DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-01-18, 12:23 AM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

As we close the book on another year, what will you remember most about Pro Wrestling, Sports Entertainment in 2017? For me, it was the rise of Jinder Mahal from jobber to WWE Champion.

I can't remember anyone coming from so far down the bottom of the roster to becoming World Champion.
Old 01-01-18, 02:19 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

For me, 2017 was all about the independent scene. My son and I attended 135 indy shows in 2017. It was a good time, but I will never even attempt to hit that many shows again in a single calendar year. Personal highlights included our 2nd annual trip from Rhode Island down to Delaware for CZW's Tournament of Death and every Beyond Wrestling show we were at. Beyond is basically an east coast PWG and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 01-01-18, 11:26 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2017 was the year that the NWA rose from the ashes and became somewhat relevant again. And that was just the beginning with only 3 wrestlers on the roster and no TV show (yet)!
Old 01-01-18, 02:30 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-02-18, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
For me, 2017 was all about the independent scene. My son and I attended 135 indy shows in 2017. It was a good time, but I will never even attempt to hit that many shows again in a single calendar year. Personal highlights included our 2nd annual trip from Rhode Island down to Delaware for CZW's Tournament of Death and every Beyond Wrestling show we were at. Beyond is basically an east coast PWG and I can't recommend it highly enough.
If too personal to answer I understand. What age is your son now, and when were you comfortable in taking him to shows regularly? My son is nowhere near old enough now...but if son wants to down the road, I would love to do this with him.
Yes, I have my own webpage: Xbox One BC/Movie & Game Reviews - @ Kedrix.net
Old 01-03-18, 01:27 AM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone ever go to a DEFY Wrestling show in Washington State? A lot of local guys from here in Vancouver work the shows, plus a lot of ROH talent. I'm contemplating going to one.
Old 01-03-18, 03:08 AM   #7
Banned

I love Okada, and he's broken title records now, but holy freaking cow is Naito so cool. I don't want Okada to lose cuz he's awesome as the champ but also don't know how the current Naito would work out as champ. He was cool as the IC champ though.

Old 01-03-18, 08:24 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

2017 was all about Alexa Bliss and The Miz for me. Also attended my first WWE show.

-Office Space
Old 01-03-18, 08:57 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
If too personal to answer I understand. What age is your son now, and when were you comfortable in taking him to shows regularly? My son is nowhere near old enough now...but if son wants to down the road, I would love to do this with him.
He just turned 15 last month. When we first started attending shows regularly in 2014, he was 11-12. There were a few moments at shows that were a bit much for him, but he could turn around and look away or go to the restroom. It has ended up being a great thing for him socially, because we have become friends with a ton of the guys we see regularly. At some of the smaller scale shows we attend, he has gotten to be manager for a night because we're so friendly with everyone.
Old 01-03-18, 09:01 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Anyone ever go to a DEFY Wrestling show in Washington State? A lot of local guys from here in Vancouver work the shows, plus a lot of ROH talent. I'm contemplating going to one.
I've never seen them, but I hear good things about it. Looking at their upcoming event and seeing guys like Matt Sydal, ACH, and Joey Janela booked would definitely have me wanting to check it out.
Old 01-03-18, 09:29 AM   #11
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who's hyped up for Wrestle Kingdom happening in the middle of the night tonight? I bought NJPW and have been bingeing on Okada/Omega, Naito, Shibata, and Tanahashi matches.
Old 01-03-18, 09:48 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I've set the DVR for the free Wrestlekingdom broadcast on Saturday. Most interested in Omega/Jericho.
Old 01-03-18, 01:37 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Posted this in the video game forum, but I think there are enough NJPW fans here to warrant a post:

Firepro is not the... prettiest game out there, but the customization is incredible.
Old 01-03-18, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
He just turned 15 last month. When we first started attending shows regularly in 2014, he was 11-12. There were a few moments at shows that were a bit much for him, but he could turn around and look away or go to the restroom. It has ended up being a great thing for him socially, because we have become friends with a ton of the guys we see regularly. At some of the smaller scale shows we attend, he has gotten to be manager for a night because we're so friendly with everyone.
Thank you for the answer I do appreciate it. I unfortunately did not have my child until late in my life, I can only hope I'm around long enough (and able enough) to really enjoy some of these things with him. He's already taken a liking to wrestling and hums the theme songs to his favorites...so maybe he'll go to shows with his old man in a few years...and I'd rather go to the smaller shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Posted this in the video game forum, but I think there are enough NJPW fans here to warrant a post:

Firepro is not the... prettiest game out there, but the customization is incredible.
Great, another Fire Pro game not on the system I have. I really just ought to buy a PS4, strictly for the exclusives. Glad its coming out though.
Yes, I have my own webpage: Xbox One BC/Movie & Game Reviews - @ Kedrix.net
Old 01-04-18, 12:51 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Thank you for the answer I do appreciate it. I unfortunately did not have my child until late in my life, I can only hope I'm around long enough (and able enough) to really enjoy some of these things with him. He's already taken a liking to wrestling and hums the theme songs to his favorites...so maybe he'll go to shows with his old man in a few years...and I'd rather go to the smaller shows.
I'm 40 and sometimes it takes a Herculean effort to get up the energy to go to a show. Especially after working all day. It is definitely well worth it though, as it is OUR thing. Often his best friend will come with us, so it makes it even more fun for him. And it is great for me because they make me feel young again myself.
Old 01-04-18, 02:22 AM   #16
Banned

This rumble is already tons better than WK11's. So this is staring off pretty dang well.
Old 01-04-18, 04:12 AM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I've never seen them, but I hear good things about it. Looking at their upcoming event and seeing guys like Matt Sydal, ACH, and Joey Janela booked would definitely have me wanting to check it out.
Yeah I'm in the process of trying to rope in a friend to make the trek from Vancouver to Seattle. Ticket prices range from $25 for standing room only to $100 for front row and a meet and greet. Pretty steep for an indy show. But it looks pretty good.
Old 01-04-18, 12:41 PM   #18
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last edited by LaxBandit; 01-04-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 12:46 PM   #19
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-04-18, 01:03 PM   #20
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I've set the DVR for the free Wrestle Kingdom 12 broadcast on AXS TV this Saturday.
Most interested in Omega/Jericho.

Premiere - Saturday, January 6 - 8:00 pm ET - 11:00 pm ET.

New Japan Pro Wrestling - Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Chris Jericho challenges Kenny Omega for the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship.

Kazuchika Okada defends the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Tetsuya Naito.

Jay White challenges Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

Replay - Saturday, January 6 - 11:00 pm ET - Sunday, January 7 - 2:00 am ET.

http://www.axs.tv/programs/new-japan-pro-wrestling/

Last edited by LaxBandit; 01-04-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 01:24 PM   #21
Banned

I loved JR back in the day but I don't like him doing the NJPW stuff. And I don't care for the other guy. Don Callis and Kevin Kelly obliterate them in the commentary for NJPW.
Old 01-05-18, 11:35 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

the match was good but not great. i laughed at the ref giving omega a blade 2 times because he couldnt do it the first time. it was very obvious
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-07-18, 05:01 PM   #23

Old 01-07-18, 07:34 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

I miss studio wrestling.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 01-07-18, 10:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I miss studio wrestling.
It was chintzy AF, but I LOVED the NWA from WTBS Studios on Peachtree in Atlanta. Those were GREAT shows.

My DVD list