DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-16-18, 09:20 PM   #926
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

I'll admit that I didn't watch the Reigns/Lesner match at WM but I can't imagine there was outside interference or that Lesner was trying to escape from Reigns. Isn't that the point of a steel cage match? Maybe my problem is I want my wrestling to make sense. Why would a guy that got absolutely destroyed get a rematch?
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 04-16-18, 09:25 PM   #927
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post

Why can't they just admit that this guy is not THE guy?
That has been the problem all along for the past 3-4 years. Vince is adamant to push Roman no matter what, the same way he has pushed Cena and refused to turn him heel for over 12 years now.

As for the whole roster shakeup, it sucks that there's no rhyme or reason to any change. Why couldn't they do a draft? Or have both GMs and making trades live on Raw?

I was listening to Bruce Prichard's podcast from a couple of weeks ago that talked about the first draft WWE did after the brand extension. The podcast showed what all the rumors have said, that Vince is hard to work for as he sees logic on shit that doesn't have logic and that when he's adamant on doing something, he'll do it no matter what. The failure of the brand extension then was that these wrestlers were crossing over to each other's show so any sense of competition got lost. WWE has reached the same point again with the current version of the brand extension. They are going to dual brand PPVs moving forward. It kills the whole purpose of having 2 separate brands. The current WWE roster is big enough to have 2 brands running separate PPVs. With one PPV a month, how are they going to resolve storyline and feuds from each show? I imagine that once again the undercard is going to get the shaft. Or they could be even worse, and make these PPVs 4-5 hours, which again, looking at Wrestlemania, it wasn't a good idea as the crowd was dead after hour 3.
Old 04-16-18, 09:27 PM   #928
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'll admit that I didn't watch the Reigns/Lesner match at WM but I can't imagine there was outside interference or that Lesner was trying to escape from Reigns. Isn't that the point of a steel cage match? Maybe my problem is I want my wrestling to make sense. Why would a guy that got absolutely destroyed get a rematch?
And, really, he HAS to finally go over here, right? I mean, that's the reason to have Joe beat him down each week verbally

but....

Crowd behind Joe like he's face.

Thing is, Reigns pretty much has to win this one as there's not much else for him which means he goes on to beat Joe at Backlash to continue this failed experiment.

I agree, no reason for the rematch seeing how he's had his shot a few times. Crowd just not behind him. It didn't work...move on.
Old 04-16-18, 09:28 PM   #929
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post

I was listening to Bruce Prichard's podcast from a couple of weeks ago that talked about the first draft WWE did after the brand extension. The podcast showed what all the rumors have said, that Vince is hard to work for as he sees logic on shit that doesn't have logic and that when he's adamant on doing something, he'll do it no matter what. The failure of the brand extension then was that these wrestlers were crossing over to each other's show so any sense of competition got lost. WWE has reached the same point again with the current version of the brand extension. They are going to dual brand PPVs moving forward. It kills the whole purpose of having 2 separate brands. The current WWE roster is big enough to have 2 brands running separate PPVs. With one PPV a month, how are they going to resolve storyline and feuds from each show? I imagine that once again the undercard is going to get the shaft. Or they could be even worse, and make these PPVs 4-5 hours, which again, looking at Wrestlemania, it wasn't a good idea as the crowd was dead after hour 3.
Kind of like how this shakeup doesn't quite matter as much considering co-branded PPVs
Old 04-16-18, 09:32 PM   #930
DVD Talk Legend

Annnnnnnd you have a comedy tag team beat the recent champs who are going into a match for title in two weeks. Yeah, alrighty.
Old 04-16-18, 09:32 PM   #931
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, we're losing Miz to Smackdown? Oh wait, I can see him on the next PPV 3 weeks from now...or tomorrow night on the same channel at the same time.

Damn, I love Breezedango. They don't get old to me.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 04-16-18, 09:48 PM   #932
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lashley needs a new theme music. That one he has is generic as hell.

We can assume now that Rollins is going to Smackdown now since he is the IC champ.

I'm kinda disappointed Roode is now on Raw. I'm going to a Tuesday Smackdown show in a month and wanted to see his entrance live.
Old 04-16-18, 09:58 PM   #933
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Lashley needs a new theme music. That one he has is generic as hell.
It sounds like one of the ten generic choices you had in an old WWF videogame
Old 04-16-18, 10:46 PM   #934

I don't know why they don't pair Reigns with the Usos. Give them the World title and Tag titles. They'd be an awesome heel faction. You could even throw in Samoa Joe and give him the US/IC title. They could be like the Horsemen.
Old 04-17-18, 12:34 AM   #935
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Why can't they just admit that this guy is not THE guy?
He's not a bad guy, he's not a good guy, he's just A guy.
Old 04-17-18, 07:20 AM   #936
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Nikki Bella 'Devastated' Over John Cena Split: Source

Nikki Bella is “heartbroken” by her split from John Cena just weeks before they were set to tie the knot.

Although Cena, 40, admitted in the past that he didn’t want to get married again — he was previously married to Elizabeth Huberdeau from 2009 until 2012 — he got down on one knee and proposed to Bella in April 2017. However, a source tells PEOPLE that he started getting cold feet as the wedding date drew near.

“She never gave him an ultimatum. He talked a really good game about having changed, about having his priorities straight, about knowing what’s important, and that it was her. But as the day got closer, it was like he just went back to who he’s always been — which is someone who puts himself first, always,” the insider says. “He’s an incredibly dedicated, driven, ambitious guy. And for the longest time he said he didn’t think he had room in his life for a spouse or kids. It seems like in the end that was still the truth.”

The source continues, “But in that case, he never should’ve proposed, let alone in front of millions of people. Now she’s heartbroken.”

“This was supposed to be the happiest time of her life,” the source adds. “He ruined it and blew everything up.”
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 04-17-18, 08:38 AM   #937
DVD Talk Legend

she is hot as fuck and he is rich. They will be fine.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 04-17-18, 08:50 AM   #938
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Of course this is WWE we are talking about, but having a co-branded PPVs with both brands having their own set of Champions makes no sense. There is no way eeven half of all the titles will be defended on the monthly PPVs.

And mid-card folks will never see the light of day again.
Old 04-17-18, 09:55 AM   #939
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WWE needs less PPV's and more unscheduled on the WWE Network house show's.
Old 04-17-18, 10:07 AM   #940
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
WWE needs less PPV's and more unscheduled on the WWE Network house show's.
Why do they need less PPVs? They have the talent to carry 2 shows with 2 separate rosters, then they should be able to have different branded PPVs. The problem is that Vince still makes Smackdown look like the B show. The main angles are still focused on the Raw brand. In the past year, look at how many of the big 4 PPVs had the Raw brand match ending the show. Royal Rumble had the Brock Lesnar fight before the women's rumble that was won by Asuka, a Raw roster member. Summerslam last year had the 5 man Raw championship match featuring Lesnar. Wrestlemania this year ended with Lesnar beating Roman. Survivor Series had Team Raw vs Team Smackdown, with Team Raw winning. It is Vince's fault that the brand split ain't working.
Old 04-17-18, 10:14 AM   #941
DVD Talk Legend

You can look at the rosters and see that Smackdown is the B show. I don't mind that because it's a chance to see the AJ Styles' shine. Now if Rollins and/or Balor get moved to Tuesday I might change my mind. As it stands we're just going to have Miz and Owens/Zayn swap back and forth every year.

And why the hell would they leave the Miztourage on Raw? They don't wrestle except for when Miz is involved so you're turning them back into jobbers and taking the lackey role away?
Old 04-17-18, 10:31 AM   #942
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTW...ature=youtu.be

"I don't want to be going for the championship of the universe. Do you know how silly that is? I don't want to be champion of the universe. I want to be the World Champion.
Old 04-17-18, 10:33 AM   #943
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Of course this is WWE we are talking about, but having a co-branded PPVs with both brands having their own set of Champions makes no sense. There is no way even half of all the titles will be defended on the monthly PPVs.
Comon man, we are getting the Best Of Both Worlds!

Old 04-17-18, 11:10 AM   #944
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You can look at the rosters and see that Smackdown is the B show. I don't mind that because it's a chance to see the AJ Styles' shine. Now if Rollins and/or Balor get moved to Tuesday I might change my mind. As it stands we're just going to have Miz and Owens/Zayn swap back and forth every year.
I think Smackdown can come out really well from the roster shakeup. Who did Raw get? Besides KO and Zayn, looks like a lot of midcarders and jobbers. Jinder, Dolph, Roode, Fashion Police, Natayla, Riott Squad, Mojo, Ryder, Corbin, Kanellis, Gable, and The Ascension. If Smackdown gets anyone decent besides Miz, then they look to improve.

Quote:
And why the hell would they leave the Miztourage on Raw? They don't wrestle except for when Miz is involved so you're turning them back into jobbers and taking the lackey role away?
They always do that in these roster swaps, don't they? And it never makes sense. Break up guys whose only value is in a team/group. And then watch them get buried/forgotten.
Old 04-17-18, 11:24 AM   #945
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why do they need less PPVs? They have the talent to carry 2 shows with 2 separate rosters, then they should be able to have different branded PPVs. The problem is that Vince still makes Smackdown look like the B show. The main angles are still focused on the Raw brand. In the past year, look at how many of the big 4 PPVs had the Raw brand match ending the show. Royal Rumble had the Brock Lesnar fight before the women's rumble that was won by Asuka, a Raw roster member. Summerslam last year had the 5 man Raw championship match featuring Lesnar. Wrestlemania this year ended with Lesnar beating Roman. Survivor Series had Team Raw vs Team Smackdown, with Team Raw winning. It is Vince's fault that the brand split ain't working.
Too much doesn't mean that it's any good.

Too much PPV hype is one reason why I stay away from their tv product.

Triple H admitted in the past that they have a hard time filling 3 hours of RAW.

Imagine how hard it is too fill time for PPVs.

I would like too see unannounced house shows with no hype on the WWE Network.

I don't believe in a brand split.

I would like too see other promotions have their product on the WWE Network. I mentioned this years ago before the WWE seemed interested(they did mention it when they were doing survey's).
Old 04-17-18, 11:52 AM   #946
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Too much doesn't mean that it's any good.

Too much PPV hype is one reason why I stay away from their tv product.

Triple H admitted in the past that they have a hard time filling 3 hours of RAW.

Imagine how hard it is too fill time for PPVs.

I would like too see unannounced house shows with no hype on the WWE Network.

I don't believe in a brand split.

I would like too see other promotions have their product on the WWE Network. I mentioned this years ago before the WWE seemed interested(they did mention it when they were doing survey's).
It's hard to fill 3 hours of RAW because they have a strict format that they don't want to deviate from. One of the cool things about Nitro when it was 3 hours was that we saw different things throughout the whole night and it kept the show unpredictable and interesting. The problem with RAW is that we know how it's going to start and how it's going to end.

There's too much main event talent in the WWE right now. All these wrestlers have been or could be World Champions:

Brock Lesnar
Roman Reigns
John Cena
Undertaker
Seth Rollins
Finn Barlor
Miz
Braun Strowman
Kane
Big Show
AJ Styles
Bobby Lashley
Dean Ambrose
Samoa Joe
Shaemus
Cesaro
Randy Orton
Daniel Bryan
Bobby Roode
Drew McKentyre
Dolph Ziggler
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
Bray Wyatt
Baron Corbin
Jinder Mahal
Rusev
Jason Jordan
Chris Jericho
Triple H
Big Cass
Elias
Kevin Owens
Sami Zayn
Kurt Angle
Nakamura

And this is only the guys. If we start going through the roster of female wrestlers and tag teams is even more.

There's no way WWE can afford not having a brand split right now, but they have to do it right. If not, there has to be another company that steps up and create true competition like WCW and ECW did back in the 90's
Old 04-17-18, 11:52 AM   #947
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get, with the roster they have, why it's hard to fill three hours of Raw. Is it because they don't want to step on the main event's toes or something? Otherwise let some of these midcard and lower card guys just go in the ring, let some other writers develop stories and let them show some personality.
Old 04-17-18, 11:54 AM   #948
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
We can assume now that Rollins is going to Smackdown now since he is the IC champ
Can’t assume; that’s only a 50% chance.

The other 50% is that Smackdown can draft Jeff Hardy and get the US Title back there.
Old 04-17-18, 12:09 PM   #949
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Can’t assume; that’s only a 50% chance.

The other 50% is that Smackdown can draft Jeff Hardy and get the US Title back there.
Oh, I didn't think of that. That's an awfully "creative" way to keep Rollins on Raw and swap Hardy.

They should be able to fill 3 hours easily with that roster on Raw. The problem is that we see the same thing and same people every week. We don't need to see Strowman every week. Did we really need Reigns to come out the last 2 weeks just to get booed and talk? Not everyone needs to be in a program to have a match. I liked seeing AOP in a "squash match", it's how they built Strowman and Jax and I think that's some of the best work the bookers have done lately.
Old 04-17-18, 12:16 PM   #950
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking Auska, Jeff Hardy, Strowman, The Bar, Cass, Absolution, Balor are some headed to smackdown