Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 04-17-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's hard to fill 3 hours of RAW because they have a strict format that they don't want to deviate from. One of the cool things about Nitro when it was 3 hours was that we saw different things throughout the whole night and it kept the show unpredictable and interesting. The problem with RAW is that we know how it's going to start and how it's going to end.

There's too much main event talent in the WWE right now. All these wrestlers have been or could be World Champions:

Brock Lesnar
Roman Reigns
John Cena
Undertaker
Seth Rollins
Finn Barlor
Miz
Braun Strowman
Kane
Big Show
AJ Styles
Bobby Lashley
Dean Ambrose
Samoa Joe
Shaemus
Cesaro
Randy Orton
Daniel Bryan
Bobby Roode
Drew McKentyre
Dolph Ziggler
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
Bray Wyatt
Baron Corbin
Jinder Mahal
Rusev
Jason Jordan
Chris Jericho
Triple H
Big Cass
Elias
Kevin Owens
Sami Zayn
Kurt Angle
Nakamura

And this is only the guys. If we start going through the roster of female wrestlers and tag teams is even more.

There's no way WWE can afford not having a brand split right now, but they have to do it right. If not, there has to be another company that steps up and create true competition like WCW and ECW did back in the 90's
I was watching Kevin Nash on YouTube about the problems with WWE TV and he said they should start with a wrestling match on RAW instead of all the bullshit . It's cookie cutter (every show goes through the same format).
Old 04-17-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It might not be PC but why not have a Trump supporter or an illegal immigrant as a wrestler or both as heels? I know the WWE would do anything for a audience or ratings.

If this was the 80's it would have happened.
Old 04-17-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While it's been mentioned before, that Miz promo could be one helluva dig at John Cena by its mere existence. In the long run, Miz and Maryse won that feud.
Old 04-17-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
While it's been mentioned before, that Miz promo could be one helluva dig at John Cena by its mere existence. In the long run, Miz and Maryse won that feud.
I like how the crowd booed Miz and Maryse, but quieted down when they showed the baby. As if people are thinking "Wait a minute ... we can't boo a baby, can we?"

I'd say Smackdown easily got the better of the talent exchange. Samao Joe and Jeff Hardy can immediately be slotted into the upper/mid card title pictures (as will Miz and Almas). Tag teams got a big boost with Bar, Gallows/Anderson, and Sanity.

Yeah, they got Big Cass too But feuding with DB will give him a shot at a fresh start, and we'll find out if he's any good or not.
Old 04-17-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
It might not be PC but why not have a Trump supporter or an illegal immigrant as a wrestler or both as heels? I know the WWE would do anything for a audience or ratings.

If this was the 80's it would have happened.
Not really. The villains in the 80s were usually evil foreigners. This time around, the villain is Trump, an American, who is also Linda McMahon's boss. They tried doing a villain gimmick about extreme right wing with Jack Swagger and Dutch Mantell as Uncle Zebediah. Guess what? They ended up getting cheered and with the crowd repeating their catchphrases.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I like how the crowd booed Miz and Maryse, but quieted down when they showed the baby. As if people are thinking "Wait a minute ... we can't boo a baby, can we?"

I'd say Smackdown easily got the better of the talent exchange. Samao Joe and Jeff Hardy can immediately be slotted into the upper/mid card title pictures (as will Miz and Almas). Tag teams got a big boost with Bar, Gallows/Anderson, and Sanity.

Yeah, they got Big Cass too But feuding with DB will give him a shot at a fresh start, and we'll find out if he's any good or not.
I don't see any upside at Big Cass feuding with Daniel Bryan. Is Cass going over? Then they are going to shit all over him the same way fans shit on Roman Reigns. Is Bryan going over? Then Big Cass push will be stunted, similar to what happened last year with Baron Corbin and John Cena. Big Cass should be put over slowly, by taking out jobbers and midcarders and then going after top talent.

Also, what a way to make the Saudi Arabia show predictable. Shaemus and Cesaro will certainly lose against Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt cause why the fuck will the Raw tag belts be on Smackdown. Hardy is certainly going to beat Mahal as they aren't going to have both the IC title and US title on the same brand.

Things like this is what kills the product. Instead of making booking unpredictable, Vince and creative write themselves into a corner and make things extremely predictable for the viewers. If any other show does this, it would be cancelled in a heartbeat.

Again, what made the Attitude era and Monday Night Wars interesting was that the shows were unpredictable. After Vince bought WCW, WWE became stagnant because it's mostly predictable. One of the things that I took from last week's Prichard's podcast is how long the Authority storyline has been going. It's been 20 years now of the McMahon family against talent (Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, DX, Daniel Bryan, John Cena, CM Punk, etc). That's the same story over and over and over for over 20 years. It is fucking ridiculous.
Old 04-18-18, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've come to the conclusion that The Rock is a better wrestler than he is an actor and John Cena is a better actor than he is a wrestler.

In fact I'd rank it

1 The Rock the wrestler
2 John Cena the actor
3 Dwayne Johnson the actor.
4 John Cena the wrestler.

PS Batista is a better actor than both of them, but not as good a wrestler as either of them.

PPS Andre the Giant and Roddy Piper weren't very good actors, but They Live and The Princess Bride are still hands down the best movies that star a wrestler.
Old 04-18-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Joe is on Smackdown after starting a program with Reigns? That doesn't make any sense.

Still they don't move any of the big 3 (Reigns/Rollins/Balor) over to SD?

SD is clearly the "wrestlers" show with the addition of Almas, Joe and Sanity to go along with Styles, Bryan, Nakumura. Surprising they wouldn't want to put Cass into a program with Strowman on Raw.

Last edited by Timber; 04-18-18 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Joe is on Smackdown after starting a program with Reigns? That doesn't make any sense.
With dual-brand PPV's - we'll probably see a lot more inter-brand feuds now. It's why they should unify some titles.

I expect a reveal of Cass working for Miz. Makes sense with the Miztourage gone that he'd look for another goon.
Old 04-18-18, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
With dual-brand PPV's - we'll probably see a lot more inter-brand feuds now. It's why they should unify some titles.
Then why have a brand split after all?
Old 04-18-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE Hall of Famer Bruno Sammartino passes away.

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Bruno Sammartino passed away at age 82. The story of Bruno Sammartino is the story of the American dream.

During his childhood in the small Italian mountain town of Abruzzi, Italy, Bruno Sammartino heard stories about how the streets in the United States were paved with gold. Though he believed it literally at the time, Sammartino would experience fortune and fame first-hand as the longest-reigning WWE Champion and the most beloved competitor in the history of the squared circle.

Life wasn’t always so glorious for The Italian Superman. Bruno’s brother and sister both passed away at young ages, and Adolf Hitler’s Nazi forces seized their town, but Bruno persevered. He and his mother hid in a mountain called Valla Rocca during the German occupation and eventually joined his immigrant father in Pittsburgh in 1950.

Sammartino began lifting weights as a young man and grew to become one of the strongest men on the planet. After setting a world record in 1959 by bench-pressing 565 pounds, Sammartino caught the eye of Vincent J. McMahon, and became a sports-entertainer.

Bruno became an overnight sensation, connecting with not only fellow Italians, but also Latinos, Greeks and Jews, successfully bridging the gap in America’s melting pot of wrestling fans. His legend continued to grow on May 17, 1963, when Sammartino defeated Buddy Rogers in just 48 seconds to become the second-ever WWE Champion in front of nearly 20,000 fans at the old Madison Square Garden.

Bruno held the WWE Championship for nearly eight years — by far the longest reign of all time, and a record for all professional wrestling champions, no matter the organization. A household name all over the country, the beloved hero defended his title in legendary rivalries against WWE Hall of Famers Killer Kowalski, Gorilla Monsoon and George “The Animal” Steele.

In early 1968, Sammartino headlined the first wrestling event at the brand-new Madison Square Garden, just eight days after it opened. The Garden truly was the house that Bruno built, as he sold it out an astounding 187 times. When he lost the title to Ivan Koloff in 1971, grown men in the crowd were seen weeping, but on Dec. 10, 1973, Sammartino became the first two-time WWE Champion and held the title for an additional three-and-a-half years.

On Aug. 9, 1980, Sammartino defeated his former protégé, Larry Zbyszko, inside a steel cage at New York City’s Shea Stadium in front of more than 35,000 people. The heated grudge match broke box-office records for wrestling events, and Bruno retired from the ring the following year.

Bruno returned to WWE in the mid-80s as a broadcaster alongside Mr. McMahon and as a mentor for his son David, who was just beginning his grappling career. Now known as The Living Legend, Bruno also engaged in several rivalries with a generation of WWE’s greatest villains, including “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, “Macho Man” Randy Savage and The Honky Tonk Man.

The star power and influence of Sammartino was exemplified by the fact that he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2013 by none other than Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was the 188th and final time that Sammartino headlined and sold out Madison Square Garden. WWE extends its condolences to Sammartino’s family, friends and fans.

http://www.wwe.com/article/bruno-sam...?sf187243454=1
Old 04-18-18, 10:23 AM

Really sad about Bruno's passing. Coincidentally, this past weekend I was watching some of Bruno's matches from the 80's on Youtube and man, this guy was on fire even then. The matches with Randy Savage were awesome just because of the sheer intensity he had in the ring. I loved when Randy and him got into it while Bruno was being an announcer. Of course, these clips on Youtube lead me to the real life feud that Bruno and Vince had in the late 80's until several years ago. It's sad that Bruno and WWE were estranged for so many years.
Old 04-18-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I've come to the conclusion that The Rock is a better wrestler than he is an actor and John Cena is a better actor than he is a wrestler.

In fact I'd rank it

1 The Rock the wrestler
2 John Cena the actor
3 Dwayne Johnson the actor.
4 John Cena the wrestler.

PS Batista is a better actor than both of them, but not as good a wrestler as either of them.

PPS Andre the Giant and Roddy Piper weren't very good actors, but They Live and The Princess Bride are still hands down the best movies that star a wrestler.
While the Rock's recent movies all seem to have him playing variations of the same character, he's shown some range. I thought his best acting was in Snitch (a movie that didn't do particularly well). I very much see him shocking people with his acting as gets older and tries out some non-action movies.

I've only seen John Cena play muscle-bound dorks ... which, if you believe reality tv, is just what the guy is really like. And besides Guardians of the Galaxy, I've only seen Batista play generic thugs. It's hard to judge their acting skills from that.
Old 04-18-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dwayne has more charisma than John, that's not even close. Cena has natural comedic timing that I never expected to see when he first started acting. I don't think Cena can carry a movie like Rock but seeing Cena play bit parts or unexpected roles always seems to make me laugh.
Old 04-18-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hardy is certainly going to beat Mahal as they aren't going to have both the IC title and US title on the same brand.
Miz still has the IC rematch against Rollins at Backlash.
Old 04-18-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and another "grand slam champion" that hasn't held the Universal Title.
Old 04-18-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RIP Bruno Sammartino

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Old 04-18-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

“No. 1” Paul Jones Dead, Aged 75.

Just hours after the wrestling world was stunned with the announcement of Bruno Sammartino‘s passing, it was announced tonight that one of the NWA’s most reliable heels from the 1970s and most untrustworthy managers of the 1980s, also passed away.

Paul Frederik, better known as “No. 1” Paul Jones, died today, at the age of 75. No details of his passing have been released.

A former Golden Gloves and Texas Heavyweight Champion boxer, Paul Jones made his pro wrestling debut in 1961, a protege of Houston Wrestling‘s Paul Boesch.

Throughout the 1960’s, he was a regular not only with Boesch, but Fritz Von Erich‘s Big Time Wrestling (precursor to WCCW), NWA Mid America (Memphis territory prior to Jerry Lawler & Jerry Jarrett’s CWA) and Championship Wrestling From Florida.

In 1968, he joined Jim Crockett in NWA Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, before departing in 1971 back to Florida. He returned to Mid-Atlantic for good in 1974, this time working for Jim Crockett Jr., and never looked back.

A 6x NWA World Tag Team Champion (two each with The Masked Superstar and Baron Von Raschke), a multi-time tag team champion with Ricky Steamboat (1x NWA World Tag Team, 3x NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team), and a 3x NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion as a singles wrestler, Jones was one of Mid-Atlantic’s top stars during the height of the 1970s territorial days.

As his wrestling career wound down in the early 1980s, he became a top manager in the company, forming Paul Jones’ Army in 1982 (which featured such wrestlers as Rick Rude, “Superstar” Billy Graham, Manny Fernandez, and The Powers of Pain), continuing through the sale to Ted Turner and the rebranding to WCW, before retiring in 1989.

http://lastwordonprowrestling.com/20...-dead-aged-75/

This one really hurts. I had fond memories of watching Paul Jones in the NWA when I was just a kid.
Old 04-19-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-19-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ric Flair got dance moves

Old 04-20-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like some kind of std that Flair spread around.
Old 04-20-18, 08:13 PM

Ronda has only one match and she's front and center of this DVD release. No Chyna, AJ Lee or Gail Kim.

Old 04-20-18, 09:35 PM

Coach is out of the commentary team and Booker T is back. I still don't know why they need a 3 man team, but that's another thing Vince keeps insisting on.
Old 04-20-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ronda has only one match and she's front and center of this DVD release. No Chyna, AJ Lee or Gail Kim.

Also no woman who they were gonna name a WM Battle Royal after

AJ Lee and Chyna not on the cover is entirely shady af,and even though I am a fan of Gail Kim I get why she is not on the cover.Gail has shooted against Stephanie in interviews her resume of what she did in WWE is not much,her not being on the cover imo is no different then a NJPW or Shimmer Female Icon not being on the cover since HOF resume is due to what she did in TNA. That said I wouldn't be shocked if Gail,AJ and Chyna are all someday in the WWE HOF. If those JJ,Macho Man,Warrior and Bruno wounds can heel so will those other one's eventually. AJ in particular has a NY Times best seller and that's the kind of stuff WWE trip themselves over to associate with.
Old 04-21-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Coach is out of the commentary team and Booker T is back.
Coach is only missing Saudi Arabia & one Raw. Big whoop.

Last edited by GuessWho; 04-21-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Attended both nights of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: All Star Weekend 14.

I'm going to miss that Legion Hall but look forward to wherever the Promotion moves to next (most likely The Globe Theatre in Los Angeles, CA).

Final show in Reseda, CA is supposed to take place on May 25th.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.