Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Michigan St. ignored Larry Nassar victims for two decades.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-18-18, 04:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/tec...14/1042071001/

The story is too long to cut and paste, but the basics of it are that at least 8 female Michigan St. athletes over a span of two decades reported being sexually abused by Nassar to MSU administration and nothing was done. The report says at least 14 Michigan St representatives, coaches, trainers, and administrators including the school president, were aware and did nothing.
Old 01-19-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Michigan St. ignored Larry Nassar victims for two decades.

It is all over the web right now, but here is the link to Aly Raisman's brave statement to Larry Nassar:

Old 01-19-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think USA Gymnastics have lifted the 100,000 fine they could have levied on Maroney if she spoke out against Nassar when they paid her hush money in the settlement.
Old 01-21-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terrible story. Michigan State has seemed to be getting off easy in public backlash compared to Penn State and Baylor sex scandals, USA gymnastics as well. I just hope that there are administrators facing these kind of issues that actually DO the right things, we just don't hear about them because they are nipped in bud.
Old 01-23-18, 10:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

MSU board of trustees is just as bad as the Penn St. board
"I’ve been on the board for 30 years and she by far is the best president we’ve ever had."

Ferguson insists the scandal won't tarnish Simon's legacy as university president, that it's "wrong" to even talk about the possibility of Simon retiring, and is confident that the attorney-general investigation into MSU will find its "senior people are not complicit in what this pervert did."

"I mean, when you go to the basketball game, you walk into the new Breslin, and the person who hustled and got all those major donors to give money was Lou Anna Simon," Ferguson said. "There’s just so many things that make up being president at a university that keeps everything moving and everything right with the deans, everything at a school where we have a waiting list of students who want to come."

Ferguson also said the board has had many major donors and alumni send communications expressing support for Simon and what the trustees are trying to do.
Old 01-24-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not going to link to any particular story as the news is all over the web, but Larry Nassar was formally sentenced today. Good on the judge for letting an incredibly brave 150+ victims of Larry Nassar confront him in court. My understanding is that she had no intention of ending the trial by formally sentencing Nassar until everyone who wanted to directly confront Nassar had a chance to do so.
Old 01-24-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the judge skimming through his "apology" letter and tossing it on her bench with disgust.
Old 01-26-18, 02:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

MSU has all their dirty laundry coming out now with people digging. Dantonio has had 16 players accused of rape or violence against women.

Izzo had a student asst that punched a female student at a bar, Izzo let him stay on staff, and 3 weeks later he raped a different student.

There's a lot more coming out.
Old 01-26-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily for the death penalty for the program for the Nassar thing, but this is seeming more and more like their favorite term, "lack of institutional control."
Old 01-26-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's long, but worth the heartbreaking watch.

Old 01-26-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
MSU has all their dirty laundry coming out now with people digging. Dantonio has had 16 players accused of rape or violence against women.

Izzo had a student asst that punched a female student at a bar, Izzo let him stay on staff, and 3 weeks later he raped a different student.

There's a lot more coming out.
I am still pretty uninformed about this, and only have a headline level depth of knowledge on what has transpired so far. Why is the non-Nassar stuff becoming an issue now? How is it related to the Nassar developments? Is there a good breakdown of the timeline of events somewhere?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah, I wasn't necessarily for the death penalty for the program for the Nassar thing, but this is seeming more and more like their favorite term, "lack of institutional control."
Serious question: For what program? Gymanstics? Football? The entire athletic department? What is the underlying crime, that everyone knew about it and covered it up? What would be the motive? Was this Nassar guy so amazing that they would cover up his heinous crimes to keep him on staff? How high up is this supposed to have gone? I just don't see what the motivation would be, unless it is just plain old incompetence.

I also don't get overly impressed by people coming out making speeches denouncing sexual abuse. Well no kidding, what a brave statement. Is it alleged that some university employees aside from Nassar were in favor of it?

The Penn State situation was pretty easy to understand, and the contemptible actions and motivations of those in charge were pretty clear from the get go. I am trying to wrap my brain aroound the MSU situation in a similar way.
Old 01-26-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think at this point, shutting down ALL Michigan State athletic programs for one year may not sound far-fetched. That means the end of Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio as head coaches under show cause provisions, which means they cannot get employment at another university for as much as five years.
Old 01-27-18, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It doesn't matter to me what the motive is, if it's true that there were 8 women who reported abuse to Michigan State and nobody did anything about it, and we now know the guy is a monster, that's the definition of lack of institutional control. But if these other allegations at are completely separate from Nassar are true, then it's the whole athletic department that's messed up.

A snippet From the article in the OP:

Boyce — the first person who is believed to have told someone at MSU about Nassar — reported him in 1997, almost 20 years before he was fired and prosecuted.

A 16-year-old high school student in Williamston, east of Lansing, Boyce began seeing Nassar after hurting her back in a youth gymnastics program at MSU.

Nassar put his fingers inside Boyce during weekly visits with him at his university office, and in a room near where the gymnasts practiced at Jenison Field House.

After a long appointment with Nassar at Jenison, a coach asked Boyce what was happening during that time. Boyce told the coach, who insisted that Boyce tell MSU’s then-head gymnastics coach, Kathie Klages.

Boyce doesn’t remember the name of the female coach who approached her. But she still remembers the green carpet in Klages’ office and telling her Nassar had been “fingering” her during visits.

“She just couldn’t believe that was happening,” said Boyce, now 37. “She said I must be misunderstanding what was going on.”

Klages, who was MSU women’s gymnastics coach for 27 seasons, brought several of Boyce’s fellow youth program gymnasts into her office and asked them if Nassar did the same to them.

One of them said he had. That woman, who spoke to The News on condition of anonymity, was 14 then, and remembers knowing before the meeting they would be talking about Nassar.

“I remember feeling — finally a female would be an advocate for me, and tell my dad and my mom and I won’t have to tell them about this awkward thing,” said the woman, now 35, who has filed a civil lawsuit against Nassar and MSU. “Finally we’re going to get help, something will change and we won’t have to go back to him. But that wasn’t the case. Instead, I felt very shamed.”

Boyce also felt intimidated and humiliated, and remembers what Klages said about filing a report.

“She said, ‘I can file this, but there are going to be serious consequences for you and Nassar,’” Boyce said. “I said I didn’t want to get anyone in trouble.”

Klages, who retired in February after victims came forward through lawsuits, declined to be interviewed regarding the incident or whether she told anyone else about the girls’ complaints. The response came through her attorney, Steven Stapleton of Grand Rapids.

Klages didn’t tell Boyce’s parents, but she did tell Nassar, Boyce said.

“Had I known she was such good friends with him, I would not have said anything,” Boyce said.
That's just the first one that was reported. The other instances tell a similar tale where the MSU employees seemed reluctant to really go against Nassar, telling the victims basically they had to be sure because it would create an uproar. Then there's the infuriating one about the police.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-27-18 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Espn is just bringing up past incidents that were already well known. If there's evidence that things were not handled properly, then there should be accountability. The Larry Nassar issue is much more complex because it goes beyond just the university. We really need to let the investigation happen to find out where the problem lies. There's no evidence yet that Dantonio or Izzo did anything wrong.
Old 01-30-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-31-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If MSU refuses to COMPLETELY clean house, the “death penalty” is appropriate for the MSU gymnastics program, at a minimum. If the same MSU officials covered up anything in any other programs then those programs should be axed also. If that is found to be the case, it shows an INSTITUTIONAL pattern of behavior, not a program issue.

I was in charge of a youth sports program when I found out about an incident involving a coach and a player. What infuriated me even more than that incident was discovering 3 members of my Board of Directors knew and kept quiet. Those 3 board members were friends of the victim and the abuser. They claimed they were protecting the player and didn’t want to cause any public embarrassment for the family. They had no regard for the other 200 kids in the program though.

Unfortunately I could not get them off of my Board of Directors despite trying for a number of years afterwards. I finally left my position and now they run the program.

I think people fall into one of two categories in these cases — either they are incredulous and refuse to believe the victim/scenario because they don’t know how to react OR they are a special kind of piece of shit who puts their own best interests above the victim.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-31-18 at 12:08 AM.