Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 07-10-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Well when you have the same matches/feuds, week after week, PPV after PPV, it gets fuckin old.
There's nothing exciting any more. I mean something as simple as having general managers make ALL matches can help a little. There's not enough of that and allowing wrestlers to make their own matches every week is just stupid.
I can watch RAW and SD right now and not have to watch it for a month because it's gonna be the same exact shit.
Old 07-10-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
This Week's Monday Night Raw Draws Lowest Viewership In History.

WWE set a new record on Monday night and one it won't be shouting about.
This week's episode of Raw of USA Network scored a dismal 2.470 million viewers making it the lowest viewership in the history of the flagship broadcast.

The record was previously set on September 26th, 2016 when the show did 2.478 million viewers but that was up against the Trump vs. Clinton Presidential Debate and Monday Night Football.

The first hour drew 2.582 million viewers, second 2.508 million viewers and the third and final hour drew 2.320 million viewers.

Traditionally, when ratings take a dive WWE Chairman Vince McMahon tends to make a return to boost numbers, so it will be interesting to see how WWE react to this news.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...Viewership-In/

I'm not surprised by this at all. It gets worse each week.
What have I (and several others) been saying for years?

Without the competition from the NWA/WCW Vince and company lost focus, lost incentive, and lost creativity.

What can Vince do about it? If it were me I would have reactivated WCW years ago and let someone else run the company with bonuses on the table for kicking my ass in the ratings. That would have pushed both companies to do better. The WWF didn't really strike gold until WCW started beating them in the ratings. Then came the attitude era and things turned around for the WWF. But without WCW pushing them WWE became mediocre. It was clear that Vince needed that push from the competition to really be at his best. It's probably too late to do that again at this point.

Well, at least the NWA videos come out on a fairly regular basis, and they're wrestling gold!
Old 07-11-18, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually watched Raw on Hulu this week. I needed something to bore me to sleep.
Old 07-11-18, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m probably the only one but I want to see good old fashioned southern wrestling make a come back. WWE has become a joke, I’m not a huge fan of spot monkey or hardcore wrestling. I want stories, feuds, blade jobs, champions that you really look at as champions.
Old 07-11-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure I like the sound of this.

According to Barnburner, it is being reported that WWE is planning to hold more than one WrestleMania event per year by 2020, with the secondary WrestleMania following a similar format to that of the Greatest Royal Rumble and Super Show-Down, being an international event. WWE wants to have one in April and the second one in October. Saudi Arabia, London, and Australia are possible hosts for that second show.
Old 07-11-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So they want to hold a glorified house show overseas and brand it as WrestleMania? Great.
Old 07-11-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would love too see more house shows on WWE Network with zero PPV promos. It's ok to build up fueds but please don't show the past or upcoming PPV down my throat. That's one reason that I stopped watching.
Old 07-11-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else watch the New Japan G1 Special from San Francisco (shown on Axcess)? My favorite match was Jay White vs Juice Robinson (for the US title). I'd been lukewarm on Jay White previously, but this was the first time it seemed he was fully embracing being the villain. And Juice's story is a real-life feel good one. A guy who seemed to top off at being a jobber in NXT and wanted more out of his career. He started off at the bottom in New Japan (back to the training dojo as a "Young Lion"), improved his craft, got the fans to start loving him, and now won his 1st title in the #2 match on a big show.

While Cody achieved much more than Juice in WWE, I'm happy to see him stepping up his game and getting what he wanted out of his career (in the main event title match at New Japan instead of being lost in the shuffle in WWE). I get why he can't use the "Rhodes" name, but it seems weird him just going by "Cody". Some names work as one word ... but that isn't one of them. Nothing's stopping him from using his real "Cody Runnels", is there?

Hiromu's Junior Heavyweight title match seemed unusually abrupt. After the fact I'm finding out that he may have broken his neck during the match. He regained consciousness, could sit up, and is able to travel back to Japan for further treatment. Still, that could be very bad for his career
Old 07-11-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PPV ads during matches is awesome! I love it.....
Just shows you how what they themselves, think about the matches.
Old 07-11-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is Jocephus' spiritual advisor a psi cop? Just wondering...
Old 07-12-18, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Iím probably the only one but I want to see good old fashioned southern wrestling make a come back. WWE has become a joke, Iím not a huge fan of spot monkey or hardcore wrestling. I want stories, feuds, blade jobs, champions that you really look at as champions.
I'd like to see pro wrestling reinvented. Start from scratch and create a work close to what MMA is, while keeping whats great about pro wrestling.

I wanna see something that looks like a real competition. With elements of real danger like you'd see with guys like Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen. With guys hyping and selling fights like they really mean something, like Ric Flair and Jake Roberts. Making it as much a shoot as possible.

High flying had its day, hardcore had its day, they were GREAT for a time. But those days are over. It's not special anymore and EVERYONE does it. They've taken high flying as far as it can possibly go and now its too much. (same with hardcore). It looks more like cirque de soleil than it does an athletic competition. I can still enjoy guys like Finn Balor, Ricochet, The Young Bucks etc. But honestly, they don't hold a candle to guys like Kyle O Reilly, Roderick Strong, Samoa Joe. (and Brock Lesnar when he brings pro wrestling to MMA.)

I don't care if I know its a work, because when its presented as serious as possible by masters of their craft, I'm able to suspend my disbelief and believe in it. But when they go out of their way to rub it in your face that its a work, it can still be entertaining, but the pure magic that pro wrestling has been shown capable of attaining in the past, is completely lost. I want wrestling to be real again.
Old 07-12-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kaitlyn is coming back to WWE to be part of the Mae Young Classic.
Old 07-12-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Poor Mascarita Sagrada (from last night's Lucha Underground)
Old 07-12-18, 02:08 PM
Banned

If they push Mojo Rawley there may be a comeback of the kind of WWE/WWF that once was and mostly of the things your talking about. He's bringing about great feuding with actual very smart instigations, reasoning, etc.

They'll only go so far with some things anymore, more than just a few years ago they recieved the TV-PG rating not 14+ anymore, the prime core audience with stats is children anymore.

Things can change, I believe that WWE! For the better, hopefully

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Iím probably the only one but I want to see good old fashioned southern wrestling make a come back. WWE has become a joke, Iím not a huge fan of spot monkey or hardcore wrestling. I want stories, feuds, blade jobs, champions that you really look at as champions.
Old 07-12-18, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Poor Mascarita Sagrada (from last night's Lucha Underground)
Old 07-12-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-13-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since MSG is less than an hour for me to get to this is a no brainer.
Old 07-13-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last I heard was that MSG had cancelled ROH's booking after discussions with WWE, did they have a falling out with them again?
Old 07-14-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"As part of the Supercon event in Florida, former WWE Star, Gangrel, took part in a 30-man rumble that also featured Toys R Us Mascot, Geoffrey the Giraffe. During the match, Gangrel made a call to have an Amazon package delivered to the ring, which he used as a weapon. As he smacked Geoffrey out of the ring Gangrel yelled, "Amazon Prime, b----!" (Credit: WrestlingInc.com)

Old 07-14-18, 10:28 PM

Can't believe poor Geoffrey even has to job to has-beens like Gangrel.
Old 07-15-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After a three-year suspension, Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into the WWE Hall of Fame. This second chance follows Hogan’s numerous public apologies and volunteering to work with young people, where he is helping them learn from his mistake. These efforts led to a recent induction into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Alumni Hall of Fame.
Time to make some money boys! - Vince M.
Old 07-15-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we all knew Hogan wouldnít really be gone permanently. Kinda surprised WWE actually held out as long as they did. Iím sure eventually heíll make some appearance and itíll be dubbed his return and will be huge. WWE only cares as long as the public does if thereís money to be made.
Old 07-15-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't follow wresting at all anymore but like to check this thread to see if there is anything that can get me back. What did Hulk do?
Old 07-15-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Caught on tape saying racist things.
Old 07-15-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I don't follow wresting at all anymore but like to check this thread to see if there is anything that can get me back. What did Hulk do?
"...I donít have double standards. I mean, I am a racist, to a point, fucking ******s...I mean, Iíd rather if she was going to fuck some ******, Iíd rather have her marry an 8ft tall ****** worth a $100 million! Like a basketball player!.. Fucking ******." - Reinstated Hulk Hogan

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.