Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 01-23-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Looked totally lost in that WM main event.
Seven freakin' years ago. He's come a long way.
Old 01-23-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The Miz is the best heel in the business, easy.
Totally agree. He grinds and gets better and better. Unlike someone like Roman who is handed everything and still cant get himself over.
Old 01-23-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The Miz is the best heel in the business, easy.
Yep. He is one of only a handful of reasons I still check in on WWE.
Old 01-23-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Daniel Bryan is on tonights 205 Live so they may announce a move of the cruiserweight division to Smackdown. What that division needs is more Mexican masked wrestlers wrestling and less scripted bullshit. That's what made that division famous back in the 90's on WCW.
Old 01-23-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, RAW had amazing ratings last night. Sad that those who tuned it like myself were treated to such a shitty show. Man, this type of show should be so easy to book, yet they always fuck it up.
Old 01-23-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

6. I heard Austin blew a gasket backstage, and told them not to call him again unless they have something for him to actually do that involves being allowed to speak.
Old 01-23-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Real or Fake
Old 01-23-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2. I don't need to be told about how they are the "women's division", not 'Divas'. Last I checked, they had a women's division they didn't care about in the early 90s. Most tuning back in would probably be more interested in Diva antics anyway. More PC Bullshit.
Completely disagree with you there. Everyone that stuck around post Attitude Era hated the term Divas. I personally would like to see them treated seriously and let them have real matches and not pillow fight matches and panties on a pole matches.
Old 01-23-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Real or Fake
It's hard to tell, and it doesn't even matter, that's what makes him so good. Man, sometimes I feel like I'm just nostalgic wishing for the old days but then you get reminded just how good SCSA, the Rock, etc. are and were when they come out like that. Amazing.
Old 01-23-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Real or Fake
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's hard to tell, and it doesn't even matter, that's what makes him so good. Man, sometimes I feel like I'm just nostalgic wishing for the old days but then you get reminded just how good SCSA, the Rock, etc. are and were when they come out like that. Amazing.
Stone Cold putting "Mike" on notice! What SCSA was talking about was clearly "in character". But I wouldn't be surprised if he really was pissed off about taking the time out of his life, traveling across the country, for such a shitty show. And, like the best can do, he channeled that "real" emotion into a "fake" promo and made it 100% believable.

And yeah, about that show last night ... first time in a while I watched live. Gave that up not long after Stone Cold's segment, and watched the rest on DVR delay (skipping past commercials and crappy parts ... which meant it didn't take me long at all). What a wasted opportunity by WWE to get people into their product heading into the most critical stretch of the year.
Old 01-23-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried watching the Mixed Match Challenge using Facebook Watch (for the first time). I heard last week was technically rough for some people, but it worked smoothly for me (especially once I figured out how to hide all the inane live Facebook comments).

A different kind of problem ... while Asuka and Carmella are in the ring, the ref goes over to Miz in the corner and you can very clearly hear him say "Asuka's going over". And what do you know ... Asuka turns the match around and wins less than a minute later.

You know ... things like this make me start to suspect that maybe professional wrestling might be ... fixed?!?!
Old 01-23-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Daniel Bryan Says New 205 Live GM Will Address Cruiserweight Title Situation Next Week.

WWE SmackDown Live General Manager Daniel Bryan has confirmed that 205 Live will be getting its own General Manager next week.

The General Manager will address the Cruiserweight Championship situation now that former champion Enzo Amore is no longer employed by WWE.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...-Will-Address/
Old 01-24-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I tried watching the Mixed Match Challenge using Facebook Watch (for the first time). I heard last week was technically rough for some people, but it worked smoothly for me (especially once I figured out how to hide all the inane live Facebook comments).

A different kind of problem ... while Asuka and Carmella are in the ring, the ref goes over to Miz in the corner and you can very clearly hear him say "Asuka's going over". And what do you know ... Asuka turns the match around and wins less than a minute later.

You know ... things like this make me start to suspect that maybe professional wrestling might be ... fixed?!?!
I watched a little bit last night as well. Mixed challenge would be a lot more interesting if the women wrestled the men and vice versua like Lucha does.
Old 01-24-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I watched a little bit last night as well. Mixed challenge would be a lot more interesting if the women wrestled the men and vice versua like Lucha does.
In the world of LU it works, since most of the men are cruiserweight size. And the presentation is as a fictional drama series (like a superhero show), making (for me at least) suspension of disbelief of women vs men easier. Itís a much harder sell in WWE, at least without a truly Amazonian women (like Chyna). And any guy that has to sell a womanís offense will look like a complete loser. Though I do think we might see Asuka snap at some point and kick Mizs ass.

I noticed that the Braun/Alexa team is playing for Stephís personal charity (Connors Cure) ... Id be shocked if they donít win. I donít remember if the brackets set up that way, but a Braun/Alexa vs Miz/Asuka final could be brutal with these mixed rules. I can just imagine Alexa and Miz constantly tagging out to avoid their same sex powerhouse opponent.
Old 01-24-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the world of LU it works, since most of the men are cruiserweight size. And the presentation is as a fictional drama series (like a superhero show), making (for me at least) suspension of disbelief of women vs men easier. Itís a much harder sell in WWE, at least without a truly Amazonian women (like Chyna). And any guy that has to sell a womanís offense will look like a complete loser. Though I do think we might see Asuka snap at some point and kick Mizs ass.

I noticed that the Braun/Alexa team is playing for Stephís personal charity (Connors Cure) ... Id be shocked if they donít win. I donít remember if the brackets set up that way, but a Braun/Alexa vs Miz/Asuka final could be brutal with these mixed rules. I can just imagine Alexa and Miz constantly tagging out to avoid their same sex powerhouse opponent.
Wait, they're playing for charities? But it's a work.
Old 01-24-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Miz, Reportedly Set For A 'Monster' WrestleMania Push, Is Once Again The Face Of WWE

Alfred Konuwa , CONTRIBUTOR

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
There was something strangely poetic about The Miz defeating Roman Reigns in their Intercontinental Championship match at Raw 25.

Sure, Reigns is still WWE's biggest full-time star, and most signs indicate he will indeed headline his fourth-straight WrestleMania, but The Miz is on a torrid pace to finally re-enter the elusive main event pantheon held down by The Big Dog and few others.

Miz's Cena-like work ethic has gradually paid off for years. Once a WWE champion who headlined WrestleMania 27, Miz spent ensuing WrestleManias competing in obscure group matches and pre-shows. Alongside Maryse, his WrestleMania 33 matchup against John Cena and Nikki Bella, however, was an auspicious sign for perhaps WWE's single-most resilient story.

Though he is its most consistent heel, Miz’s commitment to WWE is nothing short of admirable. In the most "Miz" trivia note ever, he was one of two WWE Superstars to appear in person before the live crowds in both the Barclays Center and the Manhattan Center at Raw 25 (Seth Rollins was the other). The man even stayed overtime to run down D-Generation X and co. before getting his comeuppance as every good heel should.

It's further proof that while Braun Strowman and Roman Reigns are top full-time stars in the body of a television program, The Miz is WWE's trusty MVP. WWE takes every chance it can to remind viewers that The Miz was named Rolling Stone's WWE Superstar of the Year in 2017, and for good reason.

2018 has been a shaky start for several WWE Superstars outside of the ring. Former cruiserweight champion Enzo Amore is was released by WWE amid rape allegations. Another former cruiserweight champion, in Rich Swann, is currently serving an indefinite suspension for a domestic dispute that occurred in late 2017. Current tag team champion Jey Uso was recently popped for a DWI. Roman Reigns was linked to a steroid ring by jailed former CEO of Iron Maniacs gym Richard Rodriguez, though he vehemently denied these claims in what is being considered a non-story by WWE.

Meanwhile, The Miz has never had an inkling of legal trouble outside of WWE in his 14 years with the company.

It doesn't hurt that he has never suffered a significant injury, an issue which is also plaguing WWE at the moment.

WWE has clearly realized it made a mistake by demoting The Miz years ago, which is both an anomaly for the company and a credit to Miz. There are countless examples of WWE having buyer's remorse after pulling the trigger on a first-time world champion. There are limited examples of said former world champions proving the promotion wrong and forcing it to re-evaluate.

As a result, The Miz is reportedly in line for a "monster push" per Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter as he prepares to launch the Miz and Mrs. reality television show on the USA Network. That's right, it was The Miz and Maryse, not the Bella Twins, who received a Total Divas spinoff on the more prestigious USA Network.

Plans call for the show to air in 2018. If it proves to be a hit, it figures to add another bargaining chip to WWE's looming negotiations with NBCUniversal, which may come with an actual bidding war this time around in a completely different television landscape.

The Miz's WrestleMania trajectory feels like it could pit him against a mainstream celebrity or athlete in the spirit of Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lawrence Taylor or The Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather.

There are so few WWE Superstars on Raw who feel like both a novel WrestleMania opponent for The Miz while also being on his level. Perhaps he upsets the apple cart at the Royal Rumble and switches brands to challenge AJ Styles on SmackDown Live, where the WWE Championship criminally eluded him.

In any event, it's clear that The Miz is not only back to his 2011 form, but he has evolved past it. I would say he's here to stay, but with many irons in the fire and a baby on the way, that might not be up to WWE.
Old 01-24-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard the comment but didn't know who said it. WWE needs to be more careful with their mics.
Old 01-24-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-24-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, right now is not whether Enzo is innocent or not, is the fact that he kept the knowledge of the investigation hidden from Vince and WWE management. Add to that the fact that he isn't liked at all by his peers.
Old 01-24-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fix your phone screen random dude. Damn.
Old 01-25-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE just posted on Facebook that Vince has a huge sports announcement at 3PM and will be made on the Alpha Entertainment FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/alphaentllc/?fref=mentions

I suspect it has to do with the return of the XFL or something similar.
Old 01-25-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you happen to own WWE stock, sell it before 3PM
Old 01-25-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Completely disagree with you there. Everyone that stuck around post Attitude Era hated the term Divas. I personally would like to see them treated seriously and let them have real matches and not pillow fight matches and panties on a pole matches.
No thanks. You can slap whatever term you want on it but most of them are still models being taught to wrestle.
Old 01-25-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Seven freakin' years ago. He's come a long way.
Ratings have not budged in those seven years. He's still a mid carder.

Actually, that is worse. He went from world champ to IC champ, but he's a better wrestler ....
Old 01-25-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.