Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 12-19-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines where Hunter turns on Vince, Shane and Wife to storm the ring with NXT.
Except this would all be kayfabe and nothing 'behind the scenes' would change and in a month or two once the angle is done you'd be left with an even more bloated main roster and a barren NXT. Sure, you'd have a babyface HHH but he'd still be on the TV nonstop and that's exactly what they should be getting away from.

We can dream book all we want. In the end, all we're creating is a story that will last at most a few months before getting stale.

There are a lot of problems with WWE and most of it is fundamental. Raw and SD exist to set up story lines for a 3-4 hour monthly PPV. They have 20 hours of TV leading up to the PPV and use those hours to only push the matches that will make the card. That means they have 5 hours of TV a week to push a total of 7 or so feuds. That's really tough to do and stay fresh. If they stay with that mindset, there will always be good talent sitting on the sidelines while the talent that is on TV gets overused.

There are things they can do to change this -- unify titles, mandatory extended breaks for talent and create feuds that culminate on Raw/SD. Instead of an undercard feud culminating in a 15 minute match on a pre-show that no one will see, why not have it end with a 30 minute main event spot on free TV? You can have way more feuds going at once which would allow them to not put all their eggs into just a few baskets plus it would eat up a ton of TV time, which they desperately need.
Old 12-19-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the problem is that there is absolutely no reason to tune in week and and week out, even as a wrestling fan. It's just too much of a time commitment when so little is actually surprising. Unless there's an injury, after the first week after a PPV, you pretty much know what they're driving for for the next PPV, and then it's mainly treading water, with the occasional awesome promo in between.
Old 12-19-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the biggest problems on both programs right now is that there is simply way too much wrestling. Casual viewers don't care about that, they want entertainment. The audience that's left likes actual wrestling. They'll tune in whether you give them 2.5 hours of matches or .5 an hour of matches. There needs to be entertainment and storylines or nothing will change.
Old 12-19-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
One of the biggest problems on both programs right now is that there is simply way too much wrestling. Casual viewers don't care about that, they want entertainment. The audience that's left likes actual wrestling. They'll tune in whether you give them 2.5 hours of matches or .5 an hour of matches. There needs to be entertainment and storylines or nothing will change.
It's funny how that's almost the exact opposite of what the fans have been asking for for years (plus the complaining about the sports entertainment label).
Old 12-19-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Closed captioning botch from other night

Old 12-19-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the Attitude Era, matches almost never spanned across a commercial break. Now we have matches spanning three segments (two commercials in middle of action)
Old 12-19-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my disappointment of the announcement on Monday night I forgot to comment that the Corbin segment was basically a carbon copy of the night before. Did they really have to replay it? Did it go over so well the first time they thought we would want to see it again?
Old 12-19-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that Ambrose or Bane?
Old 12-20-18, 12:42 AM

We are talking so the announcement worked. But Let's see after the new year. I haven't watched anything but a ppv since '02. Nothing has been of worth but nxt. NWO, legit new faction ( Balor club, aj styles-esqbullet). Give me something wwe to watch. If they are listening to the fans, then legit they will just produced long term heel face matches where each are built. hHh knows, give him the reigns and let us see what happens. Dudes given you three grandkids, let the kilq take over.
Old 12-20-18, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
In the Attitude Era, matches almost never spanned across a commercial break. Now we have matches spanning three segments (two commercials in middle of action)
Yup. They've abandoned almost any semblance of narrative. Their segment producers are a bunch of good old boys now. It's literally like 91-93 WCW back there. They just stick people in a ring for 20-25 minutes on prime-time tv and somehow a casual audience is supposed to care about it. It makes no sense. There's not even a reason for the match to be occurring. This isn't Mexico or Japan where it's seen as performance art. And then they 50/50 book talent and constantly bury anyone who is about to get over. Bray Wyatt lost over 50% of the time, Finn Balor loses 50% of the time, Charlotte Flair is literally being booked to steal the heat Becky is producing, Drew McIntryre is about to be a monster heel and all of a sudden he's losing, etc.

Their entire creative team needs to be purged. And HHH isn't the answer because he oversees NXT which is nothing more than Raw with indie wrestlers. They need TV writers that will listen to the audience.
Old 12-20-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NXT is far more than Raw with indie wrestlers. They've managed to build compelling characters and matches I actually care about. I could have never imagined that Velvateen Dream would be a thing after his debut yet somehow he's completely over now. Ciampa, same thing, he was just the other guy in DIY and now he's completely over and playing a perfect heel champion.
Old 12-20-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE supposedly got shot down by Cody and Young Bucks.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/cody-...ct-wwe-offers/
Old 12-20-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither of those would move the needle one bit. I like Cody but he's been there and didn't draw. The Young Bucks I've never gotten.
Old 12-20-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
storm the ring with NXT.
The last NXT invasion angle...

Old 12-20-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
WWE supposedly got shot down by Cody and Young Bucks.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/cody-...ct-wwe-offers/
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Neither of those would move the needle one bit. I like Cody but he's been there and didn't draw. The Young Bucks I've never gotten.
The whole reason for this is because the strong rumor that Cody and the Bucks are going to start their own national promotion with the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Vince is trying to kill this project before it starts. Publicly, Vince and WWE top executives say they are fine with competition, but we all know that is all bullshit and Vince hates not having a monopoly on the business.
Old 12-21-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
The last NXT invasion angle...

And then...

Old 12-21-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This. All the guys from The Elite are great in their own little ecosystem (and FWIW I think Kenny is far and away the best wrestler on the planet since 2015) but none of them are gonna push the needle.
Old 12-21-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think if you get an actual invasion angle that works, it could do something. If you just absorb them into the WWE ecosystem, probably not, since they have more than enough talent.
Old 12-21-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If these guys were anything special then they would already have a major TV or Cable contract.

All these sports channels(FS1,ESPN.NBCSN,CBS Sports) are begging for sports programming and I don't think the NWA fits that bill.
Old 12-21-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And then...

Old 12-21-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Impact is changing channels once again. Now they are moving to Pursuit Channel on Friday, January 11 at 10PM

This is the first time I've heard of this channel. Is Impact so bad right now that they can only get this deal at 10PM? At least people now know what PoP TV is and even MLW has a better deal with a sports network (BEIN Channel).
Old 12-21-18, 08:59 PM

It's actually a decent timeslot. Smackdown will be moving to Friday nights next year. After watching Smackdown, viewers can switch over to Impact.
Old 12-21-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my Xfinity remote has no idea what Pursuit Channel is.
Old 12-22-18, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's a YouTube Channel?
Old 12-22-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never heard of the Pursuit Channel and doubt I even have it. How is Impact even around? It's been on it's last legs for years.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.