Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which teams will make it to the Super Bowl?
New England
63.64%
Jacksonville
36.36%
Philadelphia
30.30%
Minnesota
66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Old 01-16-18, 09:09 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,899
2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Sunday, January 21st, 2017
TEAMSTIME (ET)TVLOCATION
Jacksonville at New England3:05 PMCBSGillette Stadium
Minnesota at Philadelphia6:40 PMFOXLincoln Financial Field
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 09:13 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,899
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Super Bowl:
New England and Philadelphia
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 09:19 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,917
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

I'm going to be optimistic and pick the Jags. On paper, they do have the right formula to upset the Patriots. They can run the ball and get to the QB.

I'd also love to see the NFL media team try to sell people on watching the Jaguars in the Super Bowl.

On the other side, I like Minnesota. They're coming off a euphoric win and can ride that momentum to the SB. I like Philly but I don't see Foles taking them to the Super Bowl.
Goat3001 is online now  
Old 01-16-18, 09:21 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Voted for Jacksonville and Minnesota for shits and giggles. But really, anyone but the Pats.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 09:22 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,899
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that either Nick Foles or Casey Keenum would take their team to the Super Bowl, I would laughed at you and told you that you didn't know anything about the NFL.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 09:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,667
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Thanks for the poll!
davidh777 is online now  
Old 01-16-18, 11:48 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

kenbuzz is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 11:52 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,673
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

I would love to see Jacksonville upset New England, than Minnesota beat Philly. How cool would be a for a team to play the Super Bowl in their own stadium. I don't think that's ever happened, at least in the modern era of football.
Bluelitespecial is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 12:18 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018





Can't seem to be able to embed the animated gif.... here it is as a sequence of stills:
Spoiler:
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 12:22 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,089
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

What was he taunting? Looks like he just clapped his hands.
Noonan is online now  
Old 01-16-18, 01:01 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,047
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

I grew up an Eagles fan, so voted for the matchup I'd like to see: Eagles/Jags. Of course, being an Eagles fan means the exact opposite will happen and it'll be Vikes/Pats

Though if the Eagles don't win, I'll be rooting for the Vikings. That fanbase is due a title, especially if they're playing the Patriots.

And I don't expect the Eagles to win. Foles just doesn't look remotely capable of performing against a top defense. Horrible horrible injury luck this season for Eagles. Until the Wentz injury, this was really looking like the year. Instead it just reinforces my fear that I'll die having never seen them win a title (and I've been a fan for over 40 years).

I agree with Goat3001 that the Jags have the formula to beat the Patriots. And this year's Patriots team doesn't seem like an unstoppable juggernaut. It's just that the other teams in the league all have bigger problems. Vikings match up against them well too.
brainee is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 01:08 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What was he taunting? Looks like he just clapped his hands.
Yeah, i'm not sure how that's taunting either unless there's more we're not seeing.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 01:35 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,784
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that either Nick Foles or Casey Keenum would take their team to the Super Bowl, I would laughed at you and told you that you didn't know anything about the NFL.
I was just talking to this with a friend, and while injuries have affected the NFC (Aaron Rodgers went down and essentially ended the Packers season). I do think that defenses have adjusted to the more pass-oriented NFL of the past 5-6 years since they made the rules easier for WR's.

The NFL has always been a trend league and it got pass happy a few years ago, and after the Seahawks and Broncos won Superbowls on the backs of their defense, the league started to adjust. The Eagles and Viking both have great defenses and that is sort of what nobody is talking about. I haven't seen the Jaguars enough (being an NFC guy), so some of you AFC fans here would know better then me.

Obviously a Franchise QB will always tip the scales for teams and keep them competitive, but I'm glad that Defense is making a comeback.



Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Until the Wentz injury, this was really looking like the year. Instead it just reinforces my fear that I'll die having never seen them win a title (and I've been a fan for over 40 years).

.
The 3 best chances we had to win a Superbowl in the past 25-30 years, we have gotten one major injury:

-1991 Randall Cunningham goes down for the Season in game #1, as the team still goes 10-6 and has the #1 overall defense, and only the 2nd team in NFL history to be #1 against the rush and pass.

-2004 Terrell Owens breaks his leg at the end of the regular season. Although he comes back for the Superbowl, he is not 100% as he couldn't cut, but still had 9 catches.

-2017 Carson Wentz on his way to the MVP and the Best record in the NFL tears his ACL and is gone for the season.

Last edited by mcnabb; 01-16-18 at 01:40 PM.
mcnabb is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 02:28 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,667
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...ook-late-lead/

Asked about the situation by reporters, Payton admitted that, yes, he DID do the gesture and that it was "good playoff fun."
davidh777 is online now  
Old 01-16-18, 02:32 PM
  #15  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,646
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What was he taunting? Looks like he just clapped his hands.
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Yeah, i'm not sure how that's taunting either unless there's more we're not seeing.
Itís the Skol chant they do at Viking games. He denied it at first, then admitted it only after the photos came in. Sean Payton is a piece of crap. That one year suspension should have been longer.
Trevor is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 03:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What was he taunting? Looks like he just clapped his hands.
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Yeah, i'm not sure how that's taunting either unless there's more we're not seeing.
I went to the Bengals-Vikings game in December up in Minneapolis, and the team/fans have a traditional chant that they do - the "Skol" Chant - which involves drumming, the entire stadium clapping overhead in unison, and a loud-ass horn at the end. It's pretty cool, but it doesn't get any airplay (hell, I watch a TON of football and I had never heard about it until I was physically there) so it's not surprising that not a lot of folks would know about it.


From the game I attended:


Payton was doing a Skol clap at the fans, because the Saints had just won the game with that Field Goal. No big deal, just a little harmless "in your face" fun that backfired on him.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-16-18 at 03:49 PM.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 03:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Itís the Skol chant they do at Viking games. He denied it at first, then admitted it only after the photos came in. Sean Payton is a piece of crap. That one year suspension should have been longer.
Oh. I don't mind that either then
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 05:17 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,525
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I was just talking to this with a friend, and while injuries have affected the NFC (Aaron Rodgers went down and essentially ended the Packers season). I do think that defenses have adjusted to the more pass-oriented NFL of the past 5-6 years since they made the rules easier for WR's.

The NFL has always been a trend league and it got pass happy a few years ago, and after the Seahawks and Broncos won Superbowls on the backs of their defense, the league started to adjust. The Eagles and Viking both have great defenses and that is sort of what nobody is talking about. I haven't seen the Jaguars enough (being an NFC guy), so some of you AFC fans here would know better then me.

Obviously a Franchise QB will always tip the scales for teams and keep them competitive, but I'm glad that Defense is making a comeback.





The 3 best chances we had to win a Superbowl in the past 25-30 years, we have gotten one major injury:

-1991 Randall Cunningham goes down for the Season in game #1, as the team still goes 10-6 and has the #1 overall defense, and only the 2nd team in NFL history to be #1 against the rush and pass.

-2004 Terrell Owens breaks his leg at the end of the regular season. Although he comes back for the Superbowl, he is not 100% as he couldn't cut, but still had 9 catches.

-2017 Carson Wentz on his way to the MVP and the Best record in the NFL tears his ACL and is gone for the season.
Hey, don't forget Bortles!

The problem with defense is that you have to be good all around, one hole at a position, one mistake, and your defense can be exploited. I'm sure it helps that all three teams not named the Patriots aren't spending a ton of money on a QB though, since the free agent acquisitions on defense I'm sure have helped a lot.

Wentz went out, but honestly they're playing a Vikings team that lost their two top qbs, let their franchise RB go last year and see their fantastic rookie replacement get injured, so it's hard to feel that sorry for the Eagles.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 05:19 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,667
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Hey, don't forget Bortles!

The problem with defense is that you have to be good all around, one hole at a position, one mistake, and your defense can be exploited. I'm sure it helps that all three teams not named the Patriots aren't spending a ton of money on a QB though, since the free agent acquisitions on defense I'm sure have helped a lot.

Wentz went out, but honestly they're playing a Vikings team that lost their two top qbs, let their franchise RB go last year and see their fantastic rookie replacement get injured, so it's hard to feel that sorry for the Eagles.
Are any of those teams paying a lot for any offensive skill player other than Alshon Jeffrey?
davidh777 is online now  
Old 01-16-18, 05:30 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,525
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Are any of those teams paying a lot for any offensive skill player other than Alshon Jeffrey?
Wow Bradford is making 18 million and Bortles is like 19 million. But other than that, not so much. Thielen was like a cast off, but he still makes way more than Diggs on his rookie deal.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 05:33 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,777
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Super Bowl:
New England and Philadelphia
NBC and probably the NFL wants that with two of the biggest media markets.

I think the Patriots have a 18 or 19 game winning streak against the AFC South.
JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 05:56 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,690
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Voted for Jacksonville and Minnesota for shits and giggles. But really, anyone but the Pats.
This right here.
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 06:18 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,525
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
NBC and probably the NFL wants that with two of the biggest media markets.

I think the Patriots have a 18 or 19 game winning streak against the AFC South.
Does NBC care that much? Do ratings/buy rates for the Super Bowl change if there are smaller market teams? I'd think the buy rates are locked in way before anyway.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 08:42 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 7,932
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

I'd really love to see the Pats get knocked out. Glad Pits was. Be nice to see other teams go instead of the same old shit.
VHS? is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 09:45 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JoeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,677
Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs Conference Championships 01/21/2018

Anyone but New England.I do not hate them,but they have like 5 rings.

Hope either Philly or Jax win it all.
JoeySeven is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.