Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 12-16-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Was it me or was the whole exchange between Corey and Renee about Dean's mood when he comes home awkward? Not that I watch Raw much but do they openly talk about them being married?
they do, he often asks her what Dean is thinking and why is he doing what he is doing.
Old 12-16-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Most likely are dusting off another round of stars from the past. That seems to be WWE's go to card when things are down. Let me guess, Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan at the 2019 Royal Rumble.
Yep, more hype than anything.

If they were smart, they would dump the "writing" completely, and go back to 2 hour TV shows.
Old 12-17-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Asuka vs. Becky vs. Charlotte was awesome
Ronda vs. Nia , I liked that one also

The rest of the show, most of it I fast forward it.
Old 12-17-18, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gerrythedon View Post
Asuka vs. Becky vs. Charlotte was awesome
Ronda vs. Nia , I liked that one also

The rest of the show, most of it I fast forward it.
They are routinely doing Women's main events now and it's become so common that I looked at the card and just assumed this would be the ME and didn't even think twice about it and that is with a Bryan/Styles World Title match on the card.
Old 12-17-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

honestly, they need to take a page from Ronda Rousey and Becky. Sell their matches on Instagram and facebook. Utilize that and make it real as heck. That way it gets people to tune in
Old 12-17-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-17-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post

This was awesome and very Stone Cold-ish
Old 12-17-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That whole segment felt eerily similar to when Russo and Bischoff "restarted" WCW and stripped all the titles. They got me to tune in so it worked but I'm underwhelmed.
Old 12-17-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
That whole segment felt eerily similar to when Russo and Bischoff "restarted" WCW and stripped all the titles. They got me to tune in so it worked but I'm underwhelmed.
New Blood vs Millionaires Club 2 Electric Bugaloo!
Old 12-17-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never watch Raw live so for anyone watching, has anything worth talking about happened yet?
Old 12-17-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I never watch Raw live so for anyone watching, has anything worth talking about happened yet?
Honestly not a damn thing. Feels like every other Raw lately.

Vince hhh Steph and Shane said they will do better, listen to fans blah blah
Old 12-17-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Honestly not a damn thing. Feels like every other Raw lately.

Vince hhh Steph and Shane said they will do better, listen to fans blah blah
What a load of bull. They will do what they want to do, fans be dammed. Thanks for the update. I can go ahead and delete it from my DVR.
Old 12-17-18, 10:04 PM

I caught the very end of the show. The announcers were hyping the New & Fresh direction of WWE. And they just gave a World Title match to Natalya who's Old & Stale.
Old 12-18-18, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing quite as pathetic as going on live tv and getting on your hands and knees and begging fans to keep watching you're lousy product.
Old 12-18-18, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So they come out and make a non announcement announcement about giving the fans what they want, and then thy proceed to give us an hour plus women's match. Seems like a bit of a disconnect there. Look, I like the Women's division and I'm sure most do as well but I don't like it an hours worth.
Old 12-18-18, 07:34 AM

I just saw the Raw taping results for next week and is more of the same stale shit Vince has given the fans for the past 10 years.
Old 12-18-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its just so unbelievably bad right now. New talent won't fix anything. They have no storylines, 50/50 booking, constantly burying talent, nearly 30 minutes every week dedicated to flashbacks or merch peddling, a horrible announce team, etc. Ugh.

I would happily take the WCW Russo or even 06/07 creative team era's over what's going on now.
Old 12-18-18, 09:46 AM

Actually, it could have been so simple. When all the McMahons were in the ring, instead of Baron Corbin going there to complain, they should have sent Becky Lynch and have Becky rip down every single one of them about being screwed out of a title and about making a rookie (Rousey) the face of the women''s division when she can even barely talk on the mic and then hit Stephanie.

Then have Angle bring the current Raw roster and Daniel Bryan bring the current Smackdown roster and have a coup d'état and clean the WWE from the McMahons. Bryan can talk about how his title, the WWE title, same one that Hogan, Savage, Bret, HBK, Flair, Andre, Bruno, Austin, Rock, Cena, Reigns, Taker and CM Punk have won and wore with pride, has become a secondary title to Mr part time, Brock Lesnar's Universal belt. Have Angle say how HHH kept him out of WWE for over 10 years. And then have all of them clean house. Then, a month from now, before the Rumble, HHH uses his NXT wrestler to conquer and win back WWE.

Here are 2 easy angles, than involves all brands and put people we want to see on the spot. Vince fucked up bad for the past 12 years by force feeding his audience with Cena and then Reings and not building up talent that they have.
Old 12-18-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Its just so unbelievably bad right now. New talent won't fix anything. They have no storylines, 50/50 booking, constantly burying talent, nearly 30 minutes every week dedicated to flashbacks or merch peddling, a horrible announce team, etc. Ugh.

I would happily take the WCW Russo or even 06/07 creative team era's over what's going on now.
On the bright side, they are overflowing with in-ring talent and seemingly know that they need to change up something. Because of that, it shouldn't be that hard to change things up enough to get the audience engaged. I'm not sure that this is the time of year to do that, though, aren't the near Xmas shows basically throw aways at this point?
Old 12-18-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Actually, it could have been so simple. When all the McMahons were in the ring, instead of Baron Corbin going there to complain, they should have sent Becky Lynch and have Becky rip down every single one of them about being screwed out of a title and about making a rookie (Rousey) the face of the women''s division when she can even barely talk on the mic and then hit Stephanie.

Then have Angle bring the current Raw roster and Daniel Bryan bring the current Smackdown roster and have a coup d'état and clean the WWE from the McMahons. Bryan can talk about how his title, the WWE title, same one that Hogan, Savage, Bret, HBK, Flair, Andre, Bruno, Austin, Rock, Cena, Reigns, Taker and CM Punk have won and wore with pride, has become a secondary title to Mr part time, Brock Lesnar's Universal belt. Have Angle say how HHH kept him out of WWE for over 10 years. And then have all of them clean house. Then, a month from now, before the Rumble, HHH uses his NXT wrestler to conquer and win back WWE.

Here are 2 easy angles, than involves all brands and put people we want to see on the spot. Vince fucked up bad for the past 12 years by force feeding his audience with Cena and then Reings and not building up talent that they have.
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines where Hunter turns on Vince, Shane and Wife to storm the ring with NXT.
Old 12-18-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post

I am really glad you are not part of the writing team.
Old 12-18-18, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I am really glad you are not part of the writing team.
Give me a better angle.

Right now, WWE has tons of guys who can work, but because of bad booking or their inability to cut good promos, they are not hitting the mark with the fans. The only one doing that right now Becky Lynch. The other only hot property in the company right now is NXT.

Everyone else in the company is spinning its wheels. Old talent like Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio and Kurt Angle seem to be stalled. Daniel Bryan has been saddle with a horrible heel gimmick. AJ Styles could have gone to the next level if they only let him beat Lesnar. As for the new talent, Braun seems to be like a one dimensional character, like the Ultimate Warrior. Seth Rollins has become the workhorse of the company, and that's a bad thing, because instead of moving forward in the roster, he seems to have stuck himself in the Dolph Ziggler category. Finn Barlor, Bobby Roode, and every other NXT alumni have lost their luster due to horrible booking by Vince. Rusev and Lana has gotten over in spite of Vince's booking, yet they treat him as a midcarder. Samoa Joe still has that but for some reason, the company doesn't pull the trigger with him. The tag team scene has become boring because the same guys have been fighting each other on a weekly basis for the past year, just trading the titles among themselves.

The female side of the company actually has more going for them but it has been mostly by accident. Becky getting hurt by Nia was actually a blessing in disguise and reminded me of when Austin got hurt by Owen. Both of them came out looking like badasses after toughing out the injury in front of a hot crowd. I like most of the WWE female wrestlers booking and they truly have 8 top players (Asuka, Charlotte, Becky, Ronda, Nia, Alexa, Nattie, Sasha) with lots of side characters to elevate them (Bailey, Mickie James, Tamina, Riot Squad, Mandy Sacs, etc). I feel their booking is better because they don't have tons of female wrestlers on the roster, and are clear on who their top people are. Of course, Nattie and Sasha could be replaced by Ember Moon or other female wrestlers breaking out, but there seems to be a clear definition on who needs to do what to get over and get the stories rolling.
Old 12-18-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Making major changes right now would be wasted since the next two weeks' ratings will be horrible on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and NYE/New Years Day. Heck, next week's shows will be pre-taped. Raw's spoilers are already out there and SD's will be up shortly.

Gotta wait till January when there are actually eyeballs to see it. At least, I hope that's the thinking.
Old 12-18-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Apparently, WWE has something big planned for January.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-r...-ratings-2019/

On a recent edition of Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez claimed that he’s been told that WWE has a “master plan” to allegedly turn things around for the company in 2019. As previously reported, last Monday’s edition of Raw only drew approximately 2.194 million viewers, which was a record low viewership for the show.

According to Alvarez, there is a “belief within WWE” that they will be able to turn ratings around for the company again starting in January 2019. He added, “Something big is going to happen.” What that “big” event WWE has planned is still an absolute mystery.

You can read Alvarez’s comments from the show (courtesy of RingsideNews.com) below:

“For those of you who hate Raw, all I’m going to do is tell you that the belief within WWE is that — take this for what it’s worth — they believe it is all turning around in January. Apparently, they have some sort of idea and they think it’s all turning around in January and that the ratings in January are going to be good again. The show is going to be better and something big is going to happen.”

“Of course, everybody is going to be speculating all sorts of crazy things. Young Bucks, this, that. Don’t get your hopes up, everybody.”

“I don’t know what they’re thinking, but they seem to believe that in January, this thing’s turning around.”
Old 12-19-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That raises an interesting point. Data shows that your women's segments are often among your best-rated.

For a time our female performers got time on our shows... but it tended to be limited.

Then in 2015 a match between two female performers literally lasted 30 seconds. That match created a social media firestorm. The popularity of the hashtag #GiveDivasAChance really opened our eyes to the fact our fans wanted to see more of our female performers. They're great, incredibly talented athletes. And men were vocal about wanting to see our female performers more.

In response, Vince tweeted #keepwatching. And things have definitely changed. Our female performers aren't Divas anymore; they're WWE Superstars. They do matches they had never done before: Hell in a Cell, all-female royal rumble, the first ever-all women's live event will be in New York at Nassau Coliseum...

Any opportunity we give our women, they knock out of the park. in front of our women they knock out of the park. According to Nielsen ratings the women's segments do extremely well. We're not surprised: They have great storylines, they're incredibly entertaining... they're great.

And it's all because our fans told us they wanted more.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-d...ng-itself.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.