DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-12-18, 11:29 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Wait, Aries in back in Impact and the champion? Guess that shows how much attention I pay to Impact.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 01-12-18, 12:14 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

I think he just won it from Drake after debuting... the more things change...
Old 01-12-18, 04:26 PM   #53
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to PWI Insiders WWE Doc's have told Paige she is done as an in ring performer.

Pretty awful news to have your career be essentially done at 25.

Hope they at least keep her on as long as she wants as a manager.
Old 01-12-18, 04:41 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Spoiler:
It seems so. He we'll be appearing on the 25th Anniversary Raw in 2 weeks. I don't think he will lose to Cena though. I think Vince will want to let him go off to the sunset with a win.
Spoiler:
I won’t lie part of me is glad that if he is wrestling again he can have a match with a guy that’s more his caliber. I don’t love Cena but he’s the current big star so I think it would be more fitting to have that as his final match. Still not my first pick but infinitely better than Roman Reigns. My big thing is that Taker needs to just decide and not tease that every year will be his last like he seemingly has been doing the past few years. I also hope that he can go a good match and not just work a sloppy one. The guy is awesome but he’s clearly past his prime and has looked rough for a while. It won’t hurt either guy to do the job at this point so I could see it going either way but I sorta hope Taker goes over.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-12-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 05:22 PM   #55
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
According to PWI Insiders WWE Doc's have told Paige she is done as an in ring performer.

I just read that online. It is unfortunate that this happened to her at such a young age. Similar to Magnum TA, she will become a what could have been. Now, we'll see how she reacts to this news. Either she stays with WWE as a trainer/agent/management/personality or she implodes, quits the company and starts wrestling on the indy scene until she ends up like Dynamite Kid or even worse, kills herself. I hope she gets the help she needs cause it's pretty obvious that Paige can turn into an emotional wreck in a short period of time.
Old 01-13-18, 03:52 AM   #56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Speaking of Dynamite Kid, its a shame he's such a loose cannon these days because I feel like the WWE would love to induct The British Bulldogs into the HOF. Just not when one is dead and ones in a wheelchair (from wrestling) and is pretty much crazy. Same thing happened with Ole and the Horsemen. Whereas at least they had someone just as worthy in Windham, who could be substitued in that instance.

The WWE is so far behind the 8ball when it comes to inducting tag teams. The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, The Rockers, Demolition, The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, The Midnight Express, The New Age Outlaws. Hell you could even argue The Natural Disasters, Powers of Pain and The Killer Bees.

Hopefully with The Rock n Roll Express going in last year, the Midnight Express and Cornette aren't far behind.
Old 01-13-18, 07:03 AM   #57
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Speaking of Dynamite Kid, its a shame he's such a loose cannon these days because I feel like the WWE would love to induct The British Bulldogs into the HOF. Just not when one is dead and ones in a wheelchair (from wrestling) and is pretty much crazy. Same thing happened with Ole and the Horsemen. Whereas at least they had someone just as worthy in Windham, who could be substitued in that instance.

The WWE is so far behind the 8ball when it comes to inducting tag teams. The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, The Rockers, Demolition, The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, The Midnight Express, The New Age Outlaws. Hell you could even argue The Natural Disasters, Powers of Pain and The Killer Bees.

Hopefully with The Rock n Roll Express going in last year, the Midnight Express and Cornette aren't far behind.
I think The Powers of Pain are part of the lawsuit against the WWE.

Even though I liked the PoP ,I would put The Nasty Boys in ahead of them(unless they are already in).
Old 01-13-18, 08:08 AM   #58

So sad her career ending like this. I just hope she doesn't do harm to herself.
Old 01-13-18, 10:18 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I think The Powers of Pain are part of the lawsuit against the WWE.
So are Demolition. But look at everything Superstar Billy Graham did to Vince and he still went in.
Old 01-13-18, 11:21 AM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn that was a stiff kick. I don't even watch the product anymore but I always thought Paige had a pretty cool x-factor that could make her a star. Sad to see her career end at 25.
Old 01-13-18, 11:36 AM   #61
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-13-18, 12:52 PM   #62
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post

Dynamite has always been a loose cannon and left such a bad taste on people's mouths, especially towards the end of his career. I doubt he would go in before he passes away. I think Davey Boy Smith will certainly go in first, with Bret Hart doing the induction and Harry Smith accepting for his dad. (By the way, I feel that Davey Boy should be back in WWE after his finishes his Japan stint.)

Of the Tag Teams you mention above, I only see The Hart Foundation, Harlem Heat, Midnight Express, New Age Outlaws and the Killer Bees being inducted. The Powers of Pain didn't do much to merit induction plus they are part of the lawsuit. The Natural Disasters may go in but I think Earthquake will go in before that happens. Scott Steiner doesn't want to be inducted into the HOF as he is at odds with WWE, HHH, Hogan and many others right now. The Rockers won't go in anytime soon due to Marty Jannetty's erratic behavior. I think Jannetty should get some of the DDP Yoga rehab. Demolition is also part of the lawsuit and Bill Eadie has been at odds with the company for years now.
Old 01-13-18, 01:22 PM   #63

Will FOX be WWE’s next television home?

Over the past few days, the rumors of WWE entertaining the idea of moving to FOX has come up, largely thanks to an extensive report written in the Wrestling Observer newsletter.

WWE will be seeking to lock in either a renewal with NBCUniversal or else find a new home by a target date of May of this year even though the potential move cannot happen until the last quarter of 2019.

Last time WWE negotiated a deal with NBCUniversal, they got much less money than they hoped for and it drove the company’s stock down big time.

FOX is currently locked in a contract with the UFC, a contract which cost them big, big money. That deal is about to expire and UFC will be doing what WWE is doing right now: shopping around.

If FOX loses UFC, the company might go all out to replace UFC programming with WWE and could pay a premium to fill the many hours which would be left void by the departure of the UFC.

This, of course, would be great news for WWE and its shareholders. The WON report even considers the possibility of FOX buying out WWE completely. With FOX selling many of its assets to Disney, FOX is now cash rich and might want to invest that money again.

Getting Vince McMahon to agree to a deal where he sells the family business will be a hard task to accomplish but at the end of the day, it’s all about money.

The UFC was sold for $4.3 billion and if WWE can get remotely close to that sum, it would be very hard to turn down the offer.

If WWE ends up on FOX in the future, chances are that the flagship show Monday Night Raw would move to the main FOX station, making the jump from cable to network for the first time in its 25-year history.

FOX, unlike USA Network, is a free-to-air station and can be reached by anyone with a home antenna. The downside of moving Raw to FOX on network would be the 3-hour format.

The majority of FOX affiliates have news at 10PM so that would mean Raw has to end by then with no overruns.

FOX also has a number of channels that can accommodate WWE programming, including Fox Sports 1 and 2, FX, FXX, and many others.

In late November, The Business Journals reported that WWE met with FOX execs in Los Angeles to pitch their programming power to them.

Chief Financial and Strategy officer George Barrios and EVP of Talent, Live Events, and Creative Paul “Triple H” Levesque were present for the meeting with FOX.

Company officials also met with CBS and Disney along with Amazon and YouTube to discuss potential partnerships.

http://www.wrestling-online.com/wwe/...levision-home/
Old 01-13-18, 02:43 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FX and FXX are part of the Disney deal. If it goes through, they won't be Fox networks anymore. All Fox will have left are the Broadcast channel, the two Fox Sports national channels, Fox News, and Fox Business (regional sports networks also go to Disney).

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 01-13-18, 02:50 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why doesn't the WWE hook up with ESPN?

They could use some of the old school stuff on ESPN Classic.
Old 01-13-18, 02:52 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
FX and FXX are part of the Disney deal. If it goes through, they won't be Fox networks anymore. All Fox will have left are the Broadcast channel, the two Fox Sports national channels, Fox News, and Fox Business (regional sports networks also go to Disney).

Fox has Fox Soccer Plus and a Few regional college sports networks(including Big Ten Network). I haven't heard anything official about those channels.
Old 01-15-18, 02:46 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-15-18, 03:04 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Dynamite has always been a loose cannon and left such a bad taste on people's mouths, especially towards the end of his career. I doubt he would go in before he passes away. I think Davey Boy Smith will certainly go in first, with Bret Hart doing the induction and Harry Smith accepting for his dad. (By the way, I feel that Davey Boy should be back in WWE after his finishes his Japan stint.)

Of the Tag Teams you mention above, I only see The Hart Foundation, Harlem Heat, Midnight Express, New Age Outlaws and the Killer Bees being inducted. The Powers of Pain didn't do much to merit induction plus they are part of the lawsuit. The Natural Disasters may go in but I think Earthquake will go in before that happens. Scott Steiner doesn't want to be inducted into the HOF as he is at odds with WWE, HHH, Hogan and many others right now. The Rockers won't go in anytime soon due to Marty Jannetty's erratic behavior. I think Jannetty should get some of the DDP Yoga rehab. Demolition is also part of the lawsuit and Bill Eadie has been at odds with the company for years now.
I know this is a fake HOF, but it's really a shame if Demolition never gets in, even if they were a RW knockoff.
Old 01-15-18, 03:48 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Shame to hear the rumors about Paige being finished are true. I hope WWE takes a chance and makes her a color commentator. or something There's more she can give outside of the ring, and she needs to stay busy so she doesn't start taking indie bookings from crappy promotions and wind up paralyzed.
Old 01-15-18, 04:30 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Shame to hear the rumors about Paige being finished are true. I hope WWE takes a chance and makes her a color commentator. or something There's more she can give outside of the ring, and she needs to stay busy so she doesn't start taking indie bookings from crappy promotions and wind up paralyzed.
Someone high up must really like her... she kind of went off the rails with Del Rio, showing up at Impact "in disguise" while she was injured, she had those pics come out (not her fault but that one with the belt was especially bad), and for the most part I thought she was done in the WWE but they still brought her back and in a good position as well. So I have high hopes that they'll let her be the valet for the two newbies and maybe grow into a commentator spot.
Old 01-15-18, 09:48 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen Dana Brooke in a while...holy shit she looks ridiculously hot.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 01-15-18, 10:32 PM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Tim Storm and Jocephus took their NWA rivalry to the Impact Wrestling - Impact Zone on Sunday 1/14/18 for an Empty Arena Match with the winner getting a shot at NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. The match is called by Jeremy Borash and Sam Shaw.
Old 01-15-18, 11:11 PM   #73
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a fuck up by the ref in the main event on Raw tonight. Also, surprised to see Rollins use the stomp again as the finisher. Balor took it hard to mat too.
Old 01-16-18, 12:49 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's the appeal of an empty arena match and why are they using the Impact ring and Impact announcer?
Old 01-16-18, 03:18 AM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post

Time for her to do pr0n

Last edited by Sonic; 01-16-18 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Toned down the nature