Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 01-16-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Chelsea Green/Laurel VanNess -- former Tough Enough contestant, current Impact champion, and Zack Ryder's girlfriend for over a year--was just granted her release from Impact yesterday.

Rumble bound?
Old 01-16-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's the appeal of an empty arena match and why are they using the Impact ring and Impact announcer?
Didn't Terry Funk and Jerry Lawler have the world famous empty arena match in Memphis many years ago?
Old 01-16-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Someone high up must really like her... she kind of went off the rails with Del Rio, showing up at Impact "in disguise" while she was injured, she had those pics come out (not her fault but that one with the belt was especially bad), and for the most part I thought she was done in the WWE but they still brought her back and in a good position as well. So I have high hopes that they'll let her be the valet for the two newbies and maybe grow into a commentator spot.
Well, they had that movie about her life in production (co-produced by the Rock) at the time all of that stuff went down. It doesn't come out until later this year. That probably extended the leash they were willing to give her.
Old 01-16-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Didn't Terry Funk and Jerry Lawler have the world famous empty arena match in Memphis many years ago?
The Rock/Mankind did as well. Still I'm not sure of the point.
Old 01-16-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

man, that video of Paige getting injured was hard to watch. very sad.
Old 01-16-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
Tim Storm and Jocephus took their NWA rivalry to the Impact Wrestling - Impact Zone on Sunday 1/14/18 for an Empty Arena Match with the winner getting a shot at NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. The match is called by Jeremy Borash and Sam Shaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKqNCnTi20
I really enjoyed this. It was a bit old school but it definitely had story telling told through an actual match. Which was nice.
Old 01-16-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I really enjoyed this. It was a bit old school but it definitely had story telling told through an actual match. Which was nice.
Yeah, it was more of a brawl than a match, but it was classic wrestling storytelling in a match.

The NWA is getting it right. This is how you build a wrestling brand!
Old 01-16-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was never a fan of the "Broken" Matt Hardy. I've noticed fans dont really 'POP' when he comes out either. They just want to chant "DELETE" 100x

I really hope WWE finds something for Paige. Don't know what that would be, but I see her trying to wrestle somewhere, where the promotion is more interested in ticket sales than her safety. Other than that, a downward spiral.
Old 01-16-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jey Uso Arrested in Texas For DWI
Posted By: Ryan Satin January 16, 2018

Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed Jey Uso was arrested over the weekend in Texas for allegedly driving while intoxicated.

The current SmackDown Live Tag Team Champion was released the same day on Sunday by his own recognizance, but no additional details are available at this time.

We’ve made attempts to obtain a copy of the incident report and will update the article once more information is made available.

Talk of his arrest was first mentioned by a Twitter user named Slice Wrestling.

Story developing …
Old 01-16-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope he enjoyed a night in the Uso Penitentiary.
Old 01-16-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone having WWE Network problems? Can't get it too work on Roku TV's and then I finally watched an WCCW episode on PC and now nothing seem's too be working.

Edit-Checked Amazon Fire Stick and it's working on this device. Oops-no it's not. Keep's freezing.

Back to the Roku TV. Seems too be working but that could change.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 01-16-18 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Yeah, it was more of a brawl than a match, but it was classic wrestling storytelling in a match.

The NWA is getting it right. This is how you build a wrestling brand!
Anyone word on a TV contract or their now discontinued NWA Houston streaming service?
Old 01-17-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE's Roman Reigns Implicated In $10 Million Steroid Ring

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk.../#57bf0f0b33b4
Old 01-17-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
WWE's Roman Reigns Implicated In $10 Million Steroid Ring

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk.../#57bf0f0b33b4
Well, this could save the Mania main event
Old 01-17-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If only
Old 01-18-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gimmick change: Roidin Reigns
Old 01-18-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After WWE made such a big deal about the Women's first Money in the Bank Match, nothing has become of it. Has Carmella even tried to cash in the briefcase?
Old 01-18-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
After WWE made such a big deal about the Women's first Money in the Bank Match, nothing has become of it. Has Carmella even tried to cash in the briefcase?
I heard on Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard why this is done. Prichard explained that Vince and creative like making people forget about the MITB briefcase so when the person who has it cashes in, it comes in as a total surprise to fans because they had forgotten about it. It somewhat makes sense.

There's a huge rumor going around for the Royal Rumble, that's more speculation than rumor:

Spoiler:

Rumor is that Daniel Bryan has been cleared to wrestle and that he will win the Royal Rumble and go to Wrestlemania to fight AJ Styles. Apparently the source of this rumor is the fact that people can bet in Vegas on Bryan to win and his odds are now 1 to 5 to win it all. Again, it's more speculation that rumor but it would be an awesome moment if it does happen.
Old 01-18-18, 08:03 PM

Apparently Bret Hart won't be able to go to the 25th Anniversary of Raw because he has an appointment with a doctor for hand surgery. Bret had a botched surgery not so long ago and is getting a new doctor to fix it. Kevin Nash is out of the show too as is too much of a risk for him to travel after having knee surgery.

Also, MVP, Harvey Wippleman, William Regal, Lillian Garcia and Howard Finkel have been added to appear on Raw this Monday.

Another huge Royal Rumble rumor:

Spoiler:

Former TNA champions EC3 and Bobby Lashley are no longer part of Impact Wrestling. It's almost certain that EC3 will join WWE and debut at the Rumble. Maybe Lashley will join him in the company too.
Old 01-20-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Chelsea should join Paige's stable, that way Paige can stay on as her manager and mentor. They would be a good fit for one another. Anything to keep Paige from going to some low rent promotion where she could destroy herself.
Old 01-21-18, 04:57 PM

WWE has posted on Facebook the intro video for tomorrow's Raw 25th Anniversary

Several things about the video:

1- No Hogan
2- Surprise to see CM Punk in it.
3- No Chris Benoit for obvious reasons
4- No Brian Pillman
5- No New Hart Foundation
6- Very little of the New Generation/Bret Hart/Diesel championship era is shown.
7- No Goldust, Vader, Val Venis, Brood, Bam Bam Bigelow, Stacy Kiebler
8- Focus of the video is more of the last 5-10 years
9- Although the video is kinda cool, I think it should have shown more wrestlers and early history of RAW
10- Too Much focus on the McMahons and DX
Old 01-22-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just finished watching the 25 greatest moments from Raw that aired last week. Two things that surprised me the most was CM Punk Pipe Bomb came in at number two and Ric Flair's retirement sendoff wasn't even mentioned.
Old 01-22-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished watching the 25 greatest moments from Raw that aired last week. Two things that surprised me the most was CM Punk Pipe Bomb came in at number two and Ric Flair's retirement sendoff wasn't even mentioned.
Yup, surprised by the inclusion of Punk. They're leaving the door open for his return.

As far as the spoilers go.
Spoiler:
EC3 would fit nicely on NXT. Roode, EC3, Samoa Joe, and Undisputed Era would have been a hell of an NXT Roster. Lashley would immediately get put into a program with Lesner I'd have to think.

I don't see the Daniel Bryan thing happening but it would be cool seeing Styles/Bryan in the opening match of WM...
Old 01-22-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Apparently Bret Hart won't be able to go to the 25th Anniversary of Raw because he has an appointment with a doctor for hand surgery. Bret had a botched surgery not so long ago and is getting a new doctor to fix it. Kevin Nash is out of the show too as is too much of a risk for him to travel after having knee surgery.

Also, MVP, Harvey Wippleman, William Regal, Lillian Garcia and Howard Finkel have been added to appear on Raw this Monday.

Another huge Royal Rumble rumor:

Spoiler:

Former TNA champions EC3 and Bobby Lashley are no longer part of Impact Wrestling. It's almost certain that EC3 will join WWE and debut at the Rumble. Maybe Lashley will join him in the company too.
What in the world? 2/3rds of the programs they've ran the last half decade have been based around those two. I don't want to see anyone unemployed but it almost feels like the industry would be better off if that place closed.
Old 01-22-18, 01:53 PM

The moments were ranked by fan vote, so that's why Punk is up there at #2 and Flair's retirement wans't on the top 25. Same reason as why people booing roman reigns last year the Raw after WM came at #6.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Yup, surprised by the inclusion of Punk. They're leaving the door open for his return.

As far as the spoilers go.
Spoiler:
EC3 would fit nicely on NXT. Roode, EC3, Samoa Joe, and Undisputed Era would have been a hell of an NXT Roster. Lashley would immediately get put into a program with Lesner I'd have to think.

I don't see the Daniel Bryan thing happening but it would be cool seeing Styles/Bryan in the opening match of WM...
Spoiler:

Since EC3 was already on NXT, it's kind of expected that if he shows up, it would be on the Rumble and that he gets an opportunity similar to AJ Styles. It seems that WWE doesn't have interest in Lashley and apparently he left in bad terms after being pushed to the moon by WWE. Although Lesnar and Lashley would be an obvious match, Vince is not interested in this according to reports.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.