Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 04-08-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Braun and a 10 year old kid got more love and pop than AJ/Nakamura. What a world
Old 04-08-18, 10:45 PM

Disagree. I think the fans enjoyed both matches for different reasons.
Old 04-08-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the kid wasnít a plant, what wouldíve happened if he charged at Cesaro after getting tagged in? Catch 22 ... either Cesaro has to sell for the kid, or put his hands on him.

Crowd is responding to Lesnar/Reigns like I thought.
Old 04-08-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
If the kid wasnít a plant, what wouldíve happened if he charged at Cesaro after getting tagged in? Catch 22 ... either Cesaro has to sell for the kid, or put his hands on him.
As Corey said 'this is a lawsuit waiting to happen'
Old 04-08-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This crowd ainít buying this No shits to be given for Roman overcoming the odds. At least Rock isnít going to be embarrassed by raising his hand at the end. What was WWE thinking ending the show like this. Maybe a surprise is coming, but I canít figure out what it could be.
Old 04-08-18, 11:01 PM

The crowd is completely shitting on this main event.
Old 04-08-18, 11:03 PM

Finally.

Kicking out of 6 finishers (and 1 through a table) was ridiculous.

Despite that, Lesnar still looked like a monster.
Old 04-08-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was the point of that?

And you know the only reason the crowd popped at the end was because it was over.
Old 04-08-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think i legit heard a 'this is awful' chant and this is when Brock took off the gloves and was punching Reigns in the face
Old 04-08-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
Braun and a 10 year old kid got more love and pop than AJ/Nakamura. What a world
I'm not sold on WWE's face version of Nakamura. Hopefully the heel version does more impact moves. I still haven't seen what made him so great in New Japan translate over in WWE.

The whole thing with Braun and the kid looks like it was for a Make-a-Wish thing. It was fun for what it was, but again, it devalues the championships.

I was hoping Roman really won so WWE could get away from Brock. Seriously, I don't understand what he brings to the table. He's a part time champion who doesn't sell for anyone in the roster other than Braun. The only match he lost in the past 2 years has been to Goldberg. And as more time passes, Lesnar looks more out of shape and more careless in the ring.

Still, I feel other than how long it was, this is easily one of the best Wrestlemania ever and the match of the night was Asuka vs Charlotte.
Old 04-08-18, 11:14 PM

That long slow walk back from Reigns was hilarious. Someone should edit that video with the Incredible Hulk walking away song.

I had a feeling they were trying to get a "Thank You Roman" chant from the crowd. Or at least some applause. But the crowd was more interested in going home.
Old 04-08-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I'm not sold on WWE's face version of Nakamura. Hopefully the heel version does more impact moves. I still haven't seen what made him so great in New Japan translate over in WWE.
cause i don't watch smackdown but his work in NXT was great
Old 04-08-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show peaked at Rousey/Angle v HHH/Stephanie and just lost steam from there. 6 hours is too fucking long for the show, I can't imagine how exhausted the audience at the show feel.
Old 04-09-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Taker looked good tonight. I think a short match was the right route to take and I thought it was a fun little squash.
Old 04-09-18, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I think i legit heard a 'this is awful' chant and this is when Brock took off the gloves and was punching Reigns in the face
You did. Along with my personal fave: "CM Punk"
Old 04-09-18, 01:21 AM

Enjoyed the show, but it was long.

Felt the whole thing had a hard time getting off the ground to match the grandeur that's expected from the event.

While both women's matches were great, I felt the booking was strange. Alexis is just so much more interesting than Nia. How will they justify her win past her size. Too much winning for Alexis could turn her stale though...so I get it. And Auska losing? Not that she can win forever, but the end felt abrupt and beneath her three year streak. As someone whose watched her since her nxt debut, it didn't feel 'right.' Best match of the night. How soon until they introduce more belts for the women's division? Only two belts leads to a rumble type match that devalues what they claim to be creating. Are they pushing for a women's show ala 205 live?

The rousey match was the peak of the show. Interesting storytelling, great dastardly 80s heel shit from hhh and Stephani. Classic wrestling, I loved it. Rousey looked her best and sexy as hell. Management did a great job booking that match to put rousey over big time.

Bummed that nakamura didn't get a belt. My folks came over to watch and I said that match was going to be a catalyst for how that style or wrestling will be viewed going forward. While the match was great, the crowd felt dead and a slow striking physical match didn't match the big time feel of wrestle mania. The audience watched in the same way that Japanese fans watch. Polite and engaged...but quiet. Selfishly I wanted those two to get about ten more minutes to build their story. Love the heel turn and that it seems they are going to continue this feud, but I fear that nakumura will just fade into mid card status ala Balor. Does the more 'local' old school nxt full sail crowd create stars that simply cannot Transend to the mainstream, or is it really all about the star and their desire to get after it?

Brock is a beast and brings a certain terrifying heavyweight status to that belt. Shocked, but love him retaining. Reigns bleeds pretty good. Everyone joked about its name, but name another wrestler that should have the Universal belt. There is a small status of wrestler that can be perceived at that level. We can complain, but Vince should pay lesnar whatever he wants to stay. For one, it allows heyman to continue to be a prominent part of the business and two, lesnar walking out feels legit big fight material. Reminds me of when I was a kid and there would be a Tyson fight. You know you are about to get some heavy lifting mean shit...and I love that. I think they push Stroman...cos who else?

Looking forward to next year. Baylee/banks should be a slow built. Maybe survivor series, but those two are good enough to headline next year. Where does Reigns go now? Will bryan fizzle, or how long will we back his underdog idea now that we know so much about his real life? Where do they go with Rollins headlining the mid card? I'd Charlotte now unbeatable? Will Finn be the first openly gay wwe star, or should that be given to the velveteen dream. And V Dream...the sky is the damn limit. They should develop him slow so that he headlines wrestle manias in 8 to ten years. Or is he just a modern day mid card rick rude? Is Alister Black allowed to wrestle the undertaker if both are under the guidance of Satan and therefore in the same side? Seriously, if cena got squashed so hard, why couldn't it be from the American Badass version of taker? Isn't that why kid rock got a ring? Seriously, did Cena build all that program and time to looked scared and get squashed. Guess his 'time has come'...and gone. Surprised that he would build that entire program for nothing...or they are -building something for taker. Maybe a title win against Lenard...because who else is on that universal level.

Everything is meaningless, but damn it if I don't love professional wrestling.
Old 04-09-18, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The highlight of the show for me was Rousey/Angle vs Steph/HHH. Not only was it an excellent match, but I was blown away with how good Rousey looked for her first wrestling match EVER. I think she'll end up being a natural like Kurt Angle was. For now though, they REALLY need to put her with Heyman, which I believe has been rumoured anyhow.

Styles/Nakumura was a good match, but I expected a lot more. It should have been the Steamboat/Savage match of the show but it didn't live up. The best match of the night was Charlotte/Asuka. If everything works out with Ronda, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Charlotte/Ronda were the first female Wrestlemania headliners next year.

Seeing Daniel Bryan back was great and his match was really good, but I think it will be awhile before I can watch him take a bump and not get anxiety.

Balor/Rollins/Miz was a great match too, I thought it was a travesty than Balor didn't come out as the Demon King though.

Lesnar/Reigns surprised me as I thought for SURE Reigns was going over. I thought Reigns finally gets anointed, Lesnar leaves for UFC and Heyman gets put with Ronda. Raw tomorrow and the fallout from this match is going to be interesting. I really have no clue where this is heading.

The Taker/Cena squash was a bit of a shock. But considering the shows runtime I guess I'm thankful it was. Since Taker is retiring and Cena has one foot out the door I guess there was really no reason to have a longer match from WWE's standpoint.

Strowman not having a real surprise partner was a huge letdown. Before the announcement my friends and I were throwing every name possible out there. Bobby Lashley, Chris Jericho, Samoa Joe, Rey Mysterio, Travis Browne. We even briefly floated the idea of Hogan. Having it be some ref's kid was a bummer. That said, although it was a Wrestlemania letdown, going forward having Braun be the tag team champions BY HIMSELF is a stroke of genius.

All in all I'd give the show a C +. It was good, but according to my friends NXT blew it away. I'm about to watch it now.
Old 04-09-18, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't believe when they said this was the first time in 10 years that the Uso's made the main show. That's some shit right there. The guys have carried their tag division and put on some damn good matches and they've been relegated to the preshow for 10 years?
Old 04-09-18, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Balor/Rollins/Miz was a great match too, I thought it was a travesty than Balor didn't come out as the Demon King though.
I like that they didn't do it. I think there should be a good reason for the Demon King to come out and this wasn't one, IMO. Plus, he lost.

I also think they want to go all in on this 'Balor Club for Everyone' thing, which I think is a good message for the younger fans.
Old 04-09-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt too many people noticed, but apparently this was the reason why Alicia Fox wasn't in the battle royal

Old 04-09-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good show. Way to long though. Rousey stole the show for sure. And I didn't like Styles / Nakamura nearly as much as their 2016 Wrestle Kingdom bout. Hysterical that Lesnar buried Reigns though. Hopefully that is the even of his endless push.
Old 04-09-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by outcastja View Post
The show peaked at Rousey/Angle v HHH/Stephanie and just lost steam from there. 6 hours is too fucking long for the show, I can't imagine how exhausted the audience at the show feel.
Agree. The first half of the show was great. After that one could argue it turned into the Wrestlemania equivalent of The Last Jedi to some people. I hope we're not in for ANOTHER year of Reigns chasing the title. The fans dislike this, don't do it anymore. They clearly thought it was awful (like several thousand people chanting it aloud).
Old 04-09-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ronda did indeed steal the show. She did great and it was just a fun match.
Old 04-09-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see where they go with Reigns now. I mean, he's main evented the last 4 WM and didn't get his coronation after conquering the Undertaker and getting a massive push to be the next Cena. I don't know where they go with Lesnar either. Who are they going to use to beat him for the belt? Lesnar has run over the entire main event card and the only one who had even matches was Goldberg, Taker and Braun Strowman. Vince has booked himself into a corner again. Also, I don't want to see Daniel Bryan anywhere near Brock. Daniel will go back to early retirement after being mistreated by Lesnar.
Old 04-09-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They can throw some gaga at Lesner and get the belt off of him if need be. Have him stripped for not defending it or have him walk out. Hell even a MitB can get it off of him. My problem isn't getting it off of him, my problem is having the next champion look as strong as him. The next champ is going to be on TV every week and this myth they've created around the Universal Title will be washed away.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.