16.13%
Robert Brazile (Senior Finalist)
12.90%
Jerry Kramer (Senior Finalist)
25.81%
Bobby Beathard (Contributor Finalist)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

2018 NFL Hall Of Fame Finalists (and poll)

Old 01-04-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2018 NFL Hall Of Fame Finalists (and poll)

Hall of Fame finalists:
Tony Boselli
Isaac Bruce
Brian Dawkins
Alan Faneca
Steve Hutchinson*
Joe Jacoby
Edgerrin James
Ty Law
Ray Lewis*
John Lynch
Kevin Mawae
Randy Moss*
Terrell Owens
Brian Urlacher*
Everson Walls
(*=1st year of eligibility)

Senior finalists
Robert Brazile
Jerry Kramer

Contributor finalist
Bobby Beathard

Here's a poll. Like the actual HoF ballot, please cast a simple yes/no vote for ALL of the candidates. 80% is required for enshrinement, with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 getting in.

Note: The NFL allows fans to vote on up to 5 finalists on their website, in addition to any/all of the senior/contributor finalists. That process is different than the actual yes/no balloting, which our poll mimics.
Old 01-04-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2018 NFL Hall Of Fame Finalists (and poll)

Heh, I'm a bonehead. Shoudl've been a 30 day poll since the winners will be announced on Super Bowl weekend. Will ask for Mod help.
Old 01-04-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd put John Lynch in the Hall of Fame.
Old 01-04-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Aww, poll should be public too.

Surprised people aren't voting for TO on here.
Old 01-04-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Surprised people aren't voting for TO on here.
I think he should, and will, eventually get in. But I doubt it will happen this year (or even next year). He might have to wait awhile for a year when another obvious WR choice like Moss isn't in the same class
Old 01-04-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I think he should, and will, eventually get in. But I doubt it will happen this year (or even next year). He might have to wait awhile for a year when another obvious WR choice like Moss isn't in the same class
I agree, I just thought people on this forum wouldn't adhere to or be sticklers about keeping people "waiting" on a ballot, as well as be less affected by Owens being an asshole a reason to leave him off.
Old 01-04-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I could I would vote for all the finalists. But I know the reality is that only a much shorter list will get in every year, and they like to make it seem even by position. But no way is there going to be more than a couple OL or DB's get in despite all of them on the list being worthy. Which is why I didn't vote for Hutch even though I think he should and will get in.
Old 01-05-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bobby Beathard? You cannot be serious!

He destroyed the Chargers by constantly trading away next year's First Round pick for a Second Round pick in the current draft which he would then use to pick a guy from Stephen F. Austin who he could have gotten in the 6 the round. All of those guys ended up being busts and the Chargers went from a Super Bowl team to 1-15 in just 4 years thanks 100% to Beathard.

That should negate him from even becoming a serious candidate, let alone a finalist!
Old 01-05-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Bobby Beathard? You cannot be serious!

He destroyed the Chargers by constantly trading away next year's First Round pick for a Second Round pick in the current draft which he would then use to pick a guy from Stephen F. Austin who he could have gotten in the 6 the round. All of those guys ended up being busts and the Chargers went from a Super Bowl team to 1-15 in just 4 years thanks 100% to Beathard.

That should negate him from even becoming a serious candidate, let alone a finalist!
I know you view everything through a weird homer lens, but the guy was director of player personnel for 2 SB winning teams, and the GM of 2 more SB winning teams. As for the Chargers, yeah, they did suck at the very end of his time there. But he took over a 6-10 team and 4 years later had them in the SB. So when you say "the Chargers went from a Super Bowl team to 1-15 in just 4 years thanks 100% to Beathard" it's just a little weird. Like you give him credit for the bad but refuse to give him credit for the good. It's not like he took over a team that had just been to the Super Bowl or even was right on the cusp, he took over a bad team and built a conference champ.
Old 01-05-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I agree, I just thought people on this forum wouldn't adhere to or be sticklers about keeping people "waiting" on a ballot, as well as be less affected by Owens being an asshole a reason to leave him off.
One of TO's own coaches/executives went before the HOF voting panel and directly requested he not be admitted for what he did to their team. Several current HOFers told them behind the scenes they don't want him in the HOF.

Fox Sports covered the TO situation in great detail last year because Cris Carter still seems mad he didn't get in the HOF on the first ballot.
Old 01-05-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if TO has to be added after his normal eligibility. But he should be in there eventually given his play on the field.
Old 01-05-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I know you view everything through a weird homer lens, but the guy was director of player personnel for 2 SB winning teams, and the GM of 2 more SB winning teams. As for the Chargers, yeah, they did suck at the very end of his time there. But he took over a 6-10 team and 4 years later had them in the SB. So when you say "the Chargers went from a Super Bowl team to 1-15 in just 4 years thanks 100% to Beathard" it's just a little weird. Like you give him credit for the bad but refuse to give him credit for the good. It's not like he took over a team that had just been to the Super Bowl or even was right on the cusp, he took over a bad team and built a conference champ.
He did do a great job in Washington, and in his first couple of years in San Diego, but he became one of the worst GM's of all time in his last 5 years with the Chargers. He became utterly clueless as the system changed.

How do you reconcile that?
Old 01-05-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
He did do a great job in Washington, and in his first couple of years in San Diego, but he became one of the worst GM's of all time in his last 5 years with the Chargers. He became utterly clueless as the system changed.

How do you reconcile that?
the same way you reconcile players who had a great career, but sucked at the very end. It plays a small role in the analysis, but shouldn't be used to diminish all the excellence that they achieved.
Old 01-05-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
One of TO's own coaches/executives went before the HOF voting panel and directly requested he not be admitted for what he did to their team. Several current HOFers told them behind the scenes they don't want him in the HOF.

Fox Sports covered the TO situation in great detail last year because Cris Carter still seems mad he didn't get in the HOF on the first ballot.
Well Cris Carter is a tool, but the rest makes sense
Old 01-05-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the same way you reconcile players who had a great career, but sucked at the very end. It plays a small role in the analysis, but shouldn't be used to diminish all the excellence that they achieved.
Except that a GM isn't an athlete. He doesn't lose a step. And in this case he got so bad that it took 5 or 6 years to undo the damage he did to that roster. Then there's the fact that he ran off Bobby Ross after Ross took the Chargers to their only Super Bowl!

That's got to carry some significant weight.
Old 01-05-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, you're voting a simple yes/no (or up/down) for EVERY name on the ballot. You don't vote for 4 or 8.... you vote "for" everyone you feel is HoF-worthy. 80% of those getting yes votes get in... minimum of 4, maximum of 8.

Right now (with 22 votes), only one nominee is at the 80% threshhold, so the top 4 vote-getters would get enshrined... unfortunately the 4th place candidate is just barely over 50% right now, so I suspect folks are voting wrong.
Old 01-06-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exactly. Just getting the sorry ass Chargers into the Super Bowl alone is enough for Beathard to be selected.
Old 01-07-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFL probably has the worst HOF voting,their are a lot of good ol boys who find whatever reasons to keep out Terrell Owens for being "distractions" off the field but let the talent speak for itself and vote for someone 1st ballot who actually committed serious crimes but were not "diva's"

No steroid issues,no serious criminal behaivor,and one of the top 5 players at his poisition. Wat possible reason exactly isn't TO a first ballot guy?
Old 01-07-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
NFL probably has the worst HOF voting,their are a lot of good ol boys who find whatever reasons to keep out Terrell Owens for being "distractions" off the field but let the talent speak for itself and vote for someone 1st ballot who actually committed serious crimes but were not "diva's"

No steroid issues,no serious criminal behaivor,and one of the top 5 players at his poisition. Wat possible reason exactly isn't TO a first ballot guy?
He didn't make his teams better. He was a divisive figure in the locker room and was a constant distraction for the team.

He had talent, but there was always something wrong with the guy.
Old 01-07-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think TO deserves to be in the Hall. But I also understand why he isn't.
Old 02-03-18, 06:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

2018 Hall of Fame class

Brian Dawkins
Ray Lewis
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Brian Urlacher
Robert Brazile
Jerry Kramer
Bobby Beathard

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...brian-urlacher
Old 02-03-18, 06:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

He deserves the Hall just for this tweet

Old 02-03-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
2018 Hall of Fame class

Brian Dawkins
Ray Lewis
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Brian Urlacher
Thatís a damn good class for modern players. Although I do feel old as Iíve seen all these players from their rookie year to retirement.
Old 02-03-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
2018 Hall of Fame class

Jerry Kramer

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...brian-urlacher
Well deserved and 40 years overdue.
Old 02-03-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way TO showed his ass last year after not getting in, i'm surprised the committee voted him in this year.