Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (HBO)

Old 02-28-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (HBO)

This show has been on for 20-something years. Does anyone else here watch this?

I know it's a magazine show, but it's probably one of the best sports journalism shows on TV. It only airs once per month, but they continue to produce quality pieces every month.

A little surprised no one has talked about it here.

I just watched the January show and it had some really excellent pieces.

They did a piece about the St. Brown brothers.

They are basically the Balls brothers of football. But, these kids seem much smarter. The brother from Notre Dame is entering the NFL Draft.

Also, they did an amazing piece about the corruption within the USOC and how the athletes were basically getting no help and ending up tens of thousands in debt. It sickened me and really soured my interest in the Winter Olympics.

They did another excellent similar piece in summer 2016 about the corruption within the IOC prior to the 2016 Games. It was really eye opening.

Great show. I know most of the sports guys here probably rarely watch studio shows, but this is a quality program.
Old 02-28-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (HBO)

I don’t have a lot of reason to watch as I only find maybe 1 out of 10 stories they do interesting enough to give it 20 minutes. Also, they often seem to decide on an angle for a story and become very one-sided in the presentation in order to support their conclusion. So I don’t care for the manipulative reporting that creeps into a lot of their stories.
Old 03-01-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I still watch it every month, I have noticed the quality has dropped in the past few years as they have gotten more political and they have actually repeated the same stories (follow up on the same story a few years later). I remember a few years ago they started having political commentary from stars at the end of the show and dropped that real quick.

Maybe the show has just run its course and there isn't many great sports 'related' stories to tell anymore, but they used to have some really great unique personal stories when it was in it's prime. Each month they have 3 segments, and usually 1 really interests me and maybe the other 2 are somewhat interesting.
Old 03-01-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
While I still watch it every month, I have noticed the quality has dropped in the past few years as they have gotten more political and they have actually repeated the same stories (follow up on the same story a few years later). I remember a few years ago they started having political commentary from stars at the end of the show and dropped that real quick.

Maybe the show has just run its course and there isn't many great sports 'related' stories to tell anymore, but they used to have some really great unique personal stories when it was in it's prime. Each month they have 3 segments, and usually 1 really interests me and maybe the other 2 are somewhat interesting.
Yeah I remember that segment. They would have like Chris Rock or Wanda Sykes do some kind of lame ass commentary about some hot topic. I was glad that segment was dropped. Waste of time.

and how is the reporting so on-sided as Bill alluded?

The Olympians in debt piece, which I assume he didn't watch, was pretty cut and dry. The USOC doesn't give a shit about their athletes. They collect all the revenue and only give a small portion to their athletes. Unless you're a superstar like Lindsay Vonn or Apollo Anton Ohno, you're screwed. Like Vonn, she's a tall hot blonde who skies. She was bound to be a superstar who would look good on TV and got offered millions in sponsorships. Others aren't so lucky.

This is why the show only airs Once per month. They have to spend lots of time researching these pieces and some require the reporters to leave the country.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-01-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This IMO is one of the best recent pieces Real Sports did. It was about the life and career of the late Craig Sager from TNT.

It's 12 minutes long, but if you haven't seen it, it's so worth watching. Excellent piece.
Old 03-01-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a huge fan of the series, though I do forget to start watching sometimes after the long hiatus.

Enjoyed the most recent episode. Story about how tone-deaf the NHL is to concussions (VERY). Story about Doris Burke who everybody, including myself, loves. Then an incredible albeit self-congratulatory story about how their 2004 story on child slaves used as camel jockeys had sparked a complete change in the sport. That was a difficult watch but really remarkable change from one segment on a TV show.
Old 03-01-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just saw this month’s episode.

The Doris Burke piece was really good. Kudos to her for earning that NBA analyst job. She’s definitely paid her dues. I’ve always liked her and she really knows her stuff.

Regarding that NHL piece on CTE. Gary Bettman is one arrogant piece of work if he’s that naive about his own sport.
Old 03-07-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that show they did with that yoga freak.