Old 02-04-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2018 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Kenny Omega vs. a 9 yr old girl

Old 02-04-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tim Storm shows a dark side...

The NWA is going for the slow burn buildup to their own show, and it's working beautifully.
Old 02-04-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post

I will always love watching that. The hurricanrana always gets me, as does the tornado ddt and the Hayabusa back brain kick. That girl sells better than half the WWE roster. Or it was real and we just watched some horrific child abuse.

Omega talked about it on Jericho's podcast, about how he was concerned it would be career suicide if he actually happened to hurt the girl but how she was just this huge fan of wrestling. I guess there's no license for promotions in Japan because no way that would happen in the US. But Kenny is amazing, and I'm looking forward to whatever he does with Ibushi next.
Old 02-04-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post

No wonder Cornette hates this guy. Thatís fucking embarrassing to watch.
Old 02-05-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She's way better than Sasha Banks
Old 02-05-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty good article that shows the chaos/mess that commentary teams have become and the racial stupidities at WWE.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk.../#6016449641a1
Old 02-05-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Pretty good article that shows the chaos/mess that commentary teams have become and the racial stupidities at WWE.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk.../#6016449641a1

oh god.. seriously?
Old 02-05-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get it, is it a bad thing that they want to have a minority announcer in there? It doesn't help that Otunga was terrible and I'm not a huge fan of Booker, but I feel like Graves is great on both shows. If Booker really wants to beat Saxton up, I'm pretty sure the right move was to move him off of Raw unless Saxton's just being super offensive or something.
Old 02-05-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a bad thing but the ones they have, well 2 of the 3, are simply terrible. Watson, and Booker T are horrible, and Sexton is serviceable. Otunga wasn't good either.

The problem is that there is no reason for the 3 man team. Cole is the boring play by play and there should be a color person. We don't need a face and heel color guys. Graves is good at playing both so why have another person there?
Old 02-05-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having a minority to fill a quota is condescending and does a disservice to the person and the product. Cole has always been horrible, but mainly because he is Vince's puppet. Vince was a terrible announcer himself and the fact that he micromanages WWE, including announcing, makes whatever he touches even worse. I think Graves is good color guy but the problem is like Timber said, there's no need for 3 men team in announcing, especially when the three aren't very good at it. Everything that was said in the article is true. Vince has always had an issue writing for talents that are black, hispanic and up until the Rumble, asians.

R-Truth could have been a top player in the company 10 years ago. He was over and putting up great matches. He was fed to Cena and then stuck in limbo with little Johnny and then Goldust. Mark Henry didn't have anything great written for him until the Hall of Pain gimmick and then he was fed to Cena (and Lesnar).

Vince and WWE failed in finding someone to succeed Jim Ross. They have had great color commentators like CM Punk, Mick Foley and Tazz in the past, but no play by play because Joey Styles wasn't their fit, Mauro Ranallo got bullied out of Smackdown and there aren't that many other promotions where an announcer can hone their skills.
Old 02-05-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would argue that the issue writing for talents is not limited to minority talents, there are a ton of wrestlers they dropped the ball with for one reason or another. I still think Ziggler should be bigger than he is today, where he's only enhancement talent and nothing they can do will get him out of the rut now. Talent is either pushed to the moon (like Reigns) or have to make their own success (like New Day, AJ Styles), though HHH and his NXT movement seems to be changing that, at least a bit.

I was surprised Mauro's back with the company on NXT, and I'd love for him to come back to one of the major brands, but the announcers are all built on bullying.
Old 02-05-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ziggler is right where he should be IMO. There is nothing about him that isn't stolen from someone else. Is he stealing from Michaels or Billy Gunn? He can't cut a promo to save his life. The best thing I can say about him is that he's athletic. That's about it.
Old 02-05-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just added to the WWE Network Vault:
Home Video Classics 1985-1993

Various Home Videos from that time period.

So far there are three from 1985:
Big ,Small,Strange,Strong
Unusual Matches
Bloopers,Bleep and Bodyslams
Old 02-05-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the two-man commentary team of Mauro and Percy Watson at last week's TakeOver was fantastic. Nothing against Nigel McGuinness, but Mauro and Percy worked really well together and weren't constantly stepping over each other to get a word in.
Old 02-05-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Ziggler is right where he should be IMO. There is nothing about him that isn't stolen from someone else. Is he stealing from Michaels or Billy Gunn? He can't cut a promo to save his life. The best thing I can say about him is that he's athletic. That's about it.
Shawn Michaels mentioned that on the Stone Cold podcast. He feels that the biggest problem Ziggler has is that he never changed his gimmick or repertoire once the comparison to HBK began. Shawn said that the moment people were saying that he was a new version of Ric Flair, he quickly did a 180 and adjusted his look, moveset and promos to differentiate himself from Naitch.
Old 02-05-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Booker T was a great wrestler. Unfortunately, he's also a below average color commentator.

I'd much rather see him wrestle than listen to his commentary during matches.
Old 02-06-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't it ironic that WWE shows a video package to celebrate Black History Month of Roman Reigns, Mark Henry, Titus O'Neal and Sasha Banks visiting the Civil Rights Museum just week after Vince told to the media that he won't allow players to protest the national anthem?
Old 02-06-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Booker T was a great wrestler. Unfortunately, he's also a below average color commentator.

I'd much rather see him wrestle than listen to his commentary during matches.
I would rather hear Stevie Ray(much better on the mic) than Booker T and still wonder why Stevie Ray never came to the WWE and reform Harlem Heat(amongst other things).
Old 02-06-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I would rather hear Stevie Ray(much better on the mic) than Booker T and still wonder why Stevie Ray never came to the WWE and reform Harlem Heat(amongst other things).
Booker was estranged from Stevie Ray when Booker came over to WWE during the invasion. I believe that they weren't on speaking terms for like 3-5 years. Stevie was out of shape too and wasn't a good worker by the time he was on the nWo.
Old 02-07-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to PWinsider.com, Vince has step aside from running 205 Live and Triple H has taken over full time with the brand.
Old 02-07-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember 10-15 years ago when Triple H started to take on a bigger backstage role, the internet and some wrestlers were really up in arms about it. It was a huge ongoing scandal. Fast forward to 2018 and I think Triple H is the future of the WWE. He's the best thing about the product. I.E NXT. For that reason alone I really hope the XFL works this time so Vince can fuck off from WWE.
Old 02-07-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
According to PWinsider.com, Vince has step aside from running 205 Live and Triple H has taken over full time with the brand.
I thought last night's Hideo/Roddy Strong match was excellent.
Old 02-07-18, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I wonder is we'll see 205 Live as the "big leagues" for some of the NXT guys?
Old 02-07-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I remember 10-15 years ago when Triple H started to take on a bigger backstage role, the internet and some wrestlers were really up in arms about it. It was a huge ongoing scandal. Fast forward to 2018 and I think Triple H is the future of the WWE. He's the best thing about the product. I.E NXT. For that reason alone I really hope the XFL works this time so Vince can fuck off from WWE.
It was different 10-15 years ago. It was pretty obvious that Triple H made backstage business decisions that only benefited him while they buried talent that was up and coming. There are so many examples of talent that he buried either because of personal issues or because he didn't see anything in them. Chris Masters, CM Punk, Scott Steiner (who to be fair, was out of shape), Booker T, Sting, The Spirit Squad, the 2006-10 Raw Tag Team division, etc.

Over the past several years, he has been business savvy and worked on improving his image as well as the relationships with those outside the company. He was the one that mended relationships with Bruno Sammartino and the Ultimate Warrior. He has made NXT an amazing brand. Yes, he is the future of the company but I wouldn't be surprised to see things like the relationship between himself and CM Punk pop up on a similar fashion with other talent.
Old 02-07-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing I'm hoping is that 205 Live incorporates Mexican Lucha wrestling. They need it to be a real cruiserweight division.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.