.71%
90-100
10.71%
80-90
3.57%
70-80
0%
60-70
0%
50-60
3.57%
40-50
0%
Under 40
35.71%
Only care about playoffs and World Series -- Only a casual fan
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Baseball is a long ass season with 162 games.

Just curious of those here who are fans and follow the game, how many games do you watch roughly of your favorite team? This is going to the ball park and watching them on TV.

For most, I know it's next to impossible to watch an entire 162 game season at anywhere from 3-5 hours per game.

But if you're a die hard fan and do than kudos to you man.

Or are you only a casual fan and only watch postseason and the World Series?

As I post this thread tonight at 11:10pm PT, I'm watching the Dodgers and D-Backs and that game is in extra innings and approaching 5 hours long

Last edited by DJariya; 04-03-18 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Baseball -- How many games do you watch of your favorite team?

I usually end up watching about 60 to 70 games start to finish and at least parts of most of the rest (turn it on in the 7th inning or watch the first few innings on the west coast late weekdays games) ... or at least the condensed game the following morning on MLB
Old 04-03-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watch every game of my 4 Philly Sport teams, but the playoffs take precedent over the regular season. I will probably watch about 140 Phillies games this year, because I'll watch the Flyers/Sixers playoff games (depending on how long a playoff run they have) the first quarter of the Phillies season. The Flyers/Sixers both missed the playoffs last year, so I pretty much watched every Phillies game, except Sunday's in September when the Eagles are on.

A 162 game season is unappealing to many of my friends (especially Football fans who only want to invest 16 Sundays and that's it). Baseball is at it's best in July/August and October. There is nothing better in the summer then having that Baseball game to fall back on every night when there is nothing on TV, or the Playoffs in the fall when it starts to get alittle cold outside.

In saying that, I'm worried about the game of Baseball and the length of these games because of over managing by these analytical guys. My Phillies are playing an average of about 4 hours per game with our new manager (Gabe Kapler) as he loves to goto the bullpen early and make a zillion moves during the game. This will be a real test to my fandom if the game continues on like this as I worry that more managers will be coaching every game like this and 3 1/2 games will be the new norm.
Old 04-03-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a run of a few years where I'd watch at least part of 150+ games. I would always find a way to work out watching a few innings at least. There was one season, somewhere between 2008-2010 where I watched part of all 162 games.

As I've gotten older, other things have taken priority but I've still managed to watch a significant part of about 100 or so games. I can watch all the weekday evening games, if they play during the day on a weekday we usually put the game on at work. It's weekend games that I usually miss out on.
Old 04-03-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a tough one to answer because I rarely watch a full game from start to finish with two kids and doing homework, getting them to bed. However I do watch a portion of most games and if not watching following the action through Twitter or MLB app.
Old 04-03-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
In saying that, I'm worried about the game of Baseball and the length of these games because of over managing by these analytical guys. My Phillies are playing an average of about 4 hours per game with our new manager (Gabe Kapler) as he loves to goto the bullpen early and make a zillion moves during the game. This will be a real test to my fandom if the game continues on like this as I worry that more managers will be coaching every game like this and 3 1/2 games will be the new norm.
It's going to make it tough but the problem is that so many solutions I've heard feel like they're bastardizing the game. It's why I'm against things like pitch clocks.

I heard a pace of play idea just yesterday that I feel I could get behind, though I admit I haven't put all that much thought into it. Injuries aside, you can't replace a pitcher mid-inning unless the previous batter reached base. This would more or less stop managers from pulling guys after an out just to play the match ups. Sure, that won't stop them from pulling a guy who just gave up a hit or walk and got no outs but if a guy isn't getting outs you shouldn't be forced to keep him in there. If the manager really wants to pull a guy mid-inning after getting an out, he'll be forced to intentionally walk the next batter.
Old 04-03-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely over 100 for me. I like having the game on in the evening even if I'm working.
Old 04-03-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch in the 0-5 range, but I'm not a true "casual fan", I follow the team fairly closely. Have a kid so don't have time to do everything I'd like, and don't have access to sports on TV.

If my team makes the playoffs, I try to catch streams of the games on my computer.
Old 04-03-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would watch more of the Cardinals if the team wasn't managed by a booger-eating moron.

And I only have so many Twins games available throughout the season.
Old 04-03-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Royals use to be on local broadcast tv, but now all the games are on Fox Sports Kansas City so I can't regularly watch them. I follow the scores, go to a few games a year, than watch them if I'm out at a bar or restaurant and they're on tv.
Old 04-03-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

If by 'watch' you include having it on the side TV at night while I'm watching other stuff, probably around 140 games - as long at they are in contention. Sometimes I'll primarily watch my team's games on my main TV on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon.
Old 04-03-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm rarely fully engaged in an entire baseball game while watching at home, but I do have them on in the background alot and probably end up watching the majority of about 60 or 70 Cardinal games per season.
Old 04-03-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I work from home and live in a region outside mlb.tv's restrictions so I really don't have an excuse to watch every game. However, my family doesn't like to watch baseball, so I can't watch in the evenings or on weekends. I can always watch a replay, but if it's a loss or a boring game I don't really feel the need. My guess is in the range of 40-50 full games. I've seen two of the first five this season.
Old 04-03-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back when the Braves were on TBS, I likely watched at least part of 100 games a year. Once that went away, my general interest in baseball started to wane. I did have MLB.tv for a couple years, and I would often have the games running in the background on my work computer. But after I stopped subscribing to that, now I can only catch them if they're on a game of the week or something.

So the current answer is probably fewer than 5. I still check the box scores daily.
Old 04-03-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I work from home and live in a region outside mlb.tv's restrictions so I really don't have an excuse to watch every game. However, my family doesn't like to watch baseball, so I can't watch in the evenings or on weekends. I can always watch a replay, but if it's a loss or a boring game I don't really feel the need. My guess is in the range of 40-50 full games. I've seen two of the first five this season.
So your wife and kids would tell you "Hell No" if you wanted to take them to Safeco for a game?

I'm guessing they would kill you if they had to endure something like last night's 5 1/2 hour game between the Dodgers and D-Backs that went until almost 1am.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-03-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So your wife and kids would tell you "Hell No" if you wanted to take them to Safeco for a game?

I'm guessing they would kill you if they had to endure something like last night's 5 1/2 hour game between the Dodgers and D-Backs that went until almost 1am.
Ha, no, getting out to games is an event, and the food is decent, so we usually catch a couple per year.
Old 04-04-18, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

162 in some seasons but my attention does fade after the 100-game mark on individual games. I got so used to the Braves having the division in hand by June or July, that August and September games became less and less interesting.
Old 04-04-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Back when the Braves were on TBS, .
Even growing up a Phillies fan, it was always cool to have the Braves on every night in case the Phillies played a day game. It was a brilliant move by Ted Turner because even though they were bad in the 80's, everyone knew the Braves players (Bob Horner, Dale Murphy, etc) because they were on every night.

In fact, before Comcast came to our area in 1997, we also got NY Channel 9 and NY Channel 11 so I got all of the Yankees and Mets games too, so I had my own free MLB Ticket back then. Then Comcast came and nixed all of those NY channels from my market and jacked up our rates......
Old 04-04-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If technology now existed when I was a kid, I'd catch every game. When I was young, I would watch every Cardinal game when they played the Cubs/Braves. And if they were an NBC game of the week, that became must-see-TV. Along with that, I'd listen to the late night games on KMOX-1120 out of St. Louis (the station wouldn't come in clearly any earlier).

Now I rarely see them play live. I'll follow along via apps, twitter, etc. Then I'll often stream highlights and such after the game has ended. Occasionally, I'll tune into the radio and it's like a blast from the past hearing a game called that way.
Old 04-04-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Usually hit up 10 or so games live per year. Helps having a friend who works for Dbacks that gets me free tix whenever I want. I will try to watch nearly every single game, or at least part of it, throughout the season. I would never say I watch 162 games of the season, but I'd say I'm probably at least in the 130 range or more.
Old 04-04-18, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

If I'm home and the Reds are on TV then I'll have the game on. I'll listen to games in the car if I'm traveling. I try to attend around 10 each year. I also try and get to some Dayton Dragons games each year.
Old 04-06-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Start to finish without any fast forwarding...few to none. But I probably watch at least some portion of 150+ Cards games a year.
Old 04-06-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Start to finish without any fast forwarding...few to none. But I probably watch at least some portion of 150+ Cards games a year.
Reminds me of another bit of technology that I wish had existed decades ago. The ability to DVR a game, start watching a bit into it and be able to avoid all commercials would have been terrific.
Old 04-06-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Reminds me of another bit of technology that I wish had existed decades ago. The ability to DVR a game, start watching a bit into it and be able to avoid all commercials would have been terrific.
I also use to avoid watching bullpen meltdowns in real time. If we get out of it sometimes I might go back and watch how we did it.
Old 04-06-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watch part of almost every game....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.