Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 06-16-18, 01:01 AM

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Nxt has a decent card. Good woman's match. Ricochet v dream should be a storytellers fest. And blacks title defense should be worthwhile...if only for the entrance.

The big spots on Sunday should round the weekend out nicely.

"No man is ever truly good, no man is ever truly evil."
Old 06-16-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Axeramm View Post
so happy to have Lucha Underground back tonight.
Aztec Warfare was a good way to start the season. Very fast-paced and gives a quick introduction to a lot of the roster and numerous story lines. The match itself wasn't that great, especially compared to previous Aztec Warfares (it was so many guys in too short a time period, and had many abrupt eliminations). But for episode 1, I think it served its purpose. Tommy Dreamer doesn't seem like much of a fit for LU though (especially the old and fat version of Tommy Dreamer). Hopefully he doesn't have too much to do.

I only see Impact/TNA wrestling sporadically (when I'm flipping channels), but I know a lot of LU guys have shown up there: Mundo, Taya, Pentagon, Cage, Drago, Aerostar, Cuerno (under his original Hijo del Fantasma name), Crane, and I'm sure there are others. It's good the companies can have a working relationship (especially with LU's schedule being so sporadic). But for viewers of both, it must be a little disorienting to keep flipping between the awesome versions of characters in LU to the lame versions in Impact

I forgot that Dario died Though there's a lot of family resemblance to his father!

Last edited by brainee; 06-16-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-16-18, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by david12 View Post
Ricochet v dream should be a storytellers fest.
Usually matches like this don't live up to expectations. But they pulled it off. That was an amazing match.
Old 06-16-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm 2 matches into Takeover and I can just turn it off now. I don't see how anything else on the card can top what I just saw. Roderick Strong and just so good and they all pulled off a phenomenal match.

Jesus Christ they're going to have to have Dream win a Takeover match or they're going to turn him into "enhancement talent". He puts on such good matches and yes his matches tell a story better then pretty much anyone on the entire WWE roster. His outfit and his entrance had me actually LOL. I really want to like Ricochet, and I probably would against anyone else short of Adam Cole.
Old 06-16-18, 10:18 PM

I can't remember the last WWE PPV that was as good as tonight's NXT Takeover.
Old 06-17-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night's NXT event was the first time in a while where it felt like the time flew by as it was on the air. Every match was full of action and kept my interest. Considering I typically turn off a WWE event less than a half hour in most times, that's an accomplishment. The Ricochet vs. Dream match was one for the ages.
Old 06-17-18, 10:11 AM

It breaks my heart to know that by this time next year, most of Undisputed Era will be stuck on 205 Live, Velveteen Dream will be paired with Breezango, and Gargano/Ciampa will reform DIY and job out to the B Team.
Old 06-17-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile Lars will be in a main even feud with Strowman.
Old 06-17-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
It breaks my heart to know that by this time next year, most of Undisputed Era will be stuck on 205 Live, Velveteen Dream will be paired with Breezango, and Gargano/Ciampa will reform DIY and job out to the B Team.
Sadly, I think you're right. As good as they are, none of these guys seem like they'll "translate" to the main roster very well. Dream's "wrestling Prince" character will go no where fast. And the others will languish on 205, or be jobbers on the main shows. Adam Cole and Gargano have the best chance to break through, based on how well they seem to connect with the fans.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Meanwhile Lars will be in a main even feud with Strowman.
That's true too. Though Lars is pretty good for a big guy. There's always a space for a hoss who can work and has a unique look.
Old 06-17-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The women's MITB ladder match was WWE booking in a nutshell,7 women take a lot of bump's and put on a good show and Alexa who avoided bumps and needed the briefcase the least get's the reward.
Old 06-17-18, 08:57 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alexa cash in tonight.
Old 06-17-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought that was easily the best Styles/Nakamura match in this recent series. That one was entertaining.
Old 06-17-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The WWE director who is commanding all the camera cuts has made their product even more unwatchable.
Old 06-17-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With that top, Ronda is going to have a tit pop out sooner than later
Old 06-17-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alexa cash in tonight.
And there you go.
Old 06-17-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find it ridiculous that Vince treats the WWE Championship as secondary to the Rousey match and to the men's money in the bank match.
Old 06-17-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry but I'm sick of every "PPV" or just every show in general being the Braun Strowman show.

edit: Fuck, and I typed that before the finish of the actual match.
Old 06-17-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why does Strowman need MitB? He doesn't need it for a title shot, and he's a monster face so he won't be sneaky with it. Presumably makes Summer Slam a triple threat with the beyond tired Reigns/Lesnar match up.
Old 06-17-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The women's MITB ladder match was WWE booking in a nutshell,7 women take a lot of bump's and put on a good show and Alexa who avoided bumps and needed the briefcase the least get's the reward.
Because she is Vinces Golden Girl
Old 06-17-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is weird seeing TNA now being prominently mentioned and shown on WWE and the network. Is Vince funding them? Helping them?
Old 06-17-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they just owned the TNA library. Certainly TNA was a big part of the Hardy reemergence; without it it's just the Hardys disappeared for most of a decade and came back for last year's Mania.
Old 06-18-18, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
I thought they just owned the TNA library. Certainly TNA was a big part of the Hardy reemergence; without it it's just the Hardys disappeared for most of a decade and came back for last year's Mania.
same for kurt angles, for he spend more time in tna than wwe
Old 06-18-18, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poor Bobby Roode. He's done nothing except a brief run with the US Title since he was called up from NXT. Heck, I was at the point last night to have James Storm run in and help his ole pal win MITB.

Might as well have Beer Money reunion. Creative sure doesn't know how to use a guy like Roode.
Old 06-18-18, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Is weird seeing TNA now being prominently mentioned and shown on WWE and the network. Is Vince funding them? Helping them?
There was talk in the past of the WWE Network showing other promotions shows but so far nothing has happened.

If there is enough interest I could see it happening because everyone wins since VKM doesn't see any of these as a threat to WWE and cross promoting can only help matters.
Old 06-18-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Poor Bobby Roode. He's done nothing except a brief run with the US Title since he was called up from NXT. Heck, I was at the point last night to have James Storm run in and help his ole pal win MITB.

Might as well have Beer Money reunion. Creative sure doesn't know how to use a guy like Roode.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The place would have exploded with a Beer Money chant.

Only caught part of the ppv last night. Second half of the AJ/Nak match was pretty good. Was fully expecting a Rousey nip slip as her apparel didn't look like it was holding them in too securely.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.